This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

On 3/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, bluejean said:

I find no rational explanation for many of the restrictions currently in place, but that's just me.  Screaming into a pillow may perhaps be an appropriate response.

One can always move to a more "rational" state like Florida or Texas under enlightened leadership where performances are "free" that way you won't need to scream into a pillow case.

12 hours ago, Novice123 said:

One can always move to a more "rational" state like Florida or Texas under enlightened leadership where performances are "free" that way you won't need to scream into a pillow case.

I understand why you would respond with sarcasm...because no one can make sense of the hypocrisy & double standard of the masking guidelines at the Koch theater.  

On 3/9/2022 at 6:38 AM, Balletwannabe said:

Someone make it make sense:

NYCB performances- guests vaccinated & masks.  Performers, maskless.

Winter ball at the Koch: guests packed in, socializing, eating/drinking, no masks....oh but the (fully vaccinated) minors performing for your entertainment?  N95 masks.

Let me go scream in a pillow now before someone tries to explain this one away.

Scream if you like, but I know from IG that NYCB has robust testing in place for their performers. SAB probably doesn't have funds for testing. Audiences at the Koch were enjoying food (candy, cookies) and drink during recent intermissions, so even though audiences were masked... it's not that different.

An usher at NYCB mentioned that they undergo Covid tests 3 times per week.  I assume it's the same for the dancers.

Also, I would not assume that SAB doesn't have funding to conduct testing.  Schools of all types, as well as arts organizations, received funding from the government to deal with the effects of Covid.

At this point, 2 years in, every one should know for themselves what's works and what's their priority, in a personal or public environment. I have no trouble with people masking up if it makes them feel safer but the same courtesy should be extended to those who are past this stage now.

And with net assets of ~300 millions it should be feasable to conduct (Covid) testing on a regular basis if deemed necessary.

Edited in response to Helene. Yes, absolutely agree and I should have been more direct in what I meant. If there is a mask mandate in place, by a private entity, adhere to it but at the same time those who are requesting it, should also make an effort to enforce it. What was described above, does clearly leave room for upset minds on both sides.

Edited by tarantella2000
Clarification and Response to Helene

First, a number of posts have been removed or edited, because it's just discussing the discussion and/or each other.  So stop it.

---------------------------------------------------

In response to @tarantella2000, that works where the policy is masking or not by choice.  Where the policy is not choice, ie, there are masking requirements to attend performances, whether audience members can unmask when eating and drinking, whether some performers are masked and others aren't, there are several options:  1. Comply 2. Don't go or 3. Don't comply and get ejected, etc.   

Changes to laws and government policy that allow people to be indoors without masks don't require that organizations lift their own, stricter policies.  There are channels and behaviors to make your opinions about it known, and some of them are more influential with the decision makers than others.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:38 AM, Balletwannabe said:

Someone make it make sense:

NYCB performances- guests vaccinated & masks.  Performers, maskless.

Winter ball at the Koch: guests packed in, socializing, eating/drinking, no masks....oh but the (fully vaccinated) minors performing for your entertainment?  N95 masks.

Let me go scream in a pillow now before someone tries to explain this one away.

Why does anyone have to "explain this one away"? It was a decision made by the school regarding the minor age students who were performing for donors/guests who were eating and drinking, unmasked. They aren't professional dancers or employees, they are kids. I am kind of surprised to hear that it bothered people. It is the school policy right now that they wear an N95 (or similar high filtration mask) at all times, so they are very accustomed to wearing them and already dance in them 6 days a week. The day of that performance was the first day that masks were not required inside public school buildings in NYC since they reopened in September 2020. And no, the Koch theater isn't technically "school", but it probably feels that way to the kids. 

I am the parent of one of those students, and I can assure you he did not even think twice about wearing a mask, please don't scream into any pillows on his behalf. In fact I think he might have felt a bit cynical if the school abruptly reversed a policy everyone has to adhere to just for the enjoyment of donors. Its hard to explain how difficult it was on these kids to have such a long interruption to their training and so much social isolation.  Now that they are really back, they want to keep dancing in person and they completely understand that layers of protection will help them do that. The mask policy will likely be revised in the next few weeks, so next time you see a student performance you probably won't see them wearing masks. (Also: SAB does test students regularly, but I am assuming guests were not tested in advance of their attendance at the event.)

I've been looking ahead to the spring programming, trying to map out my schedule. There's not a whole lot that I'm really looking forward to. Divertimento No. 15 is at the top of my list. I'm wondering about casting for several pieces, since likely there will be a good number of debuts. For Firebird, I believe the most recent Firebirds were Kowroski, Reichlen, and Bouder. Two of those are now retired. Any official word on whether Bouder is likely to return for spring? Has Sara Mearns done this role? I assume LaFreniere is likely to get Firebird, since she was scheduled to do it years ago before getting injured. Perhaps there will be another debut -- Phelan? Also they may need a new Apollo, with Garcia retired. Joseph Gordon perhaps, or Jovani Furlan. I assume Miriam Miller will do Agon since she has done it before, but there too they might debut at least one more person.

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

For Firebird, I believe the most recent Firebirds were Kowroski, Reichlen, and Bouder. Two of those are now retired. Any official word on whether Bouder is likely to return for spring? Has Sara Mearns done this role?

Mearns debuted the role during the winter 2020 season. While I'm not crazy about the ballet, I quite enjoyed Mearns in the role.

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

I've been looking ahead to the spring programming, trying to map out my schedule. There's not a whole lot that I'm really looking forward to. Divertimento No. 15 is at the top of my list. I'm wondering about casting for several pieces, since likely there will be a good number of debuts. For Firebird, I believe the most recent Firebirds were Kowroski, Reichlen, and Bouder. Two of those are now retired. Any official word on whether Bouder is likely to return for spring? Has Sara Mearns done this role? I assume LaFreniere is likely to get Firebird, since she was scheduled to do it years ago before getting injured. Perhaps there will be another debut -- Phelan? Also they may need a new Apollo, with Garcia retired. Joseph Gordon perhaps, or Jovani Furlan. I assume Miriam Miller will do Agon since she has done it before, but there too they might debut at least one more person.

I've said his before but the Bouder situation is a strange mystery. I follow her on social media and there has been radio silence on her relationship with NYCB and ballet in general.

Cobweb I too am look at programing. So much is influenced by rehearsal time and COVID restrictions that I think we won't be able to make a judgement about the artistic direction of the new regime until next year. 

The whole Bouder situation is very strange. There have been six farewells and Bouder hasn't attended any of them. Some of the people (like Gonzalo) she danced with for years and she used to be close to Lauren Lovette judging by social media. IDK what happened to her. 

10 hours ago, vipa said:

So much is influenced by rehearsal time and COVID restrictions that I think we won't be able to make a judgement about the artistic direction of the new regime until next year. 

I'm hoping for the best with next year's programming. Should be out before too long, and presumably should be relatively unencumbered by COVID limitations. 

And am I remembering wrong, or wasn't Symphony in C originally scheduled for Spring? Did that get removed too along with the changes they made to the Winter season?

Interesting. How will they cast things? I'd love to see Unity Phelan do the entire Agon. She's danced the ppd many times with Calvin Royal III. However, I also think she was a bit overworked this winter. Didn't she debut three ballets in one week? I wonder how the new casting will go.  Kowroski and Reichlen did a lot of Agon performances. I'm not sure I've seen anyone else dance the female lead (except Miriam Miller) in the past few years. Savannah Durham danced the ppd in her Workshop performance. I wonder if they'll have Amar Ramasar dance it again. He was great in Agon.

11 hours ago, canbelto said:

The whole Bouder situation is very strange. There have been six farewells and Bouder hasn't attended any of them. Some of the people (like Gonzalo) she danced with for years and she used to be close to Lauren Lovette judging by social media. IDK what happened to her. 

Agreed on this.  She has been so quiet.  We know she was injured - I think she had a scooter at one point.  Who knows! Injuries can be a mental game as well.  

On 3/23/2022 at 12:14 PM, Helene said:

All of this is Bouder's own business, unless the company decides it's theirs, or she decides to make it ours.  We certainly have been spoiled by how much dancers share on social media.

Truth to that. I remember when I had plantar fascitis. (Note: I have NO info about Ashley Bouder). Tendon injuries (and many other injuries) are pernicious; long lasting, hard to recover from. My pain came and went on its own schedule. Sometimes I couldn't walk, other times I could safely run without pain. It all depended on how my ankle joint was interacting with my foot in that moment on that day. Even now I have to watch it when I sit in a cab because my ankle can get stuck and not move smoothly for a period of time afterwards. Who knew you could worsen an injury by sitting in a cab!!  Google the ankle and see just how many bones are located in your ankles and feet. A lot can go wrong and when it does all of those things need to consistently go right for a person to return to performing at a high level.  

Bouder says she's a senior in political science at Fordham University. Good for her!

Also, as per Jovani Furlan's IG he's rehearsing Agon. Whoot! Whoot!

Woodward is cast in every show the first week from Thursday-Sunday (sometimes in two different ballets), so she's got a busy week. I'm also surprised about Hod as Russian Girl, since they always cast shorter for that role, but I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with it. Plus, they need to replenish casting for some of these frequently-programmed ballets, with Bouder MIA and Fairchild injured (she recently posted on Instagram about a sprained ankle). Both of those dancers are pushing 40 and will likely retire in the next few years. 

Looks like LaFreniere is dancing the same role as Mearns in Goldberg Variations -- they seem to be priming her to help fill the void left by Kowroski and Reichlen. 

There is a lot of rep typically occupied by Bouder, Fairchild, and Reichlen coming up this season, so it will be interesting to see who gets cast. 

Edited by JuliaJ
12 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Jovani Furlan has a bit on instagram stories of Eve Von Enck dancing the principal solo from Divertimento no. 15 -- I think she's a potential Fairchild/Bouder casting replacement -

Wow - this is a big step up for Emma von Enck. Very welcome, and if it happens I will be there! Curious about other new Divertimento No. 15 casting. In the "digital season" video they put out, Ana Sophia Scheller looked quite lovely, and Abi Stafford was charming. I believe those are the 3rd and 4th solos (before the male principal comes out for his variation). Who else does those roles, or who might be cast? 

6 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Woodward is cast in every show the first week from Thursday-Sunday (sometimes in two different ballets), so she's got a busy week. I'm also surprised about Hod as Russian Girl, since they always cast shorter for that role, but I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with it. Plus, they need to replenish casting for some of these frequently-programmed ballets, with Bouder MIA and Fairchild injured (she recently posted on Instagram about a sprained ankle). Both of those dancers are pushing 40 and will likely retire in the next few years. 

Looks like LaFreniere is dancing the same role as Mearns in Goldberg Variations -- they seem to be priming her to help fill the void left by Kowroski and Reichlen. 

There is a lot of rep typically occupied by Bouder, Fairchild, and Reichlen coming up this season, so it will be interesting to see who gets cast. 

There seems to be a number of dancers who will possibly retire/forced leave over the next year. Very exciting time with lots of potential debuts. I am looking forward to seeing who else will get cast in leads as weeks progress. I would love to see Mira Nadon in Firebird. 

3 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Wow - this is a big step up for Emma von Enck. Very welcome, and if it happens I will be there! Curious about other new Divertimento No. 15 casting. In the "digital season" video they put out, Ana Sophia Scheller looked quite lovely, and Abi Stafford was charming. I believe those are the 3rd and 4th solos (before the male principal comes out for his variation). Who else does those roles, or who might be cast? 

Yes Emma, not Eve! I have a major mental block with her name for some reason. I think of the solo she was doing as the "Tiler" solo because of Tiler's insane fast feet seen here: 

4 hours ago, bellawood said:

Yes Emma, not Eve! I have a major mental block with her name for some reason. I think of the solo she was doing as the "Tiler" solo because of Tiler's insane fast feet seen here: 

Just to add. Here's divert done by an earlier cast. Kyra Nichols at about 6:46 in the same variation. Different from Peck in some choices, but IMO equally as wonderful!