This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

Roman Mejia was replaced in the Saturday Matinee.  He was replaced by Coll in the Gold role.  Anyone know why.

By the way , I saw the Sat matinee and I'm pretty sure that Coll was doing the modified version of Gold that Davide Riccardo did the other night.  I also noticed that in the final sequence of her variation in the Wedding section, our Lilac fairy Gerrity omitted the final step where she has to spin and go down to one knee.  That particular step has been a problem for a lot of the Lilacs, but she performed it well during her debut last week. Since the motif of the Lilac and the fairies going down to one knee is a motif in the ballet's choreography, I found that change a bit disappointing,   I don't know if it was planned or it was a performance error. 

12 hours ago, canbelto said:

According to NYCB's IG stories, Marika Anderson retired tonight after her performance of Carabosse.

She also performed the Queen earlier in the run in the cast I saw. It struck me that I’d never seen someone do that role so emotively and maternally! She really brought what is often a pretty wooden promenading role some life and color. Brava Marika!

40 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

She also performed the Queen earlier in the run in the cast I saw. It struck me that I’d never seen someone do that role so emotively and maternally! She really brought what is often a pretty wooden promenading role some life and color. Brava Marika!

Her Queen mom was completely different than anyone else. Full of warm and totally devoided of the much favored aloofness and plasticity. Even with funny accents here and there. When she fell asleep she didn't go all elongated and stretchy. She just collapsed as if she was drunk. I loved it.🤣

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I also noticed that in the final sequence of her variation in the Wedding section, our Lilac fairy Gerrity omitted the final step where she has to spin and go down to one knee.  That particular step has been a problem for a lot of the Lilacs, but she performed it well during her debut last week. Since the motif of the Lilac and the fairies going down to one knee is a motif in the ballet's choreography, I found that change a bit disappointing,   I don't know if it was planned or it was a performance error. 

You are right. A very tricky step that everyone seems having problems with. It is a super fast turn and down, so quite hard to keep balance. I notice some of the best ending variations are those in which Martins keeps the final beat for a certain arm movement instead of a final turn to pose or jump to pose. Keeping the last bar as an extra for arms gives the performers time to safely place themselves and then a dramatic "ta da!" with arms. Best examples...Prince Desiree's sólo after the vision fairies leave the stage. Rapid chainee turns to pose on knee AND then final bar with arms crossed on chest. Or Bluebird, with sequence of Entrechat sixes to knee TO THEN a final flip of his wings. Poor Lilac has to turn, go down on knee and pose in ONE movement.

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
10 minutes ago, pirouette said:

Ashley Hod just posted on her Instagram story that Mira Nadon, Emilie Gerrity, Isabella LaFreniere, and Roman Mejia have been promoted to principal dancers!

Thanks for the post @pirouette. The instagram story is very cute. Congrats to all. I admit I'm a little sad that it isn't happening for Ashley Laracey, but that was a long shot. Now I'm hoping to hear about a couple of promotions to soloist - Maxwell and Takahashi, maybe

7 hours ago, abatt said:

Roman Mejia was replaced in the Saturday Matinee.  He was replaced by Coll in the Gold role.  Anyone know why.

Mejia danced Bluebird ppd today, so no, I have no idea why he would be replaced Saturday. He was fabulous. The crowd went wild.

I liked LaFreniere as Aurora. Some of the story gets lost or flattened out. I can see why you wouldn't want to play too young or skittish if you're trying to calm your nerves for those balances. It may be a house of Balanchine thing, or just being new in the role. The Rose Adagio was solid technically and she seemed freer once the balances had gone well. Peter Walker really moved me in the Vision scene. He has the bearing of a prince and the intense, searching aspect of the character is strong. He had a bit of trouble landing his jumps in the Wedding, but no matter. The fish dives were great. The way they do it (at least today) it's almost like he gets her in the dive in penché arabesque then she lifts her bottom leg. It was fully danced and exciting.

It's a tall cast, with Christina Clark as the Queen and Emily Kikta as Lilac Fairy. They work well together. Emma Von Enck is great in Puss & Boots. Alexa Maxwell really shone. She's had an amazing winter season, preceded by an amazing fall and spring.

The jewels section isn't great. I agree with whoever was questioning the choreography. I think it would be hard to make a huge impact with what they're given. Davide Riccardo danced Gold well, aside from a little bobble ending his last turn. He is so beautiful to watch. Lands his jumps like butter. Silent. The jesters killed it. Brought the house down. Excellent timing, in canon, unison, everything.

It's been a season with lots and lots of debuts. It's exciting, after years of seeing the same five or six ballerinas do everything.

Gia Kourlas has the story:

Early Sunday evening, just after New York City Ballet’s final performance of the season, four soloists received the kind of postseason gift every dancer dreams of: Emilie Gerrity, Isabella LaFreniere, Roman Mejia and Mira Nadon were elevated to the rank of principal dancer. They learned of their promotions onstage after the curtain fell on “The Sleeping Beauty,” receiving the news from Jonathan Stafford, the company’s artistic director, and Wendy Whelan, its associate artistic director. During that ballet’s two-week run, and throughout the winter season, they had all made important debuts, including originating roles in the premiere of Justin Peck’s evening-length “Copland Dance Episodes.”

Now that space in the soloist roster has opened up, they definitely need to promote Alexa Maxwell to soloist. It would be egregious and an insult to her not to. I was also holding out my hopes for Laracey, but sadly suspected it wouldn't happen. I personally loved her Lilac. 

Any other predictions for soloists and when they would announce them? 

Looking at the current soloist ranks for the woman, as they stand with the new promotions. Sarah Adams, Ashley Hod (announced on insta she'd miss spring season for surgery), Emily Kikta, Ashley Laracey, Miriam Miller, Emma Von Enck and four women who are cast somewhat infrequently: LeCrone, Pazoquin, Pereira and Pollack. Let me know if I'm missing someone. Interestingly Alexa Maxwell danced more soloists roles that some of the current soloists in the fall and winter seasons.

Does anyone know off hand the last time a person so young as Nadon (21)  was promoted to principal?  Extraordinary and well-deserved.  After Marika’s retirement, the most senior corps members are now Devon Alberda, Mary Elizabeth Sell (happily pregnant!) and Jenelle Manzi, all made apprentices around the same time in 2005.  They are all wonderful dancers and hopefully have more years ahead of them in the company if they want to stay.   I long hoped for a promotion for Alberda, but I suspect that door has closed.  Mercifully the current leadership is allowing his talents as a photographer to shine.

Edited by KikiRVA

Maxwell is insanely overdue for promotion. I want to keep meaghan Dutton O’Hara in the mix, I would love to see more of her. Riccardo is also glaringly obvious - why wait? Can’t help being disappointed about Laracey and Kikta. Why aren’t my favorites also management favorites?

3 minutes ago, KikiRVA said:

Does anyone know off hand the last time a person so young as Nadon (21)  was promoted to principal?

Probably Tiler Peck?

abatt was right on the money in terms of announcement timing! 

as for youngest recent-ish promotions, I think besides Tiler, Megan was 20 and Maria was probably 21 or 22. Sara was a little older, no? 

have to think kikta/von enck are in the next possible group; I would think Gilbert Bolden might be promoted to soloist rather soon also. 

10 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I am disappointed, very, about Kikta!!

Me too about Kikta. I also think it's strange there were no promotions to soloist. Given casting I thought Maxwell was a sure thing with Oliva McKinnon close behind. Among other things, Maxwell was second cast principal in Copeland Episodes, doing the Tiler Peck role.