CTballetfan

Spring 2020 New York Season

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed that the first portion of the Met Seasons casting is now up. TBAs for The Rose in The Seasons. Lane is only cast in 3 performances of the Met Season as opposed to say Hee Seo who is cast in 14 performances. Something is brewing here...

10 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but I noticed that the first portion of the Met Seasons casting is now up. TBAs for The Rose in The Seasons. Lane is only cast in 3 performances of the Met Season as opposed to say Hee Seo who is cast in 14 performances. Something is brewing here...

I saw that too. I was too upset to post about it. Lane not only has far fewer scheduled performances than all of the other female principals, but also fewer than soloists Brandt and Trenary. Why TBA for The Rose? Lane created that role. Even if she is given the lead in the new Ratmansky and at least two shows of that, it still won’t make up for the lack of casting in other things. 

1 hour ago, Fleurfairy said:

I don't suppose we'll ever know what's going on, unless somebody lets it all hang out in an interview. But there are several first-rate companies where she could be happy -- San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia -- I hope she is able to make a move that's mutually beneficial. I would happily go see her with any of those companies. 

I was surprised that only one of the three casts of T&V from the Fall is coming back in the Spring.  I understand that Teuscher is doing Lilac Garden on the same program, but she was so good I'm disappointed she's not reprising her role  in T&V.  I'm surprised about Lane being shut out, but not surprised that we won't see Gorak again in T&V.  He did a poor job, in my opinion.  I am thrilled that Shevchenko will debut in T&V.

46 minutes ago, abatt said:

I am thrilled that Shevchenko will debut in T&V.

I am thrilled to see Shevchenko in anything. She's my go-to ballerina right now at ABT.

[Admin Beanie On]

Come on people, you've all been on this board long enough to know not to post what I've had to remove, nor to take the bait to reply.

[Admin Beanie Off]

6 hours ago, angelica said:

I am thrilled to see Shevchenko in anything. She's my go-to ballerina right now at ABT.

I am really looking forward to seeing her and Forster (in his debut) in SL. She was excellent with Whiteside this past season, but with Forster I predict it will be a performance not to be missed.

15 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I am really looking forward to seeing her and Forster (in his debut) in SL. She was excellent with Whiteside this past season, but with Forster I predict it will be a performance not to be missed.

I can't wait. I so much hope you are right!

It looks like Forster and Shevchenko will likely be one of the principal couples in the new Ratmansky full-length (what a season for Forster!). Macaulay posted photos of them performing a pas de deux from the ballet at the Met Museum (apparently Ratmansky has drawn inspiration from several works in the Greek and Roman collection).

These two costumes appear to be quite lovely: 

Edited by fondoffouettes

10 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I saw that too. I was too upset to post about it. Lane not only has far fewer scheduled performances than all of the other female principals, but also fewer than soloists Brandt and Trenary. Why TBA for The Rose? Lane created that role. Even if she is given the lead in the new Ratmansky and at least two shows of that, it still won’t make up for the lack of casting in other things. 

I completely concur. I am so upset by this devastating news regarding Lane's lack of casting. She is in her prime, it's not like she's in her retirement season. This seems to be further proof that management is forcing Lane out like Part, taking away shows until Lane leaves voluntarily or her contract simply isn't renewed. This is all leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'm all for the advancement of homegrown dancers and a big fan of soloists like Trenary, Brandt and Hurlin. But not at the cost of veterans like Lane and Abrera. Those two have had their careers severely mismanaged, suffered from the guest star policy, and now are being passed over for fresher faces. Like I said, a very bitter taste in my mouth. It will be hard to look forward to this met season. 

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

It looks like Forster and Shevchenko will likely be one of the principal couples in the new Ratmansky full-length (what a season for Forster!). Macaulay posted photos of them performing a pas de deux from the ballet at the Met Museum (apparently Ratmansky has drawn inspiration from several works in the Greek and Roman.

Wow, thank you for posting this. They both look gorgeous. I sure hope Forster is eating his Wheaties in preparation for the upcoming season. What a load of debuts he will have. I’m thrilled he’s finally getting his due (and hopefully a promotion).

1 hour ago, Lena C. said:

I completely concur. I am so upset by this devastating news regarding Lane's lack of casting. She is in her prime, it's not like she's in her retirement season. This seems to be further proof that management is forcing Lane out like Part, taking away shows until Lane leaves voluntarily or her contract simply isn't renewed. This is all leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'm all for the advancement of homegrown dancers and a big fan of soloists like Trenary, Brandt and Hurlin. But not at the cost of veterans like Lane and Abrera. Those two have had their careers severely mismanaged, suffered from the guest star policy, and now are being passed over for fresher faces. Like I said, a very bitter taste in my mouth. It will be hard to look forward to this met season. 

This is why I won't be in NY this summer. Next summer as well perhaps. My plans could change at anytime since I now work remotely and have a ton of flexibility, but I doubt they'll change. I'm not giving ABT any more money. Giselle in DC and that's it. You guys will have to tell me about the new Ratmansky because I doubt I'll ever get to witness that piece.

This isn't about Lane (I do like her a lot, not gonna lie). However, this is the cherry on top. Too many great artists have been shut out and for no good reason.

Sarah Lane has posted some clips from her 2018 Kitri debut on her social media. Kind of hard to watch, knowing the likely end of her partnership with Cornejo. Also not knowing if she'll be cast the next time ABT stages Don Q, given this coming season. 

2 hours ago, Lena C. said:

Sarah Lane has posted some clips from her 2018 Kitri debut on her social media. Kind of hard to watch, knowing the likely end of her partnership with Cornejo. Also not knowing if she'll be cast the next time ABT stages Don Q, given this coming season. 

I saw that clip. Wonderful!

She also recently posted a long clip of Nikiya. Also, beautiful.

National Ballet of Canada just sent out e-mail that they are co-producing Ratmanky's new Of Love and Rage and will perform it in their 2021-22 season in Toronto. No mention of their co-produced Tempest!

ofloveandrage-header01.jpg

Of Love and Rage by Alexei Ratmansky

Co-Produced with American Ballet Theatre
2021/22 Season

From the creator of Romeo and Juliet comes Of Love and Rage. This new full-length ballet by Alexei Ratmansky tells the epic tale of Callirhoe and her lover Chaereus and the daunting obstacles they must navigate.

“I am a great admirer of Alexei. His understanding of classical vocabulary is unmatched, and his ballets are always inventive and masterful. One of the highlights as Artistic Director was commissioning him to create a new Romeo and Juliet in 2011 and I could not be more delighted to add Of Love and Rage” – Karen Kain, Artistic Director

A co-production between The National Ballet of Canada and American Ballet Theatre (ABT), the world premiere will be performed by ABT in California in March 2020 and then in New York in June 2020. Of Love and Rage will make its Canadian premiere during the National Ballet’s 2021/22 season in Toronto.

FYI --  In addition to Of Love and Rage casting info being up now, Sarah Lane's R&J partner is now listed as Stearns, no longer Gorak... probably for the best. 

1 hour ago, JuliaJ said:

FYI --  In addition to Of Love and Rage casting info being up now, Sarah Lane's R&J partner is now listed as Stearns, no longer Gorak... probably for the best. 

I’ve never been a big fan of Stearns, but he’s a much better partner than Gorak so I’m glad. I won’t be biting my nails in fear of her being dropped.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:17 PM, ABT Fan said:

I saw that clip. Wonderful!

She also recently posted a long clip of Nikiya. Also, beautiful.

She has been posting many clips and many of the with Cornejo. I particularly enjoyed her 2nd act Giselle clip. Her Giselle was one of the best I've seen.

15 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Oh good, that gives me more of an incentive to make the trip down to the city for their performance. Nothing against Gorak, but I'm glad they are giving her a seasoned partner in this ballet.

20 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Oh what a relief! As Fleurfairy said, nothing against Gorak but after the shaky T&V I was worried about how he'd lift Lane in R&J. Stearns is a veteran in this ballet and a dependable partner. Plus, I really do like him and Lane together. Wonderful last fall in Some Assembly Required. Was hoping they'd be cast together this spring. Now I look forward to Lane's debut without any misgivings. 

Admittedly I'm disappointed that Lane wasn't cast for Of Love and Rage. Was hoping that Ratmansky would cast her and bump up her performances. Still, she could still get a secondary female role in the new ballet. At this point, I'm desperate for any additional shows for Lane. 

18 hours ago, vipa said:

She has been posting many clips and many of the with Cornejo. I particularly enjoyed her 2nd act Giselle clip. Her Giselle was one of the best I've seen.

Yes, those clips are divine! Wonderful to relive those special moments. Especially since we'll likely never see Lane and Cornejo dance together again. Her Giselle is unmatched. In my opinion, Lane is the best Giselle in the company. Going to D.C. just for her.

Cory Stearns has commented on his public Instagram (in the comments section in response to someone else) that he’s cast in Love and Rage. Since the principal casting has already been released, I assume that there are plum secondary roles and that he’s referring to that. Ratmansky does create a lot of such parts and it sounds like this ballet would require it. So hopefully we’ll see some great opportunities for Lane, Hoven, and a few others who so far have been cast dismally for the Met at best.

58 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

So, so wonderful to see this.

I will definitely be there!

5 minutes ago, angelica said:

I will definitely be there!

Me, too! I was planning on most of R&J week, especially to see debuts by Lane and Bell, regardless of their partners. I'm not a big Stearns fan, but he'll be a great partner for a much-deserved debut by Lane.