This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

Forster has now been cast as Prince Desire opposite Hurlin for the matinee on 6/17!

I really think this could be his year to be promoted. Debuts as Albrecht, Siegfried, Romeo AND Desire! (OMG, that's a lot in a short amount of time....)

Lane and Brandt's Desires are still TBD.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Forster has now been cast as Prince Desire opposite Hurlin for the matinee on 6/17!

I really think this could be his year to be promoted. Debuts as Albrecht, Siegfried, Romeo AND Desire! (OMG, that's a lot in a short amount of time....)

This is certainly Forster's big chance at a promotion, with all of these new important roles.  Fingers and toes crossed that he stays healthy and does well in all of these assignments.  The amount of new material he will be learning for the spring season seems overwhelming. 

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Wow, that's quite a lot! In addition to his Rochester in Jane Eyre. Hopefully he makes it through without injury. I'm so happy he's finally being given these opportunities. I'll be surprised if he's not promoted along with Bell. Probably not Royal but then again Royal is getting Romeo and Albrecht. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

This is certainly Forster's big chance at a promotion, with all of these new important roles.  Fingers and toes crossed that he stays healthy and does well in all of these assignments.  The amount of new material he will be learning for the spring season seems overwhelming. 

That strikes me as well --wish he had done one or two of these already ...but here's hoping!

1 hour ago, Drew said:

That strikes me as well --wish he had done one or two of these already ...but here's hoping!

I'm thrilled with this news! I may need to do a Sleeping Beauty double-header that Wednesday. 

At least he's getting an Albrecht and Siegfried when ABT is on the road, so that should help a bit. But yes, it's still a lot to take on for the spring season. 

Good for Forster. If he nails those roles, he has to get promoted. I wouldn't be surprised if Bell gets promoted again. We're down to two full time male principals (sorry but Cornejo seems to be starting to retire roles and he's very injury prone; has always been and now that he's flirting with 40 it won't get easier).

Finger crossed that all goes well.

In other news, did anyone else see Brandt's Instagram audition for T&V? It may not have worked out for Giselle, but maybe this one will work out. We shall see.

I didn't really take Brandt's Instagram posts to be an audition for T&V, as I believe she was dancing the demi-soloist role in all the videos she posted. If they'd shown her rehearsing bits of the principal role, then I'd feel differently. They certainly highlighted her technical prowess, but then again, so do all of her videos.

True, if she had a coach with her teaching her the lead part then that'd be a serious auditions. Nonetheless, so many back to back posts aren't for nothing. Well, I'm sure we'll get to watch her dance the ballerina role eventually. Maybe sooner than we think if they keep giving the cold shoulder.

Also, with her skills, her T&V is one I'd want to witness some day.

13 minutes ago, Leah said:

I loved their Symphonie Concertante and hope they do it again soon.

I agree. That looked much better than most ABT Balanchine. And I'd hate to see that work go completely out of the repertoire of a NYC company, however unlikely it may be that they'll do it again very soon.

42 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I didn't really take Brandt's Instagram posts to be an audition for T&V, as I believe she was dancing the demi-soloist role in all the videos she posted. If they'd shown her rehearsing bits of the principal role, then I'd feel differently. They certainly highlighted her technical prowess, but then again, so do all of her videos.

Yeah, I really don't think those videos should be construed as an audition for the ballerina role, given that she just recently performed the demi (no?), and so it's no surprise that material from that role would be showing up in her feed.

Edited by nanushka

I say this as a big fan of Skylar Brandt the dancer, but all of her Instagram posts seem like auditions. The good thing is that it's also a compelling look at the usually invisible work dancers do to get a role. And I certainly prefer her method of self-promotion to the ballerinas who just hawk leotards and other promotions. But still ... to me it's really obvious she's auditioning.

3 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I agree, and I really like these postings. Even though I've seen the ballet many, many times there are sections in which I'm so focused on the principal that I don't pay a lot of attention to the demi-soloists. This gave me a new appreciation for how much dancing they do, and how difficult it is. 

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

Yes!!! I felt the same way. It was amazing to see the difficulty of the demi-soloist choreography in isolation from the rest of the ballet.

Agreed. That choreography is so fast and complex I had to watch the clips about five times to even begin to understand it! I love seeing dance clips on Instagram and am glad Brandt posts frequently.

Not a fan of anyone of any profession tooting their own horn constantly. I know that's what social media if for to an extent, but Brandt goes above and beyond with the endless videos of her own dancing as well as reposts of everyone who comments or posts a story about her. I find it tacky. But I guess this is what gets you promoted at ABT, Home of Misty Copeland.

33 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Not a fan of anyone of any profession tooting their own horn constantly. I know that's what social media if for to an extent, but Brandt goes above and beyond with the endless videos of her own dancing as well as reposts of everyone who comments or posts a story about her. I find it tacky. But I guess this is what gets you promoted at ABT, Home of Misty Copeland.

I would venture a guess that she is disappointed in her casting in the upcoming spring season, although there are still possibilities left open.

I'm sure that if they were doing DonQ she would have gotten a Kitri. She has really paid her dues all the way from JKO, through Studio Company, through corps, and is ready for more principal roles.

Someone remarked above thread that she looks so happy when she's dancing that maybe she doesn't yet have the soul for an O/O or Juliet. Does anyone think of her as a soubrette dancer?

7 minutes ago, angelica said:

Someone remarked above thread that she looks so happy when she's dancing that maybe she doesn't yet have the soul for an O/O or Juliet. Does anyone think of her as a soubrette dancer?

Jane Eyre was not my favorite last spring but I have to say that Brandt was mesmerising as young Jane. She certainly had the deep, emotional maturity to play/dance this troubled girl. The way her family abused her and her reactions were quite similar to the family dynamics of Juliet and her parents. Brandt is known for her bright, happy dancing but I'd definitely say her Young Jane proved her deep capacity for emotional, soulful dancing. 

53 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I think it is very unjustified to call sharing videos of her dancing as "tooting their own horn constantly."

She is a dancer. She posts videos of her dancing. She isn't advertising other things--she's showing a rare glimpse of her process and progress.

She's also a very good dancer, who I think richly deserves a promotion for her dancing...which is precisely what she's showing on social media. Her dancing.

I really don't understand the indignation about it on here. If one is a fan of dance (which I assume we all are) why the intense criticizing of a dancer for providing increased access to just that.

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Also, this is what Instagram is for. If you follow a dancer you’re signing up for their self-promotion. And more dancing videos, than say sponsorships for random leotard companies, is always a good thing.

I much prefer behind-the-scenes rehearsal footage over endless mirror selfies or glossy shots promoting a leotard line. It's interesting to see the process, and sometimes dancers are able to accomplish extraordinary things in rehearsal (five- or six-revolution pirouettes) that never make it to the stage. 

Regarding Brandt resposting fan posts in her Instagram Stories, I see this as a nice way of acknowledging fans. Mearns routinely does this after a performance, when people post photos of her curtain calls, often accompanied by adulatory language. It can feel nice to know an artist saw your post and acknowledged your appreciation of them. Brandt seems to have a lot of young dancer fans who really look up to her.

Edited by fondoffouettes