This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2022 season

2 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

How late do you think they will go on the last “The Boy” castings?

Good question. I've been checking a lot myself. I think a lot of it has to do with Tyler Maloney having been injured, he had surgery on his arm a few months ago (see his IG, link below; his last post talks rehab, surgery, etc). He has done The Boy and they probably need to see if he can recover in time. There are 3 TBA's so I see room for a debut (if Magbitang got one I'd be there in a heartbeat.)

https://www.instagram.com/tylerrrmaloney/?hl=en

47 minutes ago, theo said:

I just checked the website.  Elwince Magbitang is now cast as Puck for the performance that had been "TBA".  

Yes!! I was really hoping for that. I’m there.

For that same performance, Daniel is still listed as Oberon. But Cassandra has had several IG stories showing her rehearsing with new corp dancer Andrew Robare. There’s another story today. I’m wondering if that casting will be updated soon.

Edited by ABT Fan
12 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Yes!! I was really hoping for that. I’m there.

For that same performance, Daniel is still listed as Oberon. But Cassandra has had several IG stories showing her rehearsing with new corp dancer Andrew Robare. There’s another story today. I’m wondering if that casting will be updated soon.

Wow. I would love to see Robare in some major roles but I will be super unhappy if he replaces Camargo in his one and only Oberon. In fact, I think that may be the only performance he is scheduled for in this brief season.

It seems very odd to me. I thought Camargo might be injured but he was in the background of Katie Boren’s IG story and appeared fine.

Congratulations to Robare if he is dancing the role!! I partnered with him at the ABT summer intensive years ago and he was a very kind person. 

I had noticed that Shayer was missing from all Fall casting and thought that was odd, especially since he was previously listed in Lifted, but no longer. I thought maybe he was injured. I just looked him up on IG and his title in his bio now says “principal guest artist” at ABT. A post from Oct 3 says “news coming soon”. He’s still listed on ABT’s site as a soloist. 

https://instagram.com/gabestoneshayer?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

13 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I had noticed that Shayer was missing from all Fall casting and thought that was odd, especially since he was previously listed in Lifted, but no longer. I thought maybe he was injured. I just looked him up on IG and his title in his bio now says “principal guest artist” at ABT. A post from Oct 3 says “news coming soon”. He’s still listed on ABT’s site as a soloist. 

https://instagram.com/gabestoneshayer?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

By using the word "principal" in the phrase "principal guest artist" on his IG it makes it seem like he is a principal at ABT, which he is not.  The more accurate description would be  something like guest soloist or guest artist.

Edited by abatt
8 hours ago, ClaraFan said:

Sorry to hear that Scout is out for Fall due to her ankle. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjn9oWgJUyq/

Wow another dancer out? Paulina Waski announced her injury last week as well

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjTQDd7g_5m/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

but she did announce a heavy spring season of 30 weeks from Boston to NYC, so that might have been a reason, plus no news of Camargo and nothing for Shayer, Wonder who else as there is no news on Young either since her injury from June!

On 10/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, abatt said:

By using the word "principal" in the phrase "principal guest artist" on his IG it makes it seem like he is a principal at ABT, which he is not.  The more accurate description would be  something like guest soloist or guest artist.

If true, I am very sorry to hear that Shayer is leaving ABT and becoming a guest artist.  He is still listed as a soloist dancer on ABT’s website so I guess we’ll have to wait until ABT updates their website or Shayer makes some kind of clear announcement.  

I don’t agree that calling himself principal guest artist makes it sound as though he is a principal dancer at ABT.  He is saying principal guest artist, not principal dancer. 

As far as I know, guest artists are either called guest artists or principal guest artists.  I’ve never heard of a guest soloist.  The label should be independent of a title previously held at the company. 

1 hour ago, NinaFan said:

If true, I am very sorry to hear that Shayer is leaving ABT and becoming a guest artist.  He is still listed as a soloist dancer on ABT’s website so I guess we’ll have to wait until ABT updates their website or Shayer makes some kind of clear announcement.  

I don’t agree that calling himself principal guest artist makes it sound as though he is a principal dancer at ABT.  He is saying principal guest artist, not principal dancer. 

As far as I know, guest artists are either called guest artists or principal guest artists.  I’ve never heard of a guest soloist.  The label should be independent of a title previously held at the company. 

TBH, I'm not sorry to see Shayer go. There has been a great deal of support for him on BA, but when I saw him dance Mercutio in the Summer I found his dancing extremely sloppy. I thought that he was hired originally because he had a huge jump, but I didn't see that anymore. I'd like to see him find a company where he is valued, but IMHO, ABT isn't it.

53 minutes ago, angelica said:

TBH, I'm not sorry to see Shayer go. There has been a great deal of support for him on BA, but when I saw him dance Mercutio in the Summer I found his dancing extremely sloppy. I thought that he was hired originally because he had a huge jump, but I didn't see that anymore. I'd like to see him find a company where he is valued, but IMHO, ABT isn't it.

I have to agree with you. I was a big supporter of his for a long time - I thought he had a lot of potential, big jumps, promising technique - but his dancing is consistently sloppy and I haven't seen any progress over the years.

I haven't seen any official announcement yet, but if he is going to be just a guest artist with the company going forward (which his IG alludes to), I think this would be the first time I've seen a soloist at ABT become one. He has not performed any lead roles in the classical full lengths and historically guest artists are brought in for those roles (as far as other lead roles in other full lengths he has done Harlequin and The Boy, which he is oddly not dancing in this season). Would the company bring in a guest artist for peasant pas? Or, von Rothbardt? And, I agree with abatt - calling himself a principal guest artist is misleading.

If you check out his IG (I don't follow him but check it out once in awhile) he seems to have a very strong interest in fashion and other artistic mediums. Perhaps he will go that way. But, we'll just have to wait and see what the deal is and what the company says.

Edited by ABT Fan
On 10/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, California said:

Camargo is still listed for Oberon on Sat evening 10/29 on the ABT site. Did that change? https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/?start=2022-10-20

I haven't seen that change. I'm now wondering if the footage showing corps dancer Robare rehearsing Oberon was as an understudy, and maybe Camargo had to be out for unknown reasons but the rehearsals understandably needed to go on. There was video of Robare even rehearsing in a company run through, so it certainly looked he was stepping in.