This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

Regarding Simkin, since he is only doing ONE performance at the Met (and why?), I wonder if this will be his last season with the company. Perhaps he has other commitments in Berlin over the summer and prefers those to ABT. Or, it’s not his decision. But, one show isn’t a good sign either way.

27 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

What happened between Lane and Cornejo that they no longer partner together? 

It is not public knowledge.

It is clear, however, that some sort of falling out happened, based on their social media (lack of ) interactions, in addition to the not being cast together, even for events like his 20th anniversary celebration where he'd have had a major say in who his partners were.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

I see no reason to doubt her. The statement seems pretty sincere, and it's not as if Hope Hicks is a household name.

True. Today I asked 6 people (ages 25-40), educated people, if they knew who Hicks was. Only one knew and that's because he's one of the greatest critics of the guy in the white house. The rest had no clue or failed miserably at guessing. Oh and one of the people who had no clue is a republican, so there's that.

2 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

True. Today I asked 6 people (ages 25-40), educated people, if they knew who Hicks was. Only one knew and that's because he's one of the greatest critics of the guy in the white house. The rest had no clue or failed miserably at guessing. Oh and one of the people who had no clue is a republican, so there's that.

How depressing (but not unsurprising).

11 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

If there was no intentionality behind specifically choosing a Hope Hicks quote, it makes me wonder if her comments about money did not have any intended target or subtext. She tends to philosophize in her Instagram posts quite a bit..

Her statement could also have been multi-determined. After all, not only did Brandt have the NYT article and get a double debut, but Copeland pulled out of a performance, and we know Lane has some experience with that. It could've been a convergence of factors, leading to an outburst of related feelings.

The fact that none of her colleagues has commented on the post makes me think it was at least widely interpreted as having some reference (even if only oblique) to company members. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by nanushka
2 hours ago, nanushka said:

I see no reason to doubt her. The statement seems pretty sincere, and it's not as if Hope Hicks is a household name.

The quotation is easily found online. For instance, I just googled "hard work quotes," and this was one of the top hits, with Hicks' quotation at the top right:

https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/hard-work-quotes

I didn't know who Hope Hicks was either. I had to look it up. Sorry for duplicate quote. I don't know how to delete it.

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

I

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Replacing Abrera is bad enough, but they couldn’t have given that role to someone else, who has less to do but is deserving of a new opportunity? Katherine Williams would be beautiful.

Yes!

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Regarding Simkin, since he is only doing ONE performance at the Met (and why?), I wonder if this will be his last season with the company. Perhaps he has other commitments in Berlin over the summer and prefers those to ABT. Or, it’s not his decision. But, one show isn’t a good sign either way.

and yes.  so sad

I think Simkin has a pretty good fan base in New York,  more so than dancers like Whiteside or Stearns. So it is surprising to me that Simkin is getting only one performance during an 8 week season.  If they just want to have a guest artist relationship with him, similar to Bolle's arrangement, that's fine.  But I'm assuming that  we may not see Simkin again with ABT after this Spring season.

Edited by abatt

In an effort to understand the strong feelings represented here regarding the treatment of Lane – namely humiliated by the company, injustice, possibly about to be let go** etc. - out of curiosity, I ran a few numbers.

The numbers are limited to just the ABT 2020 Spring Season, per the thread, and I've only included lead roles in full length ballets.  (I've done roles, not no. of shows...) Lastly, I didn't count the secondary billed roles in Love & Rage since, as discussed here, I don't know how much dancing they entail - if anyone sees the March shows of L&R - I'd love to hear about it!

Abrera             2  (J, G)                                                           Ahn                 1  (Si)

Bolyston         6  (N, J, G, A, Je, O/O)                                    Bell                  6  (So, R, C, A, D, Si)

Copeland        4  (J, G, Je, O/O)                                             Brandt             1  (A)

Cornejo           4  (So, R, A, Si)                                               Fang                0

Hallberg          2  (R, A)                                                          Foster              6!  (R, C, A, D, R, Si)

Lane                3  (J, G, A)                                                       Gorak              1  (D)

Murphy           3/5  (G, J, G, M, O/O)                                    Hammoudi     0

Seo                  6  (N, J, C, G, A, O/O)                                     Hoven             0 

Shevchenko    4/5  (G, C, G, M, O/O)                                  Hurlin              2/4  (G, C, M, A)

Simkin             1  (A)                                                               Paris                0

Stearns            5  (So, R, A, R, Si)                                          Royal               3  (R, C, A)

Teuscher         4/5  (N, J, M, Je, O/O)                                   Scott                0

Whiteside       5  (R, A, D, R, Si)                                            Trenary           3  (G, J, A)

Williams          0/1 (M)

Zhurbin           0

So... possibly we were right about the favoritism of Bolyston & Seo!   I can understand how this would be disappointing if Lane is your favorite ABT dancer.  On the other hand, Copeland's only at 4 and however folks feel about her dancing, no denying she sells tickets.  Are the soloists with more roles Hurlin at 4?  Trenary with the same no. at 3?  I don't think I see sufficient evidence that a single dancer stands out as being so badly mistreated or left behind that it explains any shade or means she's being pushed out of the company?!  Perhaps in a couple years I'll find I am wrong!

Personally I'm most disappointed by the lack of Simkin & Hallberg and most shocked by Foster.  And out of the ladies, I'd feel the most hard-done-by if I were Abrera - such a long time with the company, 42 - last year/last chance, where's the gratitude for the decades of devotion?, but lovely Abrera seems only ever to be full of gratitude.  I know people feel certain dancers can or can't dance certain roles (myself included), but isn't this subjective?

Slightly unrelated - there are a handful of dancers whose Insta I try to avoid.  (I'll do a quick scan for rehearsal vids! but not read the content.)  I do this selfishly as I don't want to allow their world views to get in the way of my enjoyment of their dancing - I'd only be hurting myself.

edit * - hope this doesn't violate rules, not trying to report gossip, just restate what I've read here.

Edited by Emily12
edit * as above
3 hours ago, canbelto said:
Sarah clarifies that she isn't a Trump supporter and didn't know who Hope Hicks was?

Google is your friend. It takes a minute or two to cut and paste a name into the search bar to make sure you're not posting a quote by someone odious, or who might at the very least be a lightning rod in your community. I learned this the hard way.

4 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Google is your friend. It takes a minute or two to cut and paste a name into the search bar to make sure you're not posting a quote by someone odious, or who might at the very least be a lightning rod in your community. I learned this the hard way.

Exactly--if you are citing someone's viewpoint in a way that indicates you agree with them, it behooves you to know what sort of person they are.

26 minutes ago, Emily12 said:

In an effort to understand the strong feelings represented here regarding the treatment of Lane – namely humiliated by the company, injustice, possibly about to be let go** etc. - out of curiosity, I ran a few numbers.

The numbers are limited to just the ABT 2020 Spring Season, per the thread, and I've only included lead roles in full length ballets.  (I've done roles, not no. of shows...) Lastly, I didn't count the secondary billed roles in Love & Rage since, as discussed here, I don't know how much dancing they entail - if anyone sees the March shows of L&R - I'd love to hear about it!

Abrera             2  (J, G)                                                           Ahn                 1  (Si)

Bolyston         6  (N, J, G, A, Je, O/O)                                    Bell                  6  (So, R, C, A, D, Si)

Copeland        4  (J, G, Je, O/O)                                             Brandt             1  (A)

Cornejo           4  (So, R, A, Si)                                               Fang                0

Hallberg          2  (R, A)                                                          Foster              6!  (R, C, A, D, R, Si)

Lane                3  (J, G, A)                                                       Gorak              1  (D)

Murphy           3/5  (G, J, G, M, O/O)                                    Hammoudi     0

Seo                  6  (N, J, C, G, A, O/O)                                     Hoven             0 

Shevchenko    4/5  (G, C, G, M, O/O)                                  Hurlin              2/4  (G, C, M, A)

Simkin             1  (A)                                                               Paris                0

Stearns            5  (So, R, A, R, Si)                                          Royal               3  (R, C, A)

Teuscher         4/5  (N, J, M, Je, O/O)                                   Scott                0

Whiteside       5  (R, A, D, R, Si)                                            Trenary           3  (G, J, A)

Williams          0/1 (M)

Zhurbin           0

So... possibly we were right about the favoritism of Bolyston & Seo!   I can understand how this would be disappointing if Lane is your favorite ABT dancer.  On the other hand, Copeland's only at 4 and however folks feel about her dancing, no denying she sells tickets.  Are the soloists with more roles Hurlin at 4?  Trenary with the same no. at 3?  I don't think I see sufficient evidence that a single dancer stands out as being so badly mistreated or left behind that it explains any shade or means she's being pushed out of the company?!  Perhaps in a couple years I'll find I am wrong!

Personally I'm most disappointed by the lack of Simkin & Hallberg and most shocked by Foster.  And out of the ladies, I'd feel the most hard-done-by if I were Abrera - such a long time with the company, 42 - last year/last chance, where's the gratitude for the decades of devotion?, but lovely Abrera seems only ever to be full of gratitude.  I know people feel certain dancers can or can't dance certain roles (myself included), but isn't this subjective?

Slightly unrelated - there are a handful of dancers whose Insta I try to avoid.  (I'll do a quick scan for rehearsal vids! but not read the content.)  I do this selfishly as I don't want to allow their world views to get in the way of my enjoyment of their dancing - I'd only be hurting myself.

edit * - hope this doesn't violate rules, not trying to report gossip, just restate what I've read here.

I think the main issue regarding Lane is the number of shows she's getting. Sure, Copeland only has one more lead role than Lane, but she has two Juliet's, two Jane Eyre's and two Swan Lake's. Lane only has a single show of each lead role. Not counting the fact that she currently has no other secondary shows at all, not even the rose in the seasons which she originated. The number of shows is important because it indicates the viability, the amount of dancing. Lane has the least amount of dancing, even less than some soloists. Her lack of Swan Lake is the final nail in the coffin. Last year proves that apparently Lane is good enough to understudy but not to actually get her own show. I think this is sufficient evidence to show that she is being phased out of the company. It's not as if she's coming back from injury or something like maternity leave. Her Giselle last week proved she's at the top of her game. So why only be cast for three shows out of the entire season, with no other secondary roles? 

Good points, well made.  It just occurred to me that Kolpakova always seems a strong supporter and advocate of Lane.  You'd think, or hope, that she'd have some sway - everyone loves her and she's undeniably a master!  Watching her coaching sessions is one of my favorite things!

Separately - I was also thinking, as others have mentioned earlier, that it would be wonderful if ABT brought on Irina & Max for some in-house coaching.  Kolpakova can't coach everyone, but I'm sure you're right it's about money and they may want to keep their freedom/flexibility.  The company would sooo benefit from more quality coaches - I wish they would've taken a few mil from that ridiculous Harlequinade and put that money to better use!

Edited by Emily12

Irina Kolpakova has stated that her job is to support all the dancers of ABT, not make casting decisions. She says she is able to maintain good relationships with everyone bc she does not involve herself in casting, but merely coaching and support. She said in an interview that when dancers cry, her job is to get them to stop crying. 

3 hours ago, canbelto said:

Irina Kolpakova has stated that her job is to support all the dancers of ABT, not make casting decisions. She says she is able to maintain good relationships with everyone bc she does not involve herself in casting, but merely coaching and support. She said in an interview that when dancers cry, her job is to get them to stop crying. 

I know I’m neither the first nor the last to express this sentiment, but Kolpakova is truly a treasure.

Other ballet blogs are not official news and cannot be posted here.

If anyone needs a reminder of the posting rules, please look for a description of "Official News" here:

I've removed and edited multiple posts on this thread because of rules violations.  Stop it.

I have a bad feeling that this spring could be Lane's last at ABT. The AD could very likely just not renew Lane's contract and effectively terminate her employment. Of course, I hope I'm wrong but her lack of casting/shows speaks volumes. Left a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

I hope this isn't becoming overly speculative - but I've worried for the past couple years (and especially since that NYT article came out about Brandt) that both Brant and Lane will eventually end up leaving ABT.  

SF Ballet is probably closest to ABT in size and rep, and Lane has guested at SF Ballet once a few years back.  However, SFB already has a pretty huge roster of female principals (10 I believe), and at least a few soloist women who I'd expect would get promotions in the next couple years.  

I'm glad ABT is moving away from over-reliance on guest artists, but I still feel so badly that there's essentially a generation of dancers stuck with limited experience but tons of untapped potential.

The guest artist shows will be the only sell outs of the season, except for the Swan Lakes, which usually sell very well regardless of who is cast.   ABT's own dancers  generally are not remotely in the same league as Osipova, Smirnova and  Kim.  The only ABT dancers who I would classify as truly spectacular are Herman Cornejo and Daniil Simikin. 

Edited by abatt
6 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

I hope this isn't becoming overly speculative - but I've worried for the past couple years (and especially since that NYT article came out about Brandt) that both Brant and Lane will eventually end up leaving ABT.  

SF Ballet is probably closest to ABT in size and rep, and Lane has guested at SF Ballet once a few years back.  However, SFB already has a pretty huge roster of female principals (10 I believe), and at least a few soloist women who I'd expect would get promotions in the next couple years.  

Daniil has invited Kochetkova as a guest with Berlin State Opera and I wonder if he has the stature there to bring Lane over. Of course, her husband seems unlikely to be brought along, too. The free-lance approach seems brutal -- look at how much globe-hopping people like Kochetkova and Gomes are doing. Must be exhausting and also nerve-wracking to wonder if you've got enough gigs lined up. 

Brandt seems more likely to stick it out with ABT, given that her parents are there in the NYC area.