This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

NYCB's current Instagram Stories show two pairs of dancers being coached in the Diamonds pas de deux at the same time: Mira Nadon and Peter Walker, and Isabelle LaFreniere and Chun Wai Chan. There's also footage of Emma Von Enck and Jovani Furlan learning Rubies (with Alexa Maxwell marking the ballerina role in the background). I realize this doesn't guarantee casting, but I'm very excited by these possibilities! 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Plus, Joseph Gordon posted a pic with Unity Phelan saying "my diamond." I think we can assume Janzen will be doing his Diamonds farewell performance opposite Mearns. 

The NYCB account also posted a video of Nadon and Olivia McKinnon learning what I think is Emeralds. (I assumed Woodward would be getting this role after her success in the Verdy lead in "La Source" but maybe she has other big things in store.)

So bummed to be missing the Jewels week this fall, but very excited for the rest of the all-Balanchine season!

1 hour ago, abatt said:

Wondering where Miriam Miller fits into the Jewels casting.  I think she could be great in Diamonds, but I'm sure she would also be lovely in Emeralds.

Just want to say the Miriam Miller was wonderful at Vail, particularly in Nutcracker pas. I agree she would be great in Diamonds or Emeralds, but I see her more in Diamonds. Interesting Mira Nadon seems to be learning Diamonds, she seemed such a good fit for tall girl Rubies.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

Wondering where Miriam Miller fits into the Jewels casting.  I think she could be great in Diamonds, but I'm sure she would also be lovely in Emeralds.

Didn't Miller do Diamonds, or at least the pas, at Saratoga a few years back? I wasn't there, but IIRC, reports were that she was lovely. 

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I think that since they are doing Jewels for an entire week, some people will perform more than one role.  For example, Nadon could do the Tall Girl and also take on a different role on another night.

Also on her insta stories, Mira said she was understudying diamonds — so I would guess the diamonds leads would be (barring injury) Mearns, phelan, and LaFreniere. I would guess Mira is dancing Emeralds and rubies tall girl. 

i was really excited to see Emma von Enck dancing Rubies w/Jovani. Seeing Jewels twice so maybe I will get a chance to see her! 

They are doing 7 performances of Jewels and with Nadon, LaFreniere and Kitka I think they have enough Rubies tall girls (and all 3 are VERY good).

Sounds like Mearns and Phelan are set for Diamonds, maybe LaFreniere is also understudying as well as Nadon. I saw Miller in the Diamonds pas in Saratoga last year and she was great, I hope she gets it at Lincoln Center this season!

4 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Does Megan Fairchild still dance Rubies? I can't recall if she was cast in the post-pandemic runs of the ballet.

Yes, she danced it with Gonzalo Garcia in his farewell season. I would much rather see Megan than Erica Pereira in Rubies. 

I agree that Miller would be interesting in Diamonds. I would also personally love to see Ashley Laracey dance that role, but I know it will probably never happen. 

4 minutes ago, pirouette said:

I would much rather see Megan than Erica Pereira in Rubies. 

II would also personally love to see Ashley Laracey dance that role, but I know it will probably never happen. 

Amen to both of these. There was an instagram pic years ago of Laracey rehearsing Diamonds with Russell Janzen, and I got very hopeful, but it never happened. 

11 hours ago, abatt said:

I think that since they are doing Jewels for an entire week, some people will perform more than one role.  For example, Nadon could do the Tall Girl and also take on a different role on another night.

Nadon posted in instagram a bit of her rehearsal for Emeralds! That means she's a possible cast in any of the movements.

I think Huxley and Fairchild will most likely be paired together in Rubies. Mejia will probably be paired with either Peck or Pereira, depending on who management wants to put in the role. (Neither ballerina is ideally suited for it IMO... I would prefer Alexa Maxwell, who appears to be at least learning the part if not officially understudying!). And we know from rehearsal footage that Von Enck and Furlan will likely be performing. 

Emeralds seems like the biggest tossup at this point... Peck must be a shoe-in for the Verdy role, and Instagram has hinted at McKinnon and Nadon debuts. It would be ridiculous to not cast Woodward in my view. Laracey, LeCrone, Phelan, and Gerrity have all danced the Paul role. As for the men, Stanley will most likely be cast again opposite the Verdy part. The only other man in the company who has done that role is, I think, Applebaum, but he hasn't appeared on stage much in recent years--maybe only in Justin Peck ballets. Aaron Sanz or Davide Riccardo could be good fits. 

Edited by matilda

For those of you lucky enough to be in NYC September 30, NYCB just announced what promises to be a very exciting day, with several free events, to kick off the 75th anniversary season:

fy24-4-liner-75th-lockup-blk.png

socialmediaicons-ig-blk-website-final.png  socialmediaicons-fb-blk-website-final.png  socialmediaicons-youtube-blk-website-final.png  tik-tok-icon-blk-final.png  podcast-icon-circle-blk-website-final.png

23-24  DISCOVER NYCB AT 75

In honor of New York City Ballet's 75th Anniversary, we're opening our house on September 30 with a range of activities for all ages from morning through evening. Don't miss this special day showcasing NYCB's extraordinary heritage and continuing contributions to the world of dance.

Ballet Essentials Workshop

BALLET ESSENTIALS WORKSHOP

10:30-11:45 AM

Led by current NYCB dancers, this workshop for teens and adults of all levels includes a ballet warm-up, choreography, and a brief Q&A session with the artists.

Children's Access Workshop

CHILDREN'S ACCESS WORKSHOP

11 AM - 12 PM

This workshop designed for children ages 4-12 with physical disabilities and movement disorders includes a warm-up and choreography inspired by ballets performed this season.

Onstage Company Class

ONSTAGE COMPANY CLASS

12-1 PM

This special look behind the curtain presents NYCB dancers in their daily class, including warm-up exercises at the barre and center combinations moving across the stage.

In-Motion Workshop

IN-MOTION WORKSHOP

12:30-1:15 PM

This workshop for children ages 8-12 includes a ballet warm-up, choreography inspired by a featured ballet, and a brief interview with NYCB dancers.

All Balanchine II Performance

ALL BALANCHINE II PERFORMANCE

2-4 PM

A revival of Balanchine’s Bourrée Fantasque opens this program featuring the apex of his collaborations with composer Igor Stravinsky, Agon, and the glitzy showbiz favorite Slaughter on Tenth Avenue.

Onstage Presentation

ONSTAGE PRESENTATION

5-6 PM

This event highlights the breadth of the Balanchine repertory with dancer-selected performance excerpts accompanied by personal anecdotes from Company members across NYCB's ranks for the ballets on display.

Campaign photo by Luis Alberto Rodriguez © 2023. Ballet Essentials Workshop, Children's Access Workshop, In-Motion Workshop, and Onstage Presentation photos © Rosalie O'Connor. Onstage Company Class and All Balanchine II Performance photos © Erin Baiano.

75TH SPONSORS

fy23-sponsor-logos-580px-updated-copy.png
19 minutes ago, pirouette said:

Alexa Maxwell posted on her Instagram stories that she's working on the Emeralds Pas de Trois with Baily Jones and KJ Takahashi, coached by Rosemary Dunleavy. 

This sounds like a charming trio. I'm not on instagram, so thanks to all for posting these casting hints.