This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

On 7/1/2021 at 5:06 PM, California said:

NYCB just announced via email that single tickets will go on sale July 19 for donors over $100 and subscribers for 2021-22, including the four retirement programs. The email doesn't say if they will have seat selection.  Single tickets for the general public go on sale August 1. At least in previous years, seat selection was available at that point. https://www.nycballet.com/season-and-tickets/seasons

Single seats went on sale today (Monday, July 19) for donors and subscribers. They are offering seat selection! Opening night (Sept 21) and the Kowroski Farewell October 17 are selling very fast. Hard to find good seats in any section. Single tickets for general public go on sale August 1. I'd suggest moving fast for those two performances.

I was unable to get Kowroski tickets at all and now it appears to be sold out. It kept telling me that I had exceeded the ticket limit, even though I only had two in my cart - then it wouldn't let me click through to complete my purchase. I did manage to get two tickets to opening night, but that also looks like it's selling fast.  

Try again, Cobweb. I started shortly after 1 pm when I finished a meeting and by 2:30 I was completely frustrated. I got the same messages as you. I walked away from it and got a few things accomplished. Just checked in again a few minutes ago and the glitch seems to be fixed. I was able to get what I wanted for Maria and Gonzalo. We so luckily got to talk with gonzo during the fleeting SPAC 4 days and he charmed the pants off us—my husband as well. So we are going to be there for him. There aren’t an abundance of seats available but it’s far from sold out and 3rd and 4th rings aren’t even open. 

Psyched because opening night is on my subscription. Now let’s hope nycb follows the lead of met opera. 

15 minutes ago, rkoretzky said:

Try again, Cobweb.

Yes, try again. This email from NYCB hit my inbox at around 4:30:

AN UPDATE ON YOUR EARLY ACCESS

It was brought to our attention that some of our priority sales patrons were having trouble accessing seats for Maria Kowroski's farewell performance on October 17. 

The issue has been fixed and available seating for this performance should now be displaying correctly online. If you were experiencing problems ordering online earlier today, thank you for your patience. Please try to order online again as our phone lines are experiencing extremely heavy traffic.

We apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to seeing you in the theater.

2 hours ago, Balanchinomane said:

What a nightmare

OMG yes. Honestly I was in an existential crisis for a couple of hours, thinking I had missed out on Kowroski tickets. Why am I living in NYC, do I even want to return to the city (since I've spent most of the pandemic away), is the whole season going to be like this with pent-up demand, what will my life be like if I can't attend ballet performances easily the way I used to, etc, etc. Now I'm all set with tickets THANK GOD. 

Edited by cobweb

You all - I am so excited! Finally got everything settled for my tickets. I know it will be an adjustment being back in the theater with whatever protocols they'll have in place and being surrounded by a whole theater of people again. I got tickets for all the farewells except Lovette's and la Cour's since they are on the same day and that day doesn't work for me. 

5 minutes ago, Susu_nyc said:

Hello.  I am a subscriber, but am not seeing an option for early access single tickets online.  Is everyone else clicking on the performance date and seeing ticket availability?

You should have gotten an email on Monday. (Mine arrived a little after noon and showed up in my Gmail "Promotions" folder.) There's a link there that will take you to the ordering pages; you'll also need to make sure you're signed in on their site.

It's possible that just logging in will be enough, without the link. And phone orders can be placed at 212-496-0600.

Edited by nanushka
On 9/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, California said:

I just heard back from the NYCB Membership office that they expect to restart Friends rehearsals in October. You should be getting some kind of notice if you are eligible.

YAY, YAY AND SUPER YAY!! I can't wait for those rehearsals. Imo, they are one of the best things about living in NYC.

4 minutes ago, KikiRVA said:

The calendar lists January 29 having both matinee and evening performances, but I can't find the evening performance when I try to by tickets.  Did they cancel a performance?

It may be one of the Art Series performances. Tickets will be only available with a code first. Any left over tickets will be sold to public later.

6 hours ago, cobweb said:

I'm checking anxiously for the first week of casting for the NYCB Winter season - it would reassure me they're counting on going on as planned. I'm holding off on buying tickets till this happens. 

Tiler Peck has video on her IG saying that she's making a debut in Rubies. Don't know which evening, of course.

4 hours ago, GB1216 said:

I wonder about diamonds.  Sara Mearns would be first cast now that Maria is retired, but she still seems to be MIA (hope she’s ok).  Who else does it? Tess Reichlin I think.  But maybe a debut there as well? 

Olivia MacKinnon had a clip on her IG doing Swan Lake with Sara Mearns in the studio. They were only doing the variation that has goes entrechat quatre- passé. Sara had on dark sweat pants and a baggy top, but her footwork, and arms are impeccable. IMPECCABLE. So Mearns is in the studio.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYMx0h5BEud/

Isabelle LaFreniere was working on Diamonds awhile back. I'd love to see Unity Phelan dance Diamonds. Or Miriam Miller. NYCB has no shortage of the leggy types they usually cast in that ballet. Emilie Gerrity, Emily Kikta, Mira Nadon... but I'd really like to see Unity do it. It seems to be right in her wheelhouse. Watching her Sugar Plum Fairy this winter I kept being struck by her glamour. Each SPF has her own personality, and Unity has glamour in abundance. I could go for Diamonds with some glamour.

Edited by BalanchineFan

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/07/arts/city-ballet-delays-season.html

City ballet is delaying the start of the  winter season due to Covid.  Wow, just reading through the entire article now and they are also making MASSIVE program changes.  Season start date is now Jan 27.  The full length SL is scrapped.  No Diamonds either.  The only consolation is that they are adding the one act Balanchine SL to the winter season.

Edited by abatt
43 minutes ago, abatt said:

The only consolation is that they are adding the one act Balanchine SL to the winter season.

When was the last time the Balanchine (/Ivanov) Swan Lake was performed by City Ballet? Has it be danced since Martins' version was added to the repertory?

32 minutes ago, Quiggin said:

When was the last time the Balanchine (/Ivanov) Swan Lake was performed by City Ballet? Has it be danced since Martins' version was added to the repertory?

Yes I saw it like three years ago. Sterling Hyltin was exquisite in the Balanchine version.