This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

When I saw Brandenburg last night I mostly recalled that pas that Nadon and Sanz performed.  It was the highlight of the ballet.  Did Maria K. perform this?  Anyway, it was haunting, eloquent and dark.  The rest was enjoyable and spirited, led by Huxley and Woodward.

Loved Taylor Stanley in Agon.  Magnificent.  

Casting is out for next week, and Emma V E takes over Woodward's role in Brandenburg for two performances. 

22 minutes ago, abatt said:

Casting is out for next week, and Emma V E takes over Woodward's role in Brandenburg for two performances. 

Also, I notice that Miriam Miller is now out for the rest of this week in updated casting -- though she looked in good form Monday night! Hope its a speedy recovery. Chan is still out. 

31 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Also, I notice that Miriam Miller is now out for the rest of this week in updated casting -- though she looked in good form Monday night! Hope its a speedy recovery. Chan is still out. 

I hope Miller is okay and returns for Agon.  If not, NYCB please try out Nadon for the lead in Agon.  She was so electrifying in SVC in the Winter. 

So as of right now, they are having Phelan perform the lead in Agon and Brandenburg on the same program.  While not impossible if they change the program order, I'm hoping for a new lead in Agon (Nadon PLEASE!). 

Alternate wish - Mearns in Agon.  I see she has been replaced in all performances of Pictures ....  I wonder if this is because she is reducing her overall workload, or for some other reason.

Edited by abatt
3 hours ago, abatt said:

So as of right now, they are having Phelan perform the lead in Agon and Brandenburg on the same program.  While not impossible if they change the program order, I'm hoping for a new lead in Agon (Nadon PLEASE!). 

Alternate wish - Mearns in Agon.  I see she has been replaced in all performances of Pictures ....  I wonder if this is because she is reducing her overall workload, or for some other reason.

Agree Nadon in Agon, please!!

Someone was asking upthread. They have opened the third ring for certain performances. Today I got $42 tickets for 5/27 matinee ($38 + $4/ticket service charge in person at the box office.) There's a $12/ticket service charge if you order online or by phone. Still, it's a deal.

Go in person. Ask for the $38 tickets.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

There is no $8 per ticket online handling fee if you are a subscriber. 

Thank you. I found it a bit confusing online. You have to sign into your account and search for $38 tickets in each ring. When you click on the seat, it says there may be a $12 fee per ticket, but then when you actually check out (as a subscriber) the fee is only $4. 

So I could have saved myself a trip to the box office and gotten the tickets online for the same $42 each.

Edited by BalanchineFan
On 5/17/2023 at 12:39 PM, bellawood said:

Also, Tiler Peck seems to be out all week too, still listed for the final week in 1 performance --

This post on the recently formed Dogs of NYCB Instagram account suggests that she's injured:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsXRk4TJkGF/

I hope it's OK to link to this account, as I assume it must be dancer-run and therefore "official" news? It's so sweet to see the dancers with their dogs as they get PT! Highly recommend this account to any dog lovers out there.

9 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

This post on the recently formed Dogs of NYCB Instagram account suggests that she's injured:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsXRk4TJkGF/

I hope it's OK to link to this account, as I assume it must be dancer-run and therefore "official" news? It's so sweet to see the dancers with their dogs as they get PT! Highly recommend this account to any dog lovers out there.

The site is cute. Thanks for the link!

Just FYI, getting PT really doesn’t prove a dancer is out with an injury. It can be a way of keeping things on track so they don’t get worse and prevent you from performing, too. 

Tiler did post on IG that her spring season is over. Re: Copland Dances “it was a great way for me to end a wonderful season.”
Maybe that’s just casting and rep, maybe it’s something else. 

Edited by BalanchineFan
1 hour ago, BalanchineFan said:

Just FYI, getting PT really doesn’t prove a dancer is out with an injury. It can be a way of keeping things on track so they don’t get worse and prevent you from performing, too. 

Tiler did post on IG that her spring season is over. Re: Copland Dances “it was a great way for me to end a wonderful season.”
Maybe that’s just casting and rep, maybe it’s something else. 

In the audio for the video, Peck says, “I’m out” and the PT asks what happened — it’s definitely a conversation in the tone of injury 

Casting sheets for weeks 5 and 6 have been updated and Peck has been replaced in her remaining performances (by Maxwell in Copeland and Woodward in Pictures at an Exhibition). Chan and Kikta out too. 

Maxwell is a real MVP this season if you look at casting across the season. Great chances for her to prove herself as possible principal material. With only a couple short ladies at the principal rank right now (Fairchild and Woodward plus Peck, if you can even consider Peck "short" at 5'5... and I have my doubts about Bouder's future), there's lots of opportunity for Maxwell and Von Enck. 

7 hours ago, tutu said:

In the audio for the video, Peck says, “I’m out” and the PT asks what happened — it’s definitely a conversation in the tone of injury 

I stand corrected. 

And Maxwell has been killing it all season. I'm also impressed by Olivia MacKinnon. She seems much more herself onstage. More comfortable, more relaxed. Impressive technique without straining. And MT MacKinnon showing her talent as well. She was great in Times are Racing.