This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2022 season

6 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I think Fremantle announced (publicly — I just don’t have the links because not regularly on sm these days) when leaving SFB that he no longer wanted to do ballet full time.

From Dance Magazine:

But after a little more than a decade with the organization, the multitalented dancer found himself craving a new adventure, in a new city. “I was always trying to find more in my artistic development,” Freemantle says of his decision to leave the company and move to New York City this past summer. Before he even had time to furnish his apartment, Freemantle had signed with a talent agency, filmed scenes for Bradley Cooper’s upcoming Leonard Bernstein biopic, Maestro, and been invited to perform in Italy and Mexico. “I love Broadway and film and TV, and I just want to explore and see what I’m capable of.”

https://www.dancemagazine.com/exploring-benjamin-freemantle/

That doesn't mean he'd rule out guesting.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:35 AM, abatt said:

No, my recollection is that this is much more costly than other dance performances at City Center.  The presenters know that Osipova is a brand name who hasn't appeared in New York for years and they fully intend to squeeze every dollar out of that situation.  My concern is that most of these types of shows tend to be duds in terms of content - vanity projects with awful  new "choreography".  (Remember Diana Vishneva's shows?  The one where she was writhing on the floor?  Or how about the one where she was spinning around the stage with what looked like a crystal lampshade? ) 

I saw Osipova's last, pre-pandemic show at City Center and unfortunately your assessment that "these types of shows tend to be duds in terms of content" wasn't far off in that case. Obviously she is a STUNNING and truly special dancer, but some of the pieces very much put the old cliché that a talented performer can "read the phonebook" and be compelling to the test. I hope she has collaborators who can make more of her abundant gifts this time!

2 hours ago, Helene said:

MacKay moved to Europe a month ago to dance with Bayerishes Staatsballett:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cisrvl6PAv_/

Their ballet calendar is sparse and spread out, but there are performances of John Cranko's Romeo and Juliet and Ratmansky's Tchaikovsky Overtures in May-July.  They play a lot of opera: I'm not sure how much opera ballets the company performs in.

Two weeks in fall and four and a half weeks in late spring is pretty sparse also.

The Bavarian State Ballet seems to average about 7-8 performances a month. The fall is less active, but the number of performances increases in spring.

This season's repertoire includes Cranko's Romeo and Juliet, Wheeldon's Cinderella, a Dawson/Ratmansky/Goecke bill, Ratmansky’s new Tchaikovsky Overtures, Neumeier's A Midsummer Night's Dream, Balanchine's Jewels, the new León/Lightfoot Schmetterling, Petit's Coppélia, Patrice Bart's production of La Bayadère and a young choreographers' program, which is not too shabby.

Plus there is at least one livestreamed performance each season, which is something ABT can't offer its dancers

On 10/27/2022 at 9:50 PM, Helene said:

They play a lot of opera: I'm not sure how much opera ballets the company performs in.

Helene, the big German ballet companies dance in the same theatres as the opera companies, but they don't perform in the operas since many decades; only if they have a cooperation with the opera like for Gluck's Orphée or for modern "choreographic operas". Most modern opera directors cut the dances in the operas, they have other scenic ideas for them or they hire special dancers, not from the ballet company. In smaller opera houses with dance companies of ten or sixteen dancers (of which Germany also has a lot of), they may still have to do the operas or musicals, but not in the big companies. Even many smaller houses hire special performers for musicals or opera dances nowadays.

John Cranko "freed" his Stuttgart dancers from appearing in opera performances in 1970, the other ballet companies like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich followed him some years later.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Added: Camargo replaces Stearns again in The Dream tomorrow. This has been a difficult year for Stearns - whether injury or illness, he's missed most of it.

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of male injuries this year? 
It’s too bad about Stearns, that must be so frustrating for him. I hope he recovers quickly.
I am seeing tomorrow’s matinee, however, and have not seen Carmargo yet so I’m looking forward to that. 

I'm looking forward to The Dream tonight, along with my first viewing of The Seasons. In preparation for seeing The Dream after several years, and trying to banish the Balanchine version from my mind, last night I watched the DVD that ABT released in 2004. My goodness, Ethan Stiefel was a great dancer, and the young Herman Cornejo was truly unbelievable. With Camargo replacing Stearns tomorrow, I am tempted to go to that performance as well, and to see Cornejo in this role one last (I assume) time. 

37 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I'm looking forward to The Dream tonight, along with my first viewing of The Seasons. In preparation for seeing The Dream after several years, and trying to banish the Balanchine version from my mind, last night I watched the DVD that ABT released in 2004. My goodness, Ethan Stiefel was a great dancer, and the young Herman Cornejo was truly unbelievable. With Camargo replacing Stearns tomorrow, I am tempted to go to that performance as well, and to see Cornejo in this role one last (I assume) time. 

Tomorrow is virtually, if not completely, sold out. I looked the other day and only very few seats were left way up top.

This afternoon was a mixed bag.

Children’s Dances by Jessica Lang was ok - I’ve never warmed to her choreography much; she seems to try different ways of doing certain steps or arm positions that don’t really work, it just looks different for the sake of doing something different. The point of this piece was to demonstrate the transition from childhood to adulthood while maintaining a sense of play but I didn’t really pick up on that. But it allowed me to see certain dancers like Robare, who is bursting with natural talent and high energy, he just needs a bit more refinement. Keep an eye on him. Also, Magbitang- who is a future star. Can’t wait to see him as Puck tonight. New soloist Park looked beautiful.

The new piece Lifted was also just ok. I believe all of the mirrors were to convey POC’s desire to see themselves represented in all areas of life. It’s something that I wish was already happening, but this motif was a bit too obvious to have an impact for me. I didn’t like the score at all, it just didn’t work for most of it. It was wonderful to see a black conductor walk out. Royal had some gorgeous moments, and it was nice to see Lall featured. Lawovi is a relatively new corps dancer; he has talent but was straining far too much.

The highlight was Sinfonietta - an embarrassment of riches seeing so many principals at once dancing such gorgeous choreography to a blazing score. And, my first time seeing musicians (trumpets) on each corner of the stage under the boxes. Forster was perfectly cast, having the most beautiful grand jete out of everyone. Shevchenko and Trenary fit this piece like a glove. Bell also in wonderful form. I was surprised but thrilled to see Cornejo as well. But, the ongoing revelation this year was seeing Klein, who more than held his own on stage with so many principals. I’m gonna beat a dead horse and again ask why this man hasn’t been promoted yet?? This ballet ended far too soon.

Just now, cobweb said:

I am tempted to go to that performance as well, and to see Cornejo in this role one last (I assume) time. 

I keep that performance in a golden frame, Cobweb.

By the ways, thanks everyone for the updates on Elisabeth Beyer. I hope that they give her a chance at something big as soon as possible. I really look forward to seeing her name mentioned here.

Edited by Buddy
2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

This afternoon was a mixed bag.

Children’s Dances by Jessica Lang was ok - I’ve never warmed to her choreography much; she seems to try different ways of doing certain steps or arm positions that don’t really work, it just looks different for the sake of doing something different. The point of this piece was to demonstrate the transition from childhood to adulthood while maintaining a sense of play but I didn’t really pick up on that. But it allowed me to see certain dancers like Robare, who is bursting with natural talent and high energy, he just needs a bit more refinement. Keep an eye on him. Also, Magbitang- who is a future star. Can’t wait to see him as Puck tonight. New soloist Park looked beautiful.

The new piece Lifted was also just ok. I believe all of the mirrors were to convey POC’s desire to see themselves represented in all areas of life. It’s something that I wish was already happening, but this motif was a bit too obvious to have an impact for me. I didn’t like the score at all, it just didn’t work for most of it. It was wonderful to see a black conductor walk out. Royal had some gorgeous moments, and it was nice to see Lall featured. Lawovi is a relatively new corps dancer; he has talent but was straining far too much.

The highlight was Sinfonietta - an embarrassment of riches seeing so many principals at once dancing such gorgeous choreography to a blazing score. And, my first time seeing musicians (trumpets) on each corner of the stage under the boxes. Forster was perfectly cast, having the most beautiful grand jete out of everyone. Shevchenko and Trenary fit this piece like a glove. Bell also in wonderful form. I was surprised but thrilled to see Cornejo as well. But, the ongoing revelation this year was seeing Klein, who more than held his own on stage with so many principals. I’m gonna beat a dead horse and again ask why this man hasn’t been promoted yet?? This ballet ended far too soon.

Agree with ABT Fan. Just want to add - I'm in the minority on this board in that I like Jessica Lang's Zig Zag, but I found Children's Songs Dance just OK and way too long. In the opening section the patterning and walking motif were promising, but didn't develop into anything. I did not pick up at all on the childhood to adulthood thing that ABT Fan mentioned. And, although I generally enjoy Chick Corea music, in this case it felt like background music to me.

Lifted had some stunning moments with the set. lights and reflection pool. At two points during the piece, the audience thought it was over and started applauding enthusiastically. I would have been fine with it ending at either of those points! 

Agree that Sinfonietta was the highlight. I hadn't seen it in many years, and it really holds up. Love the quiet of the ending. Cassandra Trenary was a stand out for me with her lush, yet precise movement. I look forward to reports of her performance in The Dream.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

It was wonderful to see a black conductor walk out.

When I saw that ABT posted that Roderick Cox was conducting, I was really excited!! Crossed paths with him when he was studying for his doctorate, as I worked at the school concert hall. Happened to interact with him during his time in MN when he was with the Minnesota Orchestra before heading to Europe. So obviously, I'm partial to him, but he's definitely a stunning and gifted young classical conductor.

Trenary was absolute heaven as Titania. It's a natural fit for her - lush, expansive, technically brilliant, charming and graceful. She and Camargo had wonderful chemistry and I'd love to see them paired together more. He was an excellent Oberon and I saw none of the excessive grinning that someone else mentioned the other night. Camargo was commanding and conniving, with great footwork and excellent partnering. As I saw in Love and Rage over the summer, he has great dramatic presence. Magbitang was a fleet-footed, flying and mischievous Puck - a fantastic debut! He barely touched the ground. My mind is working overtime imaging all the other roles he'll hopefully have in his future. McBride was funny and endearing as Helena; I've never seen her in a comic role before and she's a natural. Misseldine stands out even in the corps of fairies. I would love for them to bring The Dream back again next year.

The Seasons is still problematic in many places - the dance recital costumes for some of the roles, the busyness, the too short Autumn section. But, as a Ratmansky, it provides great opportunities for corps and new soloists. Curley was a real Prince of Winter - he has better stage presence than some of the principals. He handled the tricky partnering brilliantly and is so gallant. Coker was lovely as Frost. Park did very well as Hail, but she lacked the speed and attack that Hurlin brings to it. McBride as Rose and Li as The Swallow were great together. Seo was quite beautiful as Sprit of the Corn, but she had a bit of difficulty with some of the more difficult parts of the choreography - Boylston was pretty flawless when I saw her in it at the premier. Autumn did not go so well. Ratmansky usually gets the casting right, throwing young and inexperienced dancers who posses great potential into meaty roles where they flourish, but Shealy was out of her depth. She botched the end of a series of difficult turns in her solo, not completing the last one, and she fell when about to go into a turn with Hoven. This is the first soloist role she's been given to my knowledge so maybe just needs more time, but even the parts that went well she lacked polish and authority. 

I'm sad that the Fall season is now over; It's just too short and the Met season is too far away.

Cassandra Trenary is one of the most lovely dancers I’ve seen at ABT in some time. Camargo actually moves me, which I can’t say for all of the male principals on the roster. His chemistry with Cassandra was beautiful. Between that and the debut from Elwince I couldn’t have asked for much more. I ended up spending a few minutes of The Seasons happily thinking about the day when he and Jonathan Klein get promoted. Klein’s role in The Seasons was more magnetic than some of the more senior members’ performances in my eyes. 
It’s exciting to think about the future of the company with the talent that’s blooming.

Agree with everyone about last night's performance of The Dream. Cassandra Trenary and Daniel Camargo were wonderful. This is only my second time seeing Camargo, but I think I'm in love with him. He's a large guy who effortlessly eats up the stage, with large, lush movements. He fully inhabited Oberon, with an otherworldly intensity. I'm slightly cooler on Elwince Magbitang than others here. Yes, he has the technique and charm for Puck, and was clearly enjoying himself. I think a few years of maturity will give him a deeper presence, and I also thought he has more work to do to pull Puck together seamlessly and make it more about Puck, rather than Elwince having fun. Still, for such a young guy (is he even 20?) in his debut, it was very promising. As a side note, I had not seen Chloe Misseldine before, and having heard so much about her I was on the lookout for her as one of Titania's fairies. Easy to spot! She sure is beautiful. 

This was my first viewing of The Seasons. I have mixed feelings. I would not hesitate to see it again, there's so much going on to keep the dance lover engaged. I guess I kept waiting for a deeper or more beautiful moment, but it's all froth and fun, ending in a bewildering mishmash of seasons. Mr. cobweb actually liked that, he thought that was the whole point, it's pure fun and he found it a relief after years of pandemic heaviness. With that in mind, maybe I would enjoy it more next time. Like others here, I found Jarod Curley a principal-in-waiting. Other standouts were Zimmi Coker, and Betsy McBride and Fangqi Li. Also Lea Fleytoux stands out in minor corps roles, with her beauty and easy elegance. 

Magbitang, Curley, & Misseldine were indeed in top form last night. There is another name worth mentioning in this forum—Patrick Frenette. He was truly undeniable in Sinfonietta on Friday night, soaring from wing to wing with precision and confidence. His musical phrasing and commanding presence is remarkable as is the speed at which he moves. In last night’s show of The Dream, he frantically avoided McBride’s numerous advances, until finally swooning for her during the famous Mendelssohn wedding march.  

He and Sung Woo Han (also lovely in Sinfonietta—why did they only have one show?) made a hilarious pairing as the quarreling men, yet seem wasted in supporting character roles. Both could certainly make promising Oberons. 

I first took note of Patrick as Benno in Swan Lake alongside Herman this past Met Season, and couldn’t believe he wasn’t a soloist. His bio says he joined as an apprentice in 2013, so it must be due soon. Hopefully Susan Jaffe will rectify this…it’s criminal it hasn’t happened sooner! 

I will be missing today’s matinee, and only wish this fall season could be longer. I miss the days ABT spent weeks at New York City Center. I still remember Gomes & Kent in Moor’s Pavane and many notable shows of old.