This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

They are are really betting on Like Water for Chocolate to succeed, with 12 performances. Seems very risky given how poorly their last big premiere (Of Love and Rage) sold. Like Water for Chocolate the book and movie aren't exactly in the cultural zeitgeist enough for this to be a guaranteed hit. Time will tell. I wish the season had more variety in four weeks, and it's pretty sad that this is what the Met season has come to. Hope all goes well regardless, and looking forward to June. 

Swan Queen Murphy getting the Wednesday matinee? Ouch. Not surprising given her age though. I guess there aren't a whole lot of performances to go around these days.

9 minutes ago, abatt said:

After all of the rehearsal time and funds that were put into Of Love and Rage, I'm a bit surprised it's not on the roster.  

12 performances of Like Water for Chocolate?  That's too much.  It's not Swan Lake.

I can't believe they are banking on Like Water for Chocolate to sell 12 performances. After seeing The Winter's Tale, I feel no need to see a Wheeldon full-length ever again.

It's kind of sad that Gillian's O/O has been relegated to the Wednesday matinee, with Hurlin's debut that evening (normally you'd expect it the other way around). I don't disagree with this decision, but it's kind of sad nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, Becki Lee said:

Has Devin done Giselle before??

Only Myrtha as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I can't believe they are banking on Like Water for Chocolate to sell 12 performances. After seeing The Winter's Tale, I feel no need to see a Wheeldon full-length ever again.

It's kind of sad that Gillian's O/O has been relegated to the Wednesday matinee, with Hurlin's debut that evening (normally you'd expect it the other way around). I don't disagree with this decision, but it's kind of sad nonetheless.

Only Myrtha as far as I'm aware. 

Hurlin actually debuted O/O last Met season (a Wednesday matinee) and it was a big success with a glowing NYT review. So it does seem fitting she'd get a primetime spot along with other big debuts now.  

31 minutes ago, abatt said:

Checked the online brochure for casting.  Hurlin will debut as Juliet and as Giselle.   Teuscher also gets a Giselle debut.  No Misty anywhere in the casting. 

Misty said in her interview on CBS morning yesterday, that she will be back Winter 2023. 

Official release: 

NEW YORK PREMIERE OF CHRISTOPHER WHEELDON’S LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE TO HIGHLIGHT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S SUMMER SEASON AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE, JUNE 22–JULY 22, 2023

SUBSCRIPTIONS ON SALE WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 AT 1:00 P.M.

NEW YORK, NY (November 16, 2022) – American Ballet Theatre’s 2023 Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House, June 22 – July 22, will feature the New York Premiere of Tony Award winner Christopher Wheeldon’s Like Water for Chocolate. Three of ABT’s most beloved classic productions, Giselle, Swan Lake, and Romeo and Juliet, will round out the season, announced today by incoming Artistic Director Susan Jaffe.

Principal Dancers for the 2023 Summer season include Joo Won Ahn, Aran Bell, Isabella Boylston, Skylar Brandt, Daniel Camargo, Herman Cornejo, Thomas Forster, Catherine Hurlin, Gillian Murphy, Calvin Royal III, Hee Seo, Christine Shevchenko, Cory Stearns, Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, James Whiteside, and Roman Zhurbin.

Opening Night Gala and New York Premiere

The Opening Night Gala performance, taking place on Thursday evening, June 22 at 6:30 P.M. at the Metropolitan Opera House, marks the New York Premiere of Like Water for Chocolate, a three-act ballet inspired by Laura Esquivel’s bestselling novel of the same name. From the award-winning team of choreographer Christopher Wheeldon and composer Joby Talbot, this co-production with The Royal Ballet features scenery and costumes by Bob Crowley, lighting by Natasha Katz, and video design by Luke Halls.

Like Water for Chocolate tells the story of Tita, a young Mexican woman who is overwhelmed by a sense of duty and family tradition. Tita’s only form of expression is through cooking, but her life takes an unexpected turn when she falls in forbidden love with her wealthy neighbor Pedro. The ballet received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet on June 2, 2022 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London. It is scheduled to receive its North American Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on March 29, 2023 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California. The ballet will receive 12 performances through Saturday, July 1 during ABT’s Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Classic Full-Lengths

The season’s first performance of the full-length production of Giselle will be given on Monday evening, July 3 at 7:30 P.M., with Hee Seo in the title role alongside Cory Stearns as Albrecht. Staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, and Marius Petipa,Giselle is set to music by Adolphe Adam, orchestrated by John Lanchbery, with scenery by Gianni Quaranta, costumes by Anna Anni, and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. The world premiere of Giselle, one of the oldest continually performed ballets, occurred at the Theatre de l’Academie Royale de Musique in Paris on June 28, 1841. The ballet was first presented by ABT (then Ballet Theatre) at the Center Theatre in New York City on January 12, 1940, with choreography by Anton Dolin and scenery and costumes by Lucinda Ballard. The leading roles were danced by Annabelle Lyon and Anton Dolin. ABT’s sixth production, featuring scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni, was created for the film Dancers, produced in 1987 by Cannon Films. This production’s first public performance was given on March 20, 1987 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, with Marianna Tcherkassky as Giselle and Kevin McKenzie as Albrecht. The current staging is by McKenzie, using the Quaranta and Anni designs. Giselle will be given eight performances at the Metropolitan Opera House through July 8.

ABT’s Summer season continues on Monday, July 10 with the first performance of Swan Lake, led by Isabella Boylston as Odette-Odile and Daniel Camargo as Prince Siegfried. Set to music by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake is choreographed by Kevin McKenzie after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov and features scenery and costumes by Zack Brown and lighting by Duane Schuler. This production of Swan Lakepremiered on March 24, 2000 at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. with Julie Kent (Odette-Odile) and Angel Corella (Prince Siegfried). The ballet will be given eight performances this season.

Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet will open on Tuesday evening, July 18 with Devon Teuscher and Aran Bell in the title roles.  Set to the score by Sergei Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet features scenery and costumes by Nicholas Georgiadis, and lighting by Thomas Skelton. Romeo and Juliet received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet in London on February 9, 1965 and was given its ABT Premiere at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. on January 3, 1985 with Leslie Browne and Robert La Fosse in the leading roles. It will be given seven performances through July 22 at the Metropolitan Opera House.

ABTKids

ABTKids, American Ballet Theatre’s annual one-hour introduction to ballet for families, is scheduled for Saturday morning, June 24 at 11:00 A.M. All tickets for ABTKids are $25.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2023 Summer season at the Metropolitan Opera House, on sale beginning Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 1:00 P.M., are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website www.abt.org.

ABOUT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world. Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full-length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America's National Ballet Company®.

Well, no surprises really, but all full lengths? No rep at all? Such unoriginal programming but with the (yet again) shortened season and previously discussed licensing issues, I guess this is the best they could do.

I can’t for anything imagine Teuscher as Giselle.

Edited by ABT Fan

Like Water for Chocolate was a hit for the Royal Ballet in London last June.  I saw the general rehearsal and four performances (all casts) and enjoyed the Royal Ballet dancers and the production tremendously.  Of course, much depends on casting and the Royal Ballet has superb dance-actors.   I will see performances when ABT premieres it in O.C. in March. 

10 minutes ago, abatt said:

Why does McKenzie  refuse to put Bell with Hurlin in a classical ballet?  Ratmansky had the good sense to pair them together.  

Susan Jaffe probably decided the Met casting. But, agree that Hurlin/Bell should be cast together.

I'm so perplexed: 12 performances of Like Water?? No Ratmansky? No retirement announcements? I'm disappointed Seo/Camargo aren't paired together in R&J again, though I know that only happened because Stearns had to bow out last summer.

Trenary is debuting in Like Water, so assuming Brandt will be too (I really thought she'd get a Juliet this year).

One hope: with the Giselle debuts of Teuscher and Hurlin, that means both of them will most likely only do one Myrtha, leaving room for Myrtha debuts. Fingers crossed for Misseldine.

4 hours ago, Josette said:

Like Water for Chocolate was a hit for the Royal Ballet in London last June.  I saw the general rehearsal and four performances (all casts) and enjoyed the Royal Ballet dancers and the production tremendously.  Of course, much depends on casting and the Royal Ballet has superb dance-actors.   I will see performances when ABT premieres it in O.C. in March. 

Out of curiosity since you've gotten a thorough experience with the piece, which ABT dancers would you anticipate being the best choices for the two leads?  I imagine they'll pull from both soloist and principal ranks (although I wonder if there will be a corps wild card candidate with so many performances). Trenary seems the obvious choice for Tita (and has been photographed in the costume) but I'm not sure about the others. 

Edited by Papagena
8 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

They are are really betting on Like Water for Chocolate to succeed, with 12 performances. Seems very risky given how poorly their last big premiere (Of Love and Rage) sold. Like Water for Chocolate the book and movie aren't exactly in the cultural zeitgeist enough for this to be a guaranteed hit. Time will tell. I wish the season had more variety in four weeks, and it's pretty sad that this is what the Met season has come to. Hope all goes well regardless, and looking forward to June. 

Swan Queen Murphy getting the Wednesday matinee? Ouch. Not surprising given her age though. I guess there aren't a whole lot of performances to go around these days.

Is the casting already posted, and if so, where? Thank you. 

If I can be there, and I hope that I can, I would probably chose between the Swan Lakes and the Giselles. The Giselles do work better schedule-wise at the moment, but maybe I can do a few of both. Based on how beautiful Devon Teuscher was last summer in her Swan Lake I would look forward to seeing her in anything. I think that she could be wonderful in Giselle. Based on past viewings, I’d also like very much to see Hee Seo, Skylar Brandt and Christine Shevchenko as Giselle. And I’d love to see Elisabeth Beyer someday.

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale to the general public ?

7 hours ago, Buddy said:

If I can be there, and I hope that I can, I would probably chose between the Swan Lakes and the Giselles. The Giselles do work better schedule-wise at the moment, but maybe I can do a few of both. Based on how beautiful Devon Teuscher was last summer in her Swan Lake I would look forward to seeing her in anything. I think that she could be wonderful in Giselle. Based on past viewings, I’d also like very much to see Hee Seo, Skylar Brandt and Christine Shevchenko as Giselle. And I’d love to see Elisabeth Beyer someday.

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale to the general public ?

Hi Buddy,

Per the brochure, single tickets go on sale April 24, 2023.