This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

15 minutes ago, nanushka said:

But La Valse and Slaughter were both seen in the Fall, weren't they? While that makes them unexciting for those of us who attend numerous performances, I think that's precisely why they're programming them again. I suspect it's been very difficult for them to get in the studios with the recent COVID spike. Liebeslieder hasn't been done in a number of years so would require a good deal more rehearsal time.

Not saying I don't agree it'd be great to have more variety — just that I don't think it's only about "smaller-scale works." (I think Diamonds was problematic not only because it's larger-scale but also because of the amount of rehearsal that means it'd require.)

Much as I love Liebeslieder, it also requires additional expenditures. The singers have to be paid. Most ballets rehearse with a rehearsal pianist, but I don't think that's possible with the vocal music in Liebeslieder, or at least not possible to the extent that NYCB usually rehearses with piano. IIRC, they typically do only one run-through onstage with orchestra for each ballet. They have an orchestra on salary. They don't have singers on salary. Small cast, but not cheap.

Still, if they manage to put Liebeslider on, I, too, will be at every performance. I still remember Unity Phelan sailing through a double pirouette in attitude upstage left. So many beautiful performances. Sterling, Maria.. Tiler. I remember Rebecca Krohn killing it, too.

5 hours ago, cobweb said:

I hope this is not too "off topic" for this forum, but I wanted to alert Balanchine fans that Vienna State Opera Ballet currently has a livestream up that contains a beautifully prepared performance of Liebeslieder Walzer. It's already been up since, I think, Friday, so not sure how much longer. It's a very different kind of performance from what we last saw at NYCB, but very beautiful, and the music and singing is a model of ravishing clarity. 

I can't find the livestream. Do you have to become a member?

For most of the years I attended NYCB, there weren't that many "theme" performances, aside from an opener, a closer, and one or two in the middle of the sandwich.  That was until they had to sub in ballets due to illness and injury (using the Spring Season), and they did the best they could with what they had.

15 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Then the livestream has ended. I keep clicking on the link and it says "there's nothing found" or something like that. 

Typically, the videos are only available for 24 hours, but I know that for the Met Opera free videos, for example, if you open them in the browser before the deadline ends, you can sometimes watch or re-watch past the expiration date.  If you lose the connection though, or it freezes, you're out of luck.

In this case the stream was up a bit longer, I'd guess about 60 hours, but sadly not forever. I watched the full program four times and Liebeslieder seven times in total. It was a fabulous way to spend the weekend. :wub:

For me Liebeslieder is always an extremely potent incentive to return to New York. (And I know NYCB would never consider performing the piece without singers, but there is a strictly four-hands version of the score.)

54 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Wow, my livestream is still going!! I better preserve that open browser tab for as long as I can...

I couldn't open it either, too late.  Keep watching cobweb, as many times as you can! I'd love to see NYCB do it, and I too would be there. I understand the issues because singers are needed and also, even though it's a small cast, it requires a lot of rehearsal. That said, the company has a vast rep. so I still question the programing choices.

5 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Most ballets rehearse with a rehearsal pianist, but I don't think that's possible with the vocal music in Liebeslieder, or at least not possible to the extent that NYCB usually rehearses with piano. 

Brahms wrote more four-hands piano music than any other composer. He produced four-hand versions of all his major works, including his symphonies, overtures, string quartets, even Ein deutsches Requiem and Liebeslieder Walzer. The ballet absolutely could be prepared with only rehearsal pianists. Singers are also total pros at learning independently, and they come to rehearsals completely prepared, knowing their parts top to bottom, backwards and forwards. You'd be amazed at how little time they need for rehearsal before a show. One day with the dancers and each other would be sufficient. But the choreography would demand a lot of rehearsal time, and sadly it's not a ballet in constant rotation. I agree that it's a perfect "pod" ballet, so I hope the management takes that into consideration when planning outbreak-proof repertoire.

4 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

Tiler Peck is debuting Mozartiana with Harrison Ball on 2/5: https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1642610714/Documents/Casting/NYCB-Casting_February-1-6-2022_lobby

Also, debuts for Woodward in La Valse and LaFreniere in Rubies, plus a few others

And Tiler’s Rubies debut is with Anthony Huxley. Harrison Ball has a busy week, good for him. 

I have called the box office a couple of times this week, trying to buy Society NYCB tickets. They keep telling me it's not yet open yet for Society NYCB, when normally it would be. Earlier this week they told me to call back by the end of this week, and just now told me to call back next Wednesday. I hope this doesn't portend bad news about either the season, or Society NYCB! I am praying to see that Peck-LaFreniere Rubies. 

I'm afraid that was the case for other siblings in the company over the years, where one sibling ended being a level higher than the other.  The only two I can recall that both were promoted to Principal were the Duell and Angle brothers, but I could be very wrong.

Congratulations to all. Super exciting.  And I agree, Vagansmom, Claire is also so talented as is their sister Nicole who dances with Texas Ballet Theater here in my hometown.  There are so many more wonderful dancers in the corps that I would love to see promoted, including Kristen Segin, but I guess there's just not enough room. An embarrassment of riches.

10 minutes ago, vagansmom said:

That's got to be tough for Claire Von Enck as she is about 4 or 5 years older than Emma and has been in corps much longer. I adore Claire's dancing as well as her sister's. 

I recall Claire getting opportunities very quickly when she first joined, a shot at Tarantella for example. Then, for whatever reason, things seemed to stall for her.

I could nitpick one or two of the choices, but overall this is great news. I notice they are going tall. Kikta and Miller are two of the tallest women in the company, LaFreniere and Hod aren't far behind, and Nadon is on the taller side of medium. Only von Enck is bringing up the short side. I too would love to see Kristen Segin in there! I imagine this means we'll be seeing some retirements among the female soloists. Pazcoguin and Adams are clearly not favored, and Pereira has shown a failure to progress. I also wonder about Megan LeCrone and Ashley Laracey, although they are used more widely and I hope they can stick around awhile longer, Laracey especially.