This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

1 hour ago, Fernie M said:

First, congrats to all newly promoted soloists. Very exciting!

I understand Bouder wants to stay as long as possible, but how is that possible? With her injuries, her time away from the stage, age, and obvious physical limitations… how much of her old rep could she really do? Would she be willing/satisfied to perform in other pieces?  BTW, not a negative comment, just a question? 🙂

I am just thrilled for the new soloists, and Alexa Maxwell in particular. She really carried a few evenings in the past seasons, and I feel it was long overdue.

Regarding Bouder, I think it's a complete unknown. She won't be the same dancer she was last fall. She'll be different in some way, maybe many ways. Hopefully she can get healthy and rehab all or any injuries fully. It took Alexa Maxwell a long time to return after a foot injury, hopefully Bouder can do the same.

Edited by BalanchineFan
6 hours ago, Fernie M said:

I think Sara Mearns plans to come back soon. Her IG story this morning commented on seeing National Ballet of Canada, their amazing performance invigorated her to return to stage as soon as possible. I’m not sure if story still up at this point.

Yes, Mearns posted a photo of the company bows with the caption: "Came back to see this. Had to. After being away from performing since October...this piece [Crystal Pite's Angels' Atlas], these dancers have brought me back. they've given me that deep visceral human experience that is unmatched. Thankyou for inspiring me to get back to stage, no matter what it takes."

Her next story from Sunday morning describes "doing 1.5 hours of plies and tendus bootcamp" via video link with Denmark. "Getting back into shape, at the phase in my career w the body I have now, is maybe the most intense ever."

8 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I am just thrilled for the new soloists, and Alexa Maxwell in particular. She really carried a few evenings in the past seasons, and I feel it was long overdue.

Regarding Bouder, I think it's a complete unknown. She won't be the same dancer she was last fall. She'll be different in some way, maybe many ways. Hopefully she can get healthy and rehab all or any injuries fully. It took Alexa Maxwell a long time to return after a foot injury, hopefully Bouder can do the same.

That's true, but it is more likely that you can come back from injuries in your mid / late 20s (Maxwell0 than in your late 30s.  Bouder's age works against her at this point.  

29 minutes ago, abatt said:

That's true, but it is more likely that you can come back from injuries in your mid / late 20s (Maxwell0 than in your late 30s.  Bouder's age works against her at this point.  

So true. Also Bouder is known for her speed, jump and virtuosity. Her rep has always been mostly the very technical ballets. Coming back from injury, as a corps member, has a big set of challenges, but you are not expected to do lead roles in ballets like Square Dance, Theme etc. Bouder could try to move into a different type of rep, but that's not easy.

I'm not surprised about the recent promotions. Alexa Maxwell is definitely ready and deserving. I feel like she had to wait too long and had to deal with so much in the past few years (injury and the photo-sharing scandal). 

As for Bouder, I honestly don't really see her coming back. I know that sounds harsh but it's not meant to be. I don't think she's facing the reality of her situation. How she finally exits will be interesting. 

Jovani Furlan has had such heartbreaking content on his IG. I think his sister died as a result of complications from childbirth. The infant survived and she has an older daughter, too. He's out for the entire Spring Season. I imagine he's back in Brazil tending to family. He said "I'll be back soon"

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jovani.furlan/3072872620811792408/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqnXm2xsliN/

42 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Jovani Furlan has had such heartbreaking content on his IG. I think his sister died as a result of complications from childbirth. The infant survived and she has an older daughter, too. He's out for the entire Spring Season. I imagine he's back in Brazil tending to family. He said "I'll be back soon"

https://www.instagram.com/stories/jovani.furlan/3072872620811792408/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqnXm2xsliN/

It's just unimaginable for Jovani and his poor sister's little girls. I remember that his mother also had a devastating health crisis in the last two years. 

Not that anyone asked me, but I'm having doubts about the wisdom of some of management's recent promotion decisions. Obviously, I'd love to be proved wrong. I loved Isabella LaFreniere in Chaconne in 2021, but since then she's had a few dubious performances in big roles and appears prone to letting nerves get the best of her. Emily Kikta has been getting solo opportunities pretty much ever since she joined the corps, and IMHO would be a much more experienced and reliable choice here, besides being arguably more a more beautiful dancer (or anyway, just as beautiful). Yes she's tall, but what was the point of promoting two very tall women (Kikta and Miller) to soloist if they weren't prepared to have at least one as a principal? Moving on to Emilie Gerrity, I have been a fan of her too, and at her best she comes across as beautifully grand, but other times kind of dull. As I believe it was @vipa suggested awhile back, it might have been wiser to promote Ashley Laracey, who has been very ably carrying the load of a principal for awhile now, with the understanding it would be for a few years before she retires and meanwhile, one of the other soloists might become more ready. Moving on to the recent soloist batch, I really don't understand Olivia MacKinnon, I just find her dull. And KJ Takahashi - why on earth promote him while overlooking tall, versatile, and more-experienced dancers like Gilbert Bolden and Davide Riccardo? I really don't understand the decisions here. Takahashi would IMHO benefit from a little more time in the corps, while Bolden and Riccardo are needed now and ready to move on up. With all those tall soloist women, it seems obvious they need to move up some tall corps guys. I love the excitement of promotions as much as anyone, but I just see some questionable choices here. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Not that anyone asked me, but I'm having doubts about the wisdom of some of management's recent promotion decisions. Obviously, I'd love to be proved wrong. I loved Isabella LaFreniere in Chaconne in 2021, but since then she's had a few dubious performances in big roles and appears prone to letting nerves get the best of her. Emily Kikta has been getting solo opportunities pretty much ever since she joined the corps, and IMHO would be a much more experienced and reliable choice here, besides being arguably more a more beautiful dancer (or anyway, just as beautiful). Yes she's tall, but what was the point of promoting two very tall women (Kikta and Miller) to soloist if they weren't prepared to have at least one as a principal? Moving on to Emilie Gerrity, I have been a fan of her too, and at her best she comes across as beautifully grand, but other times kind of dull. As I believe it was @vipa suggested awhile back, it might have been wiser to promote Ashley Laracey, who has been very ably carrying the load of a principal for awhile now, with the understanding it would be for a few years before she retires and meanwhile, one of the other soloists might become more ready. Moving on to the recent soloist batch, I really don't understand Olivia MacKinnon, I just find her dull. And KJ Takahashi - why on earth promote him while overlooking tall, versatile, and more-experienced dancers like Gilbert Bolden and Davide Riccardo? I really don't understand the decisions here. Takahashi would IMHO benefit from a little more time in the corps, while Bolden and Riccardo are needed now and ready to move on up. With all those tall soloist women, it seems obvious they need to move up some tall corps guys. I love the excitement of promotions as much as anyone, but I just see some questionable choices here. 

I agree with you. I think the reasons behind most of the promotions are not based entirely on ability. 

Week 1 casting is up. Concerto Barocco: Phelan & Laracey, Mearns & LaFreniere. Glad Sara's back!!

Good to see Dominika Afanasenkov getting an opportunity in Afternoon of a Faun. She made a very good impression as the Fairy of Generosity in Sleeping Beauty. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Week 1 casting is up. Concerto Barocco: Phelan & Laracey, Mearns & LaFreniere. Glad Sara's back!!

Good to see Dominika Afanasenkov getting an opportunity in Afternoon of a Faun. She made a very good impression as the Fairy of Generosity in Sleeping Beauty. 

I wonder whether Phelan or Laracey will do the ppd. Laracey danced it her first time out, IIRC. She was beautiful, but only speaking personally, I'd be thrilled to see Phelan do the ppd.

So glad to see Mearns on the casting sheet!!!

Also, JP Frohlich had a picture of Christopher Grant and Dominika Afanasenkov in Afternoon of a Faun on his IG. Really stellar. I think they were just chilling during rehearsal (in costume). I remember her from her time at SAB. She was memorable then, though it didn't occur to me that she would get into NYCB.

Regarding Promotions, a new episode of the podcast interviews Megan Fairchild and Isabella LaFreniere on the topic:

https://podcast.nycballet.com/episode-83-the-rosin-box-promotions

Edited by BalanchineFan

I too was thrilled to see Mearns on the casting sheet. I'm not surprised but a bit disappointed to see Pereira doing both shows of Square Dance that week. She's not cast much, and that ballet has been in her rep, so I expected her to be cast, but I hope there will be a second cast. Megan Fairchild did it on tour recently and I'd be thrilled to see Emma Von Enck get a shot at it. Speaking of Square Dance, it's a signature Ashley Bouder role. There has been no indication that she will be dancing this season. Whether she returns or not, I hope she gets some sort of send off, or acknowledgement when she does decide to leave the company. 

59 minutes ago, abatt said:

Hasn't Mearns been in Concerto B.  before?  It is listed in her bio and I seem to recall her in the role.  Is she switching parts?

I think she was second violin previously, with a more senior principal woman (for example, with Teresa Reichlen or Maria Kowroski) in the first violin role. So maybe she is making her debut as first violin.

13 hours ago, vipa said:

I'm not surprised but a bit disappointed to see Pereira doing both shows of Square Dance that week. She's not cast much, and that ballet has been in her rep, so I expected her to be cast, but I hope there will be a second cast. Megan Fairchild did it on tour recently and I'd be thrilled to see Emma Von Enck get a shot at it.

I too am kind of disappointed to see Pereira in Square Dance. I'd love to see Megan Fairchild, but I'd also REALLY love to see Emma von Enck! Come on NYCB, for all of us who were disappointed not to see von Enck's Aurora, let us see her in Square Dance!

1 hour ago, bellawood said:

I’m sorry Mira is not cast in Barocco, frankly. She’s lower on the totem pole, I understand. But first violin would be a great role for her. Tiler/Joe Gordon in Raymonda is intriguing. 

I agree completely!

Agree regarding EVE/Square Dance, perfect fit for her

8 hours ago, FPF said:

I think she was second violin previously, with a more senior principal woman (for example, with Teresa Reichlen or Maria Kowroski) in the first violin role. So maybe she is making her debut as first violin.

I know I've seen Mearns dance it with Reichlen. It was like two blondes, one running hot, one running cold, in the best possible way. Which Concerto Barocco role does the ppd? First Violin or Second? I can't remember who did it then, but my best guess is Reichlen.

23 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I know I've seen Mearns dance it with Reichlen. It was like two blondes, one running hot, one running cold, in the best possible way. Which Concerto Barocco role does the ppd? First Violin or Second? I can't remember who did it then, but my best guess is Reichlen.

The first violin role dances the PDD. Mearns has danced the second violin role opposite both Reichlen and Kowroski as the first violin; and she'll now be debuting the first violin. There's a nice clip of Mearns and Reichlen here -- wish I could see the entire recording!

https://www.facebook.com/nycballet/videos/sara-mearns-and-teresa-reichlen-in-george-balanchines-concerto-barocco/471890874334222/

It's too bad Laracey isn't getting another shot at first violin -- she was so beautiful in her one and only performance of the role a few seasons back. But I have no doubt she'll be great as the second violin.

Edited by fondoffouettes

I was thinking about Cobweb's comments up thread about the relative wisdom of the promotions this winter. A few thoughts:

KJ Takahashi is a very specific sort of dancer -- very small, very good jumps and turns -- and he's already been cast in many of the Daniel Ulbricht-style roles we see in the company (Faun in 4 Seasons, etc). I'm not suggesting that he will ever be a principal, but he fills a specific niche very well, and I don't think it's a niche where partnering is paramount. He has gotten some roles outside that corridor (the Huxley role in Justin Peck's ballet, the Joaquin role in DCSH) but to me he's too short to really fill those shoes entirely -- Roman is more a 1:1 replacement for Joaquin and has the hot-dog City Ballet DNA from Joaquin and Damien Woetzel. Thus, men who really need the time to learn how to partner wonderfully (in particular Gilbert Bolden) might find that their promotions are slower to come. Davide is gorgeous but has not had many featured roles, something you can't say of KJ. 

I think the women's promotions were dictated by the fact that there were so few female principals, and even fewer healthy ones. To me, there is one dancer who stands quite far out from the rest, Mira Nadon. Her promotion was inevitable and didn't seem rushed when you saw her work this winter (particularly her Violin Concerto debut, frankly astonishing).  Isabella LaFreniere is a long-time favorite on this board; I loved her Firebird but otherwise have not yet had that "I can't take my eyes off her" moment. However, I am willing to defer to management's taste on this since they have huge experience. Emilie is just as Cobweb described her, a highly skilled dancer whose performances sometimes feel muted. I think without the many retirements her elevation may never have come. But -- though she may not be a legend like Maria, Sara or Wendy, there have been many principal dancers in my time watching NYCB that she's on par with -- Rebecca Krohn or Abi Stafford, to name two recent examples.  I feel for Ashley Laracey but she's 40.

The only real headscratcher for me is Olivia MacKinnon. To me her stage presence is unremarkable. 

The one promotion I totally agree with is Nadon. Despite being with the company for less than 4 years she is immensely talented and has made a very strong case for herself every time she takes the stage.

Although she can be wan at times I really love Gerrity most of the time so I'm very happy about her promotion.

LaFreniere is the one I'm not sure about. I have loved her some of the time and thought she was lacking at other times (I did not like her Aurora at all). She was scheduled for some big roles early (like Rubies tall girl and Firebird) but kept getting injured and missing her debuts. I think perhaps despite the fact that she has been with the company for awhile in view of these injuries she could benefit from a couple more seasons as a soloist - I don't think she has actually danced many principal roles.

Also agree that Bolden & Riccardo should have been promoted but I guess management felt differently. Their time will come..
On 4/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, vipa said:

I'm not surprised but a bit disappointed to see Pereira doing both shows of Square Dance that week. She's not cast much, and that ballet has been in her rep, so I expected her to be cast, but I hope there will be a second cast. Megan Fairchild did it on tour recently and I'd be thrilled to see Emma Von Enck get a shot at it. Speaking of Square Dance, it's a signature Ashley Bouder role. There has been no indication that she will be dancing this season. Whether she returns or not, I hope she gets some sort of send off, or acknowledgement when she does decide to leave the company. 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:31 AM, cobweb said:

I too am kind of disappointed to see Pereira in Square Dance. I'd love to see Megan Fairchild, but I'd also REALLY love to see Emma von Enck! Come on NYCB, for all of us who were disappointed not to see von Enck's Aurora, let us see her in Square Dance!

Well, the thing is that unless they are going to stop renewing her contract they have to give Pereira roles to dance. I would actually love to see Woodward or EVE in Square Dance but I feel that Pereira has improved considerably post pandemic so I am willing to give her a chance.

I am sure there will be another cast, its just a question of who they will give it to.