This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

Facebook is serving me up an ad for Concerto Barocco, featuring what appears to be Miriam Miller. Presumably this means we will see her in the role next month. This might not be my first choice for new Barocco casting, but I look forward to it. How about Kikta? 

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Facebook is serving me up an ad for Concerto Barocco, featuring what appears to be Miriam Miller. Presumably this means we will see her in the role next month. This might not be my first choice for new Barocco casting, but I look forward to it. How about Kikta? 

Who has danced it in the company? Sara Mearns & Ashley Laracey? To me the obvious casting would be Unity/Sara and then Mira/Isabella -- 

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Yes to Kikta. Original thoughts - LaFreniere and Nadon as leads.

6 hours ago, Fernie M said:

Yes to Kikta. Original thoughts - LaFreniere and Nadon as leads.

I'd love to see Kikta in CB. Miller still seems kind of bland to me. I haven't seen enough of LaFreniere to make a judgement. Her first SB was lacking, but I understand she improved from there, and management made her a principal so there must be something there. Nadon in anything will get my attention. I'm very excited for the Spring season. Just to mention again. Maxwell should be promoted. It's ridiculous that she is not a soloist.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:27 AM, BalanchineFan said:

One the other hand, if you always play to your strongest audience (and only to them) what does an art institution do when that audience dies off? How do they get younger people or new people in the seats? I imagine an institution’s strongest audience is going to show up regardless of advertising. That’s how I am as a balletomane. I know what I want to see and adverts aren’t going to change my mind or exert much influence. The advertising is for the newbies. 

The Kennedy Center recently posted the content for 1 of the 2023 NYCB mixed bills, 3 shows. It was Ratmansky's Pictures at an Exhibition (35 min)plus Peck's Solo (7 minutes) and TBA for 1 year. Added were a new Pires and Abraham's Love Letter (on shuffle} (38 minutes).  That work by Pires premiers in NYC this spring.  Complete unknown ...

No Reisen-Knowles Playtime -16 minutes and a proven winner for the audience and the box office.  

Edited by maps
On 3/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, cobweb said:

Phelan and Gerrity

Phelan and Woodward 

Nadon and .. anyone, sure LaFreniere

Woodward and Maxell

LaFreniere and Kikta (flip a coin for who dances the ppd)

Laracey and ... again, anyone ( I saw her debut with Silas Farley, lovely, but maybe this time a man who isn't a foot taller)

I'm not sure they could come up with casting that I WOULDN'T like.

2 hours ago, maps said:

The Kennedy Center recently posted the content for 1 of the 2023 NYCB mixed bills, 3 shows. It was Ratmansky's Pictures at an Exhibition (35 min)plus Peck's Solo (7 minutes) and TBA for 1 year. Added were a new Pires and Abraham's Love Letter (on shuffle} (38 minutes).  That work by Pires premiers in NYC this spring.  Complete unknown ...

No Reisen-Knowles Playtime -16 minutes and a proven winner for the audience and the box office.  

Maybe it's an orchestra issue. I'm totally guessing. Do they bring the full orchestra to DC? It says Pictures at an Exhibition has a piano score, Solo has a string quartet playing the Barber and IIRC, Love Letter (on shuffle) has recorded music. 

The other program should have an orchestra with Square Dance, Donizetti, Afternoon of a Faun and Concerto Barocco.

My mother once choreographed the Barber and she found three recordings, one at 6 minutes, one at 8:50 and one that was 11:20 minutes long!

Edited by BalanchineFan
Just now, Fernie M said:

Does anyone know where to find casting for upcoming Madrid gig? Of course I’ve looked on NYCB site and a search, but casting is nowhere to be found. Appreciate any insights and thank you.

The other day Jovani showed rehearsal footage of square dance, which would be a debut for him at nycb (not sure if he danced it in Miami). 

2 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Maybe it's an orchestra issue. I'm totally guessing. Do they bring the full orchestra to DC? It says Pictures at an Exhibition has a piano score, Solo has a string quartet playing the Barber and IIRC, Love Letter (on shuffle) has recorded music. 

The other program should have an orchestra with Square Dance, Donizetti, Afternoon of a Faun and Concerto Barocco.

My mother once choreographed the Barber and she found three recordings, one at 6 minutes, one at 8:50 and one that was 11:20 minutes long!

Normally, all companies use a pick-up/local orchestra at Kennedy with the home company's own conductor(s).  When Bolshoi played Lincoln Center several years ago at the State Theater, they insisted on bringing all their own Bolshoi musicians. I don't know if they had to pay the local musicians or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Musicians' Union has historically been one of the strongest of the performing arts unions.

EDITED TO CORRECT: As @volcanohunter points out, their correct name is the Kennedy Center Opera House orchestra. They are not a pick-up orchestra and I apologize if I offended them.

I gloomed onto that jargon long ago when my late aunt, who played the viola in the (unionized) orchestra in a midwestern city, was hired for the orchestra used for the one-time visit of the Moody Blues. The local Musicians' union dictated who could play in what was truly a pick-up orchestra -- performances which she thoroughly enjoyed and loved to talk about until her death many years later. 

Edited by California

According to the Kennedy Center site, NYCB will be accompanied by the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra, presumably during the Balanchine/Robbins program. But doing a second program without a full orchestra saves money for everyone.

When the Bolshoi last visited the Kennedy Center in 2014, it also used the KC orchestra. 

I remember that in the past there were some sticky negotiations between NYCB and the Kennedy Center precisely on this point. Basically, the NYCB orchestra insists that it has to accompany NYCB performances, and the Kennedy Center insists that visiting companies have to use its orchestra.

6 hours ago, Fernie M said:

Does anyone know where to find casting for upcoming Madrid gig? Of course I’ve looked on NYCB site and a search, but casting is nowhere to be found. Appreciate any insights and thank you.

Mira Nadon has pictures of herself rehearsing Serenade on her IG stories. There's a clue. Not sure how long it will stay up. She's also doing something new, dancing with Emilie Gerrity.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/mira_nadon/3061552371167544425/

Megan Fairchild rehearsing Square Dance

https://www.instagram.com/stories/mfairchild17/3061431737649796140/

Edited by BalanchineFan

12 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Mira Nadon has pictures of herself rehearsing Serenade on her IG stories. There's a clue. Not sure how long it will stay up. She's also doing something new, dancing with Emilie Gerrity.

Thank you! 

8 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I remember that in the past there were some sticky negotiations between NYCB and the Kennedy Center precisely on this point. Basically, the NYCB orchestra insists that it has to accompany NYCB performances, and the Kennedy Center insists that visiting companies have to use its orchestra.

They had reached a compromise that the NYCB orchestra would come every other year.  Of course that was pre-pandemic and I don't know what agreement is currently in place.

2 hours ago, lmspear said:

They had reached a compromise that the NYCB orchestra would come every other year.  Of course that was pre-pandemic and I don't know what agreement is currently in place.

Thank you. I couldn’t remember the details. And that's interesting, because according to the KC website, next season's Jewels will also be accompanied by the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra. 

22 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Phelan and Gerrity

Phelan and Woodward 

Nadon and .. anyone, sure LaFreniere

Woodward and Maxell

LaFreniere and Kikta (flip a coin for who dances the ppd)

Laracey and ... again, anyone ( I saw her debut with Silas Farley, lovely, but maybe this time a man who isn't a foot taller)

I'm not sure they could come up with casting that I WOULDN'T like.

They generally don't use short women for CG.  Woodward is too short for this ballet, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, abatt said:

They generally don't use short women for CG.  Woodward is too short for this ballet, in my opinion.

That may be generally true, but I remember it being one of the roles Abi Stafford did for quite some time. Unless I'm remembering wrong she wasn't tall.

10 hours ago, vipa said:

That may be generally true, but I remember it being one of the roles Abi Stafford did for quite some time. Unless I'm remembering wrong she wasn't tall.

I saw her dance it with Maria Kowroski. I was hard to "see" them both, they are built on such a different scale.

Edited by BalanchineFan
2 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I understood the question as “who would you like to see dance Concerto Barocco?” rather than a prediction of who will be cast. 

Also, I think it would be intereting to have a short cast. For me, height isn't the important thing, it's the movement quality and perhaps even the dancers' proportions. Gelsey Kirkland did it. Not a tall dancer but in some ways she danced tall.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:36 PM, BalanchineFan said:

Could you tell whether Nadon was rehearsing Dark Angel or Waltz Girl.