This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Congrats to all three. The pandemic disrupted normal development, so they will have to shoulder the responsibility of being principal dancers more suddenly than they otherwise would have. I'm rooting for them. Meanwhile, I'm curious about the future of the Angle brothers, and about Ashley Bouder. 

4 minutes ago, nanushka said:

What have been Peter Walker’s biggest roles? His promotion was more of a surprise to me, though perhaps not undeserved.

Me too, @nanushka! I was expecting Chun Wai Chan rather than Peter Walker. But I know he is highly respected as a partner, as per @vipa's recent comments on the Black Swan pdd with Isabella LaFreniere. Not being a professional dancer,  I am not the best judge of partnering, but that must be a huge plus.   

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Me too, @nanushka! I was expecting Chun Wai Chan rather than Peter Walker. But I know he is highly respected as a partner, as per @vipa's recent comments on the Black Swan pdd with Isabella LaFreniere. Not being a professional dancer,  I am not the best judge of partnering, but that must be a huge plus.   

I assume they want more than 2 seasons under his belt before promotion but I would expect it in the next year if he keeps up his current quality

Edited by cassieallison

I'm so happy for Harrison Ball. Being from London and used to the more classical qualities in male principal roles, he always struck me as someone who was really invested in that aspect of ballet. I recall his interview for the first season of the city.ballet series, when he was in the corps, and how intelligently he spoke on reconciling his ambitions for himself and his impatience via a vis grounding his technique and quality. iirc, he had just been given the Levin award. very glad that his patience and hard work has been rewarded with this promotion. 

congratulations to all the dancers !

I am absolutely thrilled for Furlan! He was my favorite male dancer at Miami City Ballet, so I am ecstatic to see him "make it" all the way to the top at NYCB. So well-deserved. I love his dancing and passion for the art.

I have to admit I haven't seen much of the other promoted men, but I am sure it's deserved as well.

I've been waiting for Ball to get promoted for several years, so this is great news. His classicism is a huge asset to the company. I haven't seen Walker in anything major lately, but he always stood out even when he was in the corps. Height and partnering skills are a huge plus. 

They've been giving Chan some big roles lately (according to Instagram both he and Ball are rehearsing "Spring" in Four Seasons) so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets promoted as soon as the spring season. Given Mejia's ongoing partnership with Tiler Peck (and his wonderful Rubies opposite Hyltin), he shouldn't be too far behind, even though he was just promoted to soloist. 

18 hours ago, cobweb said:

I was expecting Chun Wai Chan rather than Peter Walker.

I am sure it's just a formality that Chun Wai Chan hasn't been promoted yet. I'd be shocked if he weren't in the next few seasons; he is such a gem.

Huge congratulations to the three new principal men! 💐

Edited by mille-feuille

Was lucky to get to go to Gonzalo's farewell. I admit I cried! Gonzalo's strength as a performer, to me, has been how his humanity, kindness and humor project from the stage. I think that's why for me his most iconic role is in Dances at a Gathering. His farewell was full of that humor and the sharing of the spotlight, bringing his partners and Justin Peck out for curtain calls -- Justin carried him off after the Rotunda excerpt. There was a long line of heartfelt hugs and kisses at the end. There's a renewed energy in the company with the promotion of deserving young dancers, but I am glad Gonzalo is sticking around to nurture them, and I will miss his dancing. 

Edited by bellawood
3 minutes ago, cassieallison said:

Does anyone know what Gonzalo is doing next? I saw in several IG posts of dancers saying that they would see him in class. Is he becoming a rep director?

That's what it said in the program! I think his husband's business is pretty established in NYC. He made a beautiful film they showed during the farewell. 

I truly enjoyed seeing Balanchine's Pavane over the weekend, within the "Short Stories" program. Sterling Hyltin was sublime in the brief but touching solo with the big blue scarf. I saw both the originator of the role, McBride back in the day, as well as Kyra Nichols during the 1990s.  Only during this run did a curious idea hit me:  Perhaps Balanchine created this work as a remembrance of Lydia Ivanova - his dear friend who drowned in a boating accident (or murdered, as some have suggested?) in 1924 before Balanchine and other young dancers set off on a tour of Western Europe?  There are several instances during Pavane when the ballerina lifts the blue scarf in a way that suggests going under water. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

Which reminds me -

For those interested in early Balanchine and Lydia Ivanova, I highly recommend reading Elizabeth Kendall's Balanchine and the Lost Muse (2013 - Oxford Univ. Press). I'm sure that it can be found through BA's Amazon link.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, Roberta said:

I truly enjoyed seeing Balanchine's Pavane over the weekend, within the "Short Stories" program. Sterling Hyltin was sublime in the brief but touching solo with the big blue scarf. I saw both the originator of the role, McBride back in the day, as well as Kyra Nichols during the 1990s.  Only during this run did a curious idea hit me:  Perhaps Balanchine created this work as a remembrance of Lydia Ivanova - his dear friend who drowned in a boating accident (or murdered, as some have suggested?) in 1924 before Balanchine and other young dancers set off on a tour of Western Europe?  There are several instances during Pavane when the ballerina lifts the blue scarf in a way that suggests going under water. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

Which reminds me -

For those interested in early Balanchine and Lydia Ivanova, I highly recommend reading Elizabeth Kendall's Balanchine and the Lost Muse (2013 - Oxford Univ. Press). I'm sure that it can be found through BA's Amazon link.

I've read the book and I recommend it as well. I know others have mused that the end of Serenade was inspired by (or a reference to) Lydia Ivanova. She apparently danced a lot with Alexandra Danilova back in the day, both at the Maryinsky and in early Balanchine pieces.

Someone make it make sense:

NYCB performances- guests vaccinated & masks.  Performers, maskless.

Winter ball at the Koch: guests packed in, socializing, eating/drinking, no masks....oh but the (fully vaccinated) minors performing for your entertainment?  N95 masks.

Let me go scream in a pillow now before someone tries to explain this one away.

Edited by Balletwannabe
6 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Someone make it make sense:

NYCB performances- guests vaccinated & masks.  Performers, maskless.

Winter ball at the Koch: guests packed in, socializing, eating/drinking, no masks....oh but the (fully vaccinated) minors performing for your entertainment?  N95 masks.

Let me go scream in a pillow now before someone tries to explain this one away.

I find no rational explanation for many of the restrictions currently in place, but that's just me.  Screaming into a pillow may perhaps be an appropriate response.