This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

It looks like they are inserting the Balanchine SL one act into every program that was supposed to  have thel length.  Additionally, in certain programs they  are also adding in the Black Swan pas

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, abatt said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/07/arts/city-ballet-delays-season.html

City ballet is delaying the start of the  winter season due to Covid.  Wow, just reading through the entire article now and they are also making MASSIVE program changes.  Season start date is now Jan 27.  The full length SL is scrapped.  No Diamonds either.  The only consolation is that they are adding the one act Balanchine SL to the winter season.

I'm sad they have to delay the start and that we won't be seeing Diamonds. On the other hand I'm OK with not seeing the Martins SL and instead getting a rep night that includes Balanchine's one act version. I mostly feel sorry for the dancers with all of these ups and downs.

I’ve never seen the Balanchine swan lake, so would love to see it.

I hated the martins version.  I saw tiler peck’s debut and she was fabulous, but the production was horrible.  Stafford has some real opportunities to replace this SL and Martins’ sleeping beauty as well.  I saw that many moons ago and remember being underwhelmed.  

40 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

I’ve never seen the Balanchine swan lake, so would love to see it.

I hated the martins version.  I saw tiler peck’s debut and she was fabulous, but the production was horrible.  Stafford has some real opportunities to replace this SL and Martins’ sleeping beauty as well.  I saw that many moons ago and remember being underwhelmed.  

They should rid themselves of all the Peter Martins choreography asap. The Swan Lake is an awful production (just my opinion) and the costumes and sets are also horrendous. The primary colors need to go. I'm excited to look at the changes. I have Covid at the moment, so it's doubtful I could have seen the first week anyway.

I would LOVE to see the Balanchine Swan Lake!

I saw the Chicago Ballet do the Balanchine SL last year in a stream during the worst of COVID. It's an academy directed by Daniel Duell. Love the Balanchine version, which I'm sure I saw many years ago at NYCB, but don't remember when. https://www.balletchicago.org/

I saw the PM version just once -- ironically, on February 21, 2020, right before everything started to shut down. Hated it and swore I'd never sit through it again. 

When I got home, I had an all-night coughing spell and then all-night shaking and chills. Just one night each - never again. I told my doctor about symptoms later and they sure sounded like COVID to us, but there were no tests then. By the time they had an anti-body test available, mine were gone. I've always wondered if those performances were "super-spreaders," unbeknown to any of us at the time.

1 hour ago, California said:

I saw the PM version just once

Wish I could say the same. Every few years someone interesting gets cast and I think "How bad can it be?" and buy a ticket. About five minutes after the curtain goes up, I am reminded of just how bad it is. It's ugly, it's airless, and it's so stripped down to steps! steps! steps! that just about all the theater has been drained out of it. "How much story do you need?" Balanchine famously asked. Well, more than Martins (and Per Kirkeby) deigned to give us. Balanchine's one-act version is by contrast distilled and does indeed give us all the story we need. 

3 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

. . . that just about all the theater has been drained out of it. "How much story do you need?" Balanchine famously asked. Well, more than Martins (and Per Kirkeby) deigned to give us. Balanchine's one-act version is by contrast distilled and does indeed give us all the story we need. 

I remember one PM interview in which he said he stripped out the "filler." Ugh. What I love about the Balanchine version is that the choreography is both familiar, like comfort food, and refreshingly new and distinctively Balanchine, especially for the corps. I don't know if an expert has analyzed how much he borrowed and how much he invented, but it's one reason why it's so fascinating. And yes, plenty of story. 

3 hours ago, California said:

I saw the Chicago Ballet do the Balanchine SL last year in a stream during the worst of COVID. It's an academy directed by Daniel Duell. Love the Balanchine version, which I'm sure I saw many years ago at NYCB, but don't remember when. https://www.balletchicago.org/

I saw the PM version just once -- ironically, on February 21, 2020, right before everything started to shut down. Hated it and swore I'd never sit through it again. 

I also love the Balanchine version and hate the Martins. I saw the Martins back in 1998 when it premiered (I was at the performance that was broadcast on PBS with Miranda Weese and Damian Woetzel) and vowed never to see it again. And I haven't.  

1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Every few years someone interesting gets cast and I think "How bad can it be?" and buy a ticket. About five minutes after the curtain goes up, I am reminded of just how bad it is

Exact same experience!!

I will be glad to see the Balanchine one-act Swan Lake rather than the PM version. However, I'm sorry to miss Diamonds. I was hoping to see Miriam Miller, not sure she would be cast but it seemed likely since she did it successfully in Saratoga. This must be hard on the dancers, but I hope that management takes the opportunity to give young dancers a chance. If a principal tests positive and can't dance, why not put in a young dancer on short notice? The audience will certainly understand and be sympathetic, and even if a dancer isn't as prepared as would be ideal, no one is going to complain, and they will even be glad to "meet" the corps dancers in big roles. 

51 minutes ago, canbelto said:

There's been another departure: veteran corps dancer Gretchen Smith no longer listed on the website.

She said goodbye on IG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYLdnPVghli/

Neither is Ghaleb Kayali.

I'm going to miss Gretchen Smith, a very intelligent dancer who knew how to make things work. I heard her say, in a recent interview, that she'd love to stage ballets. I hope that works out for her.

Oh wow re: Gretchen! She seemed like such a mainstay.  I always wondered about her career progression.  She was in the corps for such a long time but seemed to build relationships across the company.  I hope she’s excited for whatever is next.

3 hours ago, GB1216 said:

Oh wow re: Gretchen! She seemed like such a mainstay.  I always wondered about her career progression.  She was in the corps for such a long time but seemed to build relationships across the company.  I hope she’s excited for whatever is next.

Absolutely! She will certainly be missed. In all of the NYCB videos, she seemed like such a likable and down to earth person. Beautiful feet and legs, too!  I wish her much happiness and success in her next chapter.

Strangely, there is a performance listed on the website for Jan 20, listed as "opening night," and featuring Serenade, After the Rain, and Symphony in C. (In other words, the opening night program for the Fall season). I just called the box office and they have no clue, denying it's on the website, asking if I was calling about New York City Ballet or some other company, and explaining that the season has been delayed to Jan 27. Yeah, I know. Oh well, I would have liked to see Symphony in C!

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Strangely, there is a performance listed on the website for Jan 20, listed as "opening night," and featuring Serenade, After the Rain, and Symphony in C. (In other words, the opening night program for the Fall season). I just called the box office and they have no clue, denying it's on the website, asking if I was calling about New York City Ballet or some other company, and explaining that the season has been delayed to Jan 27. Yeah, I know. Oh well, I would have liked to see Symphony in C!

That is strange. I just checked and it's still there, so it looks like the person at the box office was mistaken.

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

Phelan?

15 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I wonder who will be cast in Mozartiana. Maria Kowroski used to dance it. I've seen Sara Mearns and Sterling Hyltin dance it. I hope there's a debut... but who would it be?

I would love to see Laracey in Mozartiana

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I would love to see Laracey get one of the Balanchine one act Swan Lake performances. 

I too would love to see Laracey in Balanchine's SL. Mozartiana? I'm probably in the minority here but I'd love to see Tiler Peck, with her special brand of musicality.

48 minutes ago, vipa said:

I too would love to see Laracey in Balanchine's SL. Mozartiana? I'm probably in the minority here but I'd love to see Tiler Peck, with her special brand of musicality.

I'd see that! I don't know that her Preghiera would particularly do it for me, but I'd love to see her tackle some of those variations especially.