This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2024

1 hour ago, California said:

Yes - but what an interesting choice of old videos! Was 2018 the last time ABT did Shades? They had been rehearsing it for 2020 but that was cancelled. 

Forsythe was a corps member then. Perhaps a hint to her new artistic director??

https://www.abt.org/people/scout-forsythe/?type=performer

I also wondered if it could be a hint to Jaffe. Yes, 2018 was the last time they did Bayadere - that was Lane’s Nikiya debut. 

6 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I also wondered if it could be a hint to Jaffe. Yes, 2018 was the last time they did Bayadere - that was Lane’s Nikiya debut. 

Wow, that would really be something if they brought Lane back. I would actually drag my 100-year-old (rounding off to the nearest hundred) body from Westchester to the Met for that.

11 minutes ago, angelica said:

Wow, that would really be something if they brought Lane back. I would actually drag my 100-year-old (rounding off to the nearest hundred) body from Westchester to the Met for that.

Hard to imagine they'd bring back Lane. I think Misseldine and Brandt would be likely as Nikiya. In 2020, they had planned Hurlin as Gamzatti and Bell as Solor. 

9 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

It is possible those are old videos they just decided to post. I’d find it odd to rehearse anything now that isn’t part of the Met season.

Maybe, they’re not really rehearsing for an actual performance but Susan and the ballet masters are just preparing the newer members of the corps who has not danced the ABT La Bayadere before .Just a thought.

1 hour ago, California said:

ABT just sent Friends expanded casting for Onegin and Woolf Works

b112885b-da3e-0a25-f202-84c09c169c23.png

6ac75c75-d929-fd64-1715-cdffafcedf54.png
ad15634e-cc1a-22e3-d3ac-14e9a12fdbb2.png

Thank you! Any chance they also sent you expanded casting for SL and R&J?

(have been lurking for a few months, - this is my first post, hello!) Thank you so much for posting! I am a longtime fan & subscriber to the Philadelphia Ballet and really hoping to see Jake Roxander at ABT some time this summer, as I am a big fan of his brother here in Philly. The date I was eyeing does not have him listed for Woolf Works - I might hold out for casting for R&J or SL to see if one of those dates works for me, even though I was hoping to see a new-to-me production. 

8 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Thank you! Any chance they also sent you expanded casting for SL and R&J?

They have only announced the first two weeks so far. When they send more, I'll post here.

14 minutes ago, lunaysol said:

(have been lurking for a few months, - this is my first post, hello!) Thank you so much for posting! I am a longtime fan & subscriber to the Philadelphia Ballet and really hoping to see Jake Roxander at ABT some time this summer, as I am a big fan of his brother here in Philly. The date I was eyeing does not have him listed for Woolf Works - I might hold out for casting for R&J or SL to see if one of those dates works for me, even though I was hoping to see a new-to-me production. 

Welcome! If you want to be wowed, catch his Mercutio - casting still to be released. I’m sure his Benno and Lensky will also be incredible. 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Welcome! If you want to be wowed, catch his Mercutio - casting still to be released. I’m sure his Benno and Lensky will also be incredible. 

Lensky is a great role. I'll never forget Jared Matthews doing the long adagio. Of course, McK didn't promote him and he left the company (for Houston? I'm not sure where he went after that. I don't remember if Lensky also has the dazzle-dazzle of Mercutio, though.

18 minutes ago, angelica said:

Lensky is a great role. I'll never forget Jared Matthews doing the long adagio. Of course, McK didn't promote him and he left the company (for Houston? I'm not sure where he went after that. I don't remember if Lensky also has the dazzle-dazzle of Mercutio, though.

Jared Matthews went to Houston as a principal, then to Estonia as an assistant director.

https://our2ndhome.org/episode-17-dancing-curiously-living-generously-with-jared-matthews/

I'm glad that Bell will have one performance as Lensky, with Hurlin as Olga. That will be Misseldine's debut as Tatiana. Too bad they'll only have that one performance, when all the other casts have two.

28 minutes ago, California said:

I'm glad that Bell will have one performance as Lensky, with Hurlin as Olga. That will be Misseldine's debut as Tatiana. Too bad they'll only have that one performance, when all the other casts have two.

I was surprised with that. Bell should have received two shows, and Ahn one. But, Bell has suffered with injuries in the past so maybe this is for the best.

7 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Thank you! After looking at my schedule I picked the R&J date that my calendar allows and scored a mother's day discount on the ticket! Really hoping I get lucky with a Rox casting on that day. Fingers crossed! 

9 hours ago, California said:

Jared Matthews went to Houston as a principal, then to Estonia as an assistant director.

California, thank you including the link to the interview with Jared. What a thoughtful and inspirational dancer/coach/director he has grown to be. Wishing him much luck in the next phase of his career and life. 

The podcast Conversations on Dance recently had Susan Jaffe on where she talks a little about programming and future performances including the Fall. 
You can listen directly on their website or go to Spotify or Apple Podcast and search Conversations on Dance episode 395. Based on this episode, it seems like she hasnt been able to really put herself 100% into her role. Hopefully with the new Executive Director thing can start moving. 

https://www.conversationsondancepod.com/episodes-transcripts/395-susan-jaffe-american-ballet-theatre 

I really appreciate ABT for what it was and what it could be again. I’m rooting for them to get it together. I think there is a combination of factors going on here including terrible fundraising and marketing. I get harassed (and I actually mean to use that word) multiple times a year from ABT to donate. However it seems like it is just a volunteer who doesn’t know how to professionally navigate someone saying no or how to navigate different options for the potential donor. It really has turned me  off to donating and I have ended up giving to NYCB instead in the past. Get in some boots on the ground who actually know how to appropriately handle givings and donations. Additionally there are some principals who have got to go. And I don’t mean because they can’t do 10 pirouettes. Yeah doing a billion fouette turns is impressive, but that doesn’t carry the whole ballet. I feel like artistry is being lost more and more for tricks. Additionally there are some promotions that I found unnecessary such as Roman Zhurbin. I am eager for the next generation to start leaving more of their mark. As much as I enjoy NYCB, and go to their shows weekly, my true love is for the classics and what ABT used to bring. I’ll be here for it as soon as it is back!

22 hours ago, Pepino23 said:

The podcast Conversations on Dance recently had Susan Jaffe on where she talks a little about programming and future performances including the Fall. 
You can listen directly on their website or go to Spotify or Apple Podcast and search Conversations on Dance episode 395. Based on this episode, it seems like she hasnt been able to really put herself 100% into her role. Hopefully with the new Executive Director thing can start moving. 

https://www.conversationsondancepod.com/episodes-transcripts/395-susan-jaffe-american-ballet-theatre 

I really appreciate ABT for what it was and what it could be again. I’m rooting for them to get it together. I think there is a combination of factors going on here including terrible fundraising and marketing. I get harassed (and I actually mean to use that word) multiple times a year from ABT to donate. However it seems like it is just a volunteer who doesn’t know how to professionally navigate someone saying no or how to navigate different options for the potential donor. It really has turned me  off to donating and I have ended up giving to NYCB instead in the past. Get in some boots on the ground who actually know how to appropriately handle givings and donations. Additionally there are some principals who have got to go. And I don’t mean because they can’t do 10 pirouettes. Yeah doing a billion fouette turns is impressive, but that doesn’t carry the whole ballet. I feel like artistry is being lost more and more for tricks. Additionally there are some promotions that I found unnecessary such as Roman Zhurbin. I am eager for the next generation to start leaving more of their mark. As much as I enjoy NYCB, and go to their shows weekly, my true love is for the classics and what ABT used to bring. I’ll be here for it as soon as it is back!

Thank you for flagging this. I always forget to check that podcast for their latest episode.

I think everyone who loves (or loves to hate) ABT should listen to this. One comment I didn't love, or have mixed feelings on, was when Jaffe said that the new contract that was finally agreed upon for the dancers would be very hard on the organization. I feel like that comment could be interpreted a few different ways.

Jaffe spoke at length about repertoire and that she was trying to find ways to bring some classics back without the troublesome narratives for today's audience (that's not verbatim, I don't recall her language but that's the gist of it). So, I'm hopeful she's working on La Bayadere and Le Corsaire. She addressed some of the criticism for LWFC and Woolf Works and why she programmed last Fall as she did. Next year is the company's 85th anniversary, so the Met 2025 season will feature one program that will be like "stepping back into the ABT of 1940's". So, I'm hopeful that will include Tudor, DeMille, maybe Dark Elegies, Les Sylphides, Theme and Variations, and some other classics not seen in years. Please not Fancy Free. Another program will be all Tharp. 

She mentioned having to have some tough conversations with a few dancers who needed to step it up a notch (boy, was my curiosity peaked) and she gave a lengthy shout-out to Sascha Radetsky, AD of the studio company, for his talent sourcing and steadfast leadership. I loved that part. 

5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Another program will be all Tharp. 

An all-Tharp program would be very welcome in 2025: https://www.abt.org/people/twyla-tharp/?type=archive

I vote for In the Upper Room and Bach Partita. Deuce Coupe was a great success a few years ago, too. 

I suppose we are long past the possibility of a revival of Push Comes to Shove, although I long thought Daniil Simkin would have been great. Kimin Kim did it at the Mariinsky some years ago (presumably with Tharp's approval), but I've never seen notice of any other revivals.

Just an FYI on Tharp….This is part of Northrop’s 2024-25 season here in Minnesota! (Jan 2025)

Twyla Tharp celebrates her 60th anniversary with a groundbreaking evening of stellar dancing and phenomenal musicianship—including the world premiere of a new work that marks her six decades as a choreographer. An innovative dance set to Philip Glass’s Aguas da Amazonia, the new work has music arranged in close collaboration with Tharp and performed live by Third Coast Percussion on a unique collection of custom-designed percussion instruments. In addition, her Diabelli Variations, set to Beethoven’s intensely demanding masterpiece, reveals its elegant humor and commands technical prowess—and energy—as performers change effortlessly from ballet, to jazz, to modern, with bits of social and street dance.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Next year is the company's 85th anniversary, so the Met 2025 season will feature one program that will be like "stepping back into the ABT of 1940's". So, I'm hopeful that will include Tudor, DeMille, maybe Dark Elegies, Les Sylphides, Theme and Variations, and some other classics not seen in years. Please not Fancy Free. Another program will be all Tharp. 

I just listened to the episode and heard Jaffe say those programs will be for the 2025 "Koch Season," not the Met. I think full-length ballets will continue to be prioritized at the Met.

Jaffe sounds overall intelligent and empathetic and like she knows what she's doing, even if I'm not necessarily excited about all of her programming choices. Playing the role of AD and ED simultaneously sounds like a nightmare. And the company's financial situation sounds challenging to say the least. 

I would also love to hear more about those "difficult conversations" with dancers 🤔 Some of the principals and soloists are beyond the point of "stepping it up" at this point and would be better off retiring difficult classical roles altogether. 

33 minutes ago, matilda said:

I just listened to the episode and heard Jaffe say those programs will be for the 2025 "Koch Season," not the Met. I think full-length ballets will continue to be prioritized at the Met.

Jaffe sounds overall intelligent and empathetic and like she knows what she's doing, even if I'm not necessarily excited about all of her programming choices. Playing the role of AD and ED simultaneously sounds like a nightmare. And the company's financial situation sounds challenging to say the least. 

I would also love to hear more about those "difficult conversations" with dancers 🤔 Some of the principals and soloists are beyond the point of "stepping it up" at this point and would be better off retiring difficult classical roles altogether. 

Thanks for the correction.

I would not want to be her, especially juggling two demanding roles. Some of those dancers need to retire altogether.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:19 AM, California said:

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but based on the Gremin casting, and his recent DC Rothbart, I'm hoping Joey Markey gets cast as Benno,  Benvolio, or Paris this year.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:19 AM, California said:

Thanks, California...there are so many riches in the lower-billed roles here!  It's huge that Coker's getting her Olga in Onegin, given how they've power-cast everyone other than Gremin with principals/soloists...and in the leading and Friday night casts, no less! And I'm glad to see Markey and Ischuk in the mix, too:  Gremin is such a good, sympathetic role for showcasing a guy as a partner. It will be great to see Granlund in Woolf Works, too, now that she's had time to recover and Li in a non-classical work.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:29 PM, Becki Lee said:

Scout Forsythe posted “Shades, La Bayadere” rehearsal photo on her Instagram story.

https://www.instagram.com/scoutforsythe?igsh=bWhnNTdtY3d0cDcx

...and confirmed that they would be performing it next year (in some form, at least) in the comment thread of another Instagram post:  https://www.instagram.com/p/C6kgRxvse8w/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Speaking of freestanding excerpts from a full-lengths:  I've actually been rather surprised to have never seen Nureyev's Raymonda Act III at ABT, as it has a stature of its own as a freestanding work. (I know Kolpakova and McKenzie staged a set of divertissements from Raymonda, but that never really took root in the rep.)

Edited by choriamb
Edited to cut historical Shades production info that I just realized was mentioned up-thread