This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

14 hours ago, cobweb said:

Gotta agree with that!

Same, as someone who had tickets to see Sara in Firebird on Friday and is sad to hear she won't be gracing us with performances for a while. Kikta is the replacement casting I'd be most excited to see.

Such a loss that the Tanowitzs won't be performed the rest of the season, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to see them before the cast got so winnowed by COVID. I wonder if they'll alter the fall programming to make room for them given that they weren't able to have their full run this spring and seemed to be well-received.

They still haven't updated the casting for this week and now ADW will be out of Symphony in 3 Movements on top of Sara's injury. Are Joe Gordon and ADW still an item? I hope he's masking up if so! Looking forward to seeing his Orpheus. I think this means that Stanley will take the first two Apollos and ADW the second two (a switch from current casting). 

9 hours ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Such a loss that the Tanowitzs won't be performed the rest of the season, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to see them before the cast got so winnowed by COVID. I wonder if they'll alter the fall programming to make room for them given that they weren't able to have their full run this spring and seemed to be well-received.

I hope that is so.  I came up from Virginia to see both the Saturday evening (a great night) and Sunday performances, mostly for the Tanowitz ballets.  It was disappointing, but I was ADW leaving from the theater just before the performance, so it must have been a last-minute decision to cancel.  Hopefully we’ll see them programmed again soon.

LaFreniere gets all 4 Firebirds, good for her. If anyone sees her tonight, please report. 

For MND casting, the Phelan-Huxley-Ball program looks like a no-brainer. I'm surprised and sorry they won't be doing MND for the Spring 2023 season. I kind of look forward to as the inevitable springtime pendant to Nutcracker.  Hoping to see other debuts for the final week of casting. Nadon as Titania? Surely there will be a new Oberon as well. 

1 hour ago, FayBallet said:

Week Five casting is up along with Week 3 changes, but it doesn't look like there's an update on Week Four changes yet.

Sorry to see Hylin out so much. Hope she's OK. On the other hand it's nice to see Laracey get some opportunities. I've been a fan of hers for a while. 

I was at the performance last night. The casting changes weren't published before the show so they were announced before the curtain -- I had been anticipating no Sara but was sad not to see Sterling in 3 Movements. This also meant that there were no principal women performing last night -- at least four of the seven are injured (or perhaps ill) right now. 

Scherzo was quite charming! I hadn't seen it before. KJ Takahashi danced the Anthony Huxley role and was quite good. This was the first of two ballets for Harrison Coll who is a terrific dancer with a lot of personality on stage. He's also taller than I thought he was. Miriam Miller danced the second lead which was originally Isabella LaFreniere. 

Symphony in 3 Movements is more incredible every time I see it. When was it last done -- has it been four or five years? Every moment is interesting to watch and the music is so good. When I think of Sterling in this ballet I think of the incredible pristine attack of her first entrance. Ashley Laracey brought something else to this ballet -- not so much attack (she was no slouch though) but her beautiful arms to the pas with Taylor Stanley. All those strange swimming motions and open and closed hands really resounded last night. 

Isabella LaFreniere was really assured in her Firebird debut. Her last leap out in the manege was huge. What great lines!

57 minutes ago, FayBallet said:

Week Four casting changes are up. For the 5/10 and 5/11 Apollos, Taylor Stanley is replacing Danchig-Waring and Peck replaces Hyltin. Hyltin is back for The Cage on 5/12.

Aside from Danchig-Waring and Stanley, are there any other dancers who have done Apollo?

I'm not sure -- Chase Finlay and Zach Catazaro did it but well . . . did Tyler Angle ever do it in younger years? Who SHOULD do it? Harrison Ball? Jovani Furlan? 

5 hours ago, FayBallet said:

Week Four casting changes are up. For the 5/10 and 5/11 Apollos, Taylor Stanley is replacing Danchig-Waring and Peck replaces Hyltin. Hyltin is back for The Cage on 5/12.

Aside from Danchig-Waring and Stanley, are there any other dancers who have done Apollo?

Based on current casting, they have Sterling Hyltin doing Terpsichore in Apollo, followed immediately  by Hyltin doing the lead role of Euridyce  in  Orpheus.  I don't recall how much difficult dancing is in Orpheus, but they should change the program order (put Agon in as the middle ballet) to give her a break for a few minutes.   

Edited by abatt
13 hours ago, abatt said:

Based on current casting, they have Sterling Hyltin doing Terpsichore in Apollo, followed immediately  by Hyltin doing the lead role of Euridyce  in  Orpheus.  I don't recall how much difficult dancing is in Orpheus, but they should change the program order (put Agon in as the middle ballet) to give her a break for a few minutes.   

I see your point, dancer wise, but I don't think it's good programming to end an evening with Orpheus. Agon is a better ending ballet. I don't think Eurydice dances much in the first half of Orpheus.

22 hours ago, Helene said:

Apollo is the one ballet where I wish that every man who wants to dance the role has the opportunity.

YES! I think it's one of those porous roles that can accommodate a considerable diversity of dancers, and not just in terms of looks—e.g., blond princes—but also in style and presentation. 

Peter Martins got stuck in an "Apollo Must Be Blond" rut and it took Robert Fairchild to bust him out of it.

Isabella LaFreniere is having a real star turn in Firebird, wow. Her performance last night was as good as any past principal's that I've seen, if not better --beautifully elegant and with such a powerful command of the stage. And very clearly articulated "bird" characterization. This woman is going places! ...Diamonds? Symphony in C second movement? I can totally see her doing more of the Kowroski and Mearns rep. The crowd really loved her. Emilie Gerrity was really lovely as the bride as well. Jared Angle returned to the stage after a lonnnng hiatus. His partnering skills were appreciated but I wonder how much longer he'll be on the roster? 

Symphony in Three Movements has been danced better, but this was a solid performance overall. I love this ballet. Major props to Ashley Laracey for filling in FOUR performances when she wasn't supposed to dance any of them. I love her dancing (particularly in more classical works) but this role is not a great fit for her. She doesn't have the attack, and sometimes she blended in too much with the rest of the cast. I kept my eye on Erica Pereira knowing that she's dancing Rubies soon. Rubies seems like an odd match for her but she was very good with this Stravinsky music and modernist style, so it may work. 

Scherzo Fantastique was nice but not particularly memorable. Peck really knows how to choreograph for Anthony Huxley's skills. There is one female corps member who is so out of shape right now it's distracting. I wonder if the company is being more lenient about these things? 

If I had one major problem with the evening it was the bizarre decision to put an intermission between Scherzo (only 14 minutes long, after a 5-minute orchestral performance) and Symphony in Three Movements. Should have been a pause. 

8 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Isabella LaFreniere is having a real star turn in Firebird, wow. Her performance last night was as good as any past principal's that I've seen, if not better --beautifully elegant and with such a powerful command of the stage. And very clearly articulated "bird" characterization. This woman is going places! ...Diamonds? Symphony in C second movement? I can totally see her doing more of the Kowroski and Mearns rep. The crowd really loved her. Emilie Gerrity was really lovely as the bride as well. Jared Angle returned to the stage after a lonnnng hiatus. His partnering skills were appreciated but I wonder how much longer he'll be on the roster? 

Symphony in Three Movements has been danced better, but this was a solid performance overall. I love this ballet. Major props to Ashley Laracey for filling in FOUR performances when she wasn't supposed to dance any of them. I love her dancing (particularly in more classical works) but this role is not a great fit for her. She doesn't have the attack, and sometimes she blended in too much with the rest of the cast. I kept my eye on Erica Pereira knowing that she's dancing Rubies soon. Rubies seems like an odd match for her but she was very good with this Stravinsky music and modernist style, so it may work. 

Scherzo Fantastique was nice but not particularly memorable. Peck really knows how to choreograph for Anthony Huxley's skills. There is one female corps member who is so out of shape right now it's distracting. I wonder if the company is being more lenient about these things? 

If I had one major problem with the evening it was the bizarre decision to put an intermission between Scherzo (only 14 minutes long, after a 5-minute orchestral performance) and Symphony in Three Movements. Should have been a pause. 

I've been following Isabella since she was at YAGP.  I congratulate her in every way!  Her performance last night was like watching a flower bloom that had been planted.  Just beautiful.

As for the mentioned corps woman - the ballet world should be more accepting.  Currently, NYCB's roster has a very thin line up.   Even the men are too thin, too small.  Would today's society shamed Violet off stage?  Or Patti McBride?  Let's hope NYCB finds some more normal bodies, like in Europe.   I remember the year when the NYT's dance critic, Mr. Macauly said the sugar plum fairy ate one too many sugar plums about our beloved, amazing Jennifer Ringer - who was in fact very tiny, as well. 

Oh, and I hope Mr. Peck gives us something in the future.   Most of his ballets look the same and boring these last years.   Maybe he has exhausted his bag of tricks.

Again - Brava Isabella!

Edited by JanLevNYC
3 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

There is one female corps member who is so out of shape right now it's distracting. I wonder if the company is being more lenient about these things? 

If we're talking about the same person, I have to agree with JuliaJ here. I'd add that she is also not dancing very well, which is more problematic.