This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2024

2 hours ago, MJ said:

I notice the ABT gala will NOT be at the Met.

it will be at a fancy catering hall on 42nd street.

The main downside: when it was at the Met, you could buy tickets to performance-only and see the famous people in the orchestra.

18 hours ago, MJ said:

I notice the ABT gala will NOT be at the Met.

it will be at a fancy catering hall on 42nd street.

Wow, that is sound weird.  I wonder what kind of actual dancing can be done in a catering hall....

According to the ABT online calendar, casting for Woolf Works in Orange County is as follows:

April 11, 13 evening    Teuscher/Whiteside

April 12, 14                    Seo/Bell

April 13 matinee          Murphy/Ahn

I assume the Whiteside/Bell/Ahn casting is for Septimus Smith, created by Ed Watson.  There are a lot of roles for dancers to make their mark in this beautiful work.   In O.C., Alessandra Ferri is not dancing (I'm so disappointed, but fortunately I saw her dance this twice last year).  Please see be sure to see her in NY, she is superb.   Given the comments about Whiteside's injury above, we shall soon have an idea as to his recovery.  I am seeing each cast. 

21 hours ago, California said:

Notice was just sent out by email that ticket sales for the public for the ABT Met season start Monday, April 22.

Friends will be able to start purchasing on Monday, April 15.

Curious how the season will sell, my selfish reasons I wish there would be some oldies but goodies like Coppélia or something fun! I don't know how many SL, R&J, and LWFC I can handle! Even Wheeldon's Alice In Wonderland with the colors and fun characters, seems more family-friendly IMHO.

5 hours ago, DPell said:

It looks like Royal will be dancing Lensky.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C40UMqnA5jl/?igsh=MWZjc2p5eGlld2t4MQ==

Fantastic role for him! This season is so unlike 2017 (I think?) when I went 3 times because there were so many great Tatiana/Onegin pairings. This year, the Lensky/Olga role will probably sway my choice pretty heavily. Curley and Roxander seem like no-brainers as well. 

Edited by Papagena
39 minutes ago, Papagena said:

Fantastic role for him! This season is so unlike 2017 (I think?) when I went 3 times because there were so many great Tatiana/Onegin pairings. This year, the Lensky/Olga role will probably sway my choice pretty heavily. Curley and Roxander seem like no-brainers as well. 

I'm unfamiliar with the ballet and the role of Tatiana. Are you shocked that Chloe was cast as Tatiana? Is that a role you think she can do well in? Otherwise, it's just Teuscher, Schevchenko and Seo for Tatiana right? 

50 minutes ago, balletlover08 said:

I'm unfamiliar with the ballet and the role of Tatiana. Are you shocked that Chloe was cast as Tatiana? Is that a role you think she can do well in? Otherwise, it's just Teuscher, Schevchenko and Seo for Tatiana right? 

Not shocked, but Missledine will definitely be the wild card of the cast. Debuts are always exciting and I'm definitely going to get a ticket to hers. Tatiana is supposed to be a very young teen so it does make sense age-wise, but she also has to carry the ballet from a dramatic, not technique-driven place to sell the character's growth from lovestruck teen to a self-assured woman of status who teeters on the brink of collapse when Onegin comes back to her. 

Years ago it the principal casts were the likes of Vishneva, Ferri, and Abrera (Seo as well), extremely accomplished dramatic ballerinas. Ferri was in her 50s when I saw her and her transformation knocked my socks off (I'll never forget her entrance in Act II). The Onegins at the time were the likes of Bolle, Gomes, and Hallberg - men who can captivate the audience just by walking on stage. It's a high standard I just have to let go of this year and enjoy myself. 

While I very much  enjoy Teuscher and Schevchenko in many things, I'm not as compelled to see them in this. Hee Seo has done this role for years so she is probably the safest pick for a nice, lived-in performance. However Teuscher is partnered with Camargo, who brings a youthful passion and freshness to his work that will probably work well in this ballet.  

Basically, I don't have any solid answers except that the Schevchenko / Streans cast would be the one I would not attend due to dancer style preferences (seeing Schevchenko in SL instead).  

Edited by Papagena

Gala news:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE TO HOST 2024 SPRING GALA: BALLET BRILLIANCE TUESDAY, MAY 14, 2024, AT CIPRIANI 42ND STREET

NEW YORK, NY (March 25, 2024) – American Ballet Theatre will host the 2024 Spring Gala: Ballet Brilliance on Tuesday, May 14, 2024, at 6:30 P.M. at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City. Performed by ABT’s extraordinary dancers, this one-night-only program will feature a curated selection of excerpts from ABT’s upcoming 2024 Summer season, including a preview of Wayne McGregor’s Woolf Works ahead of the New York Premiere.

Repertory for ABT’s 2024 Spring Gala will include the pas de deux from Acts II and III from Kevin McKenzie’s production of Swan Lake with music by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky; two pas de deux excerpts from John Cranko’s Onegin with music by Tchaikovsky; excerpts of “Becomings” and “Tuesday” from Wayne McGregor’s Woolf Works; the Act III pas de deux from Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet set to music by Sergei Prokofiev; and the Act III pas de deux from Christopher Wheeldon’s Like Water for Chocolate with music by Joby Talbot.

Dancers scheduled to perform are Joo Won Ahn, Aran Bell, Isabella Boylston, Skylar Brandt, Herman Cornejo, Thomas Forster, Catherine Hurlin, Gillian Murphy, Calvin Royal III, Christine Shevchenko, Cory Stearns, Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, James Whiteside, Chloe Misseldine, and Jake Roxander.

Following the performance, Gala guests will enjoy dinner and dancing.

The Gala evening will honor Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Chai Vasarhelyi for her incomparable commitment to artistic excellence and innovation as a filmmaker, as well as her fervent advocacy of classical ballet.

Honorary Chairs for the 2024 Spring Gala are Susan Fales-Hill, Elizabeth Segerstrom, and Blaine Trump. Gala Chairs include Sarah Arison, Amy Astley, Avery and Andrew Barth, Emily Blavatnik, Hamish Bowles, Malcolm Carfrae, Mr. and Mrs. Austin T. Fragomen, Christine and Stephen Schwarzman, Jenna and Paul Segal, Melissa A. Smith, and Sutton Stracke. Casey Kohlberg, Lilah Ramzi, and Zachary Weiss will serve as Junior Chairs.

To learn more and purchase tickets, please visit ABT’s website or contact ABT’s Special Events Department with any questions.

Complete casting follows.

ABT 2024 Summer Season

ABT’s 2024 Summer season will run from June 18 – July 20 at the Metropolitan Opera House. The season will kick off with seven performances of John Cranko’s Onegin beginning on Tuesday evening, June 18 at 7:30 P.M. with Devon Teuscher and Daniel Camargo in the leading roles.

The New York Premiere of Wayne McGregor’s Woolf Works is set for Tuesday evening, June 25 at 7:30 P.M. Woolf Works, an award-winning ballet triptych, re-creates the emotions, themes, and fluid style of three of Virginia Woolf’s novels: Mrs. Dalloway, Orlando, and The Waves. Woolf Works will be given seven performances through June 29.

Week three of ABT’s Summer season will open on Monday evening, July 1 with the first of eight performances of Swan Lake, led by Isabella Boylston as Odette-Odile and Daniel Camargo as Prince Siegfried. Next, Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet will open on Tuesday evening, July 9 with Devon Teuscher and Aran Bell in the title roles, running for seven performances through July 13. The final week of the 2024 Summer season will feature seven performances of Like Water for Chocolate beginning Tuesday evening, July 16 at 7:30 P.M. with Cassandra Trenary as Tita and Herman Cornejo as Pedro.

*All casting, programming, and pricing are subject to change.

ABOUT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world. Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full-length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America's National Ballet Company®.

Swan Lake is generously underwritten by R. Chemers Neustein.

American Ballet Theatre’s performances of Romeo and Juliet are generously underwritten through an endowed gift from Ali and Monica Wambold.

Leadership support of ABT's New Works Initiative is provided by the Blavatnik Family Foundation, Mark Casey and Carrie Gaiser Casey, The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund, and through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Commissions and presentations of new works by women choreographers are supported by the ABT Women’s Movement. Champion support for the ABT Women’s Movement is provided by Jenna Segal.

Special thanks to Denise Littlefield Sobel for her leadership gifts to: ABT Today Fund, advancing the Company’s mission; and ABT RISE, fueling the Company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of The Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

2024 SPRING GALA - CASTING.pdf

On 3/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, ABT Fan said:

So Misseldine and Roxander are performing at the gala! Misseldine is maybe doing one of the SL pas, but I’m betting Roxander will get Lensky and perform one of those pas at the gala.

2024 Spring Gala: Ballet Brilliance

Swan Lake
(Act II pas de deux)
  Boylston, Ahn

Onegin
(Olga and Lensky pas de deux)
  Brandt, Roxander

Woolf Works
(“Becomings” excerpt)
  Misseldine, Royal

Romeo and Juliet
(Act III pas de deux)
  Murphy, Forster

Onegin
(an Act I pas de deux)
  Shevchenko, Stearns

Like Water for Chocolate
(Act III pas de deux)
  Trenary, Cornejo

Woolf Works
(excerpt from “Tuesday”)
  Teuscher, Whiteside

Swan Lake
(Act III pas de deux)
  Hurlin, Bell

I looked at the casts and saw Alessandra Ferri in Woolf Works but not Misty Copeland in any role. Carlos Gonzalez is dancing the lead in Like Water for Chocolate, but no lead roles for Jake Roxander or Jarod Curley. Maybe next season! I'm excited about the Chloe Misseldine/Aran Bell Swan Lake.

Edited by Rick
Typo!
37 minutes ago, Rick said:

I looked at the casts and saw Alessandra Ferri in Woolf Works but not Misty Copeland in any role. Carlos Gonzalez is dancing the lead in Like Water for Chocolate, but no lead roles for Jake Roxander or Jarod Curley. Maybe next season! I'm excited about the Chloe Misseldine/Aran Bell Swan Lake.

I’m sure we’ll get Roxander as Benno and Mercutio at the very least. Lensky casting still has to be posted. As for Curley, he’s bound to do Ballroom Rothbart, and hopefully John Brown again in Water for Chocolate. I’m crossing my fingers for Curley to be cast as Tybalt. For those who have seen Onegin before, how big a role is Gremin?