This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

7 hours ago, abatt said:

Loved Kikta in Love Letters.  I wish they would cast her and Peter Walker in Glass Pieces.  Their long lines would look great in Glass Pieces pas. 

OMG, Kikta and Walker would KILL in Glass Pieces!  What a great idea.

10 hours ago, abatt said:

When the announcement was made before the show, there was audible chatter.  Couldn't tell if people were pleased or disappointed

Someone could write a book about the appalling behavior of Russian ballet audiences, but I will give them credit for one thing.  When a last-minute casting change is announced, the audience applauds, regardless of whether the change is a pleasant surprise or an enormous disappointment. That's a custom worth adopting.

Posted (edited)

Just in from the Pictures at an Exhibition-Red Angels-Play Time-Glass Pieces program. This was a long program to sit through, when what I really wanted to see was Glass Pieces (and tbh, the final section at that!).  Just a few comments.

I saw Red Angels like 10(?) years ago, in one of the few times I saw Jennie Somogyi (this was near the beginning of my NYCB tutelage). I recall that I liked it a lot, and can still picture Somogyi in some very specific poses. It made an impression! Tonight did not disappoint, this is a piece that I can definitely revisit. Did Ulysses Dove do any more worthy choreography that is extant? For the cast, Emilie Gerrity is really proving her worth this season, super versatile and highly reliable. Davide Riccardo sizzled with star quality and gusto. Taylor Stanley was magnetic, and this is a role that showcases India Bradley's flexibility and shape. 

This is the first time I've seen Play Time. When it began, I was thinking, wow, this isn't as bad as I was expecting, it's kind of charming. By the end (is it really only 15 minutes?), it was positively enervating. 

Glass Pieces. What a masterpiece! I enjoyed every minute of it.

Pictures at an Exhibition is fine, with some lovely moments, but just too much running around, running off and on, and this and that, for me.  If I can come up with anything more coherent about my reaction to this piece, will post.

One final note, about Samuel Melnikov. He led the men in the third movement of Glass Pieces, and was the guy in the red suit in Play Time. He is always noticeable because he's so tall, but never before has he made such an impression on me. Elegant and just gloriously tall!

Edited by cobweb
Posted (edited)

Just a few thoughts on tonight’s performance:

1) Pictures at an Exhibition - this piece came together and flowed better than previous viewings — also the cast seemed to gel better as an ensemble (though I can’t go as far and say I’m a fan of the ballet). Unity added a wonderfully lyrical quality to her role, and Rommie Tomasini’s dancing was so clear and bright — she’s a speed demon.  And I was wondering if I’m hyperbolic when I write about Mira (who was subbing for Sara Mearns) — but I sat there tonight watching her and thought — No hyperbole, she’s just pure brilliance —her body sings with grace and effortless energy — and she moves with such abandon, verging on recklessness.  And she keeps on getting better.

2) Red Angels — New cast.  The surprise was Davide Riccardo and Emily — they were stunning.  Davide was stunning AND gorgeous — with a real strut and attitude.  Work!  And when I saw that Emily was cast, I admit having reservations — but she surprised and delighted me with her take on this role — sensual, sinuous, seductive, shaded.  A grown up interpretation.   I was expecting a bit more from Taylor and India — but this was the first night — so I hope they do better on Saturday.  And trying to recall Taylor’s performance, I think Taylor didn’t do all the choreography that Joseph Gordon did — like there was a section missing.

3) Glass Pieces — Mabie was a surprise — he seemed more athletic tonight — it’s like he added 10 pounds of muscle overnight in all the right places.  And Ava and Aaron were solid, but I think they too will do better on Saturday.  One thing that struck me about Ava is how iconic is her presence and movement — an almost Platonic ideal of how an American ballerina should look and move — everything about her dancing is clear, her long limbs expansive and dramatically expressive — but nothing extraneous or unnecessary.  

Edited by deanofdance

I see that Mearns was replaced in Pictures last night by Nadon (per casting list).  Mearns was also replaced on Tuesday by Nadon in Mosaics.  If anyone goes tonight I would be interested in knowing if Mearns appears in This Bitter Earth.  Mearns had no appearances last week.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, abatt said:

I see that Mearns was replaced in Pictures last night by Nadon (per casting list).  Mearns was also replaced on Tuesday by Nadon in Mosaics.  If anyone goes tonight I would be interested in knowing if Mearns appears in This Bitter Earth.  Mearns had no appearances last week.

Mearns rehearsed Pictures yesterday (donor rehearsal).  I don’t think she was out due to injury. 

Edit: Sorry, that was last Thursday that Mearns did the Pictures rehearsal. Ratmansky was at the rehearsal last Thursday 5/16, but not this Tuesday.

Edited by BalanchineFan
Posted (edited)

Just going by the online casting sheet, updated on May 22, which indicates Nadon replaced Mearns on Wed, May 22 in Pictures

Out of curiosity, was Ratmansky at the rehearsal of Pictures?

Edited by abatt
8 hours ago, abatt said:

Mearns just posted on her IG stories she will be back tonight and dancing in This Bitter Earth.

8 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

According to the Tivoli Gardens site:

Programme A consists of Balanchine’s Serenade and Stravinsky Violin Concerto, and Justin Peck’s Pulcinella Variations. Programme B includes Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free, Balanchine’s Allegro Brilliante and Rubies, and Christopher Wheeldon’s This Bitter Earth.

https://www.tivoli.dk/en/kultur-og-program/teater/2024/new-york-city-ballet-2024 

Thank you! I was trying to find this online and I couldn’t.

The Royal Danish Ballet will be performing Serenade in September. What a treat to see both RDB and NYCB perform.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 8:47 AM, abatt said:

Out of curiosity, was Ratmansky at the rehearsal of Pictures?

Ratmansky is in Amsterdam rehearsing dancers of the National Ballet of Ukraine in his Wartime Elegy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7XGO18AzQ1/

Added: My apologies, that reel seems to have come down. But there are some photos from the company's AD (including, I think a crew from Bel Air Classiques).

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7VLPJ-ocHy/

Edited by volcanohunter

Gaining a younger audience is definitely a goal at NYCB.  I was at a gala a few years ago in which Kathryn Brown, NYCB's Executive Director (I think) was very proudly bragging to the rich crowd that the average age of the NYCB audience members had decreased.  I forget what the figure was.

I'm happy if they are gaining new audiences, but my sense is that most of the younger set who show up for the specially priced shows don't necessarily come to other performances.

The ballet needs to attract a big, diverse audience. It’s great to see performances when the audience is close to full! & I would think older fans would be glad to see a new generation enjoying the art form. Also— those young audience members won’t stay that way for long, as we older people know well 😉 

from the end of the article:

As for the company’s financial health, it is strong, Brown says, four years after the pandemic cost tens of millions in losses The 2024 budget is roughly $102 million, compared to $88 million in 2019. Audience capacity has exceeded pre-pandemic levels.”

I am sure some folks only come for the 30-for-30 tickets, but I’m sure there are others who do decide to come back. 

On 5/22/2024 at 11:33 PM, cobweb said:

Did Ulysses Dove do any more worthy choreography that is extant?

Dove danced and choreographed at Ailey. They may still perform his work. 

He had a fascinating career. He also danced with Merce Cunningham, worked with Anna Sokolow and studied at the Kirov at one point. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

Gaining a younger audience is definitely a goal at NYCB.  I was at a gala a few years ago in which Kathryn Brown, NYCB's Executive Director (I think) was very proudly bragging to the rich crowd that the average age of the NYCB audience members had decreased.  I forget what the figure was.

I'm happy if they are gaining new audiences, but my sense is that most of the younger set who show up for the specially priced shows don't necessarily come to other performances.

The upper rings are closed for many performances. Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty much sold out. 

9 hours ago, vipa said:

The upper rings are closed for many performances. Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty much sold out. 

I was at a Donor's Preview for the 24-25 season and Wendy Whelan told the audience that the full length ballets sell out; Swan Lake, Midsummer, Coppelia, Nutcracker. I wonder if that was always true, even back in Balanchine's day.

5 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I was at a Donor's Preview for the 24-25 season and Wendy Whelan told the audience that the full length ballets sell out; Swan Lake, Midsummer, Coppelia, Nutcracker. I wonder if that was always true, even back in Balanchine's day.

Way back in Balanchine's day,  when Maria Tallchief was the undisputed star,  NYCB used to sell out a week's performances of Nutcracker at the Lyric Opera House in Chicago,  at Easter,  a very large venue.  That was my first exposure to the company.  (I can still see Tallchief's dazzling smile in my mind's eye.).  The company could easily sell out a run of Coppelia or Midsummer here,  expand their fan base and make some money.  Especially since both ballets need a horde of little local bunheads!

Last night there were people under 30 all around me who all loved a program that I really disliked. I enjoyed the middle portion with This Bitter Earth (Mearns was lovely) and Herman Schmerman (OMIGD a shirtless Mejia! He must spend lots of time at the gym and he and Tiler look so great together). I didn't like Love letter as much as I did at its debut although the cast were all wonderful - esp Stanley and Mabie. I did not like anything at all about the Tanowitz and it went on forever.  The only thing that got me through it was looking at how beautiful all of the dancers were. But the audience loved both new pieces, there was more applause for them than for the two pdd.