This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

28 minutes ago, abatt said:

Just speculating, but  who do we think will be our next female principal.  I used to think Gerrity had a chance, but they do not seem to be using her in the essential roles of the rep. 

She is dancing Sanguinic with Chun Wai Chan (at least they were rehearsing it, obviously don't know the official casting yet).  I think of the female soloists prior to the promotion she is the most likely. I know Justin Peck uses Claire Kretzschmar a lot so maybe she's a possible? The others -- LeCrone, Pazcoguin, Pereira, Adams, Laracey, Pollock -- I would be very surprised. I agree with Cobweb that the most likely from the new group are Nadon/LaFreniere if everyone remains healthy.

I think that the pandemic has made a lot of people re-evaluate their careers. Dance is hard, and it's not very surprising to me that there would be a number of dancers deciding that this is the right time to move on, especially when the opportunity presents itself. 

That being said, I'm very sorry that I won't get to see her again before her retirement. I think one of the last regular SPAC performances I saw her in was Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 and she was just wonderful--best performance I've seen of that ballet, made me really see it in a whole new light.

I think Miriam Miller has what it takes to be a principal--she was riveting in the Diamonds excerpts last summer at SPAC. I don't think I've seen much of LaFreniere or Nadon in principal roles. I do like Gerrity, too.

9 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Nadon may need a little more time to consolidate her skills, but I could see LaFreniere moving up more quickly. 

I saw her debut in Chaconne; it was so artistically strong and technically assured it wouldn't surprise me if her career followed a Sean Lavery or Ashley Bouder-like trajectory—i.e., a quick touchdown on the soloist runway and a prompt take-off to principal.

(LaFreniere spent more time in the corps than Bouder, although I suspect that may have been due to injury; at least one of them kept her off the stage for quite some time and a couple of big debuts had to get scrubbed.)

I'm a Gerrity fan too: I saw her deliver two blazing performances that were also unscheduled debuts—one in Sara Mearns' role in Namouna and one in Mazzo's role in Stravinsky Violin Concerto. She was so, so good in both. Her Sanguinic in Four Temperaments was also first-rate; I liked her better than Mearns, in fact.

13 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I am sad about this. She is my favorite NYCB principal.

I'm sad too. I said she was one of my favorites but after Kowroski she became the favorite.  It also does not sound like she'll be guesting or dancing at all. 

1 hour ago, nysusan said:

Oh no, Teresa Reichlin is retiring:

Oh no, indeed! I am an unabashed total Reichlen fangirl to the point where I exchange tickets just to see her in her best roles. One of her performances in Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 is burned into my brain and I don't expect to see a better Rubies Tall Girl in my lifetime. 

I don't think I could bear to be there for her final performances ... but I'm going to treasure every memory of her dancing that I have. 

ETA: Another performance I won't forget: Reichlen's Firebird, with Jonathan Stafford as Prince Ivan and Savannah Lowery as the Princess. All three were perfect in their roles and perfect complements to each other.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
1 hour ago, bellawood said:

Sara is 36; Megan 37 or 38; Ashley 38; Sterling 36.

I don't think any of these dancers necessarily need to retire now, although it may be time for them to retire some of their roles (as Mearns has already done.) That being said, the last time I saw Fairchild she looked like she had at least another decade left to her career; she must have gotten her hands on a couple of bottles of Joaquin de Luz's youth potion. 😉

I could see Gerrity taking on some of the roles that showcase Mearns at her powerhouse best, e.g., Walpurgisnacht. (As I mentioned in another post, she's already handled Mearns roles in Namouna and 4Ts more than ably.)

Reichlen's retirement in just a few weeks caught me by surprise. I immediately had to get a ticket to see her farewell! While I wish it were in the full length Swan Lake or another role, I'm happy to be able to see her at all given the pandemic. I had expected to see her perform many more times, but I am glad to see her moving on to something new if she's happy. I am hoping for more years from Mearns and Hyltin, as they are two of my favorites.

1 hour ago, FPF said:

... I think one of the last regular SPAC performances I saw her in was Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 and she was just wonderful--best performance I've seen of that ballet, made me really see it in a whole new light.

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 is one of my most dazzling Reichlin memories as well...I think I saw it the season she was first dancing it.

Reichlen's departure leaves open some interesting casting possibilities for the rest of the 2021-22 season: Prodigal Sun and Slaughter in February (no Kowroski either), Firebird in the spring (Bouder may not be back by then), Choleric in Four Temperaments, Titania in Midsummer, Agon..

And next time they bring back Diamonds, there will probably be two debuts given that Mearns will be the only one left who has danced it. 

Edited by JuliaJ
7 hours ago, abatt said:

Just speculating, but  who do we think will be our next female principal.  I used to think Gerrity had a chance, but they do not seem to be using her in the essential roles of the rep. 

I see Gerrity as on the road to being next. Lots could happen, of course, but I love her dancing and she already seems like a principal to me. I think she gets cast a lot. What are you referring to?

6 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'm a Gerrity fan too: I saw her deliver two blazing performances that were also unscheduled debuts—one in Sara Mearns' role in Namouna and one in Mazzo's role in Stravinsky Violin Concerto. She was so, so good in both. Her Sanguinic in Four Temperaments was also first-rate; I liked her better than Mearns, in fact.

Emilie Gerrity is a fabulous Sanguinic in 4T. I may look to see if she's on the schedule. 

Sorry to hear about Teresa Reichlen. I'll miss her. I wish I could see her PC#2. I think I saw everyone else who was doing it at the time, everyone except her...

Maybe her retirement was another nail in the coffin for seeing Diamonds this winter.

Edited by BalanchineFan
58 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I see Gerrity as on the road to being next. Lots could happen, of course, but I love her dancing and she already seems like a principal to me. I think she gets cast a lot. What are you referring to?

I don't recall her being cast in a lot of new roles in Balanchine & Robbins ballets in the Fall.  Unity got many, many debuts in the Fall before her promotion.  I guess we'll see what roles they give her going forward.  Right now I see her listed for Summerspace, Moves and DGV. I hope she gets a debut in a classical role like Swan Lake.

Edited by abatt

Big risk, but I just bought tickets to both matinee and evening performances on Sat. Feb. 19th, which will be Swan Lake 2 and 1, and one of those should be Tess' farewell performance.  The "risk" is that I am flying in from Texas for this, and there are, of course, weather and airline and COVID issues in the mix.  But, you only live once.  I've had my share of heartbreak before, having flown in right before the epic blizzard of January 2016 for my absolute ideal NCYB program -- Walpurgisnacht, Mozartiana and Symphony in C, only to have it canceled right when we got to coat check. And here I am, willing to risk again!

12 hours ago, abatt said:

I don't recall her being cast in a lot of new roles in Balanchine & Robbins ballets in the Fall.  Unity got many, many debuts in the Fall before her promotion.  I guess we'll see what roles they give her going forward.  Right now I see her listed for Summerspace, Moves and DGV. I hope she gets a debut in a classical role like Swan Lake.

The DGV debut seems promising, though.  Gerrity’s got a principal’s technique and the stage charisma / maturity / “it factor” — as I’ve said before, would love to see her in a SL debut.  (Was hoping to see her in a Mozartiana debut as well, but alas, looks like the fates have not aligned.) 

Congrats to Ms. Reichlen on an extraordinary career.  What a year of major turnover at City Ballet.  For better or for worse, it’s feeling rather like we’ll be seeing a whole new company  by 2023.

18 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Sorry to hear about Teresa Reichlen. I'll miss her. I wish I could see her PC#2. I think I saw everyone else who was doing it at the time, everyone except her...

Well, it's not the same as seeing her in the theater, but this New York Times "Speaking in Dance" Instagram clip from a few years back will give you an idea of what you missed ... when she was on in this role, she was ON.

SAB just announced on Instagram that three of their students just became Apprentices at NYCB: Shelby Mann, Dominika Afanasenkov, and Anna Snellgrove. 

"New York City Ballet's Winter Season begins tomorrow and we are pleased to announce another group of SAB students who have begun apprenticeships with the Company. Congratulations to Shelby, Dominika, and Anna! "

Edited by harpergroup
typo
On 1/26/2022 at 11:25 AM, nysusan said:

NYCB just sent an email with her schedule of performances:

If you aren't able to make it to Teresa's farewell performance, she is also scheduled to appear in:

Thank you for sharing this performance schedule for Tess.  Although a donor, I did not get this email.  I did, however, receive an email from NYCB announcing her retirement performance.

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

Lots of debuts here, including for Amar(!). I'm seeing the Saturday EVE Tiler/Roman Tchai Pas, which I am very excited about, and Woodward as Russian Girl. If anyone sees Eve Von Enck in Andantino that Sunday will you report back? 

The box office is impossible to reach via phone, which is needed for Society NYCB tickets as well as a few swaps that I have. Last week they told me to call back this week, but yesterday and today I have called several times, only to wait on hold 15-30 (!) minutes before I had to sign off. I do have a job after all. I have been completely unable to purchase tickets. This is ridiculous and beyond frustrating!! 

21 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Big risk, but I just bought tickets to both matinee and evening performances on Sat. Feb. 19th, which will be Swan Lake 2 and 1, and one of those should be Tess' farewell performance.  The "risk" is that I am flying in from Texas for this, and there are, of course, weather and airline and COVID issues in the mix.  But, you only live once.  I've had my share of heartbreak before, having flown in right before the epic blizzard of January 2016 for my absolute ideal NCYB program -- Walpurgisnacht, Mozartiana and Symphony in C, only to have it canceled right when we got to coat check. And here I am, willing to risk again!

I've got my fingers crossed for you. May I suggest you try to plan longer trips? They perform A LOT, probably more than any other non-commercial, performing arts company in NYC. That one cancellation you mentioned was the only cancellation in NYCB's entire existence... until Covid as far as I know.

-A longtime fan