This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

I agree, @Emily12.   

I saw Gillian Murphy dance Giselle with the New Zealand Ballet and loved her so much that I went back for her second performance.  Her port de bras was beautiful, her jumps were lighter than many a smaller ballerina,  she was convincing dramatically and did not dance like a powerhouse but had a delicacy and effortless quality as you describe so well.    I do not understand the ongoing paradigm of a Giselle as restricted to the body-type of Kirkland and/or Makarova.  

Edited by Josette

I don't disagree with Emily12 but I find fault with ABT casting in that Kevin M seems to believe that a few dancers such as Boylston (as one example) have no limits and can dance any role, and other dancers such as Lane, have severe limitations. I believe that Lane has transformed herself into a fine dramatic dancer but management has not expanded her rep. Boylston remains unchanged as an artist (as far as I can see) and is cast in everything. 

8 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

For what it’s worth, I just checked and Brandt “liked” this post (so did Irina and Max).  So, she must not believe it’s about her.

Skylar and Irina and Max could definitely be “liking” it to say “hey you jerk we saw this”. A like is not always a like. :) 

For someone who self-professes to be such a woman of faith and virtue Sarah sure seems to sling a lot of mud at her colleagues and have some pretty hateful heroes. 

24 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Skylar and Irina and Max could definitely be “liking” it to say “hey you jerk we saw this”. A like is not always a like. :) 

For someone who self-professes to be such a woman of faith and virtue Sarah sure seems to sling a lot of mud at her colleagues and have some pretty hateful heroes. 

Also it's clear from Sarah's IG that she DOES receive extensive coaching from Irina Kolpakova. There are long clips on her IG of Irina K. coaching her through the finer points of Giselle. It's great that they have a loving and productive relationship but I think Brandt made it clear that she did not have access to the same level of coaching within the ABT staff. And so Skylar has to find her own team. There's nothing wrong with that. 

I won't even get into the Hope Hicks quote. Oy. Except to guess based on the views expressed on the social media accounts of other ABT dancers that they likely aren't loving Hope Hicks as much as Sarah seems to.

Edited by canbelto
33 minutes ago, vipa said:

I find fault with ABT casting in that Kevin M seems to believe that a few dancers such as Boylston (as one example) have no limits and can dance any role, and other dancers such as Lane, have severe limitations.

Oh I agree with this whole-heartedly.  So many casting decisions are a mystery to me.  I always wish I knew or had the inside track as it is at times beyond baffling.  The predilections of ADs has no baring on what is “natural” or “normal”!
Boylston is technically strong, solid and reliable - I can see how that would be of value to an AD, but she has never touched my soul.  There could also be a dozen reasons political or otherwise that we will never be privy to.  Maybe she’s charming or laughs at his jokes more than others - Lol.   Hee Seo is another one that fails to move me and Mckenzie seems to think the sun shines out of her, I find her wooden and uninspiring, the only time she showed real emotion was at Bolle’s farewell, that emotion fed her dancing as well, best performance she’s ever given imo - it was like Bolle and the energy of the evening lit her on fire.  Lightening in a bottle perhaps.  

I love Lane as a dancer.  I also don’t think her repertoire is exactly shabby.  She has danced or is set to dance the 3 roles she says she always dreamed about - Giselle, Manon and Juliet.  She’s also danced Nikiya, Kitri, Aurora, Swanhilda, Gulnare, Clara, Praline, Columbine, Olga, and many other leads in one acts and short ballets.  I was lucky enough to be at the 1.5 Swan Lakes where Lane subbed in for Kotchetkova and then Copeland.  For four rehearsals, she surely pulled it off.  I believe she will get the chance again, but until then, even if she doesn’t benefit from the same favoritism as Seo and Bolyston,  she’s hardly baby in the corner and we will get to enjoy her Juliet, Giselle, Nikiya and Aurora this spring.

In my opinion, Lane's post seemed more directed at Copeland, who sells tickets. I recall that when Lane posted about having to sub in as black swan for Copeland, she was less than enthused. Something along the lines of well I guess this is happening. I just remember how unexcited Lane was about it. The fact that Lane herself has sought out coaching from Irina/Max makes me think that her post wasn't necessarily directed towards Brandt. Brandt paid for coaching that got her Giselle. Lane already has Giselle. But Copeland sells tickets and gets more shows/roles. Lane had to sub in as black swan last year. This year she still isn't cast yet Copeland gets two shows. 

The casting choices are seriously eyebrow raising. I agree with the points about Boylston and Seo being cast for everything while Lane remains pigeon holed. As for Lane, it is true that we will get to see her Juliet, Giselle and her Aurora. BUT those are her ONLY shows this spring, just THREE shows. The soloists have more shows than her. Lane will also not perform Nikiya at the met. (The fact that Boylston has been cast in that role with Cornejo makes me wonder if Lane is still understudying any show that has Cornejo. I held out hope that we could see a Lane/Cornejo show if Lane was the understudy but now...) 

I agree that the caption was perhaps in poor taste by Lane. But it's hard to fault her when she's so publically humiliated by her own company. (Again, THREE shows out of eight weeks. Perhaps she'll be cast as the rose in the seasons or have that housekeep part in Jane Eyre. But as of now, Lane's met rep reads like an aging dancer in her farewell season.) 

3 hours ago, California said:

This reminds me of the response to Martine van Hamel doing Giselle long ago -- a perfect Myrtha, but too strong to be a convincing Giselle.

Yes, Martine's !st act Giselle was too healthy looking  compared to the reigning Giselles in the mid -70s(Makarova,Gelsey, Carla fracci) ABT but her 2nd act was very beautifu land touching,IMO. She just did it once with Clark Tippet.

13 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

In my opinion, Lane's post seemed more directed at Copeland, who sells tickets. I recall that when Lane posted about having to sub in as black swan for Copeland, she was less than enthused. Something along the lines of well I guess this is happening. I just remember how unexcited Lane was about it. The fact that Lane herself has sought out coaching from Irina/Max makes me think that her post wasn't necessarily directed towards Brandt. Brandt paid for coaching that got her Giselle. Lane already has Giselle. But Copeland sells tickets and gets more shows/roles. Lane had to sub in as black swan last year. This year she still isn't cast yet Copeland gets two shows. 

The casting choices are seriously eyebrow raising. I agree with the points about Boylston and Seo being cast for everything while Lane remains pigeon holed. As for Lane, it is true that we will get to see her Juliet, Giselle and her Aurora. BUT those are her ONLY shows this spring, just THREE shows. The soloists have more shows than her. Lane will also not perform Nikiya at the met. (The fact that Boylston has been cast in that role with Cornejo makes me wonder if Lane is still understudying any show that has Cornejo. I held out hope that we could see a Lane/Cornejo show if Lane was the understudy but now...) 

I agree that the caption was perhaps in poor taste by Lane. But it's hard to fault her when she's so publically humiliated by her own company. (Again, THREE shows out of eight weeks. Perhaps she'll be cast as the rose in the seasons or have that housekeep part in Jane Eyre. But as of now, Lane's met rep reads like an aging dancer in her farewell season.) 

Hmm I can sympathize with her lack of shows but this is just my own experience as an educator and as a person: starting drama on social media ALWAYS ends in tears. It’s never productive. I’ve literally never seen it end well.

Edited by canbelto
10 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Hmm I can sympathize with her lack of shows but this is just my own experience as an educator and as a person: starting drama on social media ALWAYS ends in tears. It’s never productive. I’ve literally never seen it end well. So for Lane to drop this on SM ... it’s not going to get her more shows. It’s not going to make ppl in the company rally towards her. It will likely alienate ppl even more (especially the Hope Hicks quote).

Yes I can see how this could turn out. It makes me sad really, that Lane is at a place where she feels she needs to express herself like this. She is such a gifted dancer yet isn't appreciated by her own company and will probably be forced into retirement. In her situation, I understand how it could've led to this unfortunate post. As a fan of hers, it's hard to see. She's just not doing herself any favors with posts like this. 

Edited by Lena C.
5 minutes ago, canbelto said:

The plus side is we got excellent footage of her in Giselle! That rehearsal footage is gorgeous and I saved it on my phone to rewatch so there’s that.

Yes I saved it too. Bottom line, we got wonderful rehearsal video of Lane in argubley her best role. That's what I'm focusing on. 

Well now Lane is getting HEAT for using that quote. Let's see what she has to say about that. I can't even sure she knows who this person (whose name I refuse to say) is what she represents. I've seen so many people find random quotes they like and use them carelessly on social media. Some don't even cite the source, which is wrong. Others do, only to be horrified when they're told who that quote came from. Well, the latest comment was rather straight up "how could you?" so we'll see if she a) responds, b) ignores, c) deletes the comment and ignores, e) deletes the quote, or f) delete the post entirely. I can't defend her; she's a big girl. You put it out there, you answer for it.

As for the rest of the post, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Was it about Brandt? Maybe or maybe not. Copeland? Maybe or maybe not. A random reflection she thought of while taking a shower? Maybe (or not). The timing was unfortunate. If this was meant to be shade, then this is no different than any other workplace. There will be drama, there will be tears, there will be fights, and there will be make ups at some point. I personally have to deal with it, as in deal with the conflict resolution, all the time. Of course, I'm not allowed to comment on anyone's drama outside of my little team bubble, but boy do adults really get into the drama of life.

6 minutes ago, Helene said:

[Admin hat on]

Dancers, like members, have the right to their own religion and politics.

[/Admin hat off]

6 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Well now Lane is getting HEAT for using that quote. Let's see what she has to say about that. I can't even sure she knows who this person (whose name I refuse to say) is what she represents. I've seen so many people find random quotes they like and use them carelessly on social media. Some don't even cite the source, which is wrong. Others do, only to be horrified when they're told who that quote came from. Well, the latest comment was rather straight up "how could you?" so we'll see if she a) responds, b) ignores, c) deletes the comment and ignores, e) deletes the quote, or f) delete the post entirely. I can't defend her; she's a big girl. You put it out there, you answer for it.

As for the rest of the post, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Was it about Brandt? Maybe or maybe not. Copeland? Maybe or maybe not. A random reflection she thought of while taking a shower? Maybe (or not). The timing was unfortunate. If this was meant to be shade, then this is no different than any other workplace. There will be drama, there will be tears, there will be fights, and there will be make ups at some point. I personally have to deal with it, as in deal with the conflict resolution, all the time. Of course, I'm not allowed to comment on anyone's drama outside of my little team bubble, but boy do adults really get into the drama of life.

She quoted someone who represents an administration that's anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant, anti-human-rights, anti-reality. Hopefully she realized the implications.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

She quoted someone who represents an administration that's anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant, anti-human-rights, anti-reality. Hopefully she realized the implications.

We'll see. It's certainly unfortunate that she chose to quote that person. Someone quoted Hillary Clinton in her comments and Lane "liked" it. 

What makes Sarah Lane's IG post even more problematic is that if it is aimed at Skylar Brandt, we have a principal bashing a soloist for using money to get roles.  Within the company hierarchy, Lane is higher in rank than Brandt.  So it looks like someone who is privileged and powerful bashing someone who is trying to rise within the company.  Maybe Lane feels that she is not privileged or powerful at all at ABT and that could be the problem.  Of course, Lane must be very aware of the fact that she is not being cast as much as several of her colleagues.  Even Ratmansky who has been very much a Lane supporter has not cast her in his new ballet and her role of The Rose in his "The Seasons" is TBA this Spring despite the fact that Lane created the role.  Another issue is that Skylar Brandt is a very petite dancer as is Lane - Brandt is younger and a more consistent technician.  Definitely there is the factor of competition for roles.

Also, it is very evident from all the extra coaching sessions that Brandt posts on Instagram that she is working very hard indeed. 

6 hours ago, LadyBubbles said:

She doesn't have to answer for it.  She's not required to regulate other people's emotions.  

6 hours ago, LadyBubbles said:

Well now Lane is getting HEAT for using that quote.

Getting heat? As of now, there are two negative comments with a combined 10 likes. The post as a whole has only gotten 36 comments, none of which are from ballet professionals I recognize. Many other dancers, etc. are liking the post, but all are staying silent, none expressing support. That to me is pretty revealing.

34 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Getting heat? As of now, there are two negative comments with a combined 10 likes. The post as a whole has only gotten 36 comments, none of which are from ballet professionals I recognize. Many other dancers, etc. are liking the post, but all are staying silent, none expressing support. That to me is pretty revealing.

Some comments were deleted. She kept the reasonably critical ones.

Trust me, I wouldn't use the word heat too loosely. I'm not one of those people who overreacts and over-analyzes everything on social media.

2 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Trust me, I wouldn't use the word heat too loosely. I'm not one of those people who overreacts and over-analyzes everything on social media.

And now she’s taken down the quote.

Edited by fondoffouettes
14 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

And now she’s taken down the quote.

There is still one response from Lane in the comments. She says she doesn’t support Hicks or Trump, just using part of a quote. Um, no. She never should posted it, nor the money references. Just don’t say anything!

Someone commented that Lane is cast less for the Met than some of her colleagues. If by colleagues they mean her fellow principals, she is cast WAY less then ALL of them. Even considerably less then Brandt, Trenary and Hurlin. I can’t imagine how she must feel. Maybe she’s being pushed out and she knows it. But, posting stuff like this online doesn’t help her. I really hope she rethinks and refrains from anything more like this.

Edited by ABT Fan
20 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Got it, thanks for the clarification. I missed the deleted ones between several times looking at the post.

25 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Someone commented that Lane is cast less for the Met than some of her colleagues. If by colleagues they mean her fellow principals, she is cast WAY less then ALL of them. Even considerably less then Brandt, Trenary and Hurlin. I can’t imagine how she must feel. Maybe she’s being pushed out and she knows it. But, posting stuff like this online doesn’t help her. I really hope she rethinks and refrains from anything more like this.

Agreed.