This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2022-2023 season

1 hour ago, abatt said:

Sara Mearns was spectacular on Friday night in Swan Lake.  Glad I had the opportunity to see it.  Phelan was not in the same league  in the role.

Another season completed.

For me the All Stars were Nadon, Fairchild, Gordon & Chan.

On to the 75th Anniversary season ....

Reports of the runs in Saratoga and the KC are appreciated. 

Mearns was absolutely thrilling in Swan Lake on Friday night.  I hadn't seen the one act SL in many years and it's not a favorite.  Mearns was unforgettable!  Angle performed better than I thought he would, and Megan LeCrone leading the Valse Bluette was excellent.  It was my first time seeing Pictures at an Exhibition and I loved it.  I look forward to seeing it again.  I thought the brief superimposition of the Ukrainian "flag" was beautiful.  It reminded me of a painting by Rothko and was more subtle and evocative than if it  had been a physical flag.

12 hours ago, abatt said:

Sara Mearns was spectacular on Friday night in Swan Lake.  Glad I had the opportunity to see it.  Phelan was not in the same league  in the role.

I agree 100% but I must say that Phelan was much better yesterday afternoon than she was last weekend. She seemed to have settled in and found her center. This was the first time I've seen O. MacKinnon in the Valse Bluette and she was very good. Gordan and LeCrone (in the pas de neuf) were good, too.

I was hoping I'd like Pictures more each time I saw it but unfortunately it has been the opposite. I don't hate it, but I would never seek it out.

Updated casting has been posted at the KC site.  https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/explore-by-genre/ballet/2022-2023/new-york-city-ballet/  Sorry to see that Huxley is out for all performances.  I was really looking forward to seeing him.  Gordon now has back-to-back Square Dance and Faun!  And Naomi Corti is in for Solo.  That’s a great opportunity for her.

Edited by KikiRVA
On 6/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, KikiRVA said:

Updated casting has been posted at the KC site.  https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/explore-by-genre/ballet/2022-2023/new-york-city-ballet/  Sorry to see that Huxley is out for all performances.  I was really looking forward to seeing him.  Gordon now has back-to-back Square Dance and Faun!  And Naomi Corti is in for Solo.  That’s a great opportunity for her.

Thanks for the update

Sorry to hear about Huxley but I love Gordon is just about anything, so I'm actually excited to see him twice in one evening!

I've never seen Naomi Corti in a featured role so very much looking forward to that - always great when corps dancers get prime opportunities. Peck created Solo on Huxley if I remember correctly - who else has performed it?

Sara Mearns has also danced Solo. I don't love everything Peck has choreographed, but he's generally done a great job nurturing talent in the lower ranks throughout his choreography career. 

Hope Huxley is ok. He had a ridiculously busy spring season with difficult ballets like Donizetti, Raymonda, La Source, Square Dance, Brandenberg all within a few weeks. 

Mearns will be in Canada dancing R&J with the Natl Ballet of Canada during the KC engagement.  That's why she is not listed for the KC.   In one sense, her absence has created opportunities for new people to shine.  It was Mearns' withdrawal that led to Nadon getting SVC in the Winter, and Nadon was great.  Another Nadon opportunity is created by Mearns' absence from the Kennedy Center.   Hoping for reports on her debut in Concerto B.

There's a discount ticket offer at the Kennedy Center for all Orchestra seats at $25 for all evening performances.

To purchase your tickets online, visit the event NYC Ballet Discount Offer enter "518764" in the Have A Promo Code? Section to apply your discount. (Please note, this discount is applicable in ALL ORCHESTRA SEATING AT $25).  

• To purchase by phone, please call Instant Charge at 202-467-4600 and mention offer number "518764.” Instant Charge is open every day from 10am-6pm. 
  • You may also purchase in person at our Box Office, located on site at The Kennedy Center. The Hall of States Box Office is open Monday – Saturday, 10am – 9pm and Sunday,12pm – 9pm

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information: https://www.kennedy-center.org/contact/ 

TO RECEIVE YOUR DISCOUNT BY PHONE OR IN PERSON AT THE BOX OFFICE, MENTION OFFER NUMBER “518764”
(202) 467-4600 | Toll-free (800) 444-1324

4 hours ago, California said:

Sad to see all the discounting at the Kennedy Center!

Joseph Gordon made his debut in Square Dance Tuesday, after four days learning the role (as per his social media). Did anybody see it?

I did and I thought he was wonderful (maybe I'm biased, he is one of my personal favorites). Both he and Megan Fairchild were technically excellent and had great stage presence and musicality.  He returned for Afternoon of a Faun, which I think is rightfully becoming one of his signatures.

The whole program last night was excellent. Tiler Peck is back from injury and she and Mejia delivered the fireworks in Donizetti. The audience was lapping it up, so it's disappointing to see so many discounts. Concerto Barocco is classic Balanchine at his best, and I thought both Nadon and LaFreniere were very well cast - they match in height and attack.

I'm going back tonight for the other program.

5 hours ago, California said:

Joseph Gordon made his debut in Square Dance Tuesday, after four days learning the role (as per his social media). Did anybody see it?

There is something so special about Joseph Gordon's carriage, that I would buy a ticket simply to see him stand in fifth position for an entire ballet.

I was there for both the dress rehearsal and performance at the Kennedy Center yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed all the performances. Megan Fairchild and Joe Gordon were a delight in Square Dance — I saw this ballet this past spring with Erica Pereira and thought it was just alright, but Megan really made me smile with her quick and precise footwork, musicality, and playfulness that she brings. The corps formations in Square Dance were a little messy at times, but timing was pretty good. I initially didn’t really enjoy the serene male solo on first watch, but Joe Gordon was BEAUTIFUL in it and changed my mind. Like Angelica mentioned above, his carriage is lovely and it was again very evident in Afternoon of a Faun. I brought a first-time ballet-goer with me last night and that was her favorite of the night! 

Concerto Barocco was wonderful. Mira Nadon has the most exquisite lines, which she really showed off during the pas de deux. I was also really struck by the fluidity of her upper body. I hope she will have her New York debut in this role this fall, I would love to see her dance it again. Isabella LaFreniere was also terrific and danced big with attack. After seeing Nadon and LaFreniere dance together in Rondo and now Barocco, I think they complement each other really well!

Glad to see Tiler Peck back from her injury. She’s always great in this role (Donizetti Variations). Roman brought the house down with his usual bravura. A high note to end the night of really solid performances! 

1 hour ago, angelica said:

There is something so special about Joseph Gordon's carriage, that I would buy a ticket simply to see him stand in fifth position for an entire ballet.

What a lovely thought, Angelica. I have the same feeling about Ashley Laracey. Her carriage is so beautiful that watching her walk on for her solo in Divertimento No 15, on demi-pointe and with her ultra refined entire upper body and arms, was a real highlight for me. 

I was at the Kennedy Center for the second program last night - it seemed well attended, so hopefully some people took advantage of the discounts!

I found the program to be a mixed bag overall, but I don't get to see NYCB as often as I used to, so I was still glad to get a chance to see new dancers and new works.

I had somehow never seen Pictures at an Exhibition - Susan Walters had come with the company as the soloist for this piece (for the other works it's the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra that accompanies the company), so this felt very much like being at the State Theater! I liked the piece a lot, and I finally got a chance to see Chun Wei Chan dance. Beautiful quality of movement, I can't wait to see more of him. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of Mira Nadon is a non-Balanchine piece also, she is stunning.

Standard Deviation, the new Pires, was fine - I didn't enjoy the music, but I liked some of the choreography, and the simple costumes worked well.

Solo was a little uninspired I thought, although Naomi Corti danced beautifully - Barber's adagio is overplayed, so a different piece of music might have worked better

Love Letter on Shuffle had some of the most hideous costumes I've ever seen, and I found them distracting. but there were some parts that I really liked, especially whenever Taylor Stanley was on stage, the choreography really suited him. I found some parts a bit trite and repetitive - a gargouillade or a saut de chat set to pop music? how cute and innovative - repeated six times, less so. But I liked the ending.

Now to wait until next year!

I do not find, in general, that the current team is particularly skilled at putting programs together. For awhile, this was perhaps excusable due to COVID/post-COVID difficulties; but now it's quite clear they (IMO) just don't have a great sense for it.

7 hours ago, lacdescygnes said:

I was at the Kennedy Center for the second program last night - it seemed well attended, so hopefully some people took advantage of the discounts!

I found the program to be a mixed bag overall, but I don't get to see NYCB as often as I used to, so I was still glad to get a chance to see new dancers and new works.

I had somehow never seen Pictures at an Exhibition - Susan Walters had come with the company as the soloist for this piece (for the other works it's the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra that accompanies the company), so this felt very much like being at the State Theater! I liked the piece a lot, and I finally got a chance to see Chun Wei Chan dance. Beautiful quality of movement, I can't wait to see more of him. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of Mira Nadon is a non-Balanchine piece also, she is stunning.

Standard Deviation, the new Pires, was fine - I didn't enjoy the music, but I liked some of the choreography, and the simple costumes worked well.

Solo was a little uninspired I thought, although Naomi Corti danced beautifully - Barber's adagio is overplayed, so a different piece of music might have worked better

Love Letter on Shuffle had some of the most hideous costumes I've ever seen, and I found them distracting. but there were some parts that I really liked, especially whenever Taylor Stanley was on stage, the choreography really suited him. I found some parts a bit trite and repetitive - a gargouillade or a saut de chat set to pop music? how cute and innovative - repeated six times, less so. But I liked the ending.

Now to wait until next year!

The rear of the orchestra was pretty empty. I had a row to myself.

I have mixed feelings about Pictures at an Exhibition. I didn't always feel like the mood of the choreography matched the mood of the music (I think this would have been more apparent if he had used an orchestrated version).

I thought that Naomi Corti deserved a standing ovation.

My initial reaction to the music used for Love Letter on Shuffle was pretty negative, which made it difficult for me to have a lot of interest in the piece. The costumes didn't help.

6 hours ago, nanushka said:

I do not find, in general, that the current team is particularly skilled at putting programs together. For awhile, this was perhaps excusable due to COVID/post-COVID difficulties; but now it's quite clear they (IMO) just don't have a great sense for it.

Over and over, when I study the different programs on offer, I find myself sort of squinting at them in puzzlement.  (Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but as much as I'm looking forward to the Fall, I'm afraid I even squinted over some of the choices and configurations for the all Balanchine programing.)

At first when I noticed the issue, I thought the company must be deliberately trying something 'different'--as if to say that 'just because Ballet X was always an opener 30 years ago, doesn't mean it has to be an opener today.'  And, in principle, they should be trying different things. Fresh juxtapositions can lead to  revelations or at least welcome new perspectives. But I haven't gotten the impression from reading professional reviews or comments by long-time fans here that new perspectives are being generated. Just concern about how programs are put together as programs.  Perhaps the company could benefit from a new Robert Gottlieb type figure?

Edited by Drew

I miss the older style, when there were usually no set programs, and there were more interesting and unexpected combinations.  It seemed then that there was more unexpected casting too, but now  if ballerina X does a ballet there is little chance she will also dance in another one if it is consistently programed with the one she is assigned.  I guess doing things in chunks makes rehearsals easier to schedule but I agree with Drew that sometimes the programs are a bit monotonous.  I think it really started with the Balanchine in black and white phase--I seem to remember a couple of weeks of that about 10 years ago, when evenutally the ballets just seemed like a blur.  Contrast is important!

I've spent so much time "studying" the programs just over the last two years, and not once have I found a completely satisfying combo for a 4 performance subscription.  I dislike the themed approach, and although I love the black and white Balanchines, I agree with Cargill that contrast is important.  Many of the fall 2023 choices are particularly strange.

One puzzling program was the program with Fancy Free/Agon/Brandenburg.

Fancy Free was Jerome Robbins' first ballet, Brandenburg his last, so you'd think they could program something by Robbins in the middle years to see the growth. Agon being dropped in the middle was very puzzling.

10 minutes ago, canbelto said:

One puzzling program was the program with Fancy Free/Agon/Brandenburg.

Fancy Free was Jerome Robbins' first ballet, Brandenburg his last, so you'd think they could program something by Robbins in the middle years to see the growth. Agon being dropped in the middle was very puzzling.

Yes!  I also think nothing should follow Agon.

I agree there have been some questionable programming decisions lately but there are also some winning upcoming programs like:

Apollo / La Sonnambula / Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no. 2

Concerto Barroco / Prodigal Son / Symphony in C

Serenade / Orpheus / Theme and Variations

Four T's / Liebeslieder 

Opus 19 the Dreamer / Ratmansky premiere / Symphony in 3 Movements

Dances at a Gathering / Brahms Schoenberg Quartet

It was not difficult at all for me to select a self-curated subscription package. They've done a better job this season of not repeating the same ballets on different programs throughout the year.

Edited by matilda