This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

13 minutes ago, pirouette said:

Maybe they're giving the new Principals their moment right now, and waiting until just before or during the spring season for the new soloist promotions. It will surely happen sooner rather than later, only a matter of when they decide to announce them! 

I agree regarding giving “new Principals their moment.” I’m sure new soloist promotions will happen just before spring season. I too am disappointed Kikta was not promoted this round. Hopefully happen soon. 

New Soloists could be Maxwell, McKinnon, Bolden, Riccardo and possibly Bradley. Sure Takahashi is on the list as well. 

13 hours ago, pirouette said:

Now that space in the soloist roster has opened up, they definitely need to promote Alexa Maxwell to soloist. It would be egregious and an insult to her not to.

I was shocked and disappointed that Maxwell was not promoted yesterday, but also really happy for the dancers that became principal. 

Edited by BalanchineFan

I agree that Kikta is more than deserving of principal status based on her exceptional talents and striking stage presence. I'm ALWAYS excited to see her name on casting lists. However, I think height is a problem for her. She's an Amazon Queen. As Lilac, she was noticeably taller when on pointe than the very tall cavalier (Samuel Melnikov?) partnering her in the prologue scene. Management is likely assessing promotions in terms of practicality as much as talent. That is, they want their principals to dance the ballerina/danseur partnering roles. Kikta seems a little pigeon-holed in the rep that Savannah Lowery used to do, although I think Kikta is a better talent. And yes, Miriam Miller is also tall but she appears more dainty and modelesque than Amazonian (I don't think she's in the principal running anyway). 

I hope to be proven wrong and see Kikta promoted soon! For awhile I've thought it's a bit unfair that her husband, Peter Walker, rose the ranks before her. I think she's the more talented one, but of course there's less competition among the men. 

I just found this article from 2017 in which she's quoted about the pros and cons of being a tall ballerina: https://dancespirit.com/too-tall-to-dance/

Emma Von Enck should be getting more principal roles before they make her a principal. They should really use the opportunity of Ashely Bouder being out of commission, and Sterling Hyltin having retired, to throw her into some of those allegro roles or the parts opposite short guys. 

8 minutes ago, matilda said:

Emma Von Enck should be getting more principal roles before they make her a principal. They should really use the opportunity of Ashely Bouder being out of commission, and Sterling Hyltin having retired, to throw her into some of those allegro roles or the parts opposite short guys. 

I’m hoping to see her in Square Dance in the spring. With Roman Mejia?

1 hour ago, matilda said:

I agree that Kikta is more than deserving of principal status based on her exceptional talents and striking stage presence. I'm ALWAYS excited to see her name on casting lists. However, I think height is a problem for her. She's an Amazon Queen.

I don't think it's height that is holding her back, at least not in terms of partnering. All the women who were promoted this go-around had had debuts in Balanchine rep. I haven't seen them throwing leading Balanchine parts at Kikta. I also don't think she's done the Reichlen role in Everywhere We Go, which doesn't have a lot of partnering. I saw Kikta as Hippolyta awhile back (was it last spring?) and she seemed unfocused physically. If it wasn't just a one time issue, maybe she hasn't yet developed the strength and speed for those kinds of roles. A lot of taller dancers need more strength to move their limbs quickly. Hippolyta must be a bear to perform, all those turns with the smoke, the cape, the headdress, the  bow and arrow.

Edited by BalanchineFan

Most of the Kikta roles I've seen in the past few years, or at least seen her casted for, have had either no or very little partnering:

• Lilac Fairy and Diamond in SB
  • Dewdrop
  • Everywhere We Go (Reichlen role)
  • Brahms-Shoenberg first movement soloist
  • Rubies tall girl
  • Four T's Choleric
  • Soloists in Raymonda and Divertimento no. 15
  • Hippolyta
  • The Cage

She did the "creepy" pas de deux in Episodes but that's a different kind of piece. Also Love Letter on Shuffle, which was really not classical. 

Two exceptions were Nutcracker Sugar Plum Fairy and Symphony in C 4th movement. Gia Kourlas commented on the height issue with the Sugar Plum pas de deux: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/arts/dance/george-balanchines-nutcracker-city-ballet.html

She was well matched with Aaron Sanz in Symphony in C, but he's frequently out with injury and doesn't seem to be on the principal track. 

Edited by matilda
1 hour ago, matilda said:

Most of the Kikta roles I've seen in the past few years, or at least seen her casted for, have had either no or very little partnering:

• Lilac Fairy and Diamond in SB
  • Dewdrop
  • Everywhere We Go (Reichlen role)
  • Brahms-Shoenberg first movement soloist
  • Rubies tall girl
  • Four T's Choleric
  • Soloists in Raymonda and Divertimento no. 15
  • Hippolyta
  • The Cage

She did the "creepy" pas de deux in Episodes but that's a different kind of piece. Also Love Letter on Shuffle, which was really not classical. 

Two exceptions were Nutcracker Sugar Plum Fairy and Symphony in C 4th movement. Gia Kourlas commented on the height issue with the Sugar Plum pas de deux: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/arts/dance/george-balanchines-nutcracker-city-ballet.html

She was well matched with Aaron Sanz in Symphony in C, but he's frequently out with injury and doesn't seem to be on the principal track. 

She’s great in that B-S first movement solo role. 

Is she taller than Tess? Couldn’t Russell (or her own husband) partner her?

16 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Is she taller than Tess? Couldn’t Russell (or her own husband) partner her?

Tess is 5'9, Kikta (based on that Dance Spirit article linked above) is 5'10. So not that much of a difference, and Walker partnered Christina Clark in Haieff Divertimento this past season. I believe Clark is taller than Kikta, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

14 hours ago, canbelto said:

Suzanne Farrell was 20 when she was promoted to principal, so was Gelsey Kirkland. Patricia McBride was only 19.

Of the current crop, Megan was 21 when she was promoted, Tiler was 20, Sterling Hyltin (now retired) was only 22.

To add if it hasn't been mentioned, Ashley Bouder was either 21 or 22 when she became a principal (I don't know what month she was promoted). She was born Dec. 1983. She joined NYCB as an apprentice in 2000 and became a principal in 2005. Another dancer who rose quickly.

47 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Couldn’t Russell (or her own husband) partner her?

I've seen Kitka partnered with Walker (her husband) and IMO, it didn't quite work. He's tall enough, but his slender rangy-ness isn't an ideal match for her Amazonian splendor. Bolden might be a better match in terms of physical scale if he's tall enough. He's a fabulous backstop for Mearns for just that reason.

Perhaps NYCB needs a "Principal Tall Girl" tier much as some companies have a "Principal Character Dancer" tier. 

30 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Bolden might be a better match in terms of physical scale if he's tall enough. He's a fabulous backstop for Mearns for just that reason.

Yes, I think this is his niche (he's also quite a wonderful dancer) -- in the spirit of Jared Angle and James Fayette (and I'm sure others) before him. 

On 2/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, pirouette said:

Ashley Hod just posted on her Instagram story that Mira Nadon, Emilie Gerrity, Isabella LaFreniere, and Roman Mejia have been promoted to principal dancers!

All very well deserved — I’m especially relieved that Gerrity is finally getting her due.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:12 PM, pirouette said:

Now that space in the soloist roster has opened up, they definitely need to promote Alexa Maxwell to soloist. 

Agreed!  Believe she may have had a long-term injury (and that that may have been the reason for her delayed ascent) but Maxwell is ready.

Program change for the Spring Season

George Balanchine's Raymonda Variations will be performed in place of Jerome Robbins' Brandenburg on the spring's formerly named Masters at Work: Balanchine & Robbins I program, which is now titled All Balanchine.

This update applies to the following performances:

• Tue, April 18 at 7:30 PM
  • Wed, April 19 at 7:30 PM
  • Thu, April 20 at 7:30 PM
  • Sat, April 22 at 2 PM
  • Sat, April 22 at 8 PM
  • Wed, April 26 at 7:30 PM
  • Fri, May 5 at 8 PM

Jerome Robbins' Brandenburg will now be performed on the spring's Masters at Work: Balanchine & Robbins III program on the following dates:

• Wed, May 10 at 7:30 PM
  • Tue, May 23 at 7:30 PM
  • Sat, May 27 at 2 PM
  • Sat, May 27 at 8 PM

Jerome Robbins' Brandenburg will now be performed on the spring's Masters at Work: Balanchine & Robbins III program on the following dates:

• Sat, May 27 at 2 PM
  • Sat, May 27 at 8 PM    

Argh. Don't hate me for saying it .  I think Brandenburg is a masterpiece, but I don't want to see it that night!  

Got an email from NYCB re company updates.  In addition to Fahoury and Anderson, corps member Clara Miller has left the company.

I didn't realize the company is touring to Madrid this month, doing Serenade, Square Dance and the Times Are Racing.

36 minutes ago, abatt said:

Got an email from NYCB re company updates.  In addition to Fahoury and Anderson, corps member Clara Miller has left the company.

I didn't realize the company is touring to Madrid this month, doing Serenade, Square Dance and the Times Are Racing.

Yes, Clara Miller has a lovely post on her Instagram about leaving -- injuries were just too much. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cocz4YkuHJQ/

Olivia MacKinnon did a q&a on her Insta stories and said that she will be dancing "as one of the Russian Girls" in Serenade--

On 3/6/2023 at 1:03 PM, abatt said:

Marika Anderson said on IG that her last NYCB performance would be Serenade in Madrid.

Sorry to hear about Clara Miller.