This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

I think Lane would be welcomed at PA Ballet if she wanted to go there.  But she is now quite senior at ABT, and I'm sure her salary and benefits at ABT would far exceed anything that she could earn elsewhere.  Moreover, assuming that Luis Ribagorda's time before leaving was added in to calculate his tenure when he returned, he is also getting a senior corps salary. 

I recall Lane once saying in an interview years ago that she wants to start a family, so I think that must also be a factor in all this too.

Edited by abatt

According to an email ABT just sent, single tickets go on sale Sunday, March 22:

"Lock in the best seats at the best prices for all the season's celebrations before single tickets go on sale March 22!"

Last year, friends above a certain level (can't remember what that was) could buy singles a week earlier with seat selection. I haven't seen an announcement about that.

Edited by California
spelling correction
12 minutes ago, California said:

Last year, friends above a certain level (can't remember what that was) could buy singles a week earlier with seat selection. I haven't seen an announcement about that.

I got that one. If you join at the supporter level or above ($750 per year or $62.50 per month) you can buy single tickets starting 3/15.

3/15 is also when subscriber exchange week starts. It runs from 3/15 - 3/21 and then single tickets go on sale on 3/22.

9 minutes ago, nysusan said:

I got that one. If you join at the supporter level or above ($750 per year or $62.50 per month) you can buy single tickets starting 3/15.

3/15 is also when subscriber exchange week starts. It runs from 3/15 - 3/21 and then single tickets go on sale on 3/22.

Does anyone know whether, if you exchange subscription tickets during subscriber exchange week, you can also buy single tickets at that time? I'm going to guess yes, because you could buy additional tickets when you renewed your subscription, but I don't want to take that for granted.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Barbara said:

What?? When I bought my subscription I was told exchange week started 3/22! Good thing I read ballet alert! 

Did exchange instructions come with your tickets?  I received the exchange instructions with my subscription tickets with the date of 3/15. 

They actually sent my tickets to my daughter by mistake even though my address is on record as the primary one. I was going by what I was told on the phone re exchange week when I purchased the subscription. One mistake after another. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

8 hours ago, Barbara said:

They actually sent my tickets to my daughter by mistake even though my address is on record as the primary one. I was going by what I was told on the phone re exchange week when I purchased the subscription. One mistake after another. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Barbara, if you didn't receive the letter that came with your subscription you may not know that you can't exchange into the Osipova/Hallberg performances or the Smirnova/Kim Bayadere, as well as the Gala. I expected the Gala to be excluded but was surprised and disappointed at the others.

2 hours ago, Leah said:

I just did a create your own subscription this year. I ended up with pretty decent consistent seats at the same price. As soon as I saw Smirnova I knew that was going to go fast. I imagine the price will be raised considerably when single tickets go on sale.

I did a create-your-own for the Kim-Smirnova La Bayadere, the Osipova-Hallberg Giselle, and the opening of Love and Rage, and am happy with the seats they sent. We do have exchange privileges starting March 15. Ticket prices were already slightly higher for those and I expect they'll go higher. For the newcomers on this site, the Kim-Smirnova is not to be missed. I won't  be surprised if Makarova shows up for that one, if not others as well. 

Beginner question here: I'm a second year subscriber but this will be the first time I need to exchange tickets.  I've read the instructions multiple times but I do wish the instruction is more clear (at least to me)

Please confirm for me if I understood the subscription ticket exchange process correctly.

1:  By mail: one fill out the exchange form and mail it.

2:  Starting March 15 till 22nd is the "exchange week". I assume that this must be done in person that the Box office?  I'm not clear on this but assume that this is the ONLY method during this week.  Hence, I'll need to visit the Met Box Office in person and bring along the tickets and my subscriber card.

3:  There is no such thing as doing exchanges over the phone, as one can do with NYCB subscriptions?  

Thank you in advance

31 minutes ago, Leah said:

FWIW I’ve definitely gone to the box office in person outside of exchange week and exchanged tickets, without a fee. I didn’t even need a subscriber card.

When you say outside of exchange week, do you mean BEFORE or after.  After I can understand because they've opened up exchanges following the exchange week but I didn't know if yo can BEFORE.  

14 hours ago, nysusan said:

Barbara, if you didn't receive the letter that came with your subscription you may not know that you can't exchange into the Osipova/Hallberg performances or the Smirnova/Kim Bayadere, as well as the Gala. I expected the Gala to be excluded but was surprised and disappointed at the others.

Susan, I did not realize that. Definitely unfortunate. 

8 hours ago, Barbara said:

Susan, I did not realize that. Definitely unfortunate. 

Those performances were already priced higher than the rest of the season, so exchanging to them would require some additional payment along with the other ticket. I can see why that would be pretty complicated. I wouldn't be surprised if they go even higher, especially now with Hallberg's announcement that he's going to Australia.

20 hours ago, Novice123 said:

When you say outside of exchange week, do you mean BEFORE or after.  After I can understand because they've opened up exchanges following the exchange week but I didn't know if yo can BEFORE.  

For other newbies here: Customer service confirmed via email that I can call starting March 15 and make my exchanges over the phone. 

3 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

Just saw that Skylar Brandt is learning Swan Lake with coaches Irina and Max. In her words, "for fun." I wouldn't be surprised if Brandt is the new Copeland Swan Lake understudy. 

Exactly what I was thinking! I guess it makes sense since Copeland is paired with Cornejo right? I thought Skylar did great for her first few times running through it! I'm sure she will be great if she gets the chance! 

11 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

Exactly what I was thinking! I guess it makes sense since Copeland is paired with Cornejo right? I thought Skylar did great for her first few times running through it! I'm sure she will be great if she gets the chance! 

She rehearsed Giselle with Irina and Max, and eventually got the role. I think this is good planning on her part. 

1 hour ago, LadyBubbles said:

"For fun", sure sure. We'll pretend we bought that line. Is Misty going to do another "pass the baton" post this spring?

I love sky but yeah because everyone spends $$ to rehearse swan lake(that she's never done b4) for fun! I would rather see Sky in Swan Lake than Misty though..so I'm okay with it. 

10 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

Agreed.  I don’t think of Brandt as a natural swan queen, but those early rehearsal videos on her Instagram story looked promising.

Separately: thanks to the advice of those on this board, I made my own subscription with Smirnova/Kim Bayadère, and both the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle and R&J.  I think it’s unlikely I’ll be in a position to make all three, but all the exchange information provided here has convinced me to make the plunge.  Thanks especially to those who alerted that there was no exchanging in to these performances—you helped me finalize my selection.

10 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

I love sky but yeah because everyone spends $$ to rehearse swan lake(that she's never done b4) for fun! I would rather see Sky in Swan Lake than Misty though..so I'm okay with it. 

Lots of $$$. I'd rather see Brandt than Copeland, but then again I'd rather see Lane than Brandt. Then again, there's the Cornejo problem so we know it's not going to happen (the latter).

2 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Lots of $$$. I'd rather see Brandt than Copeland, but then again I'd rather see Lane than Brandt. Then again, there's the Cornejo problem so we know it's not going to happen (the latter).

I had the same thought about Lane. 

I also thought that Skylar had beautiful swan arms in the Instagram post showing her bouree-ing offstage. That's always such a telling moment for me. I was interested to see her say in her first clips that the role wasn't natural for her so she needed a great deal of repetition. I agreed with that assessment at the time. But then when I saw that clip of those beautiful swan arms (not too much, not too little, but juuuuust right), I thought to myself, she's definitely "getting" it.

I would much rather see Trenary in SL (or as a sub) than Brandt. Trenary recently did Dying Swan for a side gig, or maybe it was ABT’s cruise gig, but she had clips on her Instagram that were extraordinary. 

Guess I’m in the minority but I’m not too impressed with Brandt’s (albeit a work in progress) rehearsal videos.

Edit: correcting myself. Trenary did White Swan pas with Whiteside for an ABT cruise gig. See video below:

Edited by ABT Fan
1 hour ago, LadyBubbles said:

Agreed regarding Lane. I'd hoped that She and Cornejo might dance together if they had to due to injury. (Since she was Copeland's understudy for Apollo last fall.) I guess it'll really never happen again. That said, I'd also much rather see Brandt than Copeland. Wouldn't be surprised if there's another passing the baton post. 

4 hours ago, tutu said:

Agreed.  I don’t think of Brandt as a natural swan queen, but those early rehearsal videos on her Instagram story looked promising.

Separately: thanks to the advice of those on this board, I made my own subscription with Smirnova/Kim Bayadère, and both the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle and R&J.  I think it’s unlikely I’ll be in a position to make all three, but all the exchange information provided here has convinced me to make the plunge.  Thanks especially to those who alerted that there was no exchanging in to these performances—you helped me finalize my selection.

I just bought another create your own subscription and added these three shows.  May will be very busy with NYCB and ABT both at Lincoln Center. Not complaining of course.