This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

I didn't want to sound inflexible. I do like some casting tension – Mahler casts his violas in violins' parts for great effect.

Good points about Rubies being built around the tall girl. And wasn't the Siren in Prodigal Son on tall, long-limbed Felia Doubrovska where the contrast in sizes is important? Ashley is always a bit startling to see darting through in the Emeralds video – almost as if she's in another work. Karen von Aroldingen's body seems letter perfect for the earthy first pas of the Violin Concerto. Balanchine – or MMorris – could do crazy things in casting because they wrote the choreography. Justin Peck nicely switched a male/female solo role at Vail last year (can't remember specifically who for who). Drew and I may indeed be switching roles here, or I may be just contradicting myself.

Edited by Quiggin

I'm more-or-less witholding full judgment on Mearns until Nutcracker and on Bouder until the end of Spring 2024.

Based on the other NYCB ballerinas (Kowroski, Ringer, Mearns, Peck) that I've watched return from long absences, stage presence returns fully around the end of Season 1, technical ability returns around the end of Season 2, and the body returns around the end of Season 3 (e.g. Mearns' slow start in Concerto Barocco last season and the slow return of Peck's arabesque after injury). None of them would have escaped a cull if they were judged purely on their performance/technique/conditioning during the first season that they returned to the stage:  "ballet thin" is a non-normative physical state...and it's taken every dancer that I've seen almost a year of steady performance to return to it, even if they're "normal-person thin" on returning to the stage.

For me, the sad thing about Bouder's return last year was that she was following a pretty normal recovery trajectory for someone returning from a long absence before she was re-injured. Her first return performance in Scotch Symphony was technically blurred. But, by the end of the season, she looked about 80% back to normal in terms of presentation and technique in Vienna Waltzes...and Bouder's 80% is better than most dancers' 100%.  Anyway, I look forward to seeing what she does with Emeralds this time around:  she brought a more adult perspective to her most recent La Source and Dances at a Gathering, so I'm curious to see how she's changed in her other Verdy roles.

4 hours ago, choriamb said:

I'm more-or-less witholding full judgment on Mearns until Nutcracker

I saw Mearns at the Vall Dance Festival in August. She looked very fit and was wonderful in Symphony in C pas, Diamonds pas, and the opening section of Mozartiana. All done in the same performance, in the Vail high altitude. She was also striking in new choreography later that week. Barring any new issues, Mearns is on her game.

Tiler Peck is a different situation than most dancers IMO. Her musicality, technique and artistry are so overwhelming that a slightly low arabesque isn't a big deal in most roles. 

Bouder's calling card has always been her speed and technique. IMO she was just beginning to develop in terms of artistic choices and musicality when she was out for her serious injury.  It seems unlikely that she'll go back to her usual rep, which means developing in other areas. I don't envy management in casting her. It's a zero sum game. I heard Merrill Ashley, in an interview, say she asked for certain technically easier roles towards the end of her career, but was told other dancers had that rep already.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:12 AM, On Pointe said:

There are not enough positions at NYCB for the many good dancers in the world who are not "larger".   If there was a  "massive untapped world of fantastic ballet dancers" out in the world,  they'd be all over YouTube.    Somebody somewhere would have seen them.   

People are finding dancers on YouTube, but not ballet companies. Beyonce found many of her dancers in her current tour from YouTube (ballet trained). Twyla Tharp cast a few young dancers for her City Center season (2022 or 2021 I believe) from YouTube. There were also dancers featured at Vail that Heather and Damian found on YouTube.

Edited by BalanchineFan
10 hours ago, vipa said:

I saw Mearns at the Vall Dance Festival in August. She looked very fit and was wonderful in Symphony in C pas, Diamonds pas, and the opening section of Mozartiana. All done in the same performance, in the Vail high altitude. She was also striking in new choreography later that week. Barring any new issues, Mearns is on her game.

Tiler Peck is a different situation than most dancers IMO. Her musicality, technique and artistry are so overwhelming that a slightly low arabesque isn't a big deal in most roles. 

Bouder's calling card has always been her speed and technique. IMO she was just beginning to develop in terms of artistic choices and musicality when she was out for her serious injury.  It seems unlikely that she'll go back to her usual rep, which means developing in other areas. I don't envy management in casting her. It's a zero sum game. I heard Merrill Ashley, in an interview, say she asked for certain technically easier roles towards the end of her career, but was told other dancers had that rep already.

It's also a question of allocating resources.  As an example, since Paz has left, I think they need a new person to take over the role of the Cocquette in Sonnambula.  This is a long skirt, easy role that might suit Bouder.  But how many more years would Bouder realistically be around to perform a new role?  This season and maybe one more revival in two years?  It's a better investment to teach the role to a soloist who might be around to take on the role for several revival cycles going forward. 

Looking at the Fall schedule, I would be unpleasantly surprised to see Bouder returning to various old roles like Stars and Stripes, Tsch Piano Concerto No 2 or even the Russian Girl in Serenade.   They are all very difficult roles.  Western is where she got injured a few years ago, so I don't think she would want to return to that role.  By the way, Bouder alternated with Lovette in Western.  Lovette could not do any of the Italian fouettes, whereas Bouder did them flawlessly.  I hope she can one day return to that level, but it seems unlikely.

Edited by abatt
2 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

People are finding dancers on YouTube, but not ballet companies. Beyonce found many of her dancers in her current tour from YouTube (ballet trained). Twyla Tharp cast a few young dancers for her City Center season (2022 or 2021 I believe) from YouTube. There were also dancers featured at Vail that Heather and Damian found on YouTube.

Christopher Wheeldon found his star for MJ The Musical, Myles Frost, on Youtube.  Frost went on to win the Tony Award.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:58 PM, Passat66 said:

I have many questions about Suzy Pilarre.  How do you let go of a woman that age? How many teachers are left that were actually taught by Balanchine?  And why would Jonathan Stafford take over running the school - isn't that how they got into trouble before?  One man with too much power.

I think Darla Hoover must be out after a year, too. You would think they would have to have a press release or similar. Was Peter Martins ever Artistic Director AND Dean of Faculty? I thought that was Kay Mazzo forever. 

1 hour ago, bellawood said:

I think Darla Hoover must be out after a year, too. You would think they would have to have a press release or similar. Was Peter Martins ever Artistic Director AND Dean of Faculty? I thought that was Kay Mazzo forever. 

Martins held the title of artistic director and chair of faculty at SAB at the time of his resignation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/arts/dance/peter-martins-resigns-ballet.html

When Hoover was appointed, it was announced she was replacing Kay Mazzo, who was retiring as chair of faculty (but continuing as an SAB faculty member). I believe Mazzo's title was "co-chair of faculty" while Martins was at the helm of SAB.

Edited by fondoffouettes

As a parent of an SAB student I can say that we're all dumbfounded by how SAB chose to reference Pilarre's departure (the students loved her) when they had many nice things to say about Darla & Ware leaving.  This is the exact line about Pilarre, nothing more or less: "Susan Pilarre will not be returning to the faculty for the 2023-24 Winter Term"

38 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

As a parent of an SAB student I can say that we're all dumbfounded by how SAB chose to reference Pilarre's departure (the students loved her) when they had many nice things to say about Darla & Ware leaving.  This is the exact line about Pilarre, nothing more or less: "Susan Pilarre will not be returning to the faculty for the 2023-24 Winter Term"

That line was written in consultation with SAB's lawyers, for sure.

On 9/2/2023 at 5:20 PM, sanity said:

Idk, this gives "the customer is always right" energy. You paid for seats so you...get to dictate how someone's career goes? You paid for seats so...if the performance isn't stellar she must be sidelined indefinitely? I would hope management takes other things into account; the fact she's a principal, how long she's been at the company, or, I don't know...that she's a person and a coworker and deserves basic compassion and respect. this whole thing really grinds my gears. i joined this board yesterday just to comment this. Why not root for her recovery and success until we receive information otherwise? There's a really nasty undertone (honestly, OVERtone) to the discussion about Bouder.

And for what it's worth, I'd love for larger dancers to join NYCB. There is a massive untapped world of fantastic ballet dancers out there who could do all of NYCB's repertoire justice, who were never given opportunities or advanced training or apprenticeships because of their bodies.

Why is ballet dying, why is classical music dying, why is Opera dying?  Why are all of these "high art" forms dying even though they are supported by self-identified NYC liberals?  I believe the answer is self-evident.

51 minutes ago, uptowner said:

FYI they've opened 3rd ring at least for Jewels. 

Thanks for the head up, pirouette. Just got tickets for Jewels and also some other tickets with the discount code BOM24. 30% off select shows. The code is good until Sept. 24

On 9/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, abatt said:

Agreed.  Tyler Angle's casting has become a real problem due to weight issues.  

I disagree. I also find it strange to assume so much personal preference goes into casting. I've run a dance company and sometimes you're just looking around for someone who can do the role that won't eat up all of your available rehearsal time. Or you have young women debuting the role who need a steady and experienced partner. Aren't we getting a lot of debuts this season?

I love Tyler Angle and I'm glad he's dancing with his bald head onstage whatever his weight!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

What information did you get about Darla Hoover and Sheryl Ware leaving? I'm an SAB patron and I don't think I've been sent anything. Are they looking for a new person to replace Darla Hoover? I was looking forward to her tenure.

12 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Of course there are lots of terrific dancers making YouTube videos.  I was referring to the claim that the world was full of fantastic "larger" ballet dancers and many with less than ideal bodies who could perform NYCB's rep if only given a chance.  The fact is that there are not a lot of overweight women who are competent en pointe.  And,  like it or not,  ballet is a classical art form with a definite aesthetic.  I just watched the wonderful new commercial for NYCB's 75th Anniversary season,  which features their wide variety of dancers of different heights,  body types and skin colors.  But nobody is overweight,  and they all look like ballet dancers.   

A few years ago in the UK,  Wayne Sleep produced and starred in a reality series featuring overweight people who always wanted to be ballet dancers.   While they may have realized their personal dreams,  even the best of them are barely competent.  Ballet is not for fat people.

2 hours ago, Novice123 said:

Why is ballet dying, why is classical music dying, why is Opera dying?  Why are all of these "high art" forms dying even though they are supported by self-identified NYC liberals?  I believe the answer is self-evident.

Okay,  I give.  What is this self-evident answer?

34 minutes ago, On Pointe said:

Of course there are lots of terrific dancers making YouTube videos.  I was referring to the claim that the world was full of fantastic "larger" ballet dancers and many with less than ideal bodies who could perform NYCB's rep if only given a chance.  The fact is that there are not a lot of overweight women who are competent en pointe.  And,  like it or not,  ballet is a classical art form with a definite aesthetic.  I just watched the wonderful new commercial for NYCB's 75th Anniversary season,  which features their wide variety of dancers of different heights,  body types and skin colors.  But nobody is overweight,  and they all look like ballet dancers.   

A few years ago in the UK,  Wayne Sleep produced and starred in a reality series featuring overweight people who always wanted to be ballet dancers.   While they may have realized their personal dreams,  even the best of them are barely competent.  Ballet is not for fat people.

There is a very large range between "larger than your average NYCB dancer" (or other ballet company of your choice) and "fat." Under no reasonable metric is Bouder, for example, "fat."

30 minutes ago, abatt said:

Very excited to see Nadon and Davide R. debut in Emeralds.  In fact, there are so many exciting debuts.  Can't wait!

I agree! They have magic chemistry together. I was sad to not see Olivia MacKinnon cast. Her IG of her rehearsing  Emeralds was fantastic. Seems like a great role for her.

Edited by Fernie M
6 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

So strange and dramatic to fire a beloved Balanchine trained teacher. I also think it's strange for Stafford to take over the job and not let Aesha Ash step in.  

Any more news on the potential musicians' strike at NYCB? https://www.westsiderag.com/2023/09/05/exclusive-new-york-city-ballet-musicians-poised-to-strike-over-pay-benefits

The company could use recorded music, but I doubt the members of other unions would cross the picket lines -- dancers, stage hands, etc.

My memory is vague on this - didn't NYCB initially say they would pay the musicians in full during the COVID shut-down and then reneged? Or am I thinking of some other company?

Lots to look forward to in the new casting. I’m kind of surprised to see Christina Clark as the “tall girl” in Rubies. She is probably the tallest woman in the company right now, but I think of her as more languid, without the force needed for this role. Ashley Hod and Miriam Miller seem much more obvious candidates, as well as some others I would pick from the corps (MT MacKinnon, Corti). But wishing her well! I’ll be there and look forward to it. 

4 hours ago, aurora said:

There is a very large range between "larger than your average NYCB dancer" (or other ballet company of your choice) and "fat." Under no reasonable metric is Bouder, for example, "fat."

Bouder was not under discussion.  The dancers on Wayne Sleep's show were fat,  not "not in their best shape".  It took two men to briefly lift their Swan Queen.  They never attempted to dance on pointe.