This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

2 minutes ago, vipa said:

I appreciate all the reports and am intrigued and grateful for all the photos and video on social media. Does anyone know if Suzi Pilarre was there, or either of the Neary sisters?

Yes, Colleen Neary was there along with her husband Thordal Christensen, also an alum.  I think I saw Pat but not certain.  (Both used to teach at my daughter's school in LA, founded by the late Yvonne Mounsey.)

What an exciting evening last night.  I love all the reports.  Now that the impressive and massive gathering of NYCB alumni has already happened, is there anything else special planned for the actual anniversary performance on October 11th?  Don't know how they could top that but if anyone has any intel, please share.

6 hours ago, Rose said:

Maybe wait a few years, let the dust settle, and then decide how you really feel.

Often people who wait a few years  to voice their negative experiences (in any kind of institution)  are heavily criticized for not having spoken up at the time of the event--or even disbelieved because they didn't go public at the time.  In general, when one has something critical to say about experiences in a loved and admired institution one will never find a way or a time that satisfies everyone. Probably not even oneself.

As it happens, several dancers who have spoken out about negative experiences at NYCB  or with NYCB personnel DID wait--I'll give the example of Wilhelmina Frankfurt whose story about visiting Balanchine in the hospital was not public knowledge until after the fact; I think she has every right to celebrate her time with the company and was happy to see a photo of her there celebrating.  And as @Nanushka commented above...feelings are complicated. Life experiences too.

As for Bouder bringing her daughter on stage? it's hard for me to share the dismay expressed by several here. If the company explicitly said "no kids on stage," then she was breaking rules. But did they? I doubt they said anything. Possibly it didn't occurr to them someone would bring their child. But it hardly seems like a big deal. I'm probably more shocked when I see ballet dancers bringing their dogs to the studio with them. (But I've gotten over it 😉)

Sounds from all the reports like it was a great evening! Relieved to read that the orchestra will be playing for the whole of the Fall season.

Just got back from tonight's show. 

The evening got off to a rough start with Emeralds. While I wasn't expecting Bouder at her best, I was surprised to see that the quality of her dancing did not seem to improve since last year. The opening was serviceable, but it was painfully apparent when dancing side-by-side with Laracey or in front of the rest of the company that she is not dancing anywhere near company standard. Even things like her musical timing was off with everyone else, her arabesques the lowest by a large margin, and there were fumbles with basic components like pirouette finishes or sloppy transitional steps. To be clear, none of these things have anything to do with weight (on the contrary, her arms were her most notable asset here, lovely port de bras in her solo). I'm not sure what's going on. I'd be curious about reports to see if she improves on Friday, perhaps it was nerves?  Even the wonderful Chan was a bit lackluster. Laracey kept Emeralds from sinking.  

Rubies brought the house down with Kikta, Peck, and Mejia (no surprise there!). Kikta is my favorite Tall Girl at the moment - I love how she towers over everyone, her broad shoulders and cool demeanor. Nadon's take on the role is more glamorous, but Kikta veers more mythical and powerful. Excited to hear about Christina Clark's debut in this! And if it's possible to have a crush on a dance move, I have a major crush on Mejia's 'Rubies run' (not sure what else to call the little jog all the men do). He was insanely good in this. Tiler Peck seems to dance more effortlessly as the years go on, and her Rubies feels like a gift every time I see it. The audience let out audible gasps for each of the leads at several points.

Diamonds started out cautious and dull but bloomed. As it was Phelan's debut and thus Gordon's first time dancing it with her, the opening pas de deux could use another few rounds to develop fully. Both of them really shone in their solo work. Phelan's turn sequences were music-box beautiful and her port de bras became more lush and less 'by the numbers' as the piece went on. Gordon is always great and carries such an intriguing presence, but it seemed like someone didn't properly tailor his tunic - it kept riding up with the neckline swallowing him a bit. 

Highs and lows, but swooned often and joined others around me in gasps for both Rubies and Diamonds. How wonderful to see the auditorium so full on a Wednesday night! 

Edited by Papagena
4 hours ago, Drew said:

Often people who wait a few years  to voice their negative experiences (in any kind of institution)  are heavily criticized for not having spoken up at the time of the event--or even disbelieved because they didn't go public at the time.  In general, when one has something critical to say about experiences in a loved and admired institution one will never find a way or a time that satisfies everyone. Probably not even oneself.

As it happens, several dancers who have spoken out about negative experiences at NYCB  or with NYCB personnel DID wait--I'll give the example of Wilhelmina Frankfurt whose story about visiting Balanchine in the hospital was not public knowledge until after the fact; I think she has every right to celebrate her time with the company and was happy to see a photo of her there celebrating.  And as @Nanushka commented above...feelings are complicated. Life experiences too.

As for Bouder bringing her daughter on stage? it's hard for me to share the dismay expressed by several here. If the company explicitly said "no kids on stage," then she was breaking rules. But did they? I doubt they said anything. Possibly it didn't occurr to them someone would bring their child. But it hardly seems like a big deal. I'm probably more shocked when I see ballet dancers bringing their dogs to the studio with them. (But I've gotten over it 😉)

Sounds from all the reports like it was a great evening! Relieved to read that the orchestra will be playing for the whole of the Fall season.

You have a very kind and considered way with words, Drew!

9 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

What an exciting evening last night.  I love all the reports.  Now that the impressive and massive gathering of NYCB alumni has already happened, is there anything else special planned for the actual anniversary performance on October 11th?  Don't know how they could top that but if anyone has any intel, please share.

The only hint so far for October 11 is the 8 pm curtain, instead of the usual 7:30 for weeknights. I'll be there and am hoping for something special for this historic event. 

Bouder was fine, but the technique is nowhere near what it needs to be.  I did notice the problem with her low arabesques, and I believe she also came off pointe during the pas with Chan.  Her upper arms look very bulky.  They are going to have a tough time finding roles for her going forward.  

I really enjoyed Laracey's performance.  Beautiful upper body carriage.   The problem with Gerrity the night before was one of tone - way to dour, like she was going to a funeral.  Laracey conveyed wistfulness.  

Whew.  What a great Rubies performance. Mejia in particular was just amazing, but the entire cast was wonderful.  Mejia is among the best I've seen in the role, and definitely in the same league as DeLuz and Woetzel.   His elevation is breathtaking, and the exit where he starts slow and the accelerates was super human. 

(Does anyone know if his dad, Paul Mejia, was at the alumni celebration?)

Diamonds needs some work and some time to gel.  Gordon's  solos were perfection.  He is a paragon of classical style.  Unity got through the steps of her solos well enough, but she does not yet take any risks in her dancing.   The pas, however, was probably the most bland interpretation I've seen of this iconic ballet.   These two have no chemistry together.   Whereas the Mearns Janzen performance was like a conversation of depth, the Phelan Gordon performance was just a bunch of steps strung together by music.  I guess it's unfair to have such high expectations at this juncture, but Phelan has some big toe shoes to fill here. 

Edited by abatt
On 9/19/2023 at 11:42 PM, LadyCap said:

These IG stories from rehearsal and performance from the wings are wonderful! I want them to do this for every program! (And very interesting to see Ashley Bouder in rehearsal after all the discussion about her.)

Does anyone know, please: for Jewels, do many of the corps de ballet dance in more than one segment? Surely not all three?

A few dancers are in the corps of Emeralds and Diamonds. India Bradley often has that assignment. The corps in Diamonds tends to be taller dancers. 

25 minutes ago, abatt said:

The pas, however, was probably the most bland interpretation I've seen of this iconic ballet.   These two have no chemistry together.   Whereas the Mearns Janzen performance was like a conversation of depth, the Phelan Gordon performance was just a bunch of steps strung together by music. 

This x 1000. Phelan has strong technique, she is a beautiful dancer and a beautiful woman however she has been cast in absolutely everything and I think that is to her detriment. She would do better if they limited her repertoire a bit and gave her time to develop her roles. Or maybe she is just a "surface" dancer, time will tell.

I liked Bouder in Emeralds, Her upper body was lovely and I really thought she brought the requisite mystery and perfume to the role. But Laracey was extraordinary. Did not love the PDT - honestly I've seen it performed better by the Mariinsky (there is one dvd in particular with Yana Selina, Xenia Ostreikovskaya, and Anton Korsakov that is just gorgeous but I've seen it done much better by NYCB as well).

Loved Rubies - Peck and Mejia were great and Kitka ruled.

Edited to add: I did not realize that this was Phelan's debut in Diamonds. Knowing that I will cut her some slack but although beautiful it was a very dull, surface performance from her.

Edited by nysusan
2 hours ago, abatt said:

Whew.  What a great Rubies performance. Mejia in particular was just amazing, but the entire cast was wonderful.  Mejia is among the best I've seen in the role, and definitely in the same league as DeLuz and Woetzel.   His elevation is breathtaking, and the exit where he starts slow and the accelerates was super human. 

I wasn't sure if it was recency bias for me (or if I was just on a post-performance high last night), but 100% agreed - Mejia on the Rubies cast list is worth shaping decisions around for those who haven't seen him. I was sitting in the 3rd ring and even from there is elevation was making everyone around me catch their breath. 

Edited by Papagena
3 hours ago, abatt said:

(Does anyone know if his dad, Paul Mejia, was at the alumni celebration?)

I don't know if he was there. Obviously Anthony Huxley was great but for dramatic storyline's sake imagine if Roman did opening night lol. 

47 minutes ago, sarasr said:

I don't know if he was there. Obviously Anthony Huxley was great but for dramatic storyline's sake imagine if Roman did opening night lol. 

I did see Roman there.  He was in the first ring where some of the dancers were standing to watch the performance.  Miriam Miller, jovani furlan and Gilbert bolden were also there. 

Agree with a lot of the comments about last night. Ashley Laracey was absolutely exquisite in Emeralds. This is a perfect role for her one-of-a-kind carriage, articulate neck, beautiful arms, and the inner poetry she conveys. Just seeing her walk around on demi-pointe is poetic. Chan looked his usual noble self, and I think Peter Walker did well, but I was mainly focused on Laracey and didn't notice him so much! I found Bouder did reasonably well, with some technical limitations, but did not bring anything special to the role. 

Rubies was indeed tremendous. Peck and Mejia were on fire with daring and dazzle. Kikta was Amazonian. As someone said up-thread, all three got audience gasps at different points. Mejia's accelerating exit into the wings was showoffiness at its best. 

For Diamonds, all I could think was why is Unity in everything, and not getting time to really absorb or work on her interpretations. As with Vienna Waltzes and other big recent debuts, the steps are all there and her personal beauty makes her very watchable, but there is nothing more to it. Joseph Gordon on the other hand has matured into a dancer of great beauty -- authoritative, technically dazzling (also showed off with some different arm positions in his turns, done with ease and poise), elegant and pristine, I could go on and on - and relates to the audience with confidence, nobility, and a touching vulnerability. (The combination of nobility and vulnerability reminded me of, and made me miss, Harrison Ball.)

Going back to opening night, Mira Nadon let loose with the Tall Girl, going all out for sexy and showy. She was terrific, but I find her a little too loose and sloppy with form sometimes. I guess if you're going to let go of classical form this is a role for it, but I'm hoping she can be her dazzling self with a more scrupulous attention to form. 

I think the question was whether Paul Mejia was in attendance, not whether Roman was there.

Did Paul ever make it up to principal? 

His son is certainly a blazing and exciting principal.  Roman has already given so many memorable performances.  Fingers crossed that maybe they will give Roman a Prodigal performance.

Edited by abatt
4 hours ago, cobweb said:

For Diamonds, all I could think was why is Unity in everything, and not getting time to really absorb or work on her interpretations. As with Vienna Waltzes and other big recent debuts, the steps are all there and her personal beauty makes her very watchable, but there is nothing more to it. 

This is definitely part of the problem - whereas someone like Mearns had clear signature roles right away, I can't think of roles I identify primarily with Phelan. It seems like she is stretched too thin to make a strong handful of roles her own. I didn't mind her performance last night as I don't expect fireworks from difficult debuts and her solo work was more beautiful than a lot of these reports are implying (in my opinion it was the partner work is what suffered most). However I'm opting out of her Apollo/La Sonnambula dobule feature since I'm seeing so much of her elsewhere. This may also be a management / coaching issue - asking someone to do Apollo/La Sonnambula  back-to-back on the same night is sort of crazy to me. 

Edited by Papagena
4 hours ago, GB1216 said:

I did see Roman there.  He was in the first ring where some of the dancers were standing to watch the performance.  Miriam Miller, jovani furlan and Gilbert bolden were also there. 

Oh no I had meant if he had done Rubies on opening night in front of all the rest of the alumni and performed it the way he just did.

Another comment about last night, I wanted to add that I really enjoyed the pas de trois in Emeralds, with KJ Takahashi, Baily Jones, and Alexa Maxwell. Takahashi had a beautiful restrained nobility, while Maxwell danced the heck out of her variation, musical and so passionate and animated. I would LOVE to see her in bigger roles.

Re: Unity, I’ve seen a bunch of her debuts and I think she’s very nervous the first times through. She was basically petrified during 2nd movement Symphony in C, and I’ve seen her fall in other debuts or near-debuts (once, memorably, three times in one performance — tchai suite No. 3 second or third Movement, I can’t remember which one). But when she settles in — as in Agon — she can be so spectacular. Her rep is large as others have noted — and that could definitely be an issue.