This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

5 hours ago, California said:

What are the "access" performances?

Thanks, California.  These are the non-subscription evenings where the tickets are all sold - every ticket - at the same low price.  I believe last year it was something like $42.50 inclusive of tax.  They are in the Winter Season and, I believe, often have a open reception following them for those who are interested in such.  (Hope this description makes some sense.)  

13 hours ago, meunier fan said:

Thanks, California.  These are the non-subscription evenings where the tickets are all sold - every ticket - at the same low price.  I believe last year it was something like $42.50 inclusive of tax.  They are in the Winter Season and, I believe, often have a open reception following them for those who are interested in such.  (Hope this description makes some sense.)  

I think you're referring to the Art Series events, where every seat in the house is $38 (this year probably $40). They always go on sale closer to the event dates, so probably around January. 

41 minutes ago, matilda said:

I think you're referring to the Art Series events, where every seat in the house is $38 (this year probably $40). They always go on sale closer to the event dates, so probably around January. 

Thanks so, Matilda.  I didn't realise it was an 'Art Series'.  I live in London so it's sometimes hard to keep tabs on when those go on sale.  

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Cornejo has posted another R&J tribute on his IG. He says “until we meet again R&J”. Carlos Lopez, a repertoire director, wrote in the comments “you mean until next year”. That would make it what 3 or 4 years in a row??

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvPh_1pgy6U/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Misty Copeland retirement performance? I don't see any other reason to bring it back again (although R&J did sell well this year - it's also the show that's the easiest for me to convince non-balletomanes to see with me, it still feels relatively fresh and sort of sexy). But who knows, she's also only 40 and could do what a lot of other international stars did, which is just a few shows / 2 ballets. Honestly that would probably be best for ABT - to keep her on for guest shows. 

Would love to see her Manon again, an underrated role of hers. 

There is a small batch of beloved dancers on the verge of retirement and I imagine next couple of years may be positioned a bit around that. 

Edited by Papagena
3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Cornejo has posted another R&J tribute on his IG. He says “until we meet again R&J”. Carlos Lopez, a repertoire director, wrote in the comments “you mean until next year”. That would make it what 3 or 4 years in a row??

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvPh_1pgy6U/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Yeesh. I really hope we see some more variety in next year's Met season. Though I realize something like R&J may be needed as a retirement vehicle for a variety of dancers, as @Papagena has said. 

My hope is for Sleeping Beauty and Sylvia, though I know the latter is pretty much a pipe dream given the shortened season and need to sell tickets. 

It seems like a bad idea to schedule a week of ballet around the possibility that a particular dancer might retire, especially when that ballet has been done for two consecutive years previously.

I don't recall that Misty did Manon.  I thought she had a secondary role, but my memory could be faulty.

Correction - I see on her bio that she was Manon. 

Edited by abatt
On 7/26/2023 at 8:26 AM, matilda said:

On 7/26/2023 at 9:08 AM, meunier fan said:

Thanks so, Matilda.  I didn't realise it was an 'Art Series'.  I live in London so it's sometimes hard to keep tabs on when those go on sale.  

I think there is some confusion here. NYCB does the Art Series, not ABT. I don't know what ABT's Access performances are.

Jaffe said in an interview a while back that she loves Manon. That would be a great retirement vehicle for Copeland and/or Cornejo! And I would love, love, love to see that again. I'd also love to see their Onegin again, but I assume they wouldn't do both in the same season.

I assume they'll do a week of Swan Lake, for the guaranteed box office. That works for Murphy, if needed.

At Segerstrom next April, they're doing Ballet Imperial and new commissions by Bond and Abraham. That might be a mixed bill for the Met, too, in 2024:

https://www.scfta.org/events/2024/american-ballet-theatre

Hoping they include something by Ratmansky at each season, too.

8 minutes ago, California said:

At Segerstrom next April, they're doing Ballet Imperial and new commissions by Bond and Abraham. That might be a mixed bill for the Met, too, in 2024:

https://www.scfta.org/events/2024/american-ballet-theatre

Delighted to learn ABT’s got a commission with Kyle Abraham. His two works for City Ballet are, IMO, two of their very best new ballets in the last decade. And they’ve sold well there, too. 

On 7/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, matilda said:

The Kourlas season review is out: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/24/arts/dance/american-ballet-theater-summer-season.html

It's revealed that Gabe Shayer and Connor Holloway are leaving the company, in addition to Gorak. 

Gabe has opened up on Instagram that he learned of his departure by reading the New York Times:

"I’m saddened by the recent announcement of my departure from the American Ballet Theatre after 12 years of dedication and hard work. It’s especially disappointing to learn of my own dismissal through the media without any effort to contact me personally. While I had hoped that the hiring of a new artistic director, and the publication of my NY Times op-ed piece, might signal a change, it is clear that there are still many hurdles to enacting meaningful progress in my industry. I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the words of support that I’ve received since my experience was made public, and I can assure all of you that this is just the beginning of a new chapter in my story."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvQNwKLAbei/?img_index=1

The article was printed several days ago.  This post was just put up on Instagram less than an hour ago.   

The commenters are all urging a discrimination lawsuit.  I suspect that ABT and their lawyers are prepared for that.  Shayer appeared on "See What Happens Live with Andy Cohen" this week as a guest bartender.

35 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Gabe has opened up on Instagram that he learned of his departure by reading the New York Times:

"I’m saddened by the recent announcement of my departure from the American Ballet Theatre after 12 years of dedication and hard work. It’s especially disappointing to learn of my own dismissal through the media without any effort to contact me personally.

That sounds shockingly unprofessional and callous of ABT management (not to mention, a pretty dumb move PR-wise). 

23 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

That sounds shockingly unprofessional and callous of ABT management (not to mention, a pretty dumb move PR-wise). 

It also sounds pretty unbelievable that he wasn't aware of this, after his total (?) absence from spring season casting

27 minutes ago, aurora said:

It also sounds pretty unbelievable that he wasn't aware of this, after his total (?) absence from spring season casting

It’s funny that Shayer never mentioned in either his Op-ed piece or on his IG posts that he walked out on his contract and the season. And, frankly contract or not, no employer would NOT fire an employee who just walked off the job for months on end. 

4 hours ago, Oboerin said:

Abt just commented on his post stating they informed him in December 2022 verbally and in writing that his contract was not being renewed.

What I find surprising about that comment is that it was done with the account "abtofficial". If you look at that profile, it states clearly that it's "The official instagram of the Dancers of American Ballet Theatre", adding that "posts are our own opinion and not official statements of American Ballet Theatre".

So, I wonder whether that's an ABT statement.

2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

It’s funny that Shayer never mentioned in either his Op-ed piece or on his IG posts that he walked out on his contract and the season. And, frankly contract or not, no employer would NOT fire an employee who just walked off the job for months on end. 

Do we know he walked off? 

3 minutes ago, eduardo said:

What I find surprising about that comment is that it was done with the account "abtofficial". If you look at that profile, it states clearly that it's "The official instagram of the Dancers of American Ballet Theatre", adding that "posts are our own opinion and not official statements of American Ballet Theatre".

Is it known who took over the @abtofficial IG account after Connor Holloway stopped managing it?

Edited by nanushka
4 minutes ago, eduardo said:

4 minutes ago, eduardo said:

Good catch!  I didn't realize it at first.

In a unionized company, as I understand it, there is a very strict timeline for renewing contracts and informing dancers of non-renewals. Perhaps he was contesting it or hoped they would change their mind (though writing that op Ed would be a weird way to go about that). But it seems very unlikely to me that the company could inform someone at this late date.