This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

1 hour ago, pirouette said:

"MUSICIANS OF THE NEW YORK CITY BALLET ORCHESTRA TO RALLY FOR A FAIR CONTRACT IN FRONT OF LINCOLN CENTER ON OPENING NIGHT" — full post here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxI2Cr7OtZ0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA== 

I really hope they come to an agreement prior to this. Selfishly, I have tickets for opening night and it can’t be the same with canned music.  

5 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

I really hope they come to an agreement prior to this. Selfishly, I have tickets for opening night and it can’t be the same with canned music.  

The wording of their post is a little confusing to me. They're calling it a "Prelude to the Diamond Gala" ... so do they intend to perform? Or will they strike? I cannot imagine the show will proceed if the musicians walk out (as people have noted previously, dancers and stagehands are unlikely to cross picket lines). 

51 minutes ago, pirouette said:I cannot imagine the show will proceed if the musicians walk out (as people have noted previously, dancers and stagehands are unlikely to cross picket lines). 

And some audience members (like myself) won’t want to either. Arghhhhhh. The musicians’ asks sound completely reasonable and there was just that big NYT piece about how healthy ticket sales and audience development are. Do the right thing City Ballet! 

It sounds to me like the rally is before the performance, and nothing was said in that post about actually going on strike for opening night. I would think that this is to generate more publicity for their issues with the NYCB audience and put pressure on the company to come to terms.

7 minutes ago, FPF said:

It sounds to me like the rally is before the performance, and nothing was said in that post about actually going on strike for opening night. I would think that this is to generate more publicity for their issues with the NYCB audience and put pressure on the company to come to terms.

Yes, that's how I read it as well, in light of this point (emphasis added):

In early September, musicians overwhelmingly voted to authorize a strike, which would allow the orchestra to strike if contract talks break down.

I don't think they can have their rally on Lincoln Center property.  I recall that when the musicians of the Met Opera were protesting, they had to do it across the street (Dante Park).  

On a separate note, no casting yet for week 2.  Seems a bit late.

Edited by abatt
4 minutes ago, FPF said:

I was confused to see P. Walker in the cast list and checked the NYCB website to see who the other Walker was--there isn't one.

One of the new apprentices is named Kloe Walker. They haven't updated the site with the new apprentices, but I got an updated company roster in the mail recently.

15 hours ago, pirouette said:

I noticed that Tiler Peck is not casted at all for Week 2. I wonder if she's taking a break this season to be with family — she's been posting on Instagram regarding her dad's health issues. She's still on the Week 1 casting sheet, but I'm not sure if that will be updated.

Tiler Peck performed at the opening gala this week for the new  Performing Arts Center downtown.  According to the article she did the moonwalk on pointe.

An Arts Center Opens at Ground Zero With Stars, Onstage and Off - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

19 hours ago, pirouette said:

I noticed that Tiler Peck is not casted at all for Week 2. I wonder if she's taking a break this season to be with family — she's been posting on Instagram regarding her dad's health issues. She's still on the Week 1 casting sheet, but I'm not sure if that will be updated.

There's not SO much in week 2 that I would consider to be in her regular rep: Agon, Slaughter, Bourree Fantasque, Western Symphony.

Does she usually dance Stars & Stripes or Tarantella?

On 9/14/2023 at 7:25 PM, FPF said:

I was confused to see P. Walker in the cast list and checked the NYCB website to see who the other Walker was--there isn't one.

Wouldn't P. Walker still be Peter Walker?   I know a lot of dancers have been retiring, but I don't remember Walker retiring.  The updated NYCB roster I received from NYCB about a week ago still includes him.

1 hour ago, NinaFan said:

Wouldn't P. Walker still be Peter Walker?   I know a lot of dancers have been retiring, but I don't remember Walker retiring.  The updated NYCB roster I received from NYCB about a week ago still includes him.

I think the confusion was that there didn't seem to be a second Walker causing the need for Peter's initial. But it sounds like the new apprentice explains that.

58 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I think the confusion was that there didn't seem to be a second Walker causing the need for Peter's initial. But it sounds like the new apprentice explains that.

They still do "T. Peck" even though Justin retired at least five years ago, right? And T. Angle is still T. Angle. 

12 hours ago, bellawood said:

They still do "T. Peck" even though Justin retired at least five years ago, right? And T. Angle is still T. Angle. 

Maria Kowrowski returned to perform once after her retirement. So did Robert LaFosse (more then once!). Maybe, once you’re T. Peck, you’re always T. Peck. I suppose it’s not out of the question that Justin Peck might also set foot onstage again, in some role or another. 

Edited by BalanchineFan

Since both Justin is a frequent choreographer at the company, why wouldn't they continue to use his first initial.  In fact, both Tiler and Justin are choreographing this season at the company, so it would be very confusing not to include first initials. 

On 9/5/2023 at 7:07 PM, BalanchineFan said:

What information did you get about Darla Hoover and Sheryl Ware leaving? I'm an SAB patron and I don't think I've been sent anything. Are they looking for a new person to replace Darla Hoover? I was looking forward to her tenure.

I believe Darla Hoover took a "buyout" and signed an NDA which is why no one knows why she is leaving. The treatment of Suzy Pilarre was horrifying. Anyone else think Stafford is a meglomaniac?