This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

12 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Edited to add: Oops, @abatt, it seems I was posting the same info about Forster just as you were. 

Not a problem.  Good news should be repeated often!

Calvin got two Romeos and an Albrecht!!

Gorak got back his Romeo role for one show, and also got two Deisire performances.

Hoven and Hammoudi got zip.

added:  Shevchenko is getting one Giselle (plus a Myrta). 

Edited by abatt
7 minutes ago, abatt said:

Not a problem.  Good news should be repeated often!

YES! I think this could really be Forster's year if all goes well. 😃

And I just noticed his Albrecht is opposite Shevchenko (in her role debut, I believe), and both of his SL's are opposite her, as well (could be the makings of a great partnership).

Edited by fondoffouettes

One other takeaway as I'm absorbing this...Brandt gets just one performance of a principal role, her debut as Aurora, whereas Trenary gets Gamzatti, Juliet and two Auroras. I wonder if management is thinking of Trenary as being slightly ahead of Brandt on the promotion track. Stella's departure will presumably open up a spot.

Edited by fondoffouettes

Sadly, Cornejo is again cast in SL with Copeland.  I would like to see him again in this role, but.....

Ahn got one lead.  I already closed out of the calendar so I have already forgotten what role.  Senior moment.

Edited by abatt
9 minutes ago, abatt said:

Sadly, Cornejo is again cast in SL with Copeland.  I would like to see him again in this role, but.....

My feelings exactly. Maybe one will turn into a Lane SL; fingers crossed. 

I also just noticed that Simkin is only slated for one performance the entire season, opposite Lane in Giselle. Wow. I'd expected him to be fully engaged for the Met season, but I guess now he's like a Hallberg. 

And Bell is dancing every major male lead -- Solor, Albrecht, Romeo, Prince Desire, Siegfried. Wow. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

The casting has me torn. Yes, Lane is finally getting her Juliet but with a lackluster partner. After their Manon, how could Lane not be put with Cornejo? Despite being one of the best Giselle's in the company, she's been put into the matinee. No Bayadere or Swan Lake. Lane, it seems, is definitely getting the short end of the stick this spring. And only one performance each of SB, RJ and Giselle. I just hope she's cast in Love and Rage. 

I'm happy that Brandt is getting her own Sleeping Beauty. But the fact that Trenary got the coveted Juliet as well as Bayadere and SB, says to me that Trenary is ahead of Brandt on track for promotion. 

I'm also thrilled for Forster, this could really be his season if all goes well. A promotion at the end wouldn't surprise me. 

The calendar is showing both Forster and Royal dancing Albrecht in the 6/10 matinee of Giselle, opposite Shevchenko. Presumably one of them should have been assigned to the evening performance, with Murphy, which currently lacks an Albrecht. I guess that will be Forster, since he's dancing it with her when they are on the road. 

23 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

My feelings exactly. Maybe one will turn into a Lane SL; fingers crossed. 

I also just noticed that Simkin is only slated for one performance the entire season, opposite Lane in Giselle. Wow. I'd expected him to be fully engaged for the Met season, but I guess now he's like a Hallberg. 

And Bell is dancing every major male lead -- Solor, Albrecht, Romeo, Prince Desire, Siegfried. Wow. 

Fingers crossed indeed! I'd even take another Lane/Odile over nothing at all. With two performances you never know...

I'm pretty shocked re Simkin. That one Giselle might as well be a quest artist appearance. I'd hoped for a RJ with Lane but at least they're together for Giselle...perhaps we'll see him in Love and Rage, it's right before Giselle. (And presumably why Giselle has been cut short.) 

Bell's promotion is a forgone conclusion but hopefully Forster is on the rise as well. With Simkin on the same level as Hallberg, ABT needs make principals more than ever. 

Interesting economics dynamic.  Did ticket sales fall so much that McKenzie knew he hadt to bring in the big guns like Osipova, Smirnova and Kim to boost sales?  I'm looking forward to seeing Osipova more than Hallberg, but they arrive as a package deal apparently.   Also, since every performance of SL is usually a sell out regardless of who is performing, they finally bit the bullet and added more shows to improve overall sales. 

No Don Q or Corsaire is a surprise. 

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude on the new Ratmansky.  Fortunately it will be reviewed out of town before it comes to NYC, so we can at least get some idea of its quality.  I hope it is not a one hour 15 minute ballet that they are stretching out to be two acts, as they have often done.

Sad to see that Herman is no longer dancing Desire.  His performance of the difficult solo in the wedding act was impeccable, and nobody else who did the role at ABT came close to Herman's breathtaking performance.

Edited by abatt
41 minutes ago, abatt said:

Sad to see that Herman is no longer dancing Desire.  His performance of the difficult solo in the wedding act was impeccable, and nobody else who did the role at ABT came close to Herman's breathtaking performance.

I agree; he was superb last season. I was wondering if perhaps he'd get the TBA with Lane and/or Brandt. Perhaps they are waiting to see how he's doing physically closer to the season, as he's had injury-prone Met seasons the past few years? I guess it would be likelier they'd fill those TBAs with a more junior dancer making his debut, but one can always hope...

Regarding economics, they've also supersized the run of Romeo and Juliet. 

I'd like to see Osipova, but I'm just not sure I can stomach The Hallberg and Osipova Show. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Geez, where to begin. So many surprises, and disappointments.....

Lane: gets screwed...again (why am I surprised?). She FINALLY gets a Juliet, but not with Cornejo??? And, with a terrible partner instead? No Nikiya reprisal. One Giselle and a matinee, again? One Aurora.

Shevchenko: gets a Giselle?! I would never have thought of her for Giselle. But, who is her partner? I guess she will take the TBA on tour in February. I'm thrilled she gets two SL's, and with Forster.

Abrera: it's too bad we won't get to see her Lilac Fairy again.

Hurlin: wow, gets a Gamzatti debut and Aurora and Myrta (we knew that one from the tour schedule). She's obviously getting a lead in the new Ratmansky, if judging by the photo with Bell. Clearly, they are really pushing her hard and fast.

K Williams: only gets Myrta. No other debuts.

Trenary: happy she gets a Juliet debut, I just wish they put Cornejo with Lane instead. Agree, that she seems to be on track for principal with Juliet, Gamzatti and Aurora this season.

Brandt: Aurora debut, but not the Giselle she wanted. Or, a Gamzatti reprisal. Or, anything else. Surprising.

Simkin: is he going the way of a la Hallberg? Or, should we expect him to leave soon?

Forster: I think this could be his year to get promoted! Romeo! Albrecht! Siegfried! Wow.

Hoven: Yeesh. Nada. I don't understand.

Royal: wow, Romeo, Albrecht! (Though, I have doubts he'll be able to handle the bravura dancing of Albrecht.)

Fancy Free - really, again? They couldn't have chosen a less-performed "Then" ballet? How about some de Mille and Fall River Legend.

Gathering of Ghosts - I knew that would come back. Blah.

Thank goodness no Whipped Cream or Harlequinade.

Glad Jane Eyre is returning (I know I'm in the minority, but I loved it last year).

Sleeping Beauty TBA's: is it possible Cornejo will be cast with Lane? And, who will take the other 2?

17 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Geez, where to begin. So many surprises, and disappointments.....

Lane: gets screwed...again (why am I surprised?). She FINALLY gets a Juliet, but not with Cornejo??? And, with a terrible partner instead? No Nikiya reprisal. One Giselle and a matinee, again? One Aurora.

Shevchenko: gets a Giselle?! I would never have thought of her for Giselle. But, who is her partner? I guess she will take the TBA on tour in February. I'm thrilled she gets two SL's, and with Forster.

Abrera: it's too bad we won't get to see her Lilac Fairy again.

Hurlin: wow, gets a Gamzatti debut and Aurora and Myrta (we knew that one from the tour schedule). She's obviously getting a lead in the new Ratmansky, if judging by the photo with Bell. Clearly, they are really pushing her hard and fast.

K Williams: only gets Myrta. No other debuts.

Trenary: happy she gets a Juliet debut, I just wish they put Cornejo with Lane instead. Agree, that she seems to be on track for principal with Juliet, Gamzatti and Aurora this season.

Brandt: Aurora debut, but not the Giselle she wanted. Or, a Gamzatti reprisal. Or, anything else. Surprising.

Simkin: is he going the way of a la Hallberg? Or, should we expect him to leave soon?

Forster: I think this could be his year to get promoted! Romeo! Albrecht! Siegfried! Wow.

Hoven: Yeesh. Nada. I don't understand.

Royal: wow, Romeo, Albrecht! (Though, I have doubts he'll be able to handle the bravura dancing of Albrecht.)

Fancy Free - really, again? They couldn't have chosen a less-performed "Then" ballet? How about some de Mille and Fall River Legend.

Gathering of Ghosts - I knew that would come back. Blah.

Thank goodness no Whipped Cream or Harlequinade.

Glad Jane Eyre is returning (I know I'm in the minority, but I loved it last year).

Sleeping Beauty TBA's: is it possible Cornejo will be cast with Lane? And, who will take the other 2?

Completely agree with the disappointments: Lane 😔 and IMHO Hurlin is technically good but both her and Bell are quite young and needs time to grow yet into their roles, I know I will be the minority here, I know most audiences love technique and tricks but it should not sacrifice emotional connection. It is unfortunate for those seasoned dancers not given the chance like Hoven and where is Paris? Seems there is the ticket sales factor and as Hamrick says in her interview, it is "politics". So happy for Forster to get his break finally!!!

Edited by stuben
typo

On the bright side, I'm saving myself a lot of money by not traveling to NYC and buying a bunch of tickets.

Romeo is a whole lot of lifting and they pair up Lane with the worst lifter? No Lane/Cornejo, no interestng Bayadere show, two O/O's for a ballerina who can't do the steps, oh and jane Eyre again???

It's clear that ABT is beginning to "phase out" Lane the way they did with Part.

Re promotions: it's obvious that Trenary is being promoted. I've always felt that ABT management preferred Trenary over Brandt and casting is showing that. In the not too far future, I see Hurlin being promoted before Brandt as well. I think they see her as the new Murphy, red hair and all. As for the guys, perhaps Forster will get principal now? What about Bell? It's unusual to go from corps to principal in such a short time, but it could happen.

Last but not least, and speaking of Murphy, I'm surprised she has so much considering the MET season starts less than a year after a c-section. I hope she doesn't push herself too much to be back in MET shape on time. That's risking injury on someone who's already been injury prone the last few years.

9 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but are Lane and Cornejo not cast together at all?

Yup, nothing. Nothing at all.

7 minutes ago, Lena C. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but are Lane and Cornejo not cast together at all?

That's correct. It's as if McKenzie sees a great thing, but decides, Nah!, for inexplicable reasons.

4 minutes ago, stuben said:

Completely agree with the disappointments: Lane 😔 and IMHO Hurlin is technically good but both her and Bell is quite young and needs time to grow yet into their roles, I know I will be the minority here, I know most audiences love technique and tricks but it should not sacrifice emotional connection. It is unfortunate for those seasoned dancers not given the chance like Hoven and where is Paris? Seems there is the ticket sales factor and as Hamrick says in her interview, it is "politics". So happy for Forster to get his break finally!!!

Hurlin and Bell do need time to grow for sure. But, McKenzie is now sacrificing the dancers in their prime, though he's clearly never been a fan of Lane (I'm not against Hurlin or Bell getting opportunities, quite the opposite.) 

Hoven's absence is perplexing. He's been dancing exceptionally well. Paris, is really a solid soloist; she's never been on the principal track IMO. I'm not surprised she wasn't given any lead roles. Her debut as Princess Praline last year was only because Copeland was pulled. Otherwise, she's never had a major lead.

Glad Lane is getting a shot at Juliet. I will plan on being there for that debut! Let's hope Gorak is in the weight room as we speak building that upper body strength.

I don't think we need to see Gillian in the role of Giselle again but alas.... Glad also to see Cassie getting roles. I much prefer her dancing over Skylar Brandt's.

11 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

It's clear that ABT is beginning to "phase out" Lane the way they did with Part.

They absolutely are.

9 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Romeo is a whole lot of lifting and they pair up Lane with the worst lifter? No Lane/Cornejo, no interestng Bayadere show, two O/O's for a ballerina who can't do the steps, oh and jane Eyre again???

Oh God he is phasing Lane out!! I hadn't thought of Part but this is frighteningly similar. Giving Lane the weakest partner is all we need to know about McKenzie's attitude towards her. And on her debut no less! He knows what he's doing by denying Lane a decent partner and keeping her from Cornejo. Lane and Cornejo in RJ would be the highlight of the season and McKenzie seems determined to keep Lane back. 

26 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Re promotions: it's obvious that Trenary is being promoted. I've always felt that ABT management preferred Trenary over Brandt and casting is showing that. In the not too far future, I see Hurlin being promoted before Brandt as well. I think they see her as the new Murphy, red hair and all. As for the guys, perhaps Forster will get principal now? What about Bell? It's unusual to go from corps to principal in such a short time, but it could happen.

I'm going to be at Lane's Juliet with massive worry and hesitation, due to Gorak. I used to think they'd be dream casting for R&J (but also her with Cornejo), but that was before he showed a lack of improvement in the partnering area.

Lane had an exceptional Met season this past summer and mostly performances with Cornejo. It's inexplicable why she's not being given more opportunities and, and I'll say it again, nothing with Cornejo?!

I'd rather see Trenary be promoted if there's only one principal spot right now. She has an elegance and old-school grandeur and is naturally charming. Her technique is gorgeous. And, there's nothing show-offy about her presentation.

I always thought the AD thought of Teuscher as the new Murphy. In any case, Teuscher has been the new favorite since she was promoted; almost always two performances of everything and a lot of opening nights. I do think she's gorgeous in the right things and she does have exceptional technique. But, not in everything. I just don't get it. I wonder if Hurlin will be promoted before Brandt. I do hope they keep Bell as a soloist for at least another year. He's carrying a principal load now, but he needs time to develop and mature.

Edited by ABT Fan
2 hours ago, Leah said:

Blaine Hoven has been excellent in everything I’ve seen him in. What a shame. Gorak was awful in last year’s SB.

I completely agree regarding Gorak.  He was much weaker in last year's Sleeping Beauty than several years back with Boylston.  And after last week's T&V, I'm afraid I have to avoid him.
I feel quite bad for Lane who keeps getting stuck with him and whom I'd rather not avoid.  I would much rather see Gabe Stone Shayer get these opportunities, honestly.  He shone in Harliquinade and Whipped Cream, and he always seems to rise to the occasion.

Great news about Hurlin.  Also looking forward to Murphy's return and Kim's visit.

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

I'm going to be at Lane's Juliet with massive worry and hesitation, due to Gorak. I used to think they'd be dream casting for R&J (but also her with Cornejo), but that was before he showed a lack of improvement in the partnering area.

Lane had an exceptional Met season this past summer and mostly performances with Cornejo. It's inexplicable why she's not being given more opportunities and, and I'll say it again, nothing with Cornejo?!

Hear, hear! I'll be at that performance worried about Gorak dropping Lane. That is not how we should feel at her debut. I can only hope he improves his upper body strength by then. Or a casting change. 

Lane has more than proven herself. She and Cornejo are a legendary partnership. By keeping them apart, McKenzie lessens Lane. He's phasing her out, her ability and worthiness be damned. I've lost all respect for him.