This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

1 hour ago, uptowner said:

I noticed on Jovani Furlan's instagram "stories" today that he writes that he will be performing Scotch Symphony with Ashley Bouder on opening night 9/20 and on 9/23

So that means Bouder's back! ... after her unexplained absence all last year. Be glad to see her again. 

17 hours ago, cobweb said:

So that means Bouder's back! ... after her unexplained absence all last year. Be glad to see her again. 

She was dancing a little over the summer at the Lake Tahoe Dance Collective (via Instagram, last photo in link) where she danced the divertimento from Midsummer with exNYCB Stephen Hannah. I'm interested in reports of where she is in terms of fitness. 

20 hours ago, NinaFan said:

How right you are!  I do not see it listed under the ballets for that program on the main fall page, but I see a blurb at the top of the linked page indicating that duo is replaced by TPDD for those two dates.  Talk about confusion!  Anyway, thanks!

https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/fall-22

People are also complaining online about ABT's interface with that same theater. Maybe it has something to do with the theater.

18 minutes ago, abatt said:

LaFreniere is getting important debuts.  She seems to be among the top of the list for promotion if she does well and stays healthy.

I'm on board with that! 

I'm glad to see Davide Riccardo getting an opportunity in the soloist role of Divertimento No. 15. His elegant presentation will be perfect for this role. 

37 minutes ago, KikiRVA said:

Looks like the ranks are pretty healthy!  Janzen and Danchig-Waring are the only principals not on the schedule.  Let's pray to Terpsichore that injuries and COVID are a thing of the past!

Very happy to see Joe Gordon seems to be back at full strength. I'm going to sat eve/sun mat and glad to get Hyltin in Duo and Scotch Symphony since I won't be going to see her Sugarplum retirement.  Is Olivia MacKinnon debuting the Suki role in Scotch Symphony? 

Yes, O. MacKinnon is debuting the soloist role.  Last revival they gave that role to Mira Nadon.  This gives me hope that Nadon will be moved up to the lead role in Scotch as the third cast during the second week of performances.  I'm recalling that every critic in NY raved about Mira's SAB performance as the lead in Scotch, so hopefully we will be able to see her in that role at the Koch.

58 minutes ago, abatt said:

Yes, O. MacKinnon is debuting the soloist role.  Last revival they gave that role to Mira Nadon.  This gives me hope that Nadon will be moved up to the lead role in Scotch as the third cast during the second week of performances.  I'm recalling that every critic in NY raved about Mira's SAB performance as the lead in Scotch, so hopefully we will be able to see her in that role at the Koch.

Mira danced that soloist role? I associate that role with a very small dancer so I'm surprised. I watched her SAB performance on one of the pandemic streams and she was wonderful (she danced with Davide Riccardo).  

I have tickets for the 29th eve and thought I was seeing duo concertant until I saw that random notice about Tchai pas.  All good but I think they definitely could have found a way to make it more clear to the buyer. I saw tiler peck is doing it on the 24th but I guess not the 29th.  So curious who it will be! 

Robert Fairchild posted on his IG account that he will return to NYCB on Oct. 13 to dance with Sterling Hyltin in her last repertory performance, as her partner in The Last Waltz of Vienna Waltzes. "Never thought I’d get to say this again but we’ll have one more debut together in The Last Waltz from George BALANCHINE’S Vienna Waltzes." Such a sweet post. https://www.instagram.com/p/CiN9tAxD9K_/

10 hours ago, susanger said:

Robert Fairchild posted on his IG account that he will return to NYCB on Oct. 13 to dance with Sterling Hyltin in her last repertory performance, as her partner in The Last Waltz of Vienna Waltzes. "Never thought I’d get to say this again but we’ll have one more debut together in The Last Waltz from George BALANCHINE’S Vienna Waltzes." Such a sweet post. https://www.instagram.com/p/CiN9tAxD9K_/

So Sterling is debuting Rosenkavalier! How lovely. And how lovely that she's cast with Robert Fairchild. He's looking fabulous these days. I have tickets to see him in the Wheeldon/Joni Mitchell piece with Sara Mearns at Fall For Dance. I'm really looking forward to that ,too.

20 hours ago, Fernie M said:

Somewhat disappointed I will not see Mira Nadon as lead in Scotch Symphony. I think she would’ve been an excellent choice for the third cast lead. 

Agree. I would love to see Nadon and/or Laracey. I'm not sure this role is the best fit for Ashley Bouder's talents and style.

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Agree. I would love to see Nadon and/or Laracey. I'm not sure this role is the best fit for Ashley Bouder's talents and style.

On instagram, Bouder posted a picture of herself in Scotch from years ago, with a statement about her past year https://www.instagram.com/p/CidkhdEPQfB/

Bouder's rep tends to be very technical, so maybe she's doing what she can handle as she returns. That said, I'd love to see Laracey get a chance. Nadon too, but she does have a lot of time.

Edited by vipa
23 hours ago, cobweb said:

I didn't care at all for Bouder when I saw her in Scotch Symphony before the pandemic, and her shoes squeaked like crazy throughout (hopefully that's no longer an issue). But I agree that perhaps the ballet is a way for her to get back onstage. 

In her Instagram post, I thought she was indicating that she'd be dancing the first movement of Symphony in C at the fall gala. But I see on the casting sheet that they're only doing the fourth movement of the ballet, so her role will be much more limited. What a truly odd thing to program for the start of a gala; I can't imagine what it would be like to watch that movement in isolation, without proper buildup to that big finale. Oh well...

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I see on the casting sheet that they're only doing the fourth movement of the ballet, so her role will be much more limited. What a truly odd thing to program for the start of a gala; I can't imagine what it would be like to watch that movement in isolation, without proper buildup to that big finale.

So if I’m reading the casting list correctly, does that mean Gerrity’s debuting in the fiendishly difficult fourth movement principal role on gala night?  Talk about pressure.

I was confused about the Symphony in C casting as well. Had to study carefully before I figured it out. I assume it’s listed in order of the movements in the whole piece, not in order of appearance in the 4th movement and finale. That means Gerrity and Chan are debuting in the 4th movement. Also Hod and Mejia are doing the 3rd movement reprise. That surprises me, isn’t this usually a shorter ballerina? It’s a shame Alston Macgill isn’t cast in this anymore.