This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

6 hours ago, matilda said:

I think Huxley and Fairchild will most likely be paired together in Rubies. Mejia will probably be paired with either Peck or Pereira, depending on who management wants to put in the role. (Neither ballerina is ideally suited for it IMO... I would prefer Alexa Maxwell, who appears to be at least learning the part if not officially understudying!). And we know from rehearsal footage that Von Enck and Furlan will likely be performing. 

Emeralds seems like the biggest tossup at this point... Peck must be a shoe-in for the Verdy role, and Instagram has hinted at McKinnon and Nadon debuts. It would be ridiculous to not cast Woodward in my view. Laracey, LeCrone, Phelan, and Gerrity have all danced the Paul role. As for the men, Stanley will most likely be cast again opposite the Verdy part. The only other man in the company who has done that role is, I think, Applebaum, but he hasn't appeared on stage much in recent years--maybe only in Justin Peck ballets. Aaron Sanz or Davide Riccardo could be good fits. 

Indiana Woodward posted on her Instagram stories “a dream role in Emeralds.”

3 minutes ago, Fernie M said:

Love to see Jewels cast of three, instead of two. It would be great to get an alternate cast on the seventh performance. I’ve seen some snippets on IG from Jackie Bologna (Emeralds) among others… she looked absolutely stunning.

As well as Nadon in Diamonds, and Maxwell in Rubies.

The final performance of Jewels is Janzen's farewell.  I think he would partner Mearns in Diamonds for his farewell.  It seems likely that barring injury, Mearns would get opening night and the Janzen farewell. We shall see.

Edited by abatt
5 hours ago, Fernie M said:

Love to see Jewels cast of three, instead of two.

I think three casts is actually pretty likely. Mearns and Phelan are for sure getting Diamonds. We've seen LaFreniere and Nadon rehearsing Diamonds too (Nadon saying that she's understudying it). So my prediction is that Diamonds will go to Mearns/Janzen, Phelan/Gordon, and LaFreniere/Chan. 

For Rubies, it might be Peck/Mejia, Fairchild/Huxley, and Von Enck/Furlan with Kikta, LaFreniere, and Nadon as Tall Girl. 

23 hours ago, pirouette said:

I think three casts is actually pretty likely. Mearns and Phelan are for sure getting Diamonds. We've seen LaFreniere and Nadon rehearsing Diamonds too (Nadon saying that she's understudying it). So my prediction is that Diamonds will go to Mearns/Janzen, Phelan/Gordon, and LaFreniere/Chan. 

For Rubies, it might be Peck/Mejia, Fairchild/Huxley, and Von Enck/Furlan with Kikta, LaFreniere, and Nadon as Tall Girl. 

I must correct myself, I meant to say cast of four instead of three. With the fourth being an alternate/odd performance. Apologies everyone.

I've always thought that Joe Gordon would be a fascinating Apollo, but I have no problem with Chen getting a chance.  I hope Adrian returns to the role.  Overall I prefer tall dancers in Apollo.   I miss the days of a Maria K. as Terpsichore, and I think Tiler Peck is badly miscast in that role. 

Edited by abatt

They're only performing Apollo four times this season, so I'm assuming there will be 2 casts. If Chan is debuting, either Stanley or Adrian won't be reprising their role as Apollo. I wish we could also get a Terpsichore debut.. maybe LaFreniere, Von Enck, or Laracey. 

I would love to see Chun Wai Chan as Apollo. I looked at his bio on the website, and it doesn't say specifically what his Balanchine roles were at Houston Ballet. Does anyone know if he did Apollo there? I would love to see a Terpsichore debut as well. I was trying to recall if Ashley Laracey has done Terpsichore before. Looking at her bio on the website, I see that while they list the ballets one has danced in, they don't give the specific role(s). Annoying. Wait. Looking more closely, they do give the specific roles for some ballets ("Midsummer NIght's Dream, Hermia," for example) but not for others. Still annoying. 

On 8/27/2023 at 3:57 PM, matilda said:

Laracey has danced Polyhymnia. I think she debuted it only last year. Totally agree that LaFreniere could make a great Terpischore--Nadon and Miller too. Phelan debuted it last fall, I believe, and is likely to dance it again this year. 

Did Unity dance Apollo with Adrian? I know she’s done the ppd at Vail with Calvin Royal.

I’m also wondering who LaFreniere’s Apollo would be. Any clues, ideas or premonitions out there?

The Apollo program also has Tscha Piano Concerto 2.  This role was previously done by Bouder and Reichlin, so we will be getting two female lead debuts.  I'm guessing that LaFreniere will get the lead.  Not sure who else.  Maybe Phelan, just because she's in everything everywhere all at once.

Don't Peck and Mearns also dance TPC2? If Mearns is dancing it this fall, I have no idea who her partner would be (hopefully not Angle). Overall I'm a little worried about her lack of size/height-suitable partners moving forward. I always want to see her but I don't want to see Angle in classical ballets. 

Gordon will probably dance the role again and he could be matched with a variety of partners--Peck included. 

On 8/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, matilda said:

Overall I'm a little worried about her [Mearns] lack of size/height-suitable partners moving forward.

IMO the dancer whose sheer physical scale matches Mearns' the best is Gilbert Bolden III. He partnered her in Peck's 2020 ballet Rotunda, and I thought they looked terrific together. Based on what I saw Bolden do as one of the leads in the Sanguinic section of Four Temperaments, he just might be up to the challenge of TPC2.

1 hour ago, pirouette said:

I'm not so good with the names of the corps men... who else in the corps are taller male dancers?

Among the senior corps, Alec Knight, Christopher Grant, Samuel Melnikov (very tall) come to mind. Davide Riccardo, IMHO, is the most beautiful among the corps men and should be promoted already, and I'm not totally sure but think of him as medium-to-tall. For the newer corps guys I don't know them well since annoyingly they are no longer putting pictures on the website, but I think new corps members Charlie Klesa and Owen Flacke are on the taller side. 

23 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Among the senior corps, Alec Knight, Christopher Grant, Samuel Melnikov (very tall) come to mind. Davide Riccardo, IMHO, is the most beautiful among the corps men and should be promoted already, and I'm not totally sure but think of him as medium-to-tall. For the newer corps guys I don't know them well since annoyingly they are no longer putting pictures on the website, but I think new corps members Charlie Klesa and Owen Flacke are on the taller side. 

Thanks! I recall seeing Alec Knight in Haieff Divertimento and Chris Grant in Afternoon of a Faun recently. I don't remember too much about Samuel Melnikov, and I'll have to keep an eye out for Riccardo this coming season!