This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

18 hours ago, abatt said:

For me, the idea of a full length Justin Peck work set to Aaron Copland music is not enticing at all. 

Perhaps it will be a three-in-one sort of full-evening work, a-la Jewels?  Peck has already choreographed Rodeo (Ro-Deo). I could picture an All-Americana Evening of two new ballets (such as new takes on Appalachian Spring, Billy the Kid) + Ro-Deo🤷‍♀️

That's a possibility - 3 separate ballets.  However, I would have thought they would describe it differently in the materials if that's what was intended - i.e., Rodeo, New Copland/Peck 1, New Copland/Peck 2.

One full evening of Peck seems like far too much Peck.  And probably too much Copland.

Think about the fact that the only choreographers who get full evenings at NYCB are  Balanchine, Robbins and of course the classic full lengths (R&J, SL, SB and Midsummer).  Wheeldon got an "All  Wheeldon" evening under Martins for four performances one season, consisting of three Wheeldon ballets. 

I'd much rather see an All Ratmansky evening, or even an All Wheeldon evening, than an All Peck evening.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, abatt said:

For me, the idea of a full length Justin Peck work set to Aaron Copland music is not enticing at all. 

No, it is not enticing, it's a turn-off!

Hyltin's retirement is a downer, coming so relatively soon after Kowroski's and Reichlen's.  Tiler, don't go!

Some very exciting stuff in the 2022-23 season but it's odd how repetitive some of the programs are -- for example, putting both Haiff Divertimento and Donizetti Variations on two separate programs. I can't wrap my head around the double bill of one-act Swan Lake and Pictures at an Exhibition (and in that order) to close the whole season. I appreciate the amount of hard-core classical in the season though, and all of the Ratmansky. Will definitely take a "wait and see" approach with the Peck full-length (hopefully it won't have sneakers!). Sleeping Beauty could have some exciting casting. Bummed they're not doing Diamonds after cancelling it this past winter, but hopefully it will be back soon! 

On 4/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, volcanohunter said:

It does seems like an awfully big box-office gamble.

Peck did well with Copland's Rodeo. It's one of my favorites.  I'm also glad he's using music from the classical canon. He's done a lot of pieces to Sufjan Stevens (and composers of this generation), and, much as I love Everywhere We Go, it's good that Justin Peck is broadening his musical choices. I have the 22-23 schedule sitting on my desk, haven't opened it yet. I'm excited to hear more about this new full length.

I hope there won't be sneakers.

Ok, I looked.

Balanchine's Swan Lake!! It also looks like Peter Martin's Swan Lake is (permanently!!?) gone. Whoohoo! That could be one nice, Covid related benefit for the audience.

It isn't just that they're omitting Midsummer next year (and why not? can't each spring be a bit different?), they don't have a Balanchine full length with roles for children. Some years they end the season with Coppelia. Maybe they had their fill dealing with so many children during the pandemic. Or maybe they figure the kids will dance in Sleeping Beauty in the winter and that's plenty. 

You know, Peter Martins choreographed R+J, Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty. I think it's about time Justin Peck entered the full length canon! He is infinitely superior as a  choreographer.

Edited by BalanchineFan
On 4/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, BalanchineFan said:

Balanchine's Swan Lake!! It also looks like Peter Martin's Swan Lake is (permanently!!?) gone. Whoohoo! That could be one nice, Covid related benefit for the audience.

I hope NYCB acquired the rights to the Ratmansky Swan Lake, but who knows.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, BalanchineFan said:

Peck did well with Copland's Rodeo. It's one of my favorites.  I'm also glad he's using music from the classical canon. He's done a lot of pieces to Sufjan Stevens (and composers of this generation), and, much as I love Everywhere We Go, it's good that Justin Peck is broadening his musical choices. I have the 22-23 schedule sitting on my desk, haven't opened it yet. I'm excited to hear more about this new full length.

I agree!  I love Peck's Rodeo and look forward to his new full length work set to Copland's music.  

So sorry to hear about Hyltin’s retirement!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I hope NYCB acquired the rights to the Ratmansky Swan Lake, but who knows.

The Ratmansky reconstruction of Swan Lake was originally a co-production of Zurich and La Scala. Looks like La Scala is apparently going back to their more "traditional" version and Bolle never performed the Ratmansky version. I would love to see this produced in North America vy somebody other than Miami and most big companies already have their own version (San Francisco, PNB, Boston, ABT, Canada, for sure). I wonder, for NYCB, if it would be seen as an historical oddity that wouldn't wear well.

4 hours ago, California said:

The Ratmansky reconstruction of Swan Lake was originally a co-production of Zurich and La Scala. Looks like La Scala is apparently going back to their more "traditional" version and Bolle never performed the Ratmansky version. I would love to see this produced in North America vy somebody other than Miami and most big companies already have their own version (San Francisco, PNB, Boston, ABT, Canada, for sure). I wonder, for NYCB, if it would be seen as an historical oddity that wouldn't wear well.

I'd love it if  NYCB could get Ratmansky's SL, but I just don't see it happening for the reason you give and probably others.  I wonder why ABT wouldn't want it as it is superior to the version they already have, which I think is McKenzie "after Petipa".

15 minutes ago, Marta said:

I'd love it if  NYCB could get Ratmansky's SL, but I just don't see it happening for the reason you give and probably others.  I wonder why ABT wouldn't want it as it is superior to the version they already have, which I think is McKenzie "after Petipa".

As long as McKenzie is AD, his production will continue at ABT.  Since he has credit as the choreographer, even though it is "after Petipa", McKenzie continues to get royalties.  He has no incentive to ditch his own production.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

As long as McKenzie is AD, his production will continue at ABT.  Since he has credit as the choreographer, even though it is "after Petipa", McKenzie continues to get royalties.  He has no incentive to ditch his own production.

Right!  Never stopped to think about royalties.  

The company just posted an interview with Hyltin.

"Hyltin considers herself so blessed to have been able to do what she loves that she’s retiring in order to help her daughter find that special something for herself. 'I love dancing so much,' Hyltin says. 'It’s been a gift to be surrounded by passionate people. That gives you confidence. I want to inspire that in my daughter, let her teach me where she should be. And for that I need to be present for her, not off dancing all the time.'"

https://saratogaliving.com/sterling-hyltin-new-york-city-ballet/

7 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

She will be missed.

Indeed she will! I've really enjoyed her dancing and I'm sad to see her go. (I thought she looked terrific in her duet with India Bradley in Peck's Partita.) I hope she continues to choreograph. I think the two pieces she's done for the NYCI show real promise and I'd love to see her pursue a choreographic career if she has a mind to.

You can see videos of her two NYCI works here and here.

11 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Soloist Claire Kretzschmar announced she will be retiring in October. Her final performance will be in Vienna Waltzes on the 15th. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChFCtqbg9Wj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I'll miss her. Even in the corps she was always a stand out. She's been the co-host of City Ballet the podcast and done some interesting work there. I wonder if she'll continue in that capacity. She also put on a small scale, fun production of Nutcracker during the pandemic. Whatever direction she chooses to go in, I wish her well.

I noticed this past season that Kreztschmar was cast very infrequently compared to most of the other soloists. I think she might have danced just the Justin Peck works and Nutcracker. Before the pandemic, she did Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Episodes, and a couple of other big roles. Her career seems to have stalled for whatever reason. I liked the piece she choreographed for the pandemic digital season and wish her the best if she's focusing on choreography now. 

That is indeed a lovely photo of Kretzschmar. She didn't seem to be flourishing at the company in recent years, and was cast much less than other soloists, including the freshly promoted batch. She made a big impression in that "creature" section of Episodes several years ago, but I didn't find her to be consistently compelling. I wonder if there will be other retirement announcements. On another note, I wish they would provide photos of all the dancers alongside their bios. They have always been slow to get pics up, but it's gotten ridiculous. Lauren Collet joined the corps in November 2019, and there is still no pic of her, nor of anyone who's joined since then. I like to be able to identify the new ones, and it's almost impossible without the pics.