This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2022 season

Well said fondoffouettes and aurora.

May be worth asking ourselves why a black cast/artistic team is “woke”, “social messaging” or exclusionary, but the same is never said for majority white productions with white dancers, choreographers, conductors, etc.. 

Individual tastes aside re: particular programmes, I’m not sure what’s distasteful about “celebrating black excellence” and as fondoffouettes said, for three performances.

As someone who does love the classics and is wary of people perhaps being disingenuous in a time where of course we should be demanding representation for all kinds of stories in the arts, I’m not sure if it’s worth overthinking the press release before something has premiered.

Either way, art should start conversations and open our minds, so no harm in discussion!

Whatever the outcome of this new work, it is not a new phenomenon.  Inclusion or "wokeness" is part of ABT's original DNA and mission statement.  Here is a description from the ABT website of the early days, https://www.abt.org/entry/black-ritual/.

First performed one week into Ballet Theatre’s inaugural season on January 22, 1940, it was the first time Black dancers had appeared in a large-scale production from what was a typically all-white ballet company. Though some may have seen that as a bold move for a new, very different kind of ballet company, it did not stray from what Ballet Theatre was all about. In a letter to the World-Telegram of New York, publicists for Ballet Theatre singled out Black Ritual as an example of Ballet Theatre’s emerging identity: “This is a far cry from some of the traditional ballets being presented in the Ballet Theatre repertoire. But this was how the Ballet Theatre was meant to be—a combination of tradition and ultra-modernity."

VERY excited for this fall season. I really enjoy Whipped Cream, and have found it to be a great ballet to invite friends who aren't die-hard balletomanes to see. It's a very visually engaging ballet with the sets and costumes, but also has real choreographic substance. And it has lots of wonderful roles for corps dancers to sparkle in (I'm thinking the liquors trio, for example, which was the first time Catherine Hurlin registered to me as a major talent to watch). Would love to see Jonathan Klein as The Boy, and Léa Fleytoux as the dancing champagne bottle. 

Also thrilled for the return of Ashton, a choreographer I wish ABT would program more of, and echo the prayers for a Cornejo Puck. Will be glad to have the chance to enjoy The Seasons again, and to see Sinfonietta and Lifted for the first time. I don't see anything exclusionary about Lifted having an all-Black creative team, it's way to put a spotlight on Black talent in ballet. The only ballet I'm not excited about is the Jessica Lang, as she's responsible for the piece of ABT rep I loath most (ZigZag) but...at least they're not programming ZigZag again? 

I’ve never seen Sinfonietta but I will put in a hearty “Yes, please!” to ABT doing more Kylian — or doing Kylian at all!  I can’t remember when, if ever, I’ve seen ABT perform Kylian in the past, but I figure that they must have at some point, right?  Would be a criminal omission not to have the work of one of the late-20th-century masters in the repertory.

And if Sinfonietta is to the gorgeous Janacek Sinfonietta?  Oh, I might just die and go to heaven.

5 hours ago, tutu said:

I’ve never seen Sinfonietta but I will put in a hearty “Yes, please!” to ABT doing more Kylian — or doing Kylian at all!  I can’t remember when, if ever, I’ve seen ABT perform Kylian in the past, but I figure that they must have at some point, right?  Would be a criminal omission not to have the work of one of the late-20th-century masters in the repertory.

And if Sinfonietta is to the gorgeous Janacek Sinfonietta?  Oh, I might just die and go to heaven.

ABT first did Sinfonietta in 1991: https://www.abt.org/ballet/sinfonietta/

I saw this a zillion years ago at the Kennedy Center by Nederlands Dance Theatre. Gorgeous, including the great score.

Interestingly, Colorado Ballet is also doing it, this April.  (Artistic Director Gil Boggs was an ABT principal when ABT premiered this, so that might explain why they acquired it.)

Along with the YouTube, it's also available on Medici.

ABT will be performing Ratmanksy's The Nutcracker at Segerstrom Center for the Arts [SCFTA], Orange County, California, from December 9 through 18, 2022.

ABT will be performing six performances of the U.S. premiere of Wheeldon's Like Water for Chocolate from March 29 through April 2, 2023, at SCFTA.   This ballet is a co-production with The Royal Ballet, which premiered it in June of 2022. 

I received an email from Segerstom with this information and on how to subscribe. 

28 minutes ago, Josette said:

ABT will be performing Ratmanksy's The Nutcracker at Segerstrom Center for the Arts [SCFTA], Orange County, California, from December 9 through 18, 2022.

ABT will be performing six performances of the U.S. premiere of Wheeldon's Like Water for Chocolate from March 29 through April 2, 2023, at SCFTA.   This ballet is a co-production with The Royal Ballet, which premiered it in June of 2022. 

I received an email from Segerstom with this information and on how to subscribe. 

Thanks for the update. Those dates have also been entered into their master calendar: https://www.scfta.org/events/calendar.aspx?mode=grid&event=0

No casting yet for Nutcracker, but it's early.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:29 AM, Josette said:

I did not receive any of this info in an email! I get that I didn't renew my subscription this year but I did attend Nutcracker so that seems like a pretty big missed opportunity for marketing and selling tickets! Thanks for the heads up anyway on the dates. I am doubtful on re-renewing my subscription though, considering what else is on offer; I would if I could count multiple performances of LWFC and Nut for the choose-your-own series total.

Edited by ksk04
20 hours ago, maps said:

How long is Children's Song Dance by Lang?...

According to my notes of the ABT Studio Company Spring Festival (streamed 2-3 June 2021), the Children's Songs Dance segment was 21 minutes long. This included a brief spoken intro by the choreographer...so it was about 20 minutes of dance. Seven dancers included three women (Glatz, Park, Y. Seo) and four men (Brosnan, Doherty, Magbitang and Robare).

On 7/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, canbelto said:

There's videos of Sinfonietta on YT:

After watching this video, I've clearly never seen this ballet before. ABT last did it in 2015 so not sure how I missed it. Through the entire 22 minutes I kept seeing Shevchenko and Trenary - this choreography fits them like a dream. Their bios say they have danced this before so I really hope they're cast in the fall. Ahn, Royal, Bell, Han, Curley, Klein, McBride, Hurlin would also be great in this. So much jumping, omg! I hope they start cardio training early.

1 hour ago, Becki Lee said:

A little surprised (but excited!) to see Cassie is performing in the Twyla Tharp program at NY City Center Oct 19-23.

She's very good in Tharp. In fact, a few years ago pre covid, when the company did their Halloween class and a lot of the dancers dressed up, Cassie dressed up as Twyla and did some of the combinations in Tharp style. It was hilarious and spot on. I saw the clips on IG.

22 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

After watching this video, I've clearly never seen this ballet before. ABT last did it in 2015 so not sure how I missed it. Through the entire 22 minutes I kept seeing Shevchenko and Trenary - this choreography fits them like a dream. Their bios say they have danced this before so I really hope they're cast in the fall. Ahn, Royal, Bell, Han, Curley, Klein, McBride, Hurlin would also be great in this. So much jumping, omg! I hope they start cardio training early.

ABT performed Sinfonietta in 1990 or so, when Jane Herman was Artistic Director briefly. They performed it at LA’s Wiltern Theater. My husband and I saw it. It is a thrilling piece and will be wonderful for ABT’s excellent  dancers to perform. 

2 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

A little surprised (but excited!) to see Cassie is performing in the Twyla Tharp program at NY City Center Oct 19-23.

I've found Cassandra Trenary to be very versatile stylistically. Not only great in Tharp, but wonderful in Jessica Lang's Zig Zag (a piece many on this board hate!), and fabulous in the Michelle Dorrance piece done for Tyler Peck's show in City Center.

Edited by vipa

I enjoyed seeing her in the Twyla Now program last November, also at City Center.

The timing only coincides with Whipped Cream in the ABT fall season, so I’m hoping she’ll be cast in some of the pieces being performed the following week. 

13 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

Just to be clear, surprised about the timing for Cassie in the Tharp show. Not the casting! ☺️☺️

Ah, I see! Yes it completely overlaps with Whipped Cream. I thought maybe she could do both and toggle back and forth, but looking at the list of dancers for Twyla there isn’t enough for two casts so she must be doing every show. She’s so great as Princess Praline and I was looking forward to seeing her in that again, but I guess not. So there will have to be a PP debut for someone, maybe McBride or Coker.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, ABT Fan said:

Ah, I see! Yes it completely overlaps with Whipped Cream. I thought maybe she could do both and toggle back and forth, but looking at the list of dancers for Twyla there isn’t enough for two casts so she must be doing every show. She’s so great as Princess Praline and I was looking forward to seeing her in that again, but I guess not. So there will have to be a PP debut for someone, maybe McBride or Coker.

I was thinking we’d get a PP debut from Misseldine. I’ll have to double check the dancer’s pages on the ABT website, but I think Brandt, Paris, and Trenary are the only dancers in the company at the moment that have danced the role. 

Edited by DPell