This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

The New York Times has a story today about the NYCB 2022-2023 season. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/15/arts/music/new-york-city-ballet-2022-23-season.html

I don't see an actual schedule with the Times story or on the NYCB site. If anyone finds that, please share the link.

A few more details: 

On Sunday, December 4 at 5pm, NYCB Principal Dancer Sterling Hyltin will give her farewell performance with NYCB as the Sugarplum Fairy in George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, a role she first performed in 2006. 

The fall season opens Tuesday, September 20. The spring season ends May 28, 2023.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-York-City-Ballet-Announces-2022-23-Season-20220415

Edited by California
additional information

I see they are doing Scotch Symphony in the fall.  Hopefully they will give Mira Nadon the lead, since her performance in the SAB workshop was a unanimous rave from every critic who reviewed it.  Bouder used to do this role, but I think it's now time for a  new  leading  lady.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

I see they are doing Scotch Symphony in the fall.  Hopefully they will give Mira Nadon the lead, since her performance in the SAB workshop was a unanimous rave from every critic who reviewed it.  Bouder used to do this role, but I think it's now time for a  new  leading  lady.

Oh yes please!

3 hours ago, canbelto said:

So sad to read about Sterling Hyltin's retirement. What a lovely dancer.

I'm sorry too. I feel like I "discovered" her late in her career! I only started seeking her out a couple of years pre-pandemic. 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, nycvillager said:

Ah, I am not ready to see Sterling go! I’ll have to see her as much as possible before. She is one of my favorites and her dancing has not declined. Sad about this one, wonder if others are coming…

Agree, she's really going out on top. I respect her decision to do so, but it does make for a particularly painful retirement from an audience perspective because she's still such a fantastic dancer! 

On 4/15/2022 at 1:20 PM, California said:

The New York Times has a story today about the NYCB 2022-2023 season. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/15/arts/music/new-york-city-ballet-2022-23-season.html

I don't see an actual schedule with the Times story or on the NYCB site. If anyone finds that, please share the link.

A few more details: 

On Sunday, December 4 at 5pm, NYCB Principal Dancer Sterling Hyltin will give her farewell performance with NYCB as the Sugarplum Fairy in George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, a role she first performed in 2006. 

The fall season opens Tuesday, September 20. The spring season ends May 28, 2023.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-York-City-Ballet-Announces-2022-23-Season-20220415

VERY excited for the fall Abraham premiere. Lots of ballets I'm excited to see, especially Vienna Waltzes, La Sonambula, the Ratmansky pieces, and Donizetti Variations.

I'm surprised they are not doing Midsummer Night's Dream next Spring. I sort of think of it as a perennial spring season closer. I will have to get my fill this year. I imagine for this year we will have at least one new Titania... Mira Nadon or Isabella LaFreniere, perhaps?

6 minutes ago, FayBallet said:

Is there any way to tell which Valse Fantaisie is scheduled?

If you click through the "more information" on the schedule: https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/valse-fantaisie-1969/

This brief but captivating ballet finds a principal couple and a corps de ballet of four women in a whirl of perpetual motion set to Glinka’s swooning melodies.

The current version of Valse-Fantaisie was originally presented by New York City Ballet in 1967 as the second section of Glinkiana, which was choreographed to four different compositions of Glinka.

Balanchine had choreographed to the Valse-Fantaisie on two other occasions: in 1931 for one of Sir Oswald Stoll’s Variety Shows in London, and in 1953 for New York City Ballet. The music, roughly contemporaneous with Chopin’s waltzes, is fast and light, although it was popularly called the Melancholy Waltz.

9 minutes

Looking over the next year's programming as a whole, my initial reaction is the same as for this year: lots of individual works I want to see, but rather few programs that I'm very excited about. This makes me concerned about the new leadership — maybe they just don't program in a way that suits my tastes. 

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

It does seems like an awfully big box-office gamble.

In the past I've noticed that they tend to program new works a total of 8 times.  If it gets good press it comes back in future seasons, but if it bombs its gone after the total of eight performances. (The one exception here was Call Me Ben, which I think was performed twice and then dumped because it was so bad.)

So they are obviously investing heavily in the Peck work if they feel the need to automatically schedule it 11 times.  Since it is a "full length", they are going to be spending a lot of time rehearsing a lot of people for this. 

Added:  I'm starting to wonder if Balanchine's  "Davidsbündlertänze" is ever going to be staged at NYCB again.  I think it was last performed in 2014.   The lead role was a breakthrough for a young Russell Janezn.

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

It does seems like an awfully big box-office gamble.

I agree. Usually full lengths at NYCB generate great ticket sales with works like Midsummer, Coppelia or Swan Lake (which seems to sell tickets regardless of the version). Maybe Justin Peck will use a lot of SAB children, to get parents and relatives in the seats!!!

16 hours ago, abatt said:

For me, the idea of a full length Justin Peck work set to Aaron Copland music is not enticing at all. 

I somehow missed “full length” in the article.

Wowza. I’m guessing they’re trying to capitalize on his West Side Story success. But, I agree with others that this is a huge gamble and I have my doubts…