This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

I logged into my account tonight and realized that my subscription renewal info was already loaded into my account for next season. 

The ballets I saw listed in my series included Jewels, Liebeslieder, Ballo della Regina, Barber Violin Concerto, Stars & Stripes, In the Night, Tsai pas.   

Glad to see Ballo della Regina, Jewels, and of course Liebeslieder. On my account, I also see Symphony in 3, Unanswered Question, Four Seasons, Symphony in C, Opus 19 the Dreamer, Tarantella, new Ratmansky, and Midsummer Nights Dream. 

Logged back in to see more info.  There will be a program in the  winter of Polyphonia, Barber Violin  and Times are Racing.

Also Martin's Hallelujah Junction is returning.

Another winter program is Rotunda, odesssa  and new Tiler Peck.  Fancy Free is returning.   Robbins'  The Concert.    "In a Landscape'.  (Never heard of that one.)  added- According to the website, it was choreographed by Albert Evans.   The music is John Cage.

Slaughter, Agon, Bouree Fantastique.  Western Symphony

I'm a bit surprised they are letting Tiler Peck choreograph.   I guess they have decided to thaw relations with Martins.  They are using two of his ballets.  Eat your heart out Gia.

Edited by abatt

Happy to see Odessa returning. I guess enough time has passed since the New York Times accused it of showing "gang rape." (A stretch, for sure.) 

I saw some of Peck's choreography during a stream of a recent Vail festival and thought she showed promise. Her recent show at London, which had some of her own work, seems to have been well received. Nice to see City Ballet giving her an opportunity. 

Edited by matilda

Thanks so much for sharing these details @abatt!! A lot of stuff I'm excited to see, including the Tiler Peck commission. Some of her choreography was featured in her "tiler peck and friends" evening at City Center last year, and I enjoyed it. Also very intrigued by the Albert Evans piece, I didn't know he choreographed. I like that Wendy and Jonathan seem to be committed to resurrecting a real rarity or two from the archives every year, like with Rondo and Haieff Divertimento this year. 

Looks like there are 5 All Balanchine programs, and one includes Errante, which I am not familiar with.  I do not see a full Jewels, but I have a Rubies on my sub. There is also  a Tribute to Robbins program (Fancy Free, In the Night, 4 Seasons). Other ballets I see listed are T&V,  4Ts, Orpheus, Steadfast Tin Soldier, Le Tombea de Couperin,  This Bitter Earth, Herman Sherman PDD,  Pictures at an Exhibition, Red Angels, Glass  Pieces, Copeland Dance Episopes, and a new Garner

Edited by nysusan
spelling
17 minutes ago, nysusan said:

. . . one includes Errante, which I am not familiar with.  

Errante was formerly called Tzigane, a ballet Balanchine made for Farrell when she returned to NYCB. She will return next year to stage it after a 30-year absence. 

https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/errante-formerly-titled-tzigane/

Thanks for all these lists, everybody. Time for NYCB to post the entire schedule for all of us to see! Why the wait?

Edited by California

Wow.  Thanks for all this additional info folks!  By the way, I'm seeing the full Jewels for what I anticpate is the first week of shows in the Fall Season.

I've always wanted to see Tzigane.  It was never possible before because  Farrell and Martins were like oil and water, and she owned the rights.  Can't wait to see this, even if it is second tier Mr. B.  Please cast Mearns in this!

Edited by abatt
3 hours ago, mille-feuille said:

Exciting!! Lots of great ballets. I'm relieved because I found the past few seasons varying levels of odd in terms of rep choices.

I've felt the same way. A season with Jewels, Symphony in C, Ballo, and T&V -- how bad can that be? I really hope it's the complete Jewels. They've done enough of Rubies on its own recently.

Really glad to hear that Farrell is returning to NYCB. I agree that Tzigane/Errante would be a great vehicle for Mearns. 

Thank you to the subscribers who've brought us this early good news about next season!

Errante was the name of a ballet Balanchine created for Tilly Losch when he directed Les Ballets 1933 —the company that introduced Kirstein to Balanchine—so when I saw the name I wondered if someone was trying to reconstruct it.  But such a project did seem very unlikely. A renamed Tzigane makes more sense and I understand the reasoning behind the name change. (The ballet is still what it is, but if the name change keeps it in the repertory, then ...). I hope Farrell will also be working with dancers on Diamonds and some of her other roles.

Edited by Drew
typo
2 hours ago, abatt said:

Well it seems someone in charge at NYCB reads this forum, because I looged back into my account and all of the renewal info for next year is missing.  LOL

Ha! Well, we know they have a schedule. They just need to post it - so we can all see. In the meantime, thanks to all of you who gave us some info on what to expect!

10 hours ago, abatt said:

I've always wanted to see Tzigane.  It was never possible before because  Farrell and Martins were like oil and water, and she owned the rights.

Any particular reason for Farrell and Martins being "like oil and water"? I'm not much very knowledgeable about that. I recall having seen them dance together in the well known video of Chaconne.

Edited by eduardo
typo.
1 hour ago, eduardo said:

Any particular reason for Farrell and Martins being "like oil and water"? I'm not much very knowledgeable about that. I recall having seen them dance together in the well known video of Chaconne.

Farrell and Martins were a great dance partnership. However, when Martins became director of the company, he did not keep many of Balanchine's past ballerinas/muses around to coach and lead rehearsals. Farrell was working with the company in a very limited capacity but shortly after an interview she gave the New Yorker indicating some of her frustrations with the situation, he fired her and she did not work again with the company until after his departure as Director. Since Martins appears to have not wanted other leading Balanchine dancers to work with  NYCB or, at least, not often, I doubt the interview was the only issue.

I have heard and read people defend Martins' reluctance to involve Balanchine's former leading dancers to continue working with the company (Not just Farrell but, say, Patricia McBride)  on the grounds that different dancers remember different versions of the ballets; plus other issues arise with having former dancers around to coach -- everyone's Balanchine is different, personality issues; Martins' need to establish himself as the company's leader etc. etc. But I fear a lot of knowledge was lost to the company's traditions when dancers who had worked closely with Balanchine for years were not regularly working with the new generation of dancers after his death.  When, after Martins' departure, McBride returned to coach the role she created in Rubies, dancers talked about how differently she 'counted' the music and how difficult it was to adapt...that's not trivial.  Those of us who saw Farrell's now-defunct pick up company at Kennedy Center know what remarkable things she could do when staging ballets--even with dancers not always at the level of NYCB.

Here is a link to a NYTImes article published at the time of Farrell's firing:

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/04/arts/city-ballet-breaks-off-its-long-relationship-with-suzanne-farrell.html

Edited by Drew

All those All Balanchine programs look great!! I plan to be there every night during the fall... just a slight exaggeration. 

Only complaint, since I never understand why my favorites aren't everyone's favorites, is they couldn't find room for Divertimento No. 15 or Ballet Imperial someplace during the year. But, there will be lots else to keep me busy.