This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

12 minutes ago, stuben said:

I guess I should have been clearer and thanks for adding to this. I didn't mean that she quit, I recall of her feeling about her leaving, however, I recall how she was treated similarly at the time. With so much unknown about how 'bias" and "vendettas" work within, I do wonder how many others left for similar reasons (not sure principals or soloists). We will never know.

Got it, yes, I see your meaning. Thanks for clarifying. And yes, the sidelining is sadly reminiscent. One wonders why Lane was promoted if her talents were going to be made so little use of.

31 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Got it, yes, I see your meaning. Thanks for clarifying. And yes, the sidelining is sadly reminiscent. One wonders why Lane was promoted if her talents were going to be made so little use of.

If I remember correctly, Lane was promoted after she and Simkin had danced one of the most exquisite performances of Giselle ever, on very short notice. I don't recall what else happened that season, but perhaps there was another "save" as well.

6 minutes ago, angelica said:

If I remember correctly, Lane was promoted after she and Simkin had danced one of the most exquisite performances of Giselle ever, on very short notice. I don't recall what else happened that season, but perhaps there was another "save" as well.

Yes that’s correct — but from all appearances KMcK does not seem to think as highly of her as you and I and many others do. It’s not as if he wouldn’t have gotten away with not promoting her even after that performance. So I’m curious why he did, only to use her so little. We’ll likely never know, though.

5 minutes ago, angelica said:

Actually that 2017 Lane/Simkin Giselle was planned, they'd already had a try out on tour in Oman. Kochetkova (?) got injured and Lane stepped in last minute to dance Giselle with Cornejo. (I distinctly rememer the warm post he dedicated to Lane on IG after their show. It's gone now, sadly.) 

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

You say it much better 😊 "reminiscent" indeed. I wonder likewise with others being "housed".

7 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Yes that’s correct — but from all appearances KMcK does not seem to think as highly of her as you and I and many others do. It’s not as if he wouldn’t have gotten away with not promoting her even after that performance. So I’m curious why he did, only to use her so little. We’ll likely never know, though.

Just saw this and if I recall there was a lot of chatter here and possibly other fans in other blogs that might have helped Lane, and who knows, maybe they got calls too, just saying and I might be all wrong, but I do recall there were quite a few posts calling for her promotion back then.

2 hours ago, LadyBubbles said:

Okay all, settle down. I, too, remember all those pics with Cornejo. They were Insta STORIES. I remember them very well because I screenshot them. 

I went through Lane's IG and I don't see any missing pictures. Also, I don't think Lane and Cornejo ever followed each other. I remember finding that out a few years ago and thinking hmm weird but ok. She at least seems to be the type of person to follow those she regularly interacts with on social media on a regular basis. 

Just a reminder that these two are "old millennials." Younger millennials and Gen Z'ers take social media way more seriously than the pre-1988 crowd. So, I wouldn't put much thought into it if I were you guys. 

I hope you’re right, Lady Bubbles! If (when?) Misty has to drop out of some of her performances Sarah would end up with Herman anyway. So awkward if there is a rift. 

21 minutes ago, angelica said:

12 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

Actually that 2017 Lane/Simkin Giselle was planned, they'd already had a try out on tour in Oman. Kochetkova (?) got injured and Lane stepped in last minute to dance Giselle with Cornejo. (I distinctly rememer the warm post he dedicated to Lane on IG after their show. It's gone now, sadly.) 

Lane had two "saves" that season, both to replace an injured Kochetkova. One, was her second Giselle with Cornejo, days after her debut with Simkin. And, the second was her O/O debut (with about 4 days notice) with Simkin. 

I also wonder why she was promoted, nanushka, to be used so little.

I hate that there's no longer a way to view casting "at a glance" on the ABT calendar, except by scrolling on phone or hovering on computer, so since the chart that was previously posted here no longer seems available, I made this one. (Sorry for the length but thought some others might find it useful.)

La Bayadère

Tu 5/19           Boylston, Cornejo, Trenary

W 5/20m         Teuscher, Stearns, Shevchenko

W 5/20e          Seo, Bell, Hurlin

Th 5/21           Smirnova, Kim, Murphy

Romeo and Juliet

F 5/22            Abrera, Whiteside

Sa 5/23m         Trenary, Cornejo

Sa 5/23e          Copeland, Royal

M 5/25             Osipova, Hallberg

Tu 5/26           Seo, Stearns

W 5/27m         Teuscher, Bell

W 5/27e          Copeland, Royal

Th 5/28           Lane, Gorak

F 5/29             Murphy, Whiteside

Sa 5/30m         Boylston, Forster

Sa 5/30e          Teuscher, Bell

Giselle

M 6/8              Seo, Stearns, Teuscher

Tu 6/9             Copeland, Cornejo, Williams

W 6/10m         Shevchenko, Royal, Hurlin

W 6/10e          Murphy, Forster, Williams

Th 6/11           Osipova, Hallberg, Teuscher

F 6/12             Boylston, Bell, Hurlin

Sa 6/13m         Lane, Simkin, Shevchenko

Sa 6/13e          Abrera, Whiteside, Murphy

Sleeping Beauty

M 6/15             Boylston, Whiteside

Tu 6/16           Trenary, Gorak

W 6/17m         Hurlin, TBA

W 6/17e          Lane, TBA

Th 6/18           Boylston, Whiteside

F 6/19             Seo, Bell

Sa 6/20m         Brandt, TBA

Sa 6/20e          Trenary, Gorak

Jane Eyre

M 6/22             Teuscher, Whiteside

Tu 6/23           Copeland, Stearns

W 6/24m         Teuscher, Whiteside

W 6/24e          Boylston, Forster

Th 6/25           Copeland, Stearns

Swan Lake

F 6/26             Seo, Bell

Sa 6/27m         Shevchenko, Forster

Sa 6/27e          Murphy, Whiteside

M 6/29             Boylston, Ahn

Tu 6/30           Copeland, Cornejo

W 7/1m           Murphy, Whiteside

W 7/1e             Seo, Bell

Th 7/2             Shevchenko, Forster

F 7/3               Teuscher, Stearns

Sa 7/4m           Copeland, Cornejo

And the numbers:

• Teuscher 8
  • Boylston 7
  • Copeland 7
  • Murphy 6
  • Seo 6
  • Shevchenko 5
  • Hurlin 4
  • Trenary 4
  • Lane 3
  • Abrera 2
  • Osipova 2
  • Williams 2
  • Brandt 1
  • Smirnova 1

• Whiteside 9
  • Bell 7
  • Stearns 6
  • Cornejo 5
  • Forster 5
  • Gorak 3
  • Royal 3
  • Hallberg 2
  • Ahn 1
  • Kim 1
  • Simkin 1
Edited by nanushka

Honestly I think the most shocking thing is that Gorak actually gets three principal performances...! 

Also to point out to everyone who believes matinee casting to be a slap in the face: Teuscher, Stearns, Shevchenko, Cornejo, Copeland, Murphy, Whiteside, Boylston and Simkin are all scheduled for at least one matinee. 

On 10/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, canbelto said:

I might be in the minority but I haven't been so excited for an ABT spring season in ages. 

I'm pretty excited as well.

First, I just like the lineup of ballets. Last year we had to wait so long to get to the classics (week 5?), whereas now they're nicely spread out. And it'll be fun to end the season with Swan Lake. I wish they were doing a full run of La Bayadère, and less of Romeo and Juliet, and although I actually enjoyed Jane Eyre I don't feel the strong desire to see it again yet. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Ratmansky (though I will not make the mistake of buying tickets to multiple performances in advance, as I did for some of his past premieres).

Second, when I look at the season as a series of performances to potentially enjoy — as opposed to thinking more about what it means for individual dancers whose careers I really care about — there are just a bunch that I want to see. In fact, of the 46 performances currently cast, there are at least 25 individual performances that I'd pay money to attend. I'll have to make some tough decisions, for a variety of reasons: too little time; too little money; zero interest in seeing more than 1-2 total R&Js (even though there are 5 different casts I'd be interested to see); some imperfect casting combinations; etc.

I'd love to see Trenary, Shevchenko and Hurlin as Gamzatti, but probably won't — or definitely not more than one of those, since the Thursday cast is a must for me, and I can't see going to more than two. Same with Abrera, Trenary and Lane as Juliet. (I'm really torn when it comes to R&J: would love to see Lane, but Gorak will likely be a disaster; would love to see Forster, but can't imagine tolerating Boylston. The Abrera/Whiteside and Trenary/Cornejo casts are most wholly appealing, but I can't imagine seeing that ballet one evening and again the following afternoon.)

I can predict right now that I'm probably going to do something crazy and see two Giselle double-headers. I just don't know if I can miss Shevchenko (in both roles), Hurlin, Forster, Lane, Murphy's Myrta (which I haven't seen in far too long), and Abrera's farewell.

I'm really excited about Hurlin's and Brandt's debuts as Aurora. I'll probably skip Trenary, since I've already seen (and loved) her twice in the role. I love Lane, but a third Sleeping Beauty might depend on who her partner is.

For me, the Shevchenko/Forster Swan Lake may be the most exciting overall cast of the season.

I think Trenary and Bell will get promoted. I hope Forster gets promoted. And, in the future, I would love to see Brandt, Lane and Hoven get more roles.

Don't weekend matinees tend to sell very well? They may not feel as "glamorous" to attend but I've never thought of them as less appealing. But if anything, Copeland should be getting all of the matinees because her fanbase consists of so many children. Given that Simkin's only show is a matinee, I wouldn't see it as a slight. The fact that Lane only gets three principal-roles shows (so far) is another story. Gorak looked not-great the past few times I've seen him but I don't think he's irredeemable. Romeo isn't as technically difficult as Theme and Variations. And upper-body strength is something that can be acquired in seven months. (Just trying to be optimistic here... I really want the show to be great!).

Hoven was excellent as Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty this past spring; he should be taking one of those open Desiré spots. He jumps high, has very clean feet, and can partner and act... pretty much everything the role requires. 

I'm not surprised they're bringing back Tharp's "Gathering of Ghosts" to get their money's worth on the commission, but I don't know why anyone would want to see that again. 

Overall I'm also looking forward to the season though, especially to the Shevchenko/Forster Swan Lake, as well as the guest appearances in La Bayadere and Gisele. There seems to be more casting variety than the past two years. It's a season full of "blockbuster" events, which I'm sure the company needs for their bottom line right now. 

Edited by JuliaJ
12 hours ago, Leah said:

Wasn’t Ana Sophia Scheller let go to make room for Kuranaga?

That would be a very New York thing to do, but there's no evidence that Tomasson has started  behaving like that. Scheller spent most of a year in recovery and probably decided that she just didn't want to work so hard on rep she wasn't as interested in - like contemporary and new works. It's just ironic that she was the first cast Aurora in Sleeping Beauty when she was injured.

Tomasson/SFB is lucky that Kuranaga actually harbored a desire to return to San Francisco after having been passed on many years ago (she was then a trainee with SFB). Fortunately, Kuranaga doesn't seem to harbor any resentments - she seems very "onward and upward" in her attitude.

9 hours ago, its the mom said:

Blaine Hoven deserves better. And does Sarah Lane. Both would be welcome additions to any company. And both have years of dancing left if they so choose. I wish they would go elsewhere. Sarah could do well in Europe. I would love to see her in Berlin or London (with Simkin or Cirio respectively.)

Trouble is, Kochetkova is getting the extra roles in Berlin with Simkin, and London has no shortage of eager young talent. I can't see the Royal needing to squeeze in another outsider. ENB maybe more likely.

Edited by pherank

Hmm more social media following:

Luis Ribagorda (Sarah's husband) does not follow Herman either, and he follows every other ABT principal, including Misty Copeland, Stella Abrera, David Hallberg, Gillian Murphy, Isabella Boylston, Daniil Simkin, James Whiteside, Devon Teuscher,  Christine Shevchenko, Veronika Part (former), Irina D. (former), Roberto Bolle (former), and numerous soloists like Cate Hurlin, Luciana Paris, Calvin Royal, Cassandra Trenary, Blaine Hoven, pretty much the entire company.

I’m really surprised Brooklyn Mack isn’t returning as a guest artist. I’m no advocate of guest artists (with the exception of a well-placed one or two, like Kim), but after his successful and popular appearances last summer I assumed he’d return. But, looking at the numbers alone, since three other guests are scheduled to appear I suppose one more would be too much.

I’m wondering if Simkin won’t have a much larger plate once more casting is released. He may very well have a lead in the new Ratmansky, who chooses him regularly. And, maybe he’ll debut as Desire with Lane. The fast footwork would suit him well. Those TBA’s may be to see how he, and others who may debut, adapts to that style. I also just recalled that he’s done T&V with Lane before, so that’s a possibility (and has renewed my hope that maybe she’ll get that ballet again). Fancy Free is also in his repertoire as is Bluebird. But, it’s still surprising that he isn’t doing Siegfried.

Now, Hoven. He danced SO much this past season and in many debuts: Lankendem, Lescaut, Bluebird, Pierrot. I saw most of them and he killed it so it makes no sense why he’s been left out this year (he’s no Hammoudi). So, I’m holding out hope that he will get a bunch of TBA’s and be cast in the new Ratmansky. I think he’d be terrific in T&V - much, much better than Gorak. And, as I’ve already suggested, as Desire with Lane or Brandt. He would also be great in Fancy Free. I’m excited for all the other male soloists getting debuts, but Hoven should be too.

Edited by ABT Fan
1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I'’m wondering if Simkin won’t have a much larger plate once more casting is released. He may very well have a lead in the new Ratmansky, who chooses him regularly. And, maybe he’ll debut as Desire with Lane. The fast footwork would suit him well. Those TBA’s may be to see how he, and others who may debut, adapts to that style. I also just recalled that he’s done T&V with Lane before, so that’s a possibility (and has renewed my hope that maybe she’ll get that ballet again). Fancy Free is also in his repertoire as is Bluebird. But, it’s still surprising that he isn’t doing Siegfried

That's all something to ponder. It's still months away and there's plenty of time for casting to be changed. I'm not too keen on the new "Of Love and Rage" but would definitely see a Lane/Simkin cast. I'd hope the tba on Lane's Sleeping Beauty was being held for Cornejo but given the breakup of their partnership, I'd gladly welcome Simkin. He certainly has the technical skills for that ballet. I hadn't thought of Simkin for T&V but now am really hoping he's cast, to see Lane perform it with a steady partner would entice me to buy a ticket.

(At this point, I'll see any Lane performance regardless of partner. Who knows how many shows she had left. I'll see any Cornejo show with Brandt or Trenary. Still not sure how I feel about that bayadere with Boylston.) 

On another note, I recently saw on Skylar Brandt's Instagram story that she reposted a fan congratulating her performance and saying that they couldn't wait to see her Giselle. I messaged Brandt, asking if that meant she was going to be debuting Giselle in the spring. She responded by saying that she doesn't know yet but she had her fingers crossed. So I guess that means there's still a decent chance that she might make her Giselle debut. Or maybe she's an understudy and hopes she'll get to go on. From her brief Giselle on that Russian T.V. show, I think she'd be a lovely Giselle.

24 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

That's probably wishful thinking on Brandt's part. I'm guessing the TBA will be either Shevchenko (who is already cast as Giselle for the Met Season) or a guest artist. 

I'd be surprised by a guest artist, since it's on tour, but a Shevchenko/Royal/Hurlin cast (since all three are TBA) seems quite possible.