This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

9 hours ago, cobweb said:

I could nitpick one or two of the choices, but overall this is great news. I notice they are going tall. Kikta and Miller are two of the tallest women in the company, LaFreniere and Hod aren't far behind, and Nadon is on the taller side of medium. Only von Enck is bringing up the short side. I too would love to see Kristen Segin in there! I imagine this means we'll be seeing some retirements among the female soloists. Pazcoguin and Adams are clearly not favored, and Pereira has shown a failure to progress. I also wonder about Megan LeCrone and Ashley Laracey, although they are used more widely and I hope they can stick around awhile longer, Laracey especially. 

I know it's unlikely but I would love a late promotion to principal for Laracey - especially as she danced so much last season and took a lot of Nutcracker strain! I can't understand why she never progressed up. 

Re these promotions: they are all deserved. Like you say, some of them are not personal favourites but nonetheless. I'm really happy for Miriam Miller - I will never forget her in Divertimento on the online broadcast. Just radiant with pure joy at being on the stage. I love Emma von Enck as well. Coquettish technicians are in short supply at the soloist rank.

All of the newly promoted soloists are still in their 20s, so the company is strategically promoting them while they're still relatively early in their careers and have time to potentially progress to principal level, which is great. All of the promotions are well deserved -- Kikta, Hod, and Miller in particular have been dancing soloist roles for years.

I can see why someone like Segin wouldn't be promoted. She's a little bit older and while she's excellent in her rep, I'm not sure how versatile she is beyond classical allegro ballets. Regarding Laracey, she's almost 40 so there would be little logic in promoting her at this point, especially when the principal rank currently has a lot of dancers who are getting closer to the end of their careers. Sad it didn't happen earlier for her. 

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

I could nitpick one or two of the choices, but overall this is great news. I notice they are going tall. Kikta and Miller are two of the tallest women in the company, LaFreniere and Hod aren't far behind, and Nadon is on the taller side of medium. Only von Enck is bringing up the short side. I too would love to see Kristen Segin in there! I imagine this means we'll be seeing some retirements among the female soloists. Pazcoguin and Adams are clearly not favored, and Pereira has shown a failure to progress. I also wonder about Megan LeCrone and Ashley Laracey, although they are used more widely and I hope they can stick around awhile longer, Laracey especially. 

I think its because their principals right now are stacked with short women -- Hyltin, Peck, Fairchild, Woodward, Bouder, are all short.

Congratulations to all the new soloists!

By the way, I received an email reminding me that I have tickets to Friday's performance and it shows that intermissions are back!

Friday, January 28, 2022 8:00 PM

This performance runs 1 Hr 57 Min

Mozartiana
Intermission
Rubies
Intermission
La Valse

3 hours ago, sohalia said:

I love promotions! Not surprise at all by all of these, well deserved. This is a big group, so I am curious as to who might be leaving like somebody said above.

I'm also still hoping for a Furlan promotion soon...

Contract renewals are coming up very soon.  It's possible that some soloist contracts simply will not be renewed.  Congrats to all the new soloists.  The one I find a bit surprising is Miriam Miller.  I think  she has a lot of potential, but she seems to have stalled since Peter Martins left.  

Edited by abatt
12 hours ago, nycvillager said:

Very glad to see the promotion for Kikta, so very deserved, and Chamblee.  I am in agreement with you on Segin. Happy for them all though. 

Also agreeing on Segin. She's been a joy to watch for years. It seem promotion is not in the cards for her.

4 hours ago, Chballetfan said:

I know it's unlikely but I would love a late promotion to principal for Laracey - especially as she danced so much last season and took a lot of Nutcracker strain! I can't understand why she never progressed up. 

Re these promotions: they are all deserved. Like you say, some of them are not personal favourites but nonetheless. I'm really happy for Miriam Miller - I will never forget her in Divertimento on the online broadcast. Just radiant with pure joy at being on the stage. I love Emma von Enck as well. Coquettish technicians are in short supply at the soloist rank.

Ashley Laracey has always been a stand out for me as well. I would love to see her promoted to principal.

Congratulations to all of the newly promoted dancers!

5 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Regarding Laracey, she's almost 40 so there would be little logic in promoting her at this point, especially when the principal rank currently has a lot of dancers who are getting closer to the end of their careers. Sad it didn't happen earlier for her. 

Sad to think that age should have anything to do with being promoted. Who really decides how long a dancer dances? Wendy W. danced way beyond 40. I think Ashley has many years left in her if she chooses. 

16 hours ago, Helene said:

I'm afraid that was the case for other siblings in the company over the years, where one sibling ended being a level higher than the other.  The only two I can recall that both were promoted to Principal were the Duell and Angle brothers, but I could be very wrong.

Megan and Robbie Fairchild were both principals

3 hours ago, abatt said:

The one I find a bit surprising is Miriam Miller.  I think  she has a lot of potential, but she seems to have stalled since Peter Martins left.  

I find the Miller and Hod promotions surprising. Miller took awhile to blossom, but I hear she did very well in her Diamonds in Saratoga last summer, so maybe that is a factor (and I was disappointed when Diamonds was cancelled for the Winter, because I was hoping to see her in it). I know a lot of people on here love Ashley Hod, but aside from her incredible limbs, I don't find her very interesting; she doesn't convey that quality of interiority that I especially love (see: Laracey). Given the surplus of tall women, I would have thought they might hesitate on these two for promotions. 

1 minute ago, cassieallison said:

Megan and Robbie Fairchild were both principals

Also, of course, Abi and Jonathan Stafford. 

7 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I find the Miller and Hod promotions surprising. Miller took awhile to blossom, but I hear she did very well in her Diamonds in Saratoga last summer, so maybe that is a factor (and I was disappointed when Diamonds was cancelled for the Winter, because I was hoping to see her in it). I know a lot of people on here love Ashley Hod, but aside from her incredible limbs, I don't find her very interesting; she doesn't convey that quality of interiority that I especially love (see: Laracey). Given the surplus of tall women, I would have thought they might hesitate on these two for promotions. 

Also, of course, Abi and Jonathan Stafford. 

I agree about Hod and would be surprised if she went any further. I’m intrigued by Emma Von Enck whom I don’t think I’ve seen featured that often, except perhaps as the female soloist in La Source — is my memory correct? As for what this means for the existing soloists don’t think there will be many retirements? Unless maybe Sean Suozzi is leaving. Do you think they would let dancers go? I do hope for a few promotions, including for Jovani Furlan and maybe Harrison Ball.

28 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

I can’t help but wonder how Mary Elizabeth Sell and Jenelle Menzi feel.  They are such long standing corps members.  You have to assume that they know the plan for themselves in the company after this long.  

There are always excellent and beautiful dancers who are senior corps for their career — Faye Arthurs, for instance. Though they don't get promoted, they certainly get to dance all the time which might be preferable than the permanent Soloist purgatory some dancers (like Erica Pereira or Sara Adams) find themselves in. I certainly don’t know!

18 hours ago, vagansmom said:

That's got to be tough for Claire Von Enck as she is about 4 or 5 years older than Emma and has been in corps much longer. I adore Claire's dancing as well as her sister's. 

I feel for Claire, too.  When she was a student at SAB, Martins selected her (along with Silas Farley) to demonstrate choreography during a special presentation in honor of Balanchine's birthday.  I viewed her as someone that Martins had his eye on.  However, Emma has emerged as a stronger dancer and that has played out in casting in recent years.  I'm not sure if it was under Martins or Stafford, but I viewed it as significant when she was cast in Barber Violin Concerto.  Three principals and Emma and she held her own.

Edited by Susu_nyc
36 minutes ago, abatt said:

Margaret Tracey was promoted to principal, but her sister Kathleen only made it to soloist.  Kathleen is now a ballet mistress at NYCB.

On the topic of siblings - there are the Angle brothers, both principals. Years ago there were the Borne sisters. I think they were in the corps for quite a while. Bonnie Borne, I believe left to be a soloist in another company and Elyse was eventually promoted to soloist at NYCB. The Kurt and Kyle Froman were the only identical twins who were ever in the company, as far as I know. They were both in the corps.

6 minutes ago, vipa said:

On the topic of siblings - there are the Angle brothers, both principals. Years ago there were the Borne sisters. I think they were in the corps for quite a while. Bonnie Borne, I believe left to be a soloist in another company and Elyse was eventually promoted to soloist at NYCB. The Kurt and Kyle Froman were the only identical twins who were ever in the company, as far as I know. They were both in the corps.

Adam and Jessy Hendrickson, too—

If we get into parents and chldren, we'll have a very long list.  That speaks to a different comparison, and while there are certainly feelings around different professional levels in that relationship, they are being judged by different times, different standards, even if there was overlap between father and son in the case of the d'Amboises.  Not to leave out Christoper d'Amboise's mother, Carolyn George.

The brothers I was thnking of were the Sacketts.