This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

6 hours ago, abatt said:

Agree with the above post.  La Source was beautifully performed by Gordon & Woodward.  Namouna was fantastic except that Gerrity was tentative and, in my opinion, had difficulty with the technical demands of this role.  Nadon was great.  She is a superstar.

Agree. I thought Nadon stole the show last night. I was annoyed to hear the audience's loud "aww :(" when they announced that Nadon would replace Fairchild. Maybe "gen pop" doesn't know how good Nadon is??? I like Fairchild a lot and was sorry not to see her, but Nadon is phenomenal and she blew it out of the water last night. Couldn't ask for a better surprise.

Gerrity was struggs to func in the solo originated by Mearns. That solo is HARD.

I loved Emma von Enck; she was precise, full of energy, and charming. Ulbricht really does seem ageless!

8 minutes ago, cobweb said:

What a thought! that would be fascinating, but my hope (probably more likely) was to see Woodward or E von Enck. 

They would also have been exciting! Oh well, perhaps another time.

Edited by mille-feuille
48 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

I was annoyed to hear the audience's loud "aww :(" when they announced that Nadon would replace Fairchild.

That's a pity. In some countries when a last-minute casting change is announced, the audience applauds, regardless of whether it's happy about the change or not.

Just came home from tonight's show. Standouts of the night were Ashley Laracey in Concerto Barocco and Emily Kikta in Kammermusik. Miriam Miller danced well but was a little bland in comparison. The two women behind me also exclaimed at the end of Kammermusik: "The dark haired one was amazing!"  I hope they promote her in the near future, I think she's ready for it.

20 hours ago, cobweb said:

Casting is updated for this week. Megan Fairchild is out. Replaced tomorrow night in Square Dance by Erica Pereira. Very disappointing, Pereira was reported to be blah in earlier performances, while Fairchild has been dazzling. Hope she's back very soon. 

There was a week's notice for some of the Square Dance performances. Too bad they didn't have at least one additional woman performing Square Dance. I wonder who the third cast would have been. 

Glad to hear reports of Emily KIkta. I'm looking forward to seeing her this season.

Edited by BalanchineFan

I was there last night and thoroughly enjoyed LaFreniere and Chan in Raymonda Variations. She dances so large, bold, full of joy. It's a real pleasure to see her in roles like this and Concerto Barocco. I think she does better in roles that call for large, fast movement such as Balanchine works, whereas she was miscast IMHO in Sleeping Beauty. That final leap into Chan's arms was huge -- the audience gasped. For the soloists, Baily Jones was charming in the second variation and Lauren Collett continues to look very polished and beautiful in the sixth. For me the real standout in the variations was Meaghan Dutton-O'Hara in the fifth. She has such lovely qualities, expansive and delicate. I would love to see her in more soloist roles. 

In Kammermusik, Miller looked more interesting than usual, and Kikta really sizzled -- intriguing, loose and so alive. 

Concerto Barocco looked a little more ragged than it did during the two performances I saw earlier in the run. Mr cobweb, a former musician, complained that the music was too slow and that the corps were trying to go faster than the conductor was playing. 

I just came back from the Thurs. night show.  Ok I'm a grump, but I really dislike "See the Music" stuck in there. I'd rather get home 15 minute earlier.  If they really must do it I'd rather they did it during intermission. 

Square Dance had Pereira in for Fairchild, dancing with Huxley. Erica Pereira had some good moments and no big mishaps, but she doesn't command the stage. and doesn't offer a cohesive performance. It looks like this step, then that step, then another step.  Huxley gave a beautiful, technically strong and musically sensitive performance. After intermission we had to sit through "See the Music" before Afternoon of a Faun with Unity Phelan and Joseph Gordon. Stirling Hyltin's performance in this is firmly fixed in my mind. Phelan was very different, perhaps softer and cooler, but I enjoyed it. I particularly like Joseph Gordon's self absorbed opening section.

Haieff Divertimento - nice performaces by Christina Clark and Alec Knight. I admit I find this ballet quite interesting with hints of a story and relationships, and lots of room to fill in the blanks.

Donizetti - I went with trepidation about Andrew Veyette. I have to give him all the credit in the world, he manufactured an enjoyable, credible performance. He is not what he once was (the man ABT imported to do Theme and Variations). He has almost no plie. Yet he puts it together to create a performance. Tiler Peck was a joy. She is like a jazz musician with her musicality. 

A fun night at the ballet, except for the music lecture which I'll always be a grump about.

Harrison Ball on why he's leaving City Ballet: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/arts/dance/harrison-ball-retiring-new-york-city-ballet.html

He talks about the debilitating foot injuries and addiction problems that have kept him off stage over the years. Tragic end to a beautiful career. I'll miss him a lot. At least I got to experience, simply by luck of casting, some of his career highlights such as Tchaikovsky pas de deux, Stars and Stripes, Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream, Mozartiana, and La Sonnambula. 

Last night's performance of Square Dance was depressing. Erica Pereira has no line, no shaping of steps, no phrasing, no energy, no presence. Everything is smudged and bland. Why oh why is she on this stage? There are so many other dancers who could do this role. Woodward, Von Enck, and Maxwell are obvious choices. Sara Adams could be good. Looking at the corps, I would love to see Baily Jones. For principals, how is it that Tiler Peck has never done this role? Isabella LaFreniere is taller than it's usually cast, but she would bring a thrilling joy and boldness to it, and I bet Emilie Gerrity would be great too. This is a disservice to the ballet, and I see up-thread that it has already turned off one loyal balletgoer (@Balletwannabe) to this joyful piece. It's also a missed opportunity to introduce the audience to a dancer they might not know and would love. I was planning to see both performances of La Source/Namouna this Saturday, since I am unfamiliar with La Source and want to immerse myself in all things Balanchine, but no way can I see the matinee with Pereira. 

Anthony Huxley, on the other hand, was fantastic. He is everything Pereira is not -- substantive, musical, and crystalline. 

After this desultory beginning, "See the Music" only slowed the evening down even more. Unity and Joseph Gordon were lovely in Afternoon of a Faun, and I enjoyed Christina Clark in Haieff Divertimento. But for the me, the evening only gained any energy when Tiler Peck and Andrew Veyette took the stage. Thank god for them!! Tiler was dazzling as usual and as @vipa noted above, Veyette pulled off a very commendable performance. 

37 minutes ago, matilda said:

Harrison Ball on why he's leaving City Ballet: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/arts/dance/harrison-ball-retiring-new-york-city-ballet.html

He talks about the debilitating foot injuries and addiction problems that have kept him off stage over the years. Tragic end to a beautiful career. I'll miss him a lot. At least I got to experience, simply by luck of casting, some of his career highlights such as Tchaikovsky pas de deux, Stars and Stripes, Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream, Mozartiana, and La Sonnambula. 

Fascinating article.  Wishing him the best and continued sobriety.  I recall seeing him on a profile on PBS of SAB while he was still a student.  He said something to the effect of all I want is to become a principal at NYCB.  It was a rocky road, but he got there.  And he made quite a remarkable impression despite his short tenure.  Some are there for decades and make no impression whatsoever.

I was also very moved by the fact that he turned to Peter Martins, and that Martins offered support instead of admonishment.   Fascinating how some in the company see Martins as the devil incarnate. 

40 minutes ago, matilda said:

I find it heartbreaking that he has to retire. So beautiful on stage. The stories in this article are hair raising! If he’s serious about writing that memoir I will read it!

9 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Last night's performance of Square Dance was depressing. Erica Pereira has no line, no shaping of steps, no phrasing, no energy, no presence. Everything is smudged and bland. Why oh why is she on this stage? There are so many other dancers who could do this role. Woodward, Von Enck, and Maxwell are obvious choices. Sara Adams could be good. Looking at the corps, I would love to see Baily Jones. For principals, how is it that Tiler Peck has never done this role? Isabella LaFreniere is taller than it's usually cast, but she would bring a thrilling joy and boldness to it, and I bet Emilie Gerrity would be great too. This is a disservice to the ballet, and I see up-thread that it has already turned off one loyal balletgoer (@Balletwannabe) to this joyful piece. It's also a missed opportunity to introduce the audience to a dancer they might not know and would love. I was planning to see both performances of La Source/Namouna this Saturday, since I am unfamiliar with La Source and want to immerse myself in all things Balanchine, but no way can I see the matinee with Pereira. 

Anthony Huxley, on the other hand, was fantastic. He is everything Pereira is not -- substantive, musical, and crystalline. 

After this desultory beginning, "See the Music" only slowed the evening down even more. Unity and Joseph Gordon were lovely in Afternoon of a Faun, and I enjoyed Christina Clark in Haieff Divertimento. But for the me, the evening only gained any energy when Tiler Peck and Andrew Veyette took the stage. Thank god for them!! Tiler was dazzling as usual and as @vipa noted above, Veyette pulled off a very commendable performance. 

I am seeing Pereira tonight and am kind of astonished that she has gotten all of Megan’s shows of Square Dance instead of a debut in Megan’s place, plus La Source. Was it last year I saw her dance Rubies with Roman, with Mira as tall girl? In that cast she absolutely disappeared. I’ve liked her best when dancing with Daniel Ulbricht in 3 Movements, or in Brahms-Schoenberg 3rd movement.

I do love Taylor Stanley in Square Dance though, I think Taylor was promoted directly after a performance of Square Dance. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Last night's performance of Square Dance was depressing. Erica Pereira has no line, no shaping of steps, no phrasing, no energy, no presence. Everything is smudged and bland. Why oh why is she on this stage? There are so many other dancers who could do this role. Woodward, Von Enck, and Maxwell are obvious choices.

Speaking of Maxwell. Last night my eye kept going to Maxwell in the corps of Square Dance while Pereira was doing the principal role. 

Pereira does better with frothy classical ballet in tulle or satin. She was good as the Walpurgisnacht soloist in winter, and I really like her Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty. I'm sure she'll be better in La Source than Square Dance. How much better is TBD. 

Edited by matilda
2 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think they don't have time to do quick training of someone new in a lead role, so Erica has been the beneficiary of Megan's absence. 

If only Von Enck or Maxwell had "pulled a Skylar Brandt" and been ready to step in!

8 minutes ago, matilda said:

Pereira does better with frothy classical ballet in tulle or satin. She was good as the Walpurgisnacht soloist in winter, and I really like her Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty. I'm sure she'll be better in La Source than Square Dance. How much better is TBD. 

I'm not sure.  The roles mentioned above are not leads.  They are more like secondary parts. 

2 hours ago, vipa said:

Speaking of Maxwell. Last night my eye kept going to Maxwell in the corps of Square Dance while Pereira was doing the principal role. 

I had the same experience when I saw this last Thursday.  I was wishing Maxwell was dancing the principal role!

2 hours ago, matilda said:

Pereira did a sweet turn (pun intended) as the Sugarplum Fairy last December in the Nut.  

Very secure and gracious.  Doesn't mean I don't agree with the criticisms.

Indiana Woodward is an obvious alternative but she has her hands full right now.

I'm sad to hear people don't enjoy See the Music. I loved Andrew Litton and his talk about Stravinsky. Most orchestras only play 4 Stravinsky works (Firebird, L'Histoire du Soldat, Petrushka, Sacre du Printemps ) while NYCB has, IIRC, 37 Stravinsky pieces in regular repertory and, has performed 61 ballets to his music in company history. People know the breadth of Stravinsky's work largely because Balanchine choreographed it! He said Symphony in Three Movements requires a lot of orchestra rehearsal and that orchestras can't spend that much time rehearsing a piece that is an "opener." We probably hear more Stravinsky than anywhere else.

I also remember Litton's See the Music on Midsummer. They played the musical themes for different characters.

Was See the Music focused on the Debussy or on another piece of music?

6 hours ago, abatt said:

I think they don't have time to do quick training of someone new in a lead role, so Erica has been the beneficiary of Megan's absence.  

They should rethink that, if time is the issue. Just my opinion. A few hours in the studio and try someone else. They had a week.

Also, Merrill Ashley is pretty tall. Height should not be an impediment to Isabelle LaFreniere dancing Square Dance at some point.

I agree with BalanchineFan about the behind the music, particularly when they do Stravinsky! 

At the ballet tonight and there is a large gaggle of SAB students who were just greeted by Suki Schorer. 

Just watched Square Dance and reflecting on this afternoon’s discussion, I think Erica Pereira was technically secure in this shot-out-of-a-canon ballet. My hesitation is that she doesn’t play, and there are so many opportunities to play within the speed. She’s just hanging in there; there’s no confidence to give a wink to the audience. This could be that she doesn’t have the elite musicality we expect in principal roles. I can’t believe Tiler doesn’t dance this.