This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

She also posted on instagram about "humility" on the night of Cornejo's 20th anniversary performance, so I'm less surprised by the "shade" than the Hope Hicks quote since so many of her colleagues are members of groups targeted by the current administration.  I'll try to find that post when my wifi connection is better.

There is at least one other ABT ballerina who is cast in roles based on financial considerations rather than artistry.  I'm glad Brandt, Irina and Max have "liked" Sarah's post.

It's clear that a lot of ABT dancers are investing in themselves.  The article mentions that Calvin Royal and Shevchenko also get outside help from Irina and Max. 

Edited by abatt
3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

For what it’s worth, I just checked and Brandt “liked” this post (so did Irina and Max).  So, she must not believe it’s about her.

Or she is more gracious and wants to downplay the tension.

I can't find that Sarah Lane liked any of Skylar's posts about her Giselle (most of the company members liked at least one)

9 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

That’s exactly who I was thinking of.

If you all are referring to Misty--two things.

1) It is possible but it seems directed at someone (in her view) buying the things they get. I don't think that implies Misty--she may be cast because she brings in the big $$ in terms of audience but it seems a stretch.

2) Sarah Lane follows Misty. She follows the other 2 up and coming female soloists. She does not follow Skylar.

Edited by aurora

I agree it seems likely, all things considered (especially coming right after the NYT article, and the fact that the message is directly linked to Giselle), that Lane is throwing some shade at Brandt.

But assuming that's the case, I don't really buy her (implied) logic. If a dancer throws both money and hard work at a problem, why does that necessarily diminish the hard work?

Brandt wasn't sidestepping hard work; presumably she was investing in coaching in order to ensure that her hard work was as focused and effective as possible. Not every dancer can afford to do that, to be sure, but I don't see how it detracts from Brandt's achievement.

I think Lane has been sadly underutilized and undervalued at ABT. But I hope she doesn't let that cloud her judgment. Better to stay above it — at least on social media!

Edited by nanushka

Yeah, I don’t know. 

We (and I mean me too) could all be reading into this post and it might not have anything to do with a particular dancer. I say this because I remember when Abrera and Copeland were both promoted, Hallberg posted a lovely congratulatory message on his own IG to Abrera, and only to her. He said she was the real deal, had demonstrated the benefits and respect of persistence and hard work (and he really emphasized such values) which I interpreted as a dig to Copeland. I even remember seeing a comment or two from people saying something to the effect of “and congrats to Misty, too, no?”, to which I never saw him reply to (of course maybe I just didn’t see his reply at that time). Since then I’ve seen frequent and lovely postings and comments made by him regarding Copeland and they all seem very genuine, so I quite possibly read into what he wrote, and didn’t write, years ago.

27 minutes ago, aurora said:

If you all are referring to Misty--two things.

1) It is possible but it seems directed at someone (in her view) buying the things they get. I don't think that implies Misty--she may be cast because she brings in the big $$ in terms of audience but it seems a stretch.

2) Sarah Lane follows Misty. She follows the other 2 up and coming female soloists. She does not follow Skylar.

Anybody have an ABT program handy? I wonder if Skylar's parents are generous donors. Of course, they could also be under "anonymous." 

Still, I immediately thought of a line from  Turning Point: "Sometimes...better not to talk..." This seems like one of those times!

CRINGE. The PR person in me wants to take away her phone and hide it. Even if the post has nothing to do Skylar or Misty it certainly reads like a jab — which is not a very gracious look.

And don't get me started on the quote.

6 minutes ago, California said:

"Sometimes...better not to talk..." This seems like one of those times!

This!

re: Sarah's IG post, I read this as hard work should matter more than where the $ is, which to me is more about Misty being cast for ticket sales as opposed to technical and artistic quality (for example, knowing that Misty may well pull out of difficult classical roles at the last minute). The Hope Hicks quote takes it a bit farther, in that what's presented to the public should match the reality behind the scenes. 

But who knows, maybe this is aimed at Skylar. In 2017, her parents' family foundation gifted ABT $20K and City Center $10K. The previous year, $5K to ABT and $12,500 to NYCC (public 990 tax records on Guidestar.org). 

2 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

re: Sarah's IG post, I read this as hard work should matter more than where the $ is, which to me is more about Misty being cast for ticket sales as opposed to technical and artistic quality (for example, knowing that Misty may well pull out of difficult classical roles at the last minute). The Hope Hicks quote takes it a bit farther, in that what's presented to the public should match the reality behind the scenes. 

But who knows, maybe this is aimed at Skylar. In 2017, her parents' family foundation gifted ABT $20K and City Center $10K. The previous year, $5K to ABT and $12,500 to NYCC (public 990 tax records on Guidestar.org). 

Misty never made it to a single Giselle performance. Skylar did, twice. And she had a recent NYT article about the heavy investment she made into learning a role BEFORE she knew she;d be cast.

5 hours ago, cobweb said:

GB1216, I would go for the chance to see Herman Cornejo. Just seeing him will be worth the price of admission. Misty has been cancelling a lot, so you may see her or perhaps someone else (if you got Brandt or Lane it would be great casting). Whatever happens with Misty, I'd vote for seeing Cornejo. Hee Seo can be lovely, but has technical limitations, and Stearns is a good partner but boring. MHO. 

Thank you so much! 

Yeah, the key part for me is this:

...it is important to know in my heart that every opportunity that I have gotten came simply from that work and not a penny more. Money can't make an artist.

That sounds like it's about what the artist is putting in (work vs. money), not how many tickets buyers the artist is or is not bringing to the company's performances.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Hasn't Lane also received  outside coaching from Max and Irina?  I didn't think this was necessarily a reference to Brandt. 

I agree. Lane was coached by Max and Irina in both SL and Giselle and posted about it on IG.  I don't think she's referring to Brandt. Brandt's put in plenty of hard work.

8 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Misty never made it to a single Giselle performance. Skylar did, twice. And she had a recent NYT article about the heavy investment she made into learning a role BEFORE she knew she;d be cast.

McKenzie told her “to keep a strong eye” on Giselle (info we weren’t privy to before that article and when she was posting all of her rehearsal videos). That comment didn’t guarantee her being cast, but it sure sent a strong message that she should start learning it by any means possible. For a dancer with limited financial means, that would entail watching endless videos, reading books, working out some steps in their apt, staying a few minutes after class or for however long they could steal the studio for their own use before getting kicked out. Brandt is very fortunate that she could afford to hire top coaches and for as long as she did, but It seems obvious from that article that McKenzie wasn’t going to have any staff teach or coach her in the role (otherwise he would have said “we’re going to have you learn the role” or something to that effect). Yes, she made a heavy investment BEFORE she was actually cast, but in my opinion, the AD told her to do so for a reason.