This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

On 9/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, Quiggin said:

Justin Peck nicely switched a male/female solo role at Vail last year (can't remember specifically who for who). Drew and I may indeed be switching roles here, or I may be just contradicting myself.

Peck has cast The Times Are Racing without regards to gender. Both the tap "couple" and another couple in the piece (two roles) have been both same -sex coupled and cis coupled.

5 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Bouder was not under discussion.  The dancers on Wayne Sleep's show were fat,  not "not in their best shape".  It took two men to briefly lift their Swan Queen.  They never attempted to dance on pointe.

Wayne Sleep's show  was not the main point of the discussion. If it was it would not have been taking place on the NYCB board.

In the section I quote you said:

Of course there are lots of terrific dancers making YouTube videos.  I was referring to the claim that the world was full of fantastic "larger" ballet dancers and many with less than ideal bodies who could perform NYCB's rep if only given a chance.  The fact is that there are not a lot of overweight women who are competent en pointe.  And,  like it or not,  ballet is a classical art form with a definite aesthetic.  I just watched the wonderful new commercial for NYCB's 75th Anniversary season,  which features their wide variety of dancers of different heights,  body types and skin colors.  But nobody is overweight,  and they all look like ballet dancers. 

The person claiming that there were many larger dancers who could do NYCB's rep never spoke of "overweight people." You are the one who interpreted it thus.

15 hours ago, uptowner said:

FYI they've opened 3rd ring at least for Jewels. 

And the seats are just as expensive as those in the 2nd ring. Rows D and E are not even available. When is the company going to realize that not everyone can afford $82 (or more) + service fees for a decent seat?

Musicians at the New York City Ballet, whose home is at Lincoln Center, voted 54-2 this past weekend to walk out on the job if they can’t come to an agreement on a new contract, according to a person familiar with the vote who was not authorized to discuss it publicly. The most recent contract expired last week, and negotiations over a new one have stalled.

15 minutes ago, abatt said:

Musicians at the New York City Ballet, whose home is at Lincoln Center, voted 54-2 this past weekend to walk out on the job if they can’t come to an agreement on a new contract, according to a person familiar with the vote who was not authorized to discuss it publicly. The most recent contract expired last week, and negotiations over a new one have stalled.

I subscribe to Google Alert for NYCB and this is the only announcement I've received far - published yesterday: https://www.westsiderag.com/2023/09/05/exclusive-new-york-city-ballet-musicians-poised-to-strike-over-pay-benefits

It would be financially terrible for NYCB to cancel this anniversary season, which they've already poured a lot of money into for all the marketing. Plus all the ticket sales that will be lost. I had no idea that the musicians took a pay cut post-COVID. I hope they come to an agreement soon. 

I found  a source on the broken promise by NYCB to pay the musicians during COVID. No wonder they're angry!

On Aug. 6, 2021, Arbitrator Barry Peek issued an award upholding New York City Ballet’s (“NYCB”) refusal to pay its musicians any compensation whatsoever during the 2020-21 season. The musicians of the NYCB orchestra, represented by Local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians, have been without any pay since June 2020 – despite the fact that NYCB had agreed on March 24, 2020, to guarantee twenty-four weeks of employment and compensation to the musicians during the 2020-21 season. NYCB management’s decision not to compensate its orchestra for the 2020-2021 season will now stand.

https://slippedisc.com/2021/08/ny-city-ballet-is-told-it-does-not-have-to-pay-its-orchestra/

5 hours ago, aurora said:

Wayne Sleep's show  was not the main point of the discussion. If it was it would not have been taking place on the NYCB board.

In the section I quote you said:

The person claiming that there were many larger dancers who could do NYCB's rep never spoke of "overweight people." You are the one who interpreted it thus.

Considering that there are several women well over six feet tall on pointe in NYCB,  and a number of tall men,  I think that interpreting "larger" to refer to people who are overweight,  at least in ballet terms,  is reasonable.

15 hours ago, cobweb said:

Lots to look forward to in the new casting. I’m kind of surprised to see Christina Clark as the “tall girl” in Rubies. She is probably the tallest woman in the company right now, but I think of her as more languid, without the force needed for this role. Ashley Hod and Miriam Miller seem much more obvious candidates, as well as some others I would pick from the corps (MT MacKinnon, Corti). But wishing her well! I’ll be there and look forward to it. 

It’s not like Tall Girl has a lot of petit allegro. Christina Clark was so lovely in the Haieff, I’m glad she’s getting more roles. 

SAB just sent out email that elaborates (slightly) on some of the staff changes discussed here. Of special note: Suzanne Farrell will be a visiting teacher!

Chair of Faculty Darla Hoover informed us in August that she was stepping down from her position and ending her tenure on SAB’s faculty effective with the start of this Winter Term. We extend our sincere thanks to Darla for her leadership and wish her all the best in her next steps. Artistic Director Jonathan Stafford has consequently added the role of Chair of Faculty to his responsibilities and will now supervise the day-to-day work of the faculty alongside his existing oversight of SAB’s artistic functions. In addition, Susan Pilarre will not be returning to the faculty for the 2023-24 Winter Term.  

Joining our faculty this year will be Christopher Charles McDaniel. Christopher first entered our studios as a National Visiting Fellow and returned as a Teaching Apprentice for the past two years while concluding his performing career with Dance Theatre of Harlem.   

New Associate Faculty members Madison Hicks and Taylor LaBruzzo, both Juilliard alumnae, will teach weekly choreography composition and contemporary dance classes for intermediate and advanced students. While ballet technique centered on the Balanchine aesthetic remains at the core of our syllabus, this expanded curriculum will help SAB continue to ensure our students have vital exposure to the choreographic innovation and styles found in many of today’s leading ballet companies.   
We are also pleased to announce that SAB and NYCB alumni
Debra Austin and Silas Farley will be this year’s Principal Guest Teachers, and they will be complemented by an exciting slate of guest teachers for our advanced students that will include Suzanne Farrell, Justin Peck, Alexei Ratmansky, and numerous company directors from around the U.S and abroad. Our Teaching Apprentices will be NYCB dancers Olivia MacKinnon and Harrison Coll as well as former National Visiting Fellow Michael Crawford.  

13 minutes ago, AG said:

Following up on others’ press reports here about the NYCB musicians’ strike authorization, this Playbill article includes a statement from NYCB:

https://playbill.com/article/new-york-city-ballet-orchestra-passes-strike-authorization?utm_source=The+Dance+Edit&utm_campaign=718c1a7734-TheDanceEdit20201119_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_71d672be74-718c1a7734-69953786

I hope they get what they're asking for. The variety of music the audience is able to hear at NYCB shows is one of the reasons I don't mind coughing up so much money for tickets. In a way I always feel like I'm getting two performances for the price of one. 

These two lines stand out from the New York City Ballet's statement:

"A primary issue during the negotiations has been the musicians' refusal to make reasonable contributions for healthcare benefits" (2nd paragraph)

"NYCB has also offered to . . . make a 3% wage increase for the 2023-24 season." (5th paragraph)

Company management and the union may have very different definitions of the word "reasonable" in this context. Any health care increase at all would automatically reduce that 3% wage increase. How much of a health care "contribution" (read: actual reduction in the proposed wage increase) the company management is asking for only they and the union know.

6 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

On the eve of the company’s 75th anniversary season, I'd say the musicians' bargaining position is very strong.

The union has every incentive to hold out. Every week with canned music - or no weeks at all - won't make for much of a 75th anniversary. And everyone knows it.

Edited by miliosr

I cannot imagine any scenario in which unionized dancers and stage hands cross picket lines--even if there were some who felt unsympathetic to the musicians or just desperate to dance. (And I imagine many audience members wouldn't be comfortable crossing picket lines either.)

15 hours ago, miliosr said:

These two lines stand out from the New York City Ballet's statement:

"A primary issue during the negotiations has been the musicians' refusal to make reasonable contributions for healthcare benefits" (2nd paragraph)

"NYCB has also offered to . . . make a 3% wage increase for the 2023-24 season." (5th paragraph)

Company management and the union may have very different definitions of the word "reasonable" in this context. Any health care increase at all would automatically reduce that 3% wage increase. How much of a health care "contribution" (read: actual reduction in the proposed wage increase) the company management is asking for only they and the union know.

The union has every incentive to hold out. Every week with canned music - or no weeks at all - won't make for much of a 75th anniversary. And everyone knows it.

I will bet both of my legs that the health care contribution will be higher than the 3% wage increase.  Does anyone want to take my bet.  If I lose, I'll send you my legs, nice cut and frozen.  

1 hour ago, Novice123 said:

I will bet both of my legs that the health care contribution will be higher than the 3% wage increase.  Does anyone want to take my bet.  If I lose, I'll send you my legs, nice cut and frozen.  

Okay I'll take this bet, except I really would prefer you not send me your legs if I win.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:27 PM, cobweb said:

Lots to look forward to in the new casting. I’m kind of surprised to see Christina Clark as the “tall girl” in Rubies. She is probably the tallest woman in the company right now, but I think of her as more languid, without the force needed for this role. Ashley Hod and Miriam Miller seem much more obvious candidates, as well as some others I would pick from the corps (MT MacKinnon, Corti). But wishing her well! I’ll be there and look forward to it. 

Also missing from the Jewels lineup are Veyette and Pereira, both of whom previously have done Rubies.