This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2023

The new issue of On Pointe says the 2023 Met season will be June 22 - July 22: 4 weeks + 3 days!

See lower right-hand corner of p. 11: https://www.abt.org/wp-content/themes/abt/uploads/OnPoint_Fall2022/#page=10

The Met Opera season ends on Saturday, June 10, so one puzzle is what's happening in those twelve days between Met and ABT.

They will be touring Giselle in the spring, so that would be a reasonable guess, along with the already announced Like Water For Chocolate.

16 hours ago, nanushka said:

I really hope they're looking at the spring tour of R&J as an extension of last summer's production, not precursor to another run next summer. Please not that—especially with only 4.5 weeks.

Giselle was at KenCen right before the shutdown. As they normally do only one full-length there each year, R&J would be a better bet for that audience. I also hope it's not on that short Met season next  year.

I remember Abrera saying later: dance every performance as if it's your last. In her case, it was. 

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/explore-by-genre/ballet/2019-2020/american-ballet-theatre-giselle-68720/

Giselle, Romeo and Juliet (I'm tired of it too), the obligatory week (or more) of Swan Lake, Like Water for Chocolate and Of Love and Rage would fill out a four week season.  Also, they might do an abbreviated run of Of Love and Rage - basically a long weekend opening on Thursday and going until Saturday with only four shows.  

We'll find out soon.

Edited by FauxPas
39 minutes ago, California said:

Not entirely clear from this Instagram that OLAR will be programmed next Met season, but I would assume something by Ratmansky would be included. They do have a big investment in OLAR, which makes it seem likely.

Frenette ends the post "I can't wait for OLAR to come back next Met season."

Given the current status of the roster of principals (which will change I am sure) and the probable retirement of "Le Corsaire" and "La Bayadere" from the repertory, a four-week season at the Met concentrating on full-lengths would be fine.  

I think ABT should add two weeks at City Center around March/April along with the two week Fall season at the Theater formerly known as New York State.

Edited by FauxPas
16 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Given the current status of the roster of principals (which will change I am sure) and the probable retirement of "Le Corsaire" and "La Bayadere" from the repertory, a four-week season at the Met concentrating on full-lengths would be fine.  

I just wish they'd pick something we hadn't seen in a while and can't easily see elsewhere, like Manon or Onegin. I believe Jaffe said she loves Manon so perhaps next year?

35 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

the probable retirement of "Le Corsaire" and "La Bayadere" from the repertory

On the most recent Conversations in Dance podcast Jaffe indicated she is already working to revamp Bayadare and bring it back soon. I was thrilled to hear this and hope she finds an approach that will enable Corsaire to return to the rep as well. 

4 hours ago, California said:

Not entirely clear from this Instagram that OLAR will be programmed next Met season, but I would assume something by Ratmansky would be included. They do have a big investment in OLAR, which makes it seem likely.

Frenette states that OLAR is returning next Met season.

I agree that putting on a full length ballet during the fall season is a great idea, although Whipped Cream does not appear to be selling well. That happened the last time they programmed it. Looks like the Dream/Seasons program is most popular as of now. I love most of the Ratmansky work I've seen but feel that Whipped Cream suffers greatly from lackluster music. I will give it another chance next week however, since I want to see the Brandt/Klein cast. It's weird that they didn't program this ballet as the discounted "family matinee" and chose the 10/30 Dream/Seasons show instead. 

Watch Aran Bell’s recent IG story. It shows the shoot today. You can clearly see the costumes for SL, Giselle and R&J. 

Also visible in Cassandra Trenary’s IG stories. She’s in a beautiful turquoise dress that’s not from anything I know so perhaps that’s Like Water for Chocolate, the new ballet.

Edited by ABT Fan
59 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Watch Aran Bell’s recent IG story. It shows the shoot today. You can clearly see the costumes for SL, Giselle and R&J. 

Also visible in Cassandra Trenary’s IG stories. She’s in a beautiful turquoise dress that’s not from anything I know so perhaps that’s Like Water for Chocolate, the new ballet.

You are correct about R and J. Just saw a post by Gillian Murphy with James Whiteside in R and J costumes. 

Just now, ABT Fan said:

Swan Lake and Giselle look fine to me. They are ones that I would consider traveling across the country to see, especially since I don't think that I'll be going to Saint Petersburg for a few years anyway. Hopefully they'll bring these to California as well.

Ugh…SL, Giselle, R & J again??? I love all of these ballets but something else would really be nice for a change! What about Onegin, Cinderella, Coppelia, Manon, Sylvia, Spartacus, Carmen, Mayerling, A month in the Country, Daphnis and Chloe just to name a few. I guess Like Water for Chocolate is it next spring!