This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

28 minutes ago, maps said:

I enjoy Brandt's instagram. I don't subscribe but do surf every few weeks.  She's doing the Sunday mystery cast matinee with Ahn at the Kennedy Center and Forster is our Albrecht with Murphy on Sat eve.  I love the casting and it's a marathon. https://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BUBSE

Wow. I see it’s now on ABT’s site.

I wonder why Shevchenko and Royal were not given that slot for their debut prior to the Met season. That’s usually how they do it.

The coaching staff will really have their hands full this season preparing so many soloists for major debuts in the classics.

1 hour ago, maps said:

I enjoy Brandt's instagram. I don't subscribe but do surf every few weeks.  She's doing the Sunday mystery cast matinee with Ahn at the Kennedy Center and Forster is our Albrecht with Murphy on Sat eve.  I love the casting and it's a marathon. https://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BUBSE

Thanks you so much for the heads up regarding Brandt's Giselle debut! Now there's a show I don't want to miss. Will be a good test of her soulful, emotional dancing. 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, vipa said:

Even though I've seen the ballet [T&V] many, many times there are sections in which I'm so focused on the principal that I don't pay a lot of attention to the demi-soloists. This gave me a new appreciation for how much dancing they do, and how difficult it is. 

Many, many years ago I read an interview with Heather Watts in which she discussed the (to her mind at least) lackluster first five years or so of her career. She approached Balanchine for guidance and he recommended that she go watch (if I recall correctly) Gelsey Kirkland in T&V. "I wasn't even good enough to be in the corps of Theme!" she remarked to the interviewer. 

Great news for Brandt and Ahn! Shame I can't stay until Sunday.

I wonder if the artistic staff is a bit apprehensive about Murphy's comeback. Perhaps they want someone already tested in the role just in case she's not ready to perform all the roles she's due to dance at the MET. I'm sure she'll be ready, but you never know. But I must say, I'm surprised Shevchenko is not getting a performance before her NY debut.

27 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

I wonder if the artistic staff is a bit apprehensive about Murphy's comeback. Perhaps they want someone already tested in the role just in case she's not ready to perform all the roles she's due to dance at the MET. I'm sure she'll be ready, but you never know. But I must say, I'm surprised Shevchenko is not getting a performance before her NY debut.

I wondered that too. Also, given the injury/cancellation rate of Hallberg/Osipova, that’s another reason to have another team ready to go.

I also enjoy Brandt's Instagram posts.  I especially love watching the coaching sessions she has with Dvorovenko, and hearing Dvorovenko's corrections.    

What I really cannot stand are the posts (done by other dancers, NOT Brandt) featuring half-naked photography by this guy "Nisian".  Maybe I'm being prudish, but I find them very distasteful.    

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed that the first portion of the Met Seasons casting is now up. TBAs for The Rose in The Seasons. Lane is only cast in 3 performances of the Met Season as opposed to say Hee Seo who is cast in 14 performances. Something is brewing here...

10 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed that the first portion of the Met Seasons casting is now up. TBAs for The Rose in The Seasons. Lane is only cast in 3 performances of the Met Season as opposed to say Hee Seo who is cast in 14 performances. Something is brewing here...

I saw that too. I was too upset to post about it. Lane not only has far fewer scheduled performances than all of the other female principals, but also fewer than soloists Brandt and Trenary. Why TBA for The Rose? Lane created that role. Even if she is given the lead in the new Ratmansky and at least two shows of that, it still won’t make up for the lack of casting in other things. 

1 hour ago, Fleurfairy said:

I don't suppose we'll ever know what's going on, unless somebody lets it all hang out in an interview. But there are several first-rate companies where she could be happy -- San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia -- I hope she is able to make a move that's mutually beneficial. I would happily go see her with any of those companies. 

I was surprised that only one of the three casts of T&V from the Fall is coming back in the Spring.  I understand that Teuscher is doing Lilac Garden on the same program, but she was so good I'm disappointed she's not reprising her role  in T&V.  I'm surprised about Lane being shut out, but not surprised that we won't see Gorak again in T&V.  He did a poor job, in my opinion.  I am thrilled that Shevchenko will debut in T&V.

6 hours ago, angelica said:

I am thrilled to see Shevchenko in anything. She's my go-to ballerina right now at ABT.

I am really looking forward to seeing her and Forster (in his debut) in SL. She was excellent with Whiteside this past season, but with Forster I predict it will be a performance not to be missed.

15 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I am really looking forward to seeing her and Forster (in his debut) in SL. She was excellent with Whiteside this past season, but with Forster I predict it will be a performance not to be missed.

I can't wait. I so much hope you are right!

It looks like Forster and Shevchenko will likely be one of the principal couples in the new Ratmansky full-length (what a season for Forster!). Macaulay posted photos of them performing a pas de deux from the ballet at the Met Museum (apparently Ratmansky has drawn inspiration from several works in the Greek and Roman collection).

These two costumes appear to be quite lovely: 

Edited by fondoffouettes
10 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I saw that too. I was too upset to post about it. Lane not only has far fewer scheduled performances than all of the other female principals, but also fewer than soloists Brandt and Trenary. Why TBA for The Rose? Lane created that role. Even if she is given the lead in the new Ratmansky and at least two shows of that, it still won’t make up for the lack of casting in other things. 

I completely concur. I am so upset by this devastating news regarding Lane's lack of casting. She is in her prime, it's not like she's in her retirement season. This seems to be further proof that management is forcing Lane out like Part, taking away shows until Lane leaves voluntarily or her contract simply isn't renewed. This is all leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'm all for the advancement of homegrown dancers and a big fan of soloists like Trenary, Brandt and Hurlin. But not at the cost of veterans like Lane and Abrera. Those two have had their careers severely mismanaged, suffered from the guest star policy, and now are being passed over for fresher faces. Like I said, a very bitter taste in my mouth. It will be hard to look forward to this met season. 

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

It looks like Forster and Shevchenko will likely be one of the principal couples in the new Ratmansky full-length (what a season for Forster!). Macaulay posted photos of them performing a pas de deux from the ballet at the Met Museum (apparently Ratmansky has drawn inspiration from several works in the Greek and Roman.

Wow, thank you for posting this. They both look gorgeous. I sure hope Forster is eating his Wheaties in preparation for the upcoming season. What a load of debuts he will have. I’m thrilled he’s finally getting his due (and hopefully a promotion).

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

I completely concur. I am so upset by this devastating news regarding Lane's lack of casting. She is in her prime, it's not like she's in her retirement season. This seems to be further proof that management is forcing Lane out like Part, taking away shows until Lane leaves voluntarily or her contract simply isn't renewed. This is all leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'm all for the advancement of homegrown dancers and a big fan of soloists like Trenary, Brandt and Hurlin. But not at the cost of veterans like Lane and Abrera. Those two have had their careers severely mismanaged, suffered from the guest star policy, and now are being passed over for fresher faces. Like I said, a very bitter taste in my mouth. It will be hard to look forward to this met season. 

This is why I won't be in NY this summer. Next summer as well perhaps. My plans could change at anytime since I now work remotely and have a ton of flexibility, but I doubt they'll change. I'm not giving ABT any more money. Giselle in DC and that's it. You guys will have to tell me about the new Ratmansky because I doubt I'll ever get to witness that piece.

This isn't about Lane (I do like her a lot, not gonna lie). However, this is the cherry on top. Too many great artists have been shut out and for no good reason.

2 hours ago, Lena C. said:

Sarah Lane has posted some clips from her 2018 Kitri debut on her social media. Kind of hard to watch, knowing the likely end of her partnership with Cornejo. Also not knowing if she'll be cast the next time ABT stages Don Q, given this coming season. 

I saw that clip. Wonderful!

She also recently posted a long clip of Nikiya. Also, beautiful.

National Ballet of Canada just sent out e-mail that they are co-producing Ratmanky's new Of Love and Rage and will perform it in their 2021-22 season in Toronto. No mention of their co-produced Tempest!

ofloveandrage-header01.jpg

Of Love and Rage by Alexei Ratmansky

Co-Produced with American Ballet Theatre
2021/22 Season

From the creator of Romeo and Juliet comes Of Love and Rage. This new full-length ballet by Alexei Ratmansky tells the epic tale of Callirhoe and her lover Chaereus and the daunting obstacles they must navigate.

“I am a great admirer of Alexei. His understanding of classical vocabulary is unmatched, and his ballets are always inventive and masterful. One of the highlights as Artistic Director was commissioning him to create a new Romeo and Juliet in 2011 and I could not be more delighted to add Of Love and Rage” – Karen Kain, Artistic Director

A co-production between The National Ballet of Canada and American Ballet Theatre (ABT), the world premiere will be performed by ABT in California in March 2020 and then in New York in June 2020. Of Love and Rage will make its Canadian premiere during the National Ballet’s 2021/22 season in Toronto.