This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2024

26 minutes ago, Papagena said:

Oh apologies, I meant  Broken Wings - Carmen reviews sort of floated in the back end for me since most people were gushing about Broken Wings. 

Broken Wings I could see again and again. Absolutely wonderful.  

ABT has so many ballets in its repertory.   We all have our preferences, but there are so many other shorter works.  Why not a Tudor, a Tharp, a Rodeo as someone suggested, a Ratmansky.  I love Bayadere but I don't know if I love seeing one movement out of context.  I would  be happy to never see any version of the ballet Carmen again, or any ballet by Helen Pickett. 

The Royal used to do Bayadere as a one act piece (Nureyev set it for them) and Makarova staged the Shades scene for ABT before she did the full length version.  When the Kirov, no less, resumed touring to the U.S. in the 80s they brought a program that had Bayadere Shades scene as a stand alone act. Full lengths have been the norm for ABT for a while now, but that was not always so -- and perhaps need not be always so...Even if one prefers the full length ballet I think if ABT were fielding high quality casts for the shades scene, then people would want to see it. 

A related example: Baryshnikov presented Jardin Animé as a stand alone classical set piece with ABT rather than trying to stage the full length Corsaire.  Programming norms change. Maybe that is what will happen.

I actually agree that something will be lost--but the Bayadere Shades scene in particular holds up very well as a stand alone one-act classical work.

Edited by Drew

The first live performance by ABT that I ever saw was February 1989 in Chicago at the Lyric Opera House.  I saw the "Kingdom of the Shades" performed on a mixed program as a standalone.  The soloists were Marianna Tcherkassky and I believe Danilo Radojevic.  It was done as a standalone several times in the 70's and 80's though I attended only full-length "La Bayadere" performances once I moved to New York City in the 90's.  Makarova had no problem with the Shades act being performed as part of a mixed program back then and probably wouldn't now.  However, she is in her early 80's with bad arthritis and if ABT wants her to coach the new generation of dancers it has to be done pronto.  I think Makarova would not be open to revising her full-length production to cater to politically correct sensibilities, but I am not living in her brain so I wouldn't know for sure.  But her production honored and redacted the Konstantin Sergeyev production she danced in St. Petersburg in the 1960's and early 1970's.

BTW: slightly off-topic but on Sunday evening I attended the Ajkun Ballet Theater's 90 minute abridged version of "La Bayadère" which they performed in a dance studio behind City Center on Saturday and Sunday.  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/la-bayadere-tickets-713848950427?aff=oddtdtcreator.  They will bring it back on August 10th and 11th for those suffering from acute Bayadère withdrawal.  Now they only had 6 corps dancers (2 of which were soloists) and no ramp (or any scenery), so the descent of the Shades was omitted.  The music was on tape.  I will not suggest that these plucky and charming dancers are the technical or artistic equals of American Ballet Theater, the Mariinsky or the Paris Opéra Ballet which I have seen perform the ballet.  (I have yet to see the Bolshoi Grigorovich production but that isn't in the cards given the current political situation.)  Anyway I enjoyed what they offered of the ballet and was reminded why I love it so much.  Areum Jeong performed Gamzatti and didn't simplify or omit anything difficult and was a pleasure to watch.  Klevis Tafaj as Solor is very handsome and a good strong partner.  There is something about watching a classical ballet in the intimacy of a studio less than 10 feet from the dancers sharing the same space. 

Edited by FauxPas

I hope this question is OK to ask here... I'm thrilled to be coming to NYC in July to see Isabella Boylston in R&J. My sister and I are huge fans of hers so this is a special trip, and I'll be excited to report back on the performance. 

Can someone let me know of a couple good dinner places near the theater? We'd like to be within walking distance (and will be in heels so the closer the better). We're open to eating before or after the show. And while I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm also flexible on price point. Thank you! 

11 minutes ago, SaraBW said:

I hope this question is OK to ask here... I'm thrilled to be coming to NYC in July to see Isabella Boylston in R&J. My sister and I are huge fans of hers so this is a special trip, and I'll be excited to report back on the performance. 

Can someone let me know of a couple good dinner places near the theater? We'd like to be within walking distance (and will be in heels so the closer the better). We're open to eating before or after the show. And while I'm not looking to break the bank, I'm also flexible on price point. Thank you! 

My favorites nearby are Rosa Mexicana which has great drinks and amazing guacamole. Other food is good too!!

Also the Smith, which is dependable and huge. and while it isn't going to knock your socks off, the food will be good and you aren't going to get anything that's disappointing.

Fiorello's is also dependable if you want Italian (and I believe Boylston has posted about eating there before as she loves pasta!), but for my money it's too expensive for how good it is.

56 minutes ago, liebs said:

Bar Boulud, right across the street, is great, The Smith, IMO, is way too noisy. Lincoln Ristorante, which is right on the Lincoln Center campus is excellent. 

I agree. If you want a truly excellent dinner, conveniently located (it's steps from the Met), and don't mind a notch up in price (but also quality) from the others, I'd say definitely go to the Lincoln.

Edited by nanushka

Good point about R&J. I've seen it several times and do know it's long - especially if the orchestra plays the tempos the way I like them. When Cincinnati Ballet does it, the conductor takes it all way too fast, which robs the power of the music (Lady Capulet's piece after Tybalt's death should be a REAL dirge) and is tough on the dancers (the balcony scene in particular seems to leave them breathless, and not in a romantic, young-love kind of way). Hoping the ABT orchestra gives the music the depth and breadth it deserves. 

16 hours ago, Papagena said:

Fall Season 1 Act maybe??? How glorious that would be. 

Zimmi9 just reposted Scout's Story rehearsing Shades! Unfortunately, the stories are only up for 24 hours and links don't work. 

If Jaffe is planning Kingdom of the Shades for Fall, she will win a lot of friends here!

16 hours ago, nanushka said:

I agree. If you want a truly excellent dinner, conveniently located (it's steps from the Met), and don't mind a notch up in price (but also quality) from the others, I'd say definitely go to the Lincoln.

Having been to Lincoln I have to say it is very pricey.  Be prepared for sticker shock.

5 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

If/when it reopens, I'd add Boulud Sud to the list. I've always had excellent food there. It's pricey but probably a hair less so than Lincoln (also great). Boulud Sud has been closed for renovations since the winter, though, with no reopening date provided.

That is curious.  Why would they decide to renovate now instead of in the summer, which is a slow season in NYC for restaurants.  I'm wondering if it will reopen at all.

4 hours ago, California said:

Zimmi9 just reposted Scout's Story rehearsing Shades! Unfortunately, the stories are only up for 24 hours and links don't work. 

If Jaffe is planning Kingdom of the Shades for Fall, she will win a lot of friends here!

It is possible those are old videos they just decided to post. I’d find it odd to rehearse anything now that isn’t part of the Met season.

30 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

It is possible those are old videos they just decided to post. I’d find it odd to rehearse anything now that isn’t part of the Met season.

Yes - but what an interesting choice of old videos! Was 2018 the last time ABT did Shades? They had been rehearsing it for 2020 but that was cancelled. 

Forsythe was a corps member then. Perhaps a hint to her new artistic director??

https://www.abt.org/people/scout-forsythe/?type=performer