This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

I am going to be unpopular on this. I love R and J and never tire of it. ABT performs it beautifully and it is a standard in their repertoire. It is very popular with audiences. I do agree about casting, though. What will be the R and J pairings?  Skylar is due her Juliet.

6 hours ago, MoMo said:

I am going to be unpopular on this. I love R and J and never tire of it. ABT performs it beautifully and it is a standard in their repertoire. It is very popular with audiences. I do agree about casting, though. What will be the R and J pairings?  Skylar is due her Juliet.

The R&J pairs this season are Teuscher/Bell, Hurlin/Royal III, Boylston/Camargo, Seo/Stearns, Murphy/Whiteside, Shevchenko/Forster, and Trenary/Cornejo. Hopefully Brandt will get her Juliette sooner rather than later.

Edited by DPell
I made a spelling error

Misty's partner of choice is usually Cornejo, although I think she was scheduled to dance R&J with Royal before the pandemic. How much longer do we think Cornejo can hang on as a principal?

I can't even imagine how Misty could dance Giselle in 2024 after having been off the stage for this many years.

21 minutes ago, abatt said:

Misty's partner of choice is usually Cornejo, although I think she was scheduled to dance R&J with Royal before the pandemic. How much longer do we think Cornejo can hang on as a principal?

I can't even imagine how Misty could dance Giselle in 2024 after having been off the stage for this many years.

How much longer can Murphy hang on as a principal? It’s possible she could retire before Copeland returns, which would open up a Juliet spot (&O/O, Giselle, etc). But, the partner issue remains. Copeland was scheduled to dance R&J with Royal pre-covid. I don’t know if Cornejo can hang on long enough for her return, although he has been having a great run lately. I think the reason Brandt hasn’t been given a Juliet yet is a lack of suitable partners to go around. 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

How much longer can Murphy hang on as a principal? It’s possible she could retire before Copeland returns, which would open up a Juliet spot (&O/O, Giselle, etc). But, the partner issue remains. Copeland was scheduled to dance R&J with Royal pre-covid. I don’t know if Cornejo can hang on long enough for her return, although he has been having a great run lately. I think the reason Brandt hasn’t been given a Juliet yet is a lack of suitable partners to go around. 

I agree. The number of male partners is lacking and in my opinion there aren’t enough male soloists, who could partner. 

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I thought it was interesting that Murphy and Cornejo are scheduled for the last two days of the Met season - Murphy on the 21st and Cornejo on the 22nd. If anybody is about to retire, that's the time and place to do it. Cornejo has been looking so strong lately, I wonder if he'll hang on for another year. Murphy seems most likely to retire, to me. 

I listened to the portion of Whiteside's podcast where Copeland discusses her future plans, and she also mentions retirement. She says a second documentary about her life is in the works and that the idea is for it to culminate with her retirement from ABT. She says it's possible 2023-2024 may be the season she retires, but she's basically playing it by ear. The way she mentions Giselle and Romeo and Juliet in spring 2024 makes it sound like they are programmed, but it's not entirely clear. I fear all we're going to see are warhorses in the Met season from now on...

I'd be surprised if Murphy continues beyond the 2024, or even the 2023, season. ABT's typical late-career vehicles -- Macmillan and Giselle -- have never been her calling card. I wish I could see her in Sylvia one last time, but I realize that's not realistic to hope for, for a variety of reasons.

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 hours ago, California said:

I thought it was interesting that Murphy and Cornejo are scheduled for the last two days of the Met season - Murphy on the 21st and Cornejo on the 22nd. If anybody is about to retire, that's the time and place to do it. Cornejo has been looking so strong lately, I wonder if he'll hang on for another year. Murphy seems most likely to retire, to me. 

Yes, I noticed this too.  I'm wondering if either one will retire this season.

I don’t think ABT has had a particular tradition of holding farewells in the final day or two of the Met season in recent years, and when there have been major farewells they’ve tended to be announced well in advance. Neither of which is to say it won’t happen for either dancer, just that the timing of their scheduled performances doesn’t make me think it’s especially likely.

Edited by nanushka

Jarod Curley from the corps is a very promising dancer/actor/partner who could eventually lead the big ballets. Thankfully management seems to be recognizing his talents, as he's dancing Some Assembly Required on tour. They do need more promising lead males though, not just the Mercutio types. Jonathan Klein is a very fine dancer but he needs a lot more practice with partnering.  

35 minutes ago, matilda said:

Jarod Curley from the corps is a very promising dancer/actor/partner who could eventually lead the big ballets. Thankfully management seems to be recognizing his talents, as he's dancing Some Assembly Required on tour. They do need more promising lead males though, not just the Mercutio types. Jonathan Klein is a very fine dancer but he needs a lot more practice with partnering.  

Jarod Curley is absolutely fabulous in every way - technique, acting, partnering & versatility. I was surprised that he wasn't included in the last batch of promotions.

19 hours ago, nysusan said:

Jarod Curley is absolutely fabulous in every way - technique, acting, partnering & versatility. I was surprised that he wasn't included in the last batch of promotions.

Jaffe gave Jarod Curley 1 Lord Montague at the KC.  No Paris or Benvolio or Tybalt.  1 of 4 male soloists is a complete package-Hoven.  Klein was not listed on the final digital casting sheets as Mercutio but was listed as Mandolin in 3 shows.  ABT should have updated. Boylston-Camargo made magic.  Forster was great.  Shevchenko  had an annoying clacque with multiple disruptions in the balcony scene.    

Edited by maps

Waiting  for casting to be published for Like Water for Chocolate. ABT will be premiering it March29-April 2nd, at Segerstrom in Costa Mesa.  I have seen a few rehearsal scenes on Instagram: Herman Cornejo and Cassie Trenary. Also Devon Tuescher and Joo Won Ahn. Skylar Brandt showed a scene with Jose Sebastian with a fabulous lift! 

1 hour ago, MoMo said:

Waiting  for casting to be published for Like Water for Chocolate. ABT will be premiering it March29-April 2nd, at Segerstrom in Costa Mesa.  I have seen a few rehearsal scenes on Instagram: Herman Cornejo and Cassie Trenary. Also Devon Tuescher and Joo Won Ahn. Skylar Brandt showed a scene with Jose Sebastian with a fabulous lift! 

Seems like carmaggio and Sunmi park as well (Carl Lopez posted a story but it may be gone now). 

Edited by balletlover08
10 hours ago, MoMo said:

I’m regularly checking the Sergstrom site and ABT site for any casting updates. I’d imagine casting will be announced soon. We’re a month out from the premiere