This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

23 hours ago, yukionna4869 said:

A couple of changes to casting so far. 

Most notably for me: Huxley, Chan, and Nadon have been replaced in 4Ts. 

Mira Nadon said she was missing the new ballet because of Covid on Insta Stories, ugh. Hope she's feeling better. She's cast week 4 in Rubies so fingers crossed. As for Pereira, I'm not sure she projects enough sense of humor to dance Rubies but we will see!

Joseph Gordon was exceptional in Divertimento 15 last night. It was a great debut.  I was also very impressed with Woodward in the killer Allegro role.  This ballet is one of my favorites.  It is pure classical sunshine.

Mejia and Peck were terrific in Allegro Brilliante.  Powerful technique from both artists. 

For me, Robbins Afternoon of a Faun is fine but not a great ballet.  It was well performed by Hyltin and Adrian DV

Four T's was in my opinion a mixed bag.  This was the first time I've seen Kikta in Choleric and she was explosive.  Loved it.  Can't wait to see her in more roles.   I also liked Ramasar's precision in his Phlegmatic variation.  It's too bad he is retiring because he still dances so well.  Peter Walker was cushion soft in his landings in  Sanguinic and he was an excellent partner to Hod.  I think Hod needs more time to grow into her role.   Wendy Whelan owned this role during her career, and I have not yet seen anyone who has equaled those memorable performances. I also thought that Villani Velez started out well in Melancholic, but by the end he lost steam.  His body positions weren't stretched out, and he seemed a little underpowered.  (I miss Huxley in this role.)

Edited by abatt

I agree with a lot of abatt's comments about last night's performance. Divertimento No. 15 is one of my favorite ballets. I don't understand why they don't do this more often, season after season like Serenade or Symphony in C. It is a great vehicle for several soloist and principal dancers, with both ensemble work and solo variations, plus a great showcase for eight corps ladies. The endless formations, changing and dissolving and forming from one beautiful shape into another - just fascinating. I found the Andante so moving I teared up. Indiana Woodward looked great in the killer allegro role, like abatt says, and I also though Unity Phelan in the third variation was stunning. 

In Four Temperaments, I too missed Anthony Huxley and his beautifully articulated shapes. Amar Ramasar looked great in Phlegmatic. Will miss him!! Emily Kikta was a blistering Choleric, not sure I've ever seen it so intense. Wow. And Alexa Maxwell looked stellar in the third theme. More of her please. 

15 hours ago, abatt said:

Four T's was in my opinion a mixed bag.  This was the first time I've seen Kikta in Choleric and she was explosive.  Loved it.  Can't wait to see her in more roles.   I also liked Ramasar's precision in his Phlegmatic variation.  It's too bad he is retiring because he still dances so well.  Peter Walker was cushion soft in his landings in  Sanguinic and he was an excellent partner to Hod.  I think Hod needs more time to grow into her role.   Wendy Whelan owned this role during her career, and I have not yet seen anyone who has equaled those memorable performances. I also thought that Villani Velez started out well in Melancholic, but by the end he lost steam.  His body positions weren't stretched out, and he seemed a little underpowered.  (I miss Huxley in this role.)

I've always felt Merrill Ashley was the Sanguinic of my time. I"m not sure I can link the video, but it's on YouTube, as well as videos of Patricia Wilde in the role. Both stellar. I wish I had seen Wendy Whelan dance it, too.

https://youtu.be/G1yEyHqc2eU

Sara Mearns was out of Allegro Brillante last night, replaced by Tiler Peck, while Indiana Woodward replaced Peck in Divertimento. Lovely dancing all around, and IMHO Peck looked more secure and relaxed with Tyler Angle than she does with Roman Mejia, no doubt from years of dancing together. Hope Sara is okay. 

A few more random thoughts about last night's performance (Divertimento-Afternoon of a Faun-Allegro Brillante-4Ts). I am enjoying Miriam MIller a lot this season; she was a lovely, long line blowing along in the breeze in the corps of Allegro Brillante, then a fierce 3rd theme of 4Ts. I miss the elegance of Andrew Scordato as one of the soloist men in Divertimento; I think he did it last time it was revived. I haven't seen him dancing yet this season.

Divertimento - Peter Walker, Aaron Sanz, and Harrison Coll made debuts as the lead men. Walker looked great; I was surprised by his promotion to principal but now I get it. He looks grand and holds the stage; I just wish he could open up his demeanor and appear a little warmer and more engaged with the audience. Harrison Coll and Sebastian Villarini-Velez abound in warmth and good humor, although I wish Villarini-Velez could have a little more clarity in his line (also an issue in Melancholic). Coll should be stepping up to principal soon, IMHO. The Divertimento ladies were Adams, Hod, Laracey, Kikta, and Woodward. Ashley Laracey is absolutely lovely - words fail me. The elegance of her entire upper body, especially the line of her neck and chin, and the articulation of her wrists and fingers, is just beyond. I could spend the whole performance just following her wrists. Kikta and Woodward both were fantastic also. Please, let's see this piece more often. 

Finally, among the four tall ladies of Phlegmatic, I noticed what must be the tallest, thinnest, most angular girl in the entire company. Studying the program, I believe it is apprentice Ava Sautter. She has the tallness lankiness of Christina Clark and the angularity and fierce facial expression of Megan LeCrone. It's quite a combination. I hope to see more of her. 

At the theater, Jerome Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun is simply a gorgeous pas de deux. When one reflects on it afterward it reveals itself as one of the most intellectually stimulating and important of all ballets. I credit the beauty of Sterling Hyltin's performances as the young female dancer with opening my eyes to the significance of this extraordinary work. Both casts in this run —Hyltin with Adrian Danchig-Waring, and Unity Phelan with Christopher Grant (the last three in their debuts)— served the ballet well. In particular the two women looked exquisite, and conveyed effectively the impression of looking in a mirror naturally. That is what is required here; every person can decide the rest for themselves. Howsoever the 34-year-old Robbins stumbled upon the concept of what amounted to an interactive work of art, he unquestionably struck gold in my view. An indispensable ballet which, consequently, would be unfathomable for the company to ever neglect!

All three other works in this program —Divertimento No. 15; Allegro Brillante; and The Four Temperaments— are gems which contain some of Balanchine's most captivating choreography. They provide an assortment of dancers —soloists and members of the corps alike— with unmissable opportunities to impress the audience. Indiana Woodward, Joseph Gordon and Peter Walker in Divertimento, and Emilie Gerrity as well as Miriam Miller in The Four Temperaments were standouts. A performance by Tiler Peck in Allegro Brillante is a familiar balm for the soul, and more necessary now than ever.

Edited by Royal Blue

Saw Sat. Mat. and went away with a smile on my face. What a great company!

I believe it was cobweb who expressed the idea that Divertimento 15 should be a company staple. I agree. It is a gem of a ballet and a showpiece for every cast member. Outstanding in the performance IMO were- Joseph Gordon (love the clarity of movement, and carriage), Unity Phelan who brought style and glamor to the 3rd variation and Indiana Woodward who showed her true ballerina stuff!. Really, the entire cast was excellent.

Afternoon of a Faun was all that it can be with expressive, intelligent, beautiful performances by Sterling Hylin and Adrian Danching-Waring. It's a delicate piece, in that, it relies on sensitive performers to bring it to life. A bad performance can deaden it. I made me sad that Hyltin is retiring next winter. She is in command of her powers.

Allegro Brillante with Tiler Peck and Roman Mejia - all I can say is wow. Peck kept me on the edge of my seat and super alert, because I don't want to miss one word she was saying. Mejia's is a special dancer with a joyful presence. I was particularly delighted by the quality of his partnering. 

2 T's - Olivia Boisson once again so beautiful in the Theme section. I loved Kikta's attack in Choleric. I have to admit I still miss Savannah Lowery in Sanguinic. She projected a free "go for it" style that I always loved. Hod is excellent but I feel like I can see her thinking hard about technique. Of course I can't know what she's thinking, but it reads that way to me.

Start to finish the show was a joy.

Saturday evening same program as Saturday matinee and although different dancers I agree with vipa "start to finish the show was a joy".  I noticed that the orchestra section was fuller than for the program of new works (which for me was a disaster) so maybe people are voting with their feet.

The casts were excellent throughout. Peter Walker in Divertimento growing into a wonderful principal.  Christopher Grant sensual yet innocent in Faun. Tiler Peck superb in Allegro Brilliante with Tyler Angle's secure and attentive partnering.

Four Temperaments very well danced.  Emilie Gerrity and Gilbert Boland III eating up space in Sanquinic.  Adiran Danchig--Waring sleek and smooth in Phlematic.  Megan LeCrone excellent in Choleric.

A really joyous and restorative evening.  The directors should have planned more programs like this coming out of the COVID crisis.  

If Mearns continues to be out next week, what will they do about Firebird & SVC?  Maybe LaFreniere will just be slotted  into all of the Firebirds.

I liked Christopher Grant in Afternoon/Faun.  He looked truly mesmerized when Phelan entered the studio.  Most me play it much cooler.  However, I had two issues with his performance.  There is a complex lift towards the end of the pas.  For a second it seemed like he was in danger of dropping her.  It was not a smooth lift, and he had to adjust Phelan's position on his shoulders in order to avoid disaster.  NOT GOOD.  The other issue I had was when the guy looks at the woman's loose hair.  Most men get close to the mane of hair and perhaps stroke the hair.  Grant decided to bury his face in Phelan's hair.  Totally over the top, unwittingly turning a sensuous moment into comedy, in my opinion.

I had never seen Gerrity in 4T's.  She was very good.  Crisp, fast, very angular.  This is much closer to my expectations for this role than what I saw from Hod.  Also, I don't recall every seeing Bolden in a solo role, but he made a very favorable impression.  Shades of Jock Soto here.  Can't wait to see more of him.  I have to respectfully disagree about Megan LeCrone in Choleric.  She danced small.  This role requires a powerhouse.

Tyler Angle needs to stop dancing white tights roles. 

I was surprised how well Peter Walker danced in Divertimento.  He is usually cast in modern works.  Kudos to Ashley Laracey, who was so beautiful in Divertimento.

Edited by abatt

One more viewing of the Divertimento-Faun-Brillante-4Ts program, yesterday's evening performance. Like vipa said about the matinee, it was a total joy. For Divertimento, a few moments, perhaps idiosyncratic to me, stand out - Ashley Laracey's arrival onstage to deliver the third variation, her walk in on demi-pointe and the astounding loveliness of the opening and carriage of her arms. And in the Menuet, which I'm loving, there's a moment when Christina Clark and Malorie Lundgren side by side suddenly grand jete, in such beautiful time and unison that it's taken me by surprise and left me breathless in the three performances of this program I've seen. 

Gilbert Bolden is a big guy. But I agree with others that he made a very good impression in Sanguinic. I liked the cleanness and bigness of his dancing. Choleric was Megan LeCrone. I love her, but after seeing Emily Kikta do Choleric, I just want to see her again. 

I think the turnover of talent is doing wonders for the company. It is exciting to see debuts every night, and the dancers are rising to the occasion. 

Last night's performance was one of those evenings when I walk out of the Lincoln Center plaza just so grateful to live in NYC and get to experience such wonderful choreography and dancing. What an excellent program; I wish more of them were this well curated. Before the show, when the announcer stated that Tiler Peck would be replaced in Divertimento no. 5 there was an audible audience grown, but I was thrilled to see Indiana Woodward in the role because she really knocked it out of the park. Such speed and crisp technique and charming stage presence -- so, so excited to see more of her in these virtuoso principal roles. I had never seen Peter Walker lead a classical piece and he was great -- really clean landings on the double tours. Management has been making good casting decisions lately, for the most part. 

Angle was better than I expected in Allegro Brillante; he did fine with the pirouettes and big assemblés. But yeah, time to move on from the white tight roles. Tiler Peck was brilliant as always but surprisingly didn't throw in any triple pirouettes in her solo. I wonder if Angle's casting was a last resort with Anthony Huxley out of commission. (Huxley has danced it with both Fairchild and Pereira, if I recall, and he's amazing in the role.) Ball would have been really good in this but it seems like he might be out commission right now too. 

Four Temperaments is one of my absolute favorites -- loved Danchig-Waring as Phlegmatic in particular. Bolden really impressed; he's definitely an up and comer. LeCrone was ok; I was disappointed to not see Nadon, who was originally supposed to dance last night. 

Hi! Saw yesterday's matinee and came away with the same feel-good vibes as everyone on the board.

Divert was wonderful and Indiana is so lovely right now. My only criticism is I think she needs to deaden those shoes a bit more.

Faun: ADW and Sterling were wonderful -- obviously this is one of Sterling's signature roles -- but every time I see this I think it would be great to see promising corps members dance this ballet (it happens more often with guys than the girls, I know Grant and Kennard Henson have done it recently). The characters are so young.

There was dead silence in the theater (which was very full) during Tiler's Allegro solo. I don't think anyone was breathing!

I agree with Vipa about Hod in Sanguinic -- she is technically secure but it felt like a series of moves to get through. She did not display much musicality. It made me think of some wonderful Sanguinics from the past, Ana Sophia Scheller and (particularly) Jennie Somogyi. Kikta REALLY went for it, almost wild. She was much more free than in her debut. Amar got a solo curtain call.

It occurred to me looking at the principals that after Sterling retires there will only be 6 principal women! I can't imagine they are not going to promote Emilie Gerrity soonish?  This Rubies casting feels like a bit of an audition for Pereira. 

3 minutes ago, bellawood said:

It occurred to me looking at the principals that after Sterling retires there will only be 6 principal women! I can't imagine they are not going to promote Emilie Gerrity soonish?

And Ashley Bouder is out for unknown reasons for an extended period. I hope they promote Gerrity, and maybe even one already from the new group of soloists. MHO, Emily Kikta is the most ready from the new group - she has reliably been performing solo roles for almost her entire time in the corps, like 10 years I think. She has the experience and reliability, and is ready for more!

Sunday matinee had both Tanowitz ballets cancelled.

Emanon

(pause)

Taylor Stanley’s Runaway solo

(intermission)

Partita

Too many people sick and injured to perform the whole planned program. If there’s a bunch of COVID, hopefully folks will be back quickly. Here’s to some good luck for next week!  

In and out in 1:25.

Edited by KikiRVA
2 hours ago, cobweb said:

And Ashley Bouder is out for unknown reasons for an extended period. I hope they promote Gerrity, and maybe even one already from the new group of soloists. MHO, Emily Kikta is the most ready from the new group - she has reliably been performing solo roles for almost her entire time in the corps, like 10 years I think. She has the experience and reliability, and is ready for more!

I agree regarding Emily Kikta-she IS ready for more!

I thought this afternoon's performance was too short.  It was like a 2/3rd's program, but at full price.  I get that injuries and illness have caused difficulty, but they could have thrown in an Agon pas, the main Apollo pas or the Rubies pas to fill out the rest of the program so that it was a fair length.  1 hr 25 min including a 20 minute intermission is a bit cheap in my opinion.

This was my first viewing of Partita.  I liked it and would see it again.  Justin Peck was in the audience.  He arrived at the intermission and only watched his ballet.

The Jamar Roberts piece was pretty but undistinguished.  It looked like beginners choreography. 

Tyler Stanley was great in his solo from Runaway.

So now that we know Mearns is going to be out for a period of time, I'm voting for Emily Kikta to take on her roles in Firebird.  

Edited by abatt