This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2022 season

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

Anything new about the very young and hopefully very promising Elisabeth Beyer ?

She is still with the StudioCo on tour until the end of their season. She will be an apprentice with the main company in September.Actually ,the StudioCo dancers have more performances of major roles than a corps de ballet of the main company. A good preparation for the future.

18 minutes ago, bingham said:

She is still with the StudioCo on tour until the end of their season. She will be an apprentice with the main company in September.Actually ,the StudioCo dancers have more performances of major roles than a corps de ballet of the main company. A good preparation for the future.

Elisabeth has been apprentice since last month. 

36 minutes ago, bingham said:

Actually ,the StudioCo dancers have more performances of major roles than a corps de ballet of the main company. A good preparation for the future.

Lynn Seymour described being part of the junior touring company of the Royal Ballet and what a great experience that was.  Antionette Sibley was one of the ones who went right into the company after graduating from the school and missed that experience.

18 hours ago, laurel said:

I adore Ratmansky’s Whipped Cream, and it was wonderful to see the ballet return last night at such a high level of performance.  The fantastic score, the unique costumes, the crazy choreography – what a wild 1920s hallucination of fantasy, satire and overindulgence.  The company was so well rehearsed, and so very alive with the thrill of performance.  The gingerbread men were swinging their mallets at the marzipan archers with ferver, as if they wished to do real harm.  Wham!  For the first time, every dancer presented a character on stage, utilizing facial expression and excellent mime.  No one made a misstep, no one was sleepwalking in the back row or going through the motions.  There are so many new, young dancers in the company, and so many opportunities opening up, everyone seemed thrilled to be on stage and was dancing full out.

Sarah Lane’s Princess Praline, with her lacy, layered footwork, has given way Skylar Brandt’s big, bold, movement.  Her movements are faster, higher, deeper, wider; Princess Praline now is a different character, much sassier.  Brandt is able to lengthen her limbs to such an extent that she appears far taller than her true height.  It's quite an achievement.  The endless work with Max and Irina has definitely come to fruition.  Brand's natural inclination for goofiness makes Princess Praline a perfect fit.  ABT absolutely must do right by Brandt and revive Coppelia for her.  She was born to play Swanilda, and in my opinion she would be the ultimate American dancer in that role.   This is my *personal* recommendation to Susan Jaffe...

In case you’re unaware, Jonathan Klein was a youthful figure skater in France, and as a young adolescent competed in the French junior national championships.  Emily Hayes posted some old footage of him on the ice in one of her food/travel vlogs on Youtube (“Made by Mily”), and he was quite impressive.  You can see the vigorous athlete in him and why his pirouettes and leaps are amazing.  However, he could use some finesse and lyricism in his dance.  A few months at the Paris Opera Ballet School or something similar would be perfect.  Well, no matter what may or may not be possible, I imagine that he (and everyone else at ABT) could use better coaching than what is currently available to the company.

Princess Tea Flower was languid and lyrical when danced by Stella Abrera, but Christine Shevchenko has turned her into a glamour girl, sparkly and lively.  Calvin Royal’s dancing has improved enormously since I last saw him, and he was especially confident last night as Prince Coffee.  Among their attendants there were two knockouts:  Chloe Misseldine and Jarod Curley.  As the attendants move about the stage in performance, frequently changing partners, these two more often than not ended up together, and they looked like an unbeatable team, the tallest dancers in the room.  Jarod Curley is ABT’s answer to Daniel Day-Lewis.  With each costume and wig change, he vanishes into his character.  He is tall and blonde, and last night, whirling around the pastry shop, he was unrecognizable as the dancer who performed Mithridates in Of Love and Rage.  I had one of my little fantasy moments at this point, and kept imagining him as Purple Rothbart in Swan Lake, entering the ballroom with Chloe Misseldine as Odile.  Whoa!  That's yet another fantasy I hope to see come true one day.

Major congratulations to the three dancing liquor bottles:  Catherine Hurlin, Blaine Hoven and Connor Holloway.  Their teamwork was great, and I’ve never seen the three bottles performed so well by all three dancers together.  In particular, Hurlin’s mime has improved so much, she’s finally able to get some big laughs as Marianne Chartreuse.  I hope that they, and everyone in this case, perform just as well or better on Saturday.  Cheers, all!

Thank you for this lovely review. I saw Whipped Cream when it premiered in 2017 and loved it. I actually saw it seven times. Three in Orange County and four in NYC. I am so glad it is as good as ever, especially with new members of the Company being able to perform it. 

23 hours ago, laurel said:

Among their attendants there were two knockouts:  Chloe Misseldine and Jarod Curley.  As the attendants move about the stage in performance, frequently changing partners, these two more often than not ended up together, and they looked like an unbeatable team, the tallest dancers in the room.  Jarod Curley is ABT’s answer to Daniel Day-Lewis.  With each costume and wig change, he vanishes into his character.  He is tall and blonde, and last night, whirling around the pastry shop, he was unrecognizable as the dancer who performed Mithridates in Of Love and Rage.  I had one of my little fantasy moments at this point, and kept imagining him as Purple Rothbart in Swan Lake, entering the ballroom with Chloe Misseldine as Odile. 

That is a perfect analogy of Curley. When I saw him as a nobleman in R&J over the summer, it was hard to believe this was the same guy who played Mithridates and von Rothbardt just a week or so earlier. Tonight, I could barely keep my eyes off of him and Misseldine - what a perfect pair they will make. Those two have big futures ahead and like you laurel I can also see them paired as Odile and PVR. But, Curley also has the makings of a prince (tall, handsome, beautiful and strong technique) and would be a fantastic Siegfried. I don't think they'll run out of roles for him, he's so versatile. 

I don't love Whipped Cream - like some others, I find some of the choreography frenetic and just too busy, and this music is not very danceable. I also positively can't stand cutesiness, and this ballet flirts with it too frequently. I wish Ratmansky would do away with the twirling wrist embellishments that Princess Tea Flower, Prince Coffee and their attendants frequently do. I think the whipped cream section needs to be re-worked, starting with costumes. They look like ghosts and the choreography doesn't convey the swirling, lush, frothiness of how I'd imagine whipped cream to be.

Brandt and Shevchenko danced well, but they don't hold a candle to Lane and Abrera in this ballet. Both Lane and Abrera had a natural charm and loveliness, with exquisite port de bras, that Brandt and Shevchenko do not possess. Brandt's technique was beautiful and solid, as always, but I'm finding her more and more mannered, almost too well rehearsed - every single hair has it's place, so to speak, leaving no room for spontaneity. Shevchenko was also technically strong, but I don't think this role suits her well; she cannot pull off the goofiness like Abrera could.

Royal was a fantastic Prince Coffee, his effervescent personality in full bloom. Klein was an exceptional Boy, outshined only by Simkin, but that's not a fair comparison. Someone above noted how some of his partnering fell a bit short, and I also saw a few spots that didn't work too well, but as a corps dancer who's had very few opportunities I can cut him some slack until he gets more experience. His solo dancing was big, expressive, crisp and his character was spot on. He should have been promoted in September.

Gorak as Prince Cocoa was a bit off - leaden jumps and he seemed to be just going through the motions.

I am very much looking to next week's mixed rep programs where we'll see more opportunities and some big debuts for the up and comers. The company is bursting with talent and it's so exciting. New principals Camargo, Hurlin and Trenary (though Trenary is not new new); soloist Misseldine, and corps dancers Curley, Coker, Klein, Magbitang and Robare are the ones I'm most eager to see what they do next. Many other dancers to love as well and others whom I'm sure will surprise and rise to the top in no time.

Just saw today’s matinee. Zimmi Coker lit up the stage in more ways than one. Not sure what happened In the first act but the energy, and even the dancing, was surprisingly low key, even dull. This is my first performance back since COVID shut everything down and I have to say, I was very surprised but when  Coker came out in act 2, everything came alive. I am aware that act 2 in and of itself is much more vibrant from sets to music to choreography. However, I was a bit confused that Coker did not get  promoted to soloist last go round but now, I have to say I am completely baffled. Think there was a real injustice there! 

Now that I’ve settled down, I realized I hadn’t mentioned anything about Tyler Maloney. I understand  he had been injured (both ankles) which is why he and Coker didn’t dance on Friday. I have not seen him do a lead role before and if he was not in top form today, I’m looking forward to seeing him when he is. Really good jumps and very clean. He and Coker danced well together too. The Mademoiselle Chartreuse trio did a good job, it’s an entertaining section. Someone above mentioned Ratmansky’s tendency towards too many steps for the music, which I would agree with. In addition, there were a couple of sections where the music just seemed out of place with the scene and choreography. Over all though, it’s a good production and the costumes/sets are truly incredible! 

Edited by Kamicos
Wanted to add some things…
1 hour ago, Kamicos said:

However, I was a bit confused that Coker did not get  promoted to soloist last go round but now, I have to say I am completely baffled. Think there was a real injustice there! 

Happy to hear that Coker was so amazing in this. I really wanted to see her debut, but I just couldn't do 2 Whipped Cream's. And, agree, it's baffling why she wasn't promoted.

4 hours ago, Kamicos said:

Just saw today’s matinee. Zimmi Coker lit up the stage in more ways than one. Not sure what happened In the first act but the energy, and even the dancing, was surprisingly low key, even dull. This is my first performance back since COVID shut everything down and I have to say, I was very surprised but when  Coker came out in act 2, everything came alive. I am aware that act 2 in and of itself is much more vibrant from sets to music to choreography. However, I was a bit confused that Coker did not get  promoted to soloist last go round but now, I have to say I am completely baffled. Think there was a real injustice there! 

Now that I’ve settled down, I realized I hadn’t mentioned anything about Tyler Maloney. I understand  he had been injured (both ankles) which is why he and Coker didn’t dance on Friday. I have not seen him do a lead role before and if he was not in top form today, I’m looking forward to seeing him when he is. Really good jumps and very clean. He and Coker danced well together too. The Mademoiselle Chartreuse trio did a good job, it’s an entertaining section. Someone above mentioned Ratmansky’s tendency towards too many steps for the music, which I would agree with. In addition, there were a couple of sections where the music just seemed out of place with the scene and choreography. Over all though, it’s a good production and the costumes/sets are truly incredible! 

Would have loved to see Zimmi! Saw the Saturday 2 pm show and had the same impression; dull, messy, and uninspiring. Not whimsical at all but the sets and costumes were nice. Daniil, Isabella, and James are always solid. The rest of the main roles weren’t anything special. One final thing: These dancers are performing at Lincoln Center, why can’t they dance in sync?

On 10/17/2022 at 10:11 AM, ba11et0mane said:

This is certainly off topic, but has anyone seen that Natalia Osipova will be returning to new york in january?? will anybody be seeing her? i bought tickets and i can say i’m definitely excited.

I read this on Instagram a few weeks ago and plan to go.  I'm excited too.  I've seen her in Giselle and The Bright Stream, but never in contemporary works except on film.

No, my recollection is that this is much more costly than other dance performances at City Center.  The presenters know that Osipova is a brand name who hasn't appeared in New York for years and they fully intend to squeeze every dollar out of that situation.  My concern is that most of these types of shows tend to be duds in terms of content - vanity projects with awful  new "choreography".  (Remember Diana Vishneva's shows?  The one where she was writhing on the floor?  Or how about the one where she was spinning around the stage with what looked like a crystal lampshade? ) 

19 minutes ago, abatt said:

No, my recollection is that this is much more costly than other dance performances at City Center.  The presenters know that Osipova is a brand name who hasn't appeared in New York for years and they fully intend to squeeze every dollar out of that situation.  My concern is that most of these types of shows tend to be duds in terms of content - vanity projects with awful  new "choreography".  (Remember Diana Vishneva's shows?  The one where she was writhing on the floor?  Or how about the one where she was spinning around the stage with what looked like a crystal lampshade? ) 

There is a documentary about Osipova, "Force of Nature," which is available on Marquee. I have no idea what program is planned for City Center, but it seems possible some of this material will be included.

Here's a trailer for the documentary: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10308160/

31 minutes ago, California said:

There is a documentary about Osipova, "Force of Nature," which is available on Marquee. I have no idea what program is planned for City Center, but it seems possible some of this material will be included.

Here's a trailer for the documentary: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10308160/

The documentary is excellen; I watched it twice.  Some of the contemporary material was interesting. However, the costly tickets and potential dud factor of this performance  are turning me off.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have followed the career of Natalia Osipova from her beginnings at the Bolshoi. I even remember a poster at another forum being, I believe, the first to use the expression “Force of Nature.” I was the first (and probably the only) to nickname her “The Bolshoi.” 🙂

She was an aerial phenomenon and lit up the stage like no other in the company.

I’ve seen at least two of her modern performances and she is developing a very convincing presence. Her abilities are changing from being a “Force of Nature” to being more of an artist. It’s her choice of material that I think will be critical to her future success. I tend to find her more pleasant and light-hearted choices to be the most successful. Overall, I find her to be highly talented and quite loveable.

Edited by Buddy

An event:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE TO HOST POST-PERFORMANCE PANEL DISCUSSION ON WORLD PREMIERE WORK LIFTED, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2022

WHO:    Moderated by cultural anthropologist and former Ailey II dancer Aimee Meredith Cox, the discussion will feature Lifted creators as panelists: Choreographer Christopher Rudd, ABT Dancers Calvin Royal III and Courtney Lavine, Fashion Designer Carly Cushnie, Kennedy Center Composer-in-Residence Carlos Simon, and Conductor Roderick Cox.

WHAT:  Join us for a post-performance panel discussion on Christopher Rudd’s World Premiere work Lifted, created with an all-Black cast and creative team. Free for all audience members, the discussion will follow ABT’s matinee performance of Lifted, Jessica Lang’s Children’s Songs Dance, and Jiří Kylián’s Sinfonietta.

WHEN: Saturday, October 29, 2022, directly after the 2:00 PM matinee performance

WHERE:  David H. Koch Theater

20 Lincoln Center Plaza

WHY:     Lifted aims to highlight, amplify, and celebrate Black creative voices. ABT's panel will create a forum to bring attention to the landmark nature of Rudd’s ballet and what it means for younger generations of dancers of color to see themselves represented on stage in this monumental way.

14 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Camargo replaced Stearns in The Dream tonight. Stearns is still listed for Sunday afternoon's performance.

If anyone attends tonight, please share your review.

Camargo was a brilliant Oberon--his landings were feather-light--very impressive--but he smiled far too much. An occasional haughty smirk is called for, as Oberon should be imperious and aloof, but not all that grinning over having bested Titania. This caveat aside, he is a great addition to the roster of principals and I hope he will remain with ABT for a long time.

28 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

Camargo was a brilliant Oberon--his landings were feather-light--very impressive--but he smiled far too much. An occasional haughty smirk is called for, as Oberon should be imperious and aloof, but not all that grinning over having bested Titania. This caveat aside, he is a great addition to the roster of principals and I hope he will remain with ABT for a long time.

I agree, Camargo danced beautifully and he is always engaged onstage but I still have such clear memories of Gomes and Stiefel absolutely dominating as Oberon and he was not all that. Murphy was lovely but has lost some flexibility, which is important for Titania. The corps looked great, last time I saw ABT do Ashton I thought they looked very stilted - maybe they've gotten some better coaching.

I also really enjoyed The Seasons. Forster was great as the Zephyr and I even enjoyed Boylston (I usually don't). Misseldine and Coker were standouts in the supporting cast.

I liked Camargo, but I didn't think he had complete mastery of the Ashton style as Oberon.  I'm thinking back to Hallberg, who was probably the most astonishing Oberon in terms of the capturing the Ashton style and technique.  Herman was very good as Puck, but not at the same incredible level of his younger days.   No complaints about Murphy.  

The Seasons was fantastic.

I echo the praise for Camargo last night. As @nysusansaid, he's always engaged onstage, fills every little moment with characterization and presence. And for such a tall guy, wow can he summon lightness and quickness to a degree I usually associate with shorter dancers. Bit of a funny moment when the casting change was announced, there was the usual little ripple of groans when the absence was announced and then a big burst of applause when Camargo was announced as the sub. 

I really love The Dream and I wish ABT did it more often (and just more Ashton generally!) House looked well sold, and I don't think I've ever heard so much laughter at an ABT performance. Some cute kids dressed up in fairy outfits.

I grant Herman was not quite as jawdropping as when I first saw him as Puck...15 years ago? But he still really wows in this role (and so many others) to a degree that's pretty astonishing. Impish, antic, truly otherworldly, and very funny, while being precise and managing some fantastic jumps. This is one of my favorite roles to see him in. What a treat.

I liked The Seasons a bit less on this, my second viewing. I really wish they could get some better costumes, the current ones for every season but winter are pretty hideous to an extent that detracts from all the gorgeous dancing. The way the progression of seasons gets muddled at the end feels incoherent to me  (the fall section seems to get short shrift, I felt cheated of really being able to enjoy Cate and Calvin). I really appreciated Isabella in the big ballerina role. She had two series of turns where her speed and precision were just stunning. It's a technically tricky role and she really nailed it while looking like she was having a ball. All the winter ballerinas were lovely (Léa Fleytoux continues to draw my eye even in relatively small roles, she has real presence) but Chloe Misseldine really showed why she deserved that rapid promotion to soloist. And Zimmi was, as always, delightful and engaging. That role has a long supported balance where 5 of the corps guys are taking her hand and rotating her and then she balances solo, and she looked rock solid and serene the whole time. Future Aurora in the making!

All in all, it was a great showcase for the wealth of soloist and corps talent the company currently has.

Loved Camargo. I didn't notice the manic smiling. He's a great addition to the principal roster but ABT still sorely needs capable principal and soloist men. I hope Jaffe has a plan to fill the pipeline with some of the corps men that deserve to move ahead. 

Gillian's best days are behind her, I'm sad to say. Her Titania was lovely in aura, but the strength and technique are not there anymore.  And I agree, the lower extensions were not fitting of the role. 

Coker was the true standout of the night both in The Dream and in The Seasons. She's headed for big, big things.