This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

Hmm more social media following:

Luis Ribagorda (Sarah's husband) does not follow Herman either, and he follows every other ABT principal, including Misty Copeland, Stella Abrera, David Hallberg, Gillian Murphy, Isabella Boylston, Daniil Simkin, James Whiteside, Devon Teuscher,  Christine Shevchenko, Veronika Part (former), Irina D. (former), Roberto Bolle (former), and numerous soloists like Cate Hurlin, Luciana Paris, Calvin Royal, Cassandra Trenary, Blaine Hoven, pretty much the entire company.

I’m really surprised Brooklyn Mack isn’t returning as a guest artist. I’m no advocate of guest artists (with the exception of a well-placed one or two, like Kim), but after his successful and popular appearances last summer I assumed he’d return. But, looking at the numbers alone, since three other guests are scheduled to appear I suppose one more would be too much.

I’m wondering if Simkin won’t have a much larger plate once more casting is released. He may very well have a lead in the new Ratmansky, who chooses him regularly. And, maybe he’ll debut as Desire with Lane. The fast footwork would suit him well. Those TBA’s may be to see how he, and others who may debut, adapts to that style. I also just recalled that he’s done T&V with Lane before, so that’s a possibility (and has renewed my hope that maybe she’ll get that ballet again). Fancy Free is also in his repertoire as is Bluebird. But, it’s still surprising that he isn’t doing Siegfried.

Now, Hoven. He danced SO much this past season and in many debuts: Lankendem, Lescaut, Bluebird, Pierrot. I saw most of them and he killed it so it makes no sense why he’s been left out this year (he’s no Hammoudi). So, I’m holding out hope that he will get a bunch of TBA’s and be cast in the new Ratmansky. I think he’d be terrific in T&V - much, much better than Gorak. And, as I’ve already suggested, as Desire with Lane or Brandt. He would also be great in Fancy Free. I’m excited for all the other male soloists getting debuts, but Hoven should be too.

Edited by ABT Fan
1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I'’m wondering if Simkin won’t have a much larger plate once more casting is released. He may very well have a lead in the new Ratmansky, who chooses him regularly. And, maybe he’ll debut as Desire with Lane. The fast footwork would suit him well. Those TBA’s may be to see how he, and others who may debut, adapts to that style. I also just recalled that he’s done T&V with Lane before, so that’s a possibility (and has renewed my hope that maybe she’ll get that ballet again). Fancy Free is also in his repertoire as is Bluebird. But, it’s still surprising that he isn’t doing Siegfried

That's all something to ponder. It's still months away and there's plenty of time for casting to be changed. I'm not too keen on the new "Of Love and Rage" but would definitely see a Lane/Simkin cast. I'd hope the tba on Lane's Sleeping Beauty was being held for Cornejo but given the breakup of their partnership, I'd gladly welcome Simkin. He certainly has the technical skills for that ballet. I hadn't thought of Simkin for T&V but now am really hoping he's cast, to see Lane perform it with a steady partner would entice me to buy a ticket.

(At this point, I'll see any Lane performance regardless of partner. Who knows how many shows she had left. I'll see any Cornejo show with Brandt or Trenary. Still not sure how I feel about that bayadere with Boylston.) 

On another note, I recently saw on Skylar Brandt's Instagram story that she reposted a fan congratulating her performance and saying that they couldn't wait to see her Giselle. I messaged Brandt, asking if that meant she was going to be debuting Giselle in the spring. She responded by saying that she doesn't know yet but she had her fingers crossed. So I guess that means there's still a decent chance that she might make her Giselle debut. Or maybe she's an understudy and hopes she'll get to go on. From her brief Giselle on that Russian T.V. show, I think she'd be a lovely Giselle.

42 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I wouldn't call that "spring," but I suppose that might be what she has in mind.

Oh that's probably what she meant. I'm the one who asked about the spring. There's also the possibility of being an understudy.

24 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

That's probably wishful thinking on Brandt's part. I'm guessing the TBA will be either Shevchenko (who is already cast as Giselle for the Met Season) or a guest artist. 

I'd be surprised by a guest artist, since it's on tour, but a Shevchenko/Royal/Hurlin cast (since all three are TBA) seems quite possible.

Forster has now been cast as Prince Desire opposite Hurlin for the matinee on 6/17!

I really think this could be his year to be promoted. Debuts as Albrecht, Siegfried, Romeo AND Desire! (OMG, that's a lot in a short amount of time....)

Lane and Brandt's Desires are still TBD.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Forster has now been cast as Prince Desire opposite Hurlin for the matinee on 6/17!

I really think this could be his year to be promoted. Debuts as Albrecht, Siegfried, Romeo AND Desire! (OMG, that's a lot in a short amount of time....)

This is certainly Forster's big chance at a promotion, with all of these new important roles.  Fingers and toes crossed that he stays healthy and does well in all of these assignments.  The amount of new material he will be learning for the spring season seems overwhelming. 

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Wow, that's quite a lot! In addition to his Rochester in Jane Eyre. Hopefully he makes it through without injury. I'm so happy he's finally being given these opportunities. I'll be surprised if he's not promoted along with Bell. Probably not Royal but then again Royal is getting Romeo and Albrecht. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

This is certainly Forster's big chance at a promotion, with all of these new important roles.  Fingers and toes crossed that he stays healthy and does well in all of these assignments.  The amount of new material he will be learning for the spring season seems overwhelming. 

That strikes me as well --wish he had done one or two of these already ...but here's hoping!

1 hour ago, Drew said:

That strikes me as well --wish he had done one or two of these already ...but here's hoping!

I'm thrilled with this news! I may need to do a Sleeping Beauty double-header that Wednesday. 

At least he's getting an Albrecht and Siegfried when ABT is on the road, so that should help a bit. But yes, it's still a lot to take on for the spring season. 

Good for Forster. If he nails those roles, he has to get promoted. I wouldn't be surprised if Bell gets promoted again. We're down to two full time male principals (sorry but Cornejo seems to be starting to retire roles and he's very injury prone; has always been and now that he's flirting with 40 it won't get easier).

Finger crossed that all goes well.

In other news, did anyone else see Brandt's Instagram audition for T&V? It may not have worked out for Giselle, but maybe this one will work out. We shall see.

There are only four performances of T&V in the spring, correct? Teuscher, Boylston, and Lane all did it in the fall, so unless one of them drops out and one of the others gets just one performance I don’t think Brandt has a chance. (I did see and like what she did on Instagram.)

I didn't really take Brandt's Instagram posts to be an audition for T&V, as I believe she was dancing the demi-soloist role in all the videos she posted. If they'd shown her rehearsing bits of the principal role, then I'd feel differently. They certainly highlighted her technical prowess, but then again, so do all of her videos.

True, if she had a coach with her teaching her the lead part then that'd be a serious auditions. Nonetheless, so many back to back posts aren't for nothing. Well, I'm sure we'll get to watch her dance the ballerina role eventually. Maybe sooner than we think if they keep giving the cold shoulder.

Also, with her skills, her T&V is one I'd want to witness some day.

I really wish they'd actually retire all Balanchine from their repertoire. Their Balanchine is danced at a horrifyingly bad level. Unless they're willing to invest serious money in some coaching I don't see it getting better. 

13 minutes ago, Leah said:

I loved their Symphonie Concertante and hope they do it again soon.

I agree. That looked much better than most ABT Balanchine. And I'd hate to see that work go completely out of the repertoire of a NYC company, however unlikely it may be that they'll do it again very soon.

42 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I didn't really take Brandt's Instagram posts to be an audition for T&V, as I believe she was dancing the demi-soloist role in all the videos she posted. If they'd shown her rehearsing bits of the principal role, then I'd feel differently. They certainly highlighted her technical prowess, but then again, so do all of her videos.

Yeah, I really don't think those videos should be construed as an audition for the ballerina role, given that she just recently performed the demi (no?), and so it's no surprise that material from that role would be showing up in her feed.

Edited by nanushka

I say this as a big fan of Skylar Brandt the dancer, but all of her Instagram posts seem like auditions. The good thing is that it's also a compelling look at the usually invisible work dancers do to get a role. And I certainly prefer her method of self-promotion to the ballerinas who just hawk leotards and other promotions. But still ... to me it's really obvious she's auditioning.