This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

56 minutes ago, Becki Lee said:

All of Misty’s March performances are pulled. 

Skylar is taking her Giselle in Carolina.

If Misty can't do Deuce Coupe, which is in character shoes,  she must have a  significant problem.  She is still listed for R^ in late March, but that will likely change in the near future. 

Edited by abatt
21 hours ago, Leah said:

Well, if Copeland pulls out at the last minute (as is likely) and Lane is the only real alternative I doubt Cornejo would refuse point blank to dance with her. But if Brandt’s available then Lane is definitely out.

21 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I think because some folks thought that Lane understudying was still a possibility, even a slight one, given that no other principal or soloist, besides Lane, was of the right size to dance with Cornejo who had also performed, or even rehearsed, SL before. Boylston is as well, and she’s doing Bayadere with him, but her subbing would depend on how many days there are between Cornejo’s show and her own regularly scheduled one for her to recover.

Now that Brandt is learning SL on her own, it may be that her subbing is the more likely scenario giving Lane even fewer performance opportunities than the measly few she currently has.

YES both of these observations are exactly what I meant. Thank you for clearing that up.

(Kinda bums me out even more. I'd thought there was still the possibility of Lane's SL, but this seems quite unlikely now.) 

50 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

(Kinda bums me out even more. I'd thought there was still the possibility of Lane's SL, but this seems quite unlikely now.) 

If the main reason Lane doesn't cover for Copeland is that she no longer dances with Cornejo (which I know we don't know — why I say "if"), then I don't think it's less likely now than before. There are other potential SL partners for her.

That said, I already thought it might be rather unlikely, even if she were still dancing with Cornejo.

ETA:  Actually, now that I think about it, if she's no longer dancing with Cornejo that does probably make it less likely. When Copeland (likely soon) retires O/O, Cornejo will need a partner, and they might have turned to Lane. You're prob right, Lena C. And yeah, bums me out too.

Edited by nanushka
19 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

Skylar just posted another video of her on instagram practicing Odette and she has now added Odette to the stories...she hashtagged #day3 so presumably she's been heavily practicing SL. She likely is the understudy for Copeland then. 

Looks like Brandt is doing all she can to have some control over her career. I don't mean this as a derogatory statement. It's a competitive business and casting is a zero sum game. Dancers try to be noticed in classes, rehearsals and in the roles they are given. Sometimes guesting helps. It boils down to - I hope he (it's almost always a he) notices me. Brandt is going beyond, and doing it blatantly. Good for her. I say that because he has the goods to back it up. I hope this kind of thing doesn't become a trend - I guess.

1 hour ago, vipa said:

Looks like Brandt is doing all she can to have some control over her career. I don't mean this as a derogatory statement. It's a competitive business and casting is a zero sum game. Dancers try to be noticed in classes, rehearsals and in the roles they are given. Sometimes guesting helps. It boils down to - I hope he (it's almost always a he) notices me. Brandt is going beyond, and doing it blatantly. Good for her. I say that because he has the goods to back it up. I hope this kind of thing doesn't become a trend - I guess.

Unfortunately...I think it's a result of the social media world we live in now. As the ballerinas coming up the ranks get younger the more this will happen. Popularity I feel has always played a role in who's cast but now with social media, strategic posting will become the norm. I don't have a problem with it as long as the talent backs the posting. 

Vipa - in regards to your "it's almost always a he" comment, there's Aurelie Dupont, Karen Kain, Tamara Rojo, Victoria Morgan, Lourdes Lopez, Colleen Neary, Julie Kent, Patricia Barker, Virginia Johnson, Emily Molnar, Dorothy Pugh, Carine Binda.....

5 minutes ago, Rock said:

Vipa - in regards to your "it's almost always a he" comment, there's Aurelie Dupont, Karen Kain, Tamara Rojo, Victoria Morgan, Lourdes Lopez, Colleen Neary, Julie Kent, Patricia Barker, Virginia Johnson, Emily Molnar, Dorothy Pugh, Carine Binda.....

Who are exceptions that prove the rule.

Catherine Hurlin has very little social media presence and I just watched her dance the lead in the world premiere of Of Love and Rage, so the old fashioned route is still working for some. I hope the number of Instagram followers doesn’t influence casting. Dancers are busy enough without having to spend their free time worrying about a perfectly curated social media presence. 

Hurlin does have an extensive presence in traditional dance media: she's had multiple covers in Pointe Magazine (one solo, one with Aran Bell) and was recently featured in a NY Times piece.  Her mother was also a Paul Taylor dancer and runs Dancers Responding to AIDS.  Not that that should detract from how outstanding a dancer she is!  But she is connected.

8 hours ago, Helene said:

Who are exceptions that prove the rule.

Do we have any figures to support any of the points in this debate? I haven't got any, but IMHO it's not a minor detail that some of these women are AD of relevant ballet companies in the world, like Paris Opera Ballet, English National Ballet and NYCBallet (even though Wendy Whelan is Associate AD).

3 hours ago, Emma said:

Hurlin does have an extensive presence in traditional dance media . . .

That spotlight has been finding Hurlin at least since she originated the role of young Clara in the Ratmansky Nutcracker.  Her picture and name were in every piece of ABT's publicity material for the production and the resulting press coverage.  From Alastair Macaulay's review in the "paper of record."

Yet amid several superb interpretations on Thursday, none surpassed those of the two central children. Young Catherine Hurlin’s partly angry, partly vulnerable, never picture-perfect Clara exemplifies the individuality of Mr. Ratmansky’s approach.

Catherine Hurlin and Tyler Maloney as Clara and her Nutcracker as children.

Catherine Hurlin and Tyler Maloney as Clara and her Nutcracker as children.

8 hours ago, Rock said:

I think that belittles those women. They're not exceptions to any rule. 

I don’t follow the logic here. Why would it be belittling to point out that they’re among the relative few who have overcome systemic gender bias (which is what I understood @Helene to be doing)?

Edited by nanushka
1 hour ago, eduardo said:

Do we have any figures to support any of the points in this debate?

I don't have it handy, and it would have to be updated, but several years ago I made a chart of international ballet companies, including troupes from eastern Europe, Russia and east Asia. In particular I was interested in company size and ADs. There were very few women among them. And it is striking that many companies founded by women, such as the Royal Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, ABT, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Australian Ballet, are now headed by men.

6 hours ago, Emma said:

Hurlin does have an extensive presence in traditional dance media: she's had multiple covers in Pointe Magazine (one solo, one with Aran Bell) and was recently featured in a NY Times piece.  Her mother was also a Paul Taylor dancer and runs Dancers Responding to AIDS.  Not that that should detract from how outstanding a dancer she is!  But she is connected.

Like so many industries being well connected matters and in this case I am sure it didn't hurt. I did read that NY Times article when it came out and it sounded like her mother was the push behind ABT since she did mention her initial interest in Broadway vs ballet, and had disagreements with her mother but was steered towards ABT.  True she has talent but based on that comment I do wonder about the publicity push possibly being bought due to connections. Between connections and financial assistance as Brandt does along with social media, I do feel sad for those without connection or financial factors and just have pure talent to get ahead of the game, many end up waiting till they're in their late 20s/30s to get lead roles or a promotion at ABT. Like in the case of Lane as well even as a principal 😟

This is very poor practice on ABT's part to cast Copeland in these roles knowing that she will most likely not be able to dance them. Especially the two Swan Lakes at the Met. Selling tickets under false pretenses and disappointing many young fans. No matter how good the understudy is, they want to see Misty. And to not give the deserving dancers their own casting, instead of being thrown on as a sub. 

2 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I don't have it handy, and it would have to be updated, but several years ago I made a chart of international ballet companies, including troupes from eastern Europe, Russia and east Asia. In particular I was interested in company size and ADs. There were very few women among them. And it is striking that many companies founded by women, such as the Royal Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, ABT, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Australian Ballet, are now headed by men.

Thank you volcanohunter. What you say is what I was interested in, since I do think that the debate about rules and exceptions needs some data to support any conclusion.

Although I realize South America is very often below the radar, in this part of the world three out of four of the most prominent ballet companies feature female AD: Cecilia Kerche and Ana Botafogo in Theatro Municipal (Rio de Janeiro), Marcia Haydee in Teatro Municipal (Santiago de Chile) and Paloma Herrera in Buenos Aires (Teatro Colón). The fourth company I have in mind is Sodre Ballet in Uruguay, where after doing a great job rebuilding the company, Julio Bocca passed the baton to Igor Yebra.

I was hoping to make it to NY this year (I'm from LA) to watch Jane Eyre and Swan Lake. I just saw Of Love and Rage last weekend with Shevchenko/Forster and Seo/Bell and not performances were outstanding. ABT has canceled most of their tours because of the coronavirus. Does anyone think there's a chance the spring season might be canceled as well? I was planning on being tickets on the 22nd but now I don't know if I should wait or not. Any thoughts??