This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

Terrific.  They needed a new Waltz Girl after Sterling retired.  Can't wait to see Nadon in the role.  Hopefully Serenade will be revived next season in celebration of  NYCB's 75th   anniversary. 

Edited by abatt
17 minutes ago, abatt said:

Terrific.  They needed a new Waltz Girl after Sterling retired.  Can't wait to see Nadon in the role.  Hopefully Serenade will be revived next season in celebration of  NYCB's 75th   anniversary. 

Lauren Lovett also danced Waltz “Girl” beautifully at her final NYCB performance.  
Thanks @Helene and @bellawood obviously I’m not up on how the roles track. 

22 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Lauren Lovett also danced Waltz “Girl” beautifully at her final NYCB performance.  
Thanks @Helene and @bellawood obviously I’m not up on how the roles track. 

My pleasure to be of help! The three principals are colloquially known as the Waltz Girl; the Russian Girl, who does the famous 5-woman slide into splits (danced frequently right now by Tiler, Erica Pereira and Ashley Bouder) and the Dark Angel, whom you know as the dancer who leads the second principal man across the floor with his eyes covered (right now often Emilie Gerrity or Megan LeCrone).  Also, fun fact, the boys who lift Waltz Girl up at the end are called "the blueberries" and aren't listed in the casting.

46 minutes ago, bellawood said:

My pleasure to be of help! The three principals are colloquially known as the Waltz Girl; the Russian Girl, who does the famous 5-woman slide into splits (danced frequently right now by Tiler, Erica Pereira and Ashley Bouder) and the Dark Angel, whom you know as the dancer who leads the second principal man across the floor with his eyes covered (right now often Emilie Gerrity or Megan LeCrone).  Also, fun fact, the boys who lift Waltz Girl up at the end are called "the blueberries" and aren't listed in the casting.

Why is she known as Russian Girl? Just curious. Thanks 

On 3/21/2023 at 12:34 PM, bellawood said:

Thanks! Is the Waltz Girl the one who comes in to the recap of the opening sequence late?

On 3/23/2023 at 9:14 AM, carllovesballet said:

City Ballet's podcast has a really great episode about their recent development of hiring an intimacy director: Episode 81 - The Rosin Box: Intimacy Director

Here's a link:

What a fascinating podcast, @carllovesballet. Thank you! I've been wondering what intimacy coordinators and intimacy directors do, and how it worked in rehearsal and on set for film and tv. The ideas in FRIES (Freelygiven-Revocable-Informed-Enthusiastic-Specific) Consent are a game changer for me. I wish I'd had that language years ago for a couple of dates I went on. LOL!

The example of 20 year veterans working with newcomers also rang a few bells. I was recently in a dance company situation rehearsing and performing with people 20-30 years younger, and I could tell my comfort level with certain material and situations was totally different. Veterans don't have power 'over' younger cast members, but we may experience the power dynamics differently. As a veteran, I know what it's like to walk away. I've done it. I survived. I can easily say no, or I'm not doing that, not comfortable with it, etc. It's easy to forget how hard that can be for newcomers.

With the spring season coming up, I'm wondering if we are going to see the return of Sara Mearns and/or Ashley Bouder. For those of you who follow their public-facing instagrams, or have other official info, any indications from them whether they will be returning? 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

With the spring season coming up, I'm wondering if we are going to see the return of Sara Mearns and/or Ashley Bouder. For those of you who follow their public-facing instagrams, or have other official info, any indications from them whether they will be returning? 

I don't follow Bouder but I follow Sara Mearns on IG. Over the past few weeks she's posted a couple of items showing that she's doing pointe work, and reposted the NYCB clip of her in Namouna. Nothing definite about her return to the stage.  I really wish her well and hope to see her dance soon.

Sara has expressed on her Instagram that she plans to come back for the spring season, so hopefully everything goes well for her! 

Congratulations to Alexa Maxwell, Olivia MacKinnon and KJ Takahashi!! Maxwell’s promotion is long overdue. I have to see MacKinnon and Takahashi in more soloist and principal roles to form an opinion on them. I last saw Takahashi in the Bluebird Pas this past winter and unfortunately thought his partnering could use some work.. I hope the promotion means more opportunities to improve! 

This is great news for all of us Alexa Maxwell fans. I look forward to seeing what new roles come her way. But despite the many opportunities given to Olivia MacKinnon I have not found her particularly special. And while KJ Takahashi obviously has tremendous promise this seems premature to me. Most of all, I’m wondering where is that obvious future principal, Davide Riccardo?? Surely he is far more versatile and valuable to the company than Takahashi. This decision really baffles me. 

12 minutes ago, cobweb said:

This is great news for all of us Alexa Maxwell fans. I look forward to seeing what new roles come her way. But despite the many opportunities given to Olivia MacKinnon I have not found her particularly special. And while KJ Takahashi obviously has tremendous promise this seems premature to me. Most of all, I’m wondering where is that obvious future principal, Davide Riccardo?? Surely he is far more versatile and valuable to the company than Takahashi. This decision really baffles me. 

Can't wait to see Alexa Maxwell in more roles. She's been outstanding in everything for a few seasons. Afraid I agree about Olivia MacKinnon. I've seen her in several soloist roles, but she hasn't risen to the occasion, at least in the shows I've seen. Takahashi wasn't a surprise to me, hopefully his partnering will improve. Now I'm curious if we will hear about any retirements or departures.

All deserved promotions although I think Riccardo and Bolden are ready to be soloists too at this point. Bolden has danced some significant lead roles including Nutcracker Cavalier and 4 Temperaments Sanguinic, and his height and partnering skills are huge assets to the company right now. I see no reason to keep him in the corps long. Riccardo just radiates danseur noble quality. I'm surprised they didn't promote Baily Jones given all of her soloist work. 

As for other soloists, I can't imagine Applebaum or Schumacher staying in the company much longer (both barely dance). LeCrone's and Pazcoguin's castings are becoming more and more infrequent too. Chamblee hasn't been on stage much lately although he's a long way from retirement age--I wonder what's going on with him. 

I think Bouder intends to stay as looong as possible.  

I hope Mearns comes back.

Great news about the promotions.  A little surprised by KJ T.  I like him but it seems a bit too soon.   They need more tall male danseurs.

47 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think Bouder intends to stay as looong as possible.  

I hope Mearns comes back.

Great news about the promotions.  A little surprised by KJ T.  I like him but it seems a bit too soon.   They need more tall male danseurs.

First, congrats to all newly promoted soloists. Very exciting!

I was also a little surprised by KJ’s promotion over others. I feel he could use a little more experience, specially with partnering. I agree Bolden and Riccardo are ready for promotion! Perhaps at the end of the season?

I think Sara Mearns plans to come back soon. Her IG story this morning commented on seeing National Ballet of Canada, their amazing performance invigorated her to return to stage as soon as possible. I’m not sure if story still up at this point.

I understand Bouder wants to stay as long as possible, but how is that possible? With her injuries, her time away from the stage, age, and obvious physical limitations… how much of her old rep could she really do? Would she be willing/satisfied to perform in other pieces?  BTW, not a negative comment, just a question? 🙂