This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

LaJeromeny Brown made a charming, memorable impression in Western Symphony at the SAB Workshop a few years back. Sorry to see him leave NYCB, but I wish him well. 

Megan Fairchild did an interesting interview with Lajeromeny Brown that left me with the feeling that ballet was not Brown's main focus or field, so I'm not surprised. Great interview!

1 hour ago, springnemesia said:

Very excited to hear how tonight goes! I can't believe I'm considering doing the matinee AND evening show on Saturday just out of desperation to see TschaiPas...

Do we know yet if there's a second cast Apollo or if Danchig-Waring is doing all three shows? Was hoping for a Joseph Gordon debut at some point!

I'm with you!  I had to change my tickets for tonight because of a conflict and can't wait to hear the reviews.  Gordon is long overdue for an Apollo.

1 hour ago, springnemesia said:

Very excited to hear how tonight goes! I can't believe I'm considering doing the matinee AND evening show on Saturday just out of desperation to see TschaiPas..

Good showing from the company tonight.  

Divertimento looked clean, and Joseph Gordon was especially excellent, making a huge impression in his short solos.  

Bouder is BACK indeed in Scotch Symphony!  Didn’t think of it as a natural role for her, but she was absolutely lovely — gorgeous épaulement, and her movements seemed to extend beyond the tips of her fingers.  Bouder’s changed a bit, but the technique and charisma is very much still there.  You wouldn’t think that she’d just spent a year away.

Sonnambula was a dream.  The drama worked and, despite the ridiculousness of the story, didn’t feel overwrought, because Mearns, Hyltin, Stanley, and Veyette struck exactly the right balance acting-wise.  Divertissements were stellar, particularly Ulbricht as the jester.  Hyltin was absolutely stunning as Sleepwalker.

Edited to add:  There was a before-curtain announcement that Lars Nelson would be replaced in both his featured roles tonight.  Here’s hoping that whatever took him out tonight will be short-term!

Edited by tutu
15 minutes ago, abatt said:

The fact that  Ulbricht is still doing a minor role like Jester after this many years as a principal is heartbreaking.  Give this guy the respect he deserves and has earned.  

Thanks for the reports!

I have thought this about Ulbricht for a number years now. When he was finally given Oberon, after a century as Puck, he was spectacular in the role. I fear it is too late in his career for  him to be cast better than he is, but I look forward to seeing him in the Oct. Tharp show at City Center.

I absolutely love Divertimento No. 15 with its beauty, delicacy, and humor. Joseph Gordon and Unity Phelan were  excellent. I really love the minuet that comes after the t&v section, so charming and somehow moving. I feel I could never tire of this piece. 
I also very much enjoy Scotch Symphony with its dark and mysterious beauty. Jovani Furlan looked fabulous in that outfit and has the needed gravitas. Bouder, not so much. I found her stiff and underpowered, not to mention this role is not a good fit for her even at her best. The magic of Scotch Symphony would be greatly enhanced with a dancer who can bring some mystery to it. I look forward to seeing Hyltin, but really think Laracey and Nadon are very obvious choices here. This is a missed opportunity that does a disservice to this work. MHO. 

2 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Bouder, not so much. I found her stiff and underpowered, not to mention this role is not a good fit for her even at her best. The magic of Scotch Symphony would be greatly enhanced with a dancer who can bring some mystery to it. I look forward to seeing Hyltin, but really think Laracey and Nadon are very obvious choices here. This is a missed opportunity that does a disservice to this work. MHO. 

Funny how you and I left with opposite impressions!  It’s my first time seeing Scotch Symphony (I know, I know…) so maybe that’s part of our different reactions here.  Who have you really enjoyed in the role in the past, Cobweb?

Hey @tutu, I haven’t seen Scotch Symphony all that many times because NYCB doesn’t do it all that often. I think my first time seeing it was at the SAB Workshop about 5 years ago, which was also my first introduction to Mira Nadon. Then NYCB did it a year or so later and I saw it a few more times, I think with Bouder. Laracey had one performance which very sadly I had to miss. But it’s clear to me that both Nadon and Laracey, and let’s throw in Phelan too, have the airy, mysterious qualities that would elevate this entire piece. 

8 hours ago, cobweb said:

Hey @tutu, I haven’t seen Scotch Symphony all that many times because NYCB doesn’t do it all that often. I think my first time seeing it was at the SAB Workshop about 5 years ago, which was also my first introduction to Mira Nadon. Then NYCB did it a year or so later and I saw it a few more times, I think with Bouder. Laracey had one performance which very sadly I had to miss. But it’s clear to me that both Nadon and Laracey, and let’s throw in Phelan too, have the airy, mysterious qualities that would elevate this entire piece. 

Thanks for the color here.  Would to have been at that Nadon workshop performance…

So glad fall season is starting!

Divertimento 15-- a nice "we're back and in FORM" showcase for the company ladies. Everyone looked good, especially Emilie, Unity, and Joseph Gordon.

Scotch Symphony--the return of Ashley B! I love her, and admire her working so hard to come back to the stage after a long absence. From my point of view, she set herself quite a challenge for her first night back in this role; I agree with @cobwebthat it is not a natural showcase for her gifts. I hate to say it but she's looked better. Which, fair, it's her first night performing in a year. But because Scotch Symphony's choreography is SO focused on those pas de deux, the whole thing felt a bit limp and unsatisfying to me (though Jovani was excellent and Baily Jones was able and crisp in the red kilt soloist role). I'm sure Ashley only looked not so stellar relative to my own memories of her many amazing performances; the new-to-ballet friend I attended with thought "you'd never know" she hadn't danced in a year and loved the whole thing. I myself just don't love Scotch Symphony in general, for me the choreography doesn't really build and feels disjointed. 

La Sonambula--far and away the highlight of the evening for me. I love this weird, creepy, tragic little ballet so much. I remember Wendy being wonderful as the Sleepwalker so I'm hoping she has a soft spot for the ballet and will continue to program it now that she's in artistic leadership. I find the Sleepwalker/Poet pas de deux one of the most moving Balanchine ever did, and Taylor Stanley nails the confusion building to heartbreak perfectly. Sara was a joy to watch, always perfect in these siren roles and she makes the Coquette more than a siren with the visceral betrayal and regret she beautifully embodied. Sterling summoned all the mystery, beauty, and interiority that the Sleepwalker requires.

Regarding Danny Ulbricht as the Jester: huge applause from the audience, my friend commented after that he "stole the show". It's definitely a minor role, but he nails it perfectly from the technique to the comedy. I don't know much about company politics and have no knowledge of whether or not he may resent doing these Jester-type roles as a senior principal. But I guess I think of the "no small roles, only small performers" cliché. Why not keep hitting it out of the park in these smaller solo roles even though he's a principal?

1 hour ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

I myself just don't love Scotch Symphony in general, for me the choreography doesn't really build and feels disjointed.

This is why it needs a ballerina who can bring something extra. If Scotch Symphony is going to hold attention, it needs a ballerina who tantalizes and fascinates. Otherwise it can get dull fast.

48 minutes ago, cobweb said:

This is why it needs a ballerina who can bring something extra. If Scotch Symphony is going to hold attention, it needs a ballerina who tantalizes and fascinates. Otherwise it can get dull fast.

Agreed.    Looking forward to Hyltin who seems more of a natural for the role.  I haven't seen Scotch more than a handful of times but I have always enjoyed it.  As noted the ballerina can make or break it which goes for most ballets.

I’m glad to be back at the ballet, and I’m loving the Divertimento-Scotch-sonnambula  program. The only thing that might keep me from seeing all five performances of this program is my 40th high school reunion. (Still undecided about whether to revisit high school…if anyone has insights on high school reunions, PM me.) 

There was so much elegance going on during Divertimento that I didn’t know where to look. It was all great. The elegance of Joseph Gordon (subbing for Peter Walker, hope all is okay there!), Aaron Sanz, and Davide Riccardo; the long legs and scintillating beauty of Emily Kikta; the incomparable carriage of Ashley Laracey - I was pretty much on cloud 9. This is a great vehicle for everyone involved, and IMHO it should be a recurring staple like Serenade and Symphony in C. 
Scotch Symphony fared much better tonight than last night, with Hyltin and the pristine Huxley. Olivia Boisson is looking lovely. She has always been an attractive dancer, but the years have given her maturity, polish, and real graciousness. Would love to see her in more. 
Unity Phelan and Harrison Ball both looked great in the all-debut La Sonnambula. Ball is so handsome it hurts the eyes. He has bulked out somewhat over the years and now makes a substantial, can’t-look-away presence. Phelan on the other hand was less beautiful than is natural to her, looking tired and wan like a sleepwalker ought, and it suited the role perfectly. She was like a force of nature, running under her own unknown rules. Very moving when she appeared searching for the dead poet.
Young David Gabriel made a great impression of elegance and ease in the Pastorale. Will look for him again. And Cainan Weber in the Harlequin role made a case for himself as someone to watch. Totally at ease with the choreography and no problem holding the stage on his own. 

Looking forward to the casting for Vienna Waltzes. 

I was there last night.  It was an excellent program.  I have not focused much in the past on Davide Riccardo,  What a beautiful dancer.  Tall, beautiful line.  Can't wait to see more of his work.  Divertimento 15 is always a ray of golden sunshine.  Gorgeous work from all.  Tiler Peck once again amazed with her speed and musicality.  Gordon was sheer perfection. 

I enjoyed Scoth.  It doesn't come around much.  Hyltin interprets the role in a more playful way than some others, but it's a valid interpretation.  

Harrison Ball had a great debut.  Every inch the handsome poet.  That famous fully extended backbend he did was perfection.  I thought Phelan was good, but not as mysterious or windblown as what I recall from Whelan.  The bourees, I think, need to be a  bit faster.   Nice to see Gina P. get a new role.   Jared Angle looks  heavy for a NYCB dancer  and out of shape.

Funny story.  You may know that Ball is engaged to designer Zac Posen.  Before the show I heard one of NyCB's employees say to one of the elevator operators that he was the "stage door ambassador for Zac Posen".   Sounds like quite a title!   Anyway, I assume that Zac P. was in the audience watching Ball's stellar debut as the Poet.

Still no casting for Week 3.  

The program of new works is selling like hot cakes.  I had no idea Solange was so popular, but I know very little about the current music scene.

Edited by abatt

Agree with all of the above about last night. Excellent show all around. Watching Huxley's feather-light jumps and precise footwork is always a treat. Davide Riccardo looks like a real danseur noble and I hope to see him more. 

The only dancer who just didn't do it for me was Pazcoguin. She gets cast in dramatic roles from time to time and she's great as Anita in West Side Story, but I've often found her underpowered, including last night. Jared Angle's continued presence on the roster is a mystery. 

If Peter Walker is out of Raymonda, who will dance opposite LaFreniere? Huxley is too short. Gordon has done the role before, so I wouldn't be surprised if he steps in. 

Still no Week 3 casting, or updates for this week (if Walker remains out). I hope this isn't going to become like last season, where they just stopped updating the casting sheets online. If anyone is there tonight, please check the casting sheet in the lobby to see if it's been updated. 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Regarding Danny Ulbricht as the Jester: huge applause from the audience, my friend commented after that he "stole the show". It's definitely a minor role, but he nails it perfectly from the technique to the comedy. I don't know much about company politics and have no knowledge of whether or not he may resent doing these Jester-type roles as a senior principal. But I guess I think of the "no small roles, only small performers" cliché. Why not keep hitting it out of the park in these smaller solo roles even though he's a principal?

If Ulbricht is one of the best ever in the Sonnambula Jester, and he's available, why not have him do it? In the first week - Tuesday and Friday - that's all he has for the week. Without those two Jesters he wouldn't be out there at all, for an entire week. What a waste. Having him do it is a gift for the audience. To see what that variation is supposed to look like and how it momentarily lightens what is a very somber ballet.